Head Hair

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Head Hair

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:15 am UTC

What about how to wear hair?

My hair is now slightly below my shoulders, some layers, and the back is slightly longer than the sides. Naturally wavy. Problem is...not long enough to easily ponytail it yet when I want to keep it back from my face (as in lab), or since it is so warm (I have really thick hair), off my neck at least somewhat (which would be nice for karate). Being really thick, it is hard to work with for braids and such on my own, and I don't have anyone who can braid it for me.

So, ideas for how to do-up hair and such? I haven't had longer hair since I was young, and then it was pigtails, or even the 80's like side-ponytail with big scrunchies! What do people do with longer hair these days?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 am UTC

My mum has that sort of awkward-length, where it's prone to fall out of a ponytail. She usually pins it back into a sort of half-up half-down do, which keeps hair out of her face.

I personally have long hair, but it's really long and thick, so I tend to just put it in a ponytail. It's getting too much for a bun, but I used to just pull it up as if doing a ponytail, and then only pull it half through to give a sort of loop of hair. I preferred this as, like you, my hair is thick and it gets hot on my neck. Side ponies are kind of still in fashion, just not super-high. Some people can pull it off, but unless you're one of the few, probably best to try other styles.
You might be able to get yours into a bun with the assistance of lots of bobby pins ;)
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Best thing ever about my hair is that it hovers exactly around the points that allow it to easily be tied into a knotted knot. And it stays without any hair implements. It's so damned convenient that some days I find I've done that without even noticing.

For shorter hair, though... when my sister's was at that awkward length, I found that she could still get her hair into two French braids, though a ponytail wouldn't work. They take longer, of course, but they also look very nice, generally.

In general, I advocate silly parted in half hairstyles, be it pigtails, braids or knots a la Sailor Moon. Having just half your hair up in a parted on both sides style is also fun, and very effective at getting the hair away from your face. Or you could do a small bit of hair (near the temple on each side) as a braid, and use that to pull back your hair, if you can get them to meet in the middle to tie off. (Or you could barrette them both, if they won't meet up.)

Uh. Yeah, I kind of enjoy fiddling with hair.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I've noticed that my hair is realllllly slow at growing. Isn't it supposed to grow about an inch a month? Well, in the last 10 months, mine has grown 5-6 inches. This makes me sad.

Whilst this is a couple of months after you posted, head hair is (I believe) meant to grow at a rate of about half an inch per month, so 5-6 inches in ten months is perfectly normal!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

@ Snug: Could you put it up using a hair grip? Like one of these (tried to find a picture of hair up in that style but my google-fu fails me)
Or possibly use these? but can be difficult with thick hair, I find.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Grab a section of it and grip it with a hair clip. If the back hair gets a bit hot for you, you can tie that loose hair while leaving in the grip. Works best with wavy/curly hair.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon May 31, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Wow ok this thread really is old now but I have another question for those who know how to colour hair better than I do...
...so I'm in this photo fun group that has 7-day photo projects - every week is a new theme. This week is Sandman (the graphic novel) well today to get "black" hair for despair wasn't too hard - I had Midnight Blue (manic panic) around so since I was doing a b&w photo it worked well. I know MP doesn't stay in my hair with the full colour for long though - usually quite faded by a week or two - so in a few days (I love this current colour!) I'm going to start washing it quite well to try to get it out (usually in about 10 washes it's mostly gone if I don't use a shampoo for coloured hair).

Then Friday is Delirium...okay how do I do streaks of colour? yellows/oranges/reds/pinks seem to be what is in her hair, I have a red/orange and I have a purple/red colour (never tried the purple/red colour) but it'd be easy to nab a more orange and a pink. But how do I segregate out my hair so it's not one blob and actual streaks of these colours?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Psylocke is my costume for this year. I have black hair - Chinese hair. What would be the feasibility of a temporary purple dye? It can't last too long since I have to work for the government, and I'm not keen on the idea of bleaching my head at all. It doesn't have to be an electric purple, just something that could be anywhere from dark purple to subtle purple sheen. Thoughts?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

The two options that come to mind are a purple wig and colored hairspray, both of which should be available at a costume store.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

Colored hairspray sounds perfect. I've never really liked the look of wigs.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:45 am UTC

I tried the Lush henna dye, the Caca Rouge.
2 blocks, just done with water (didn't add anything - there is a whole subforum on the lush forum that talks about different ways to do it to pull out this or that color) left on for 2.5 hours (my head started to itch...so I washed it off. No itch now, so not sure if it was how the dye is kinda grainy that was irritating, or if there was something in the bar not-henna making it itch)

Hair before (a little old of picture my hair is longer now, but it's the normal colour)

Hair now, right after:

They say it darkens as it oxidizes over the next couple days, so I will edit with a couple-days-after photo.

It's not the red-red I was expecting/kinda going for, but I LOVE IT.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

That's come out an amazing colour! I considered the caca rouge but thought it might be a bit much...I've tried a bit to get some photos of my hair with the caca marron, but haven't had much luck at all capturing the colour. :(
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

eigengirl

Postby eigengirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

That's a fantastic colour! I'm a Lush henna addict, and from my experience the colour will tone down after a week or so - which I was actually sad about because I loved how firey it was. If you keep using it though, it will darken the red, so now you've done it once you probably don't need to worry about it ending up orangey. If you think the grainy-ness was causing the itchyness, you could try grating it more finely - I use the smallest side on my grater and it makes it into a powder which I find to be easier to use.
I'm such a fan of the smell of it too, I actually henna-ed last night and can't stop sniffing my hair!

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:03 am UTC

Wow, that is fantastic color, Sungura.

I'm hoping someone else with chime in about colored hair spray, to answer podbaydoor's question. I've never actually used it myself, and am nervous about having recommended something I've never used, that could end up being gunky and possibly less temporary than desired.

I didn't mention a large change in my hair, this past spring, in this thread. I went from someone who shaved her own head sometimes, went to hair dressers, sometimes trimmed my own split ends, and trimmed my own bangs (as described in past posts in this thread), to someone who cuts her own hair to 1.5" and sometimes less.

This past spring, Facebook (or, rather, my friends from college who I'd recently gotten back in touch with via Facebook) encouraged me to try cutting my own hair short, because I was trying to decide between having it cut short by hair dresser and shaving it myself. And I'm so happy I now cut my own hair!

Here's what it looked like right after I cut it the first time.
And here's a picture from one of my more recent cuts.

I've made a few mistakes, including one that was pretty obvious, but it grew back in very quickly, and, as long as I don't try to cut it any shorter than about 1.5", I don't seem to have any problems at all. When I cut my hair, it is just me, a hand mirror, a sink mirror, and my hair cutting scissors. Mostly I pick my hair up with my left hand it cut it (mostly below my hand, but sometimes the more cautious above my hand) with scissors in my right hand. I get it fairly (although certainly not perfectly) even this way. I've realized, though, that if I want it any shorter than about an inch, I need to get a guide for the electric clippers and just buzz it off.

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

I cut my (short) hair as well, and a razor works better for me than scissors. Just take a clean, sharp safety razor, grab some hair, and hack away. It takes a few minutes to figure out the angle, but after that, it's pretty easy. Kind of like sculpting. But for fucksakes, be careful.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Haha, I haven't given much thought to the hair spray question because the first time I wear the costume will be a couple months away from now. But I should probably test it out first.

Gorgeous hair color, Snug.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Right now my hair is almost bra strap length with longish side swept bangs that I can't be bothered to do anything with.

My hair should start falling off within the next week or so and then I'm going to buzz it. I have about 10 scarves now and need to get a few beanie type hats and a little cap to keep my scarves in place. If I go the wig route, it will be auburn with bangs.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 am UTC

Oh I never posted a later photo, did I? Well here....it basically makes me look naturally auburn, which I love, because in the summer when my hair gets sun-streaked I tend to go auburn, and now I have it year-round but a little bolder.

Ice Storm Mar 2011_25 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

SBD

Postby SBD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 am UTC

My hair has an annoying habit of sticking out horizontally at the sides when it's the wrong length, my family called me Dagwood when I was a kid.
Physics fits your face better.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

With (color) Dagwood, I was always disturbed by the fact that the color between Dagwood's sticking-out hair is flesh-tone, making it look like he's got fleshy wings sticking out of his head. I'm guessing your hair never looked like that!

I'm impressed with how red your hair still is, Amy: it looks fantastic!

charolastra, did you get any scarves or beanies you really like? When I shaved my head (just because I wanted to, so very different from your experience), I found that hats were really useful to keep my head warm.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

I love red hair and typically will get my hair dyed an auburn color (I could pull bright red off if I dyed my eyebrows, but I'm really not interested in that) once a year (it washes out completely after a few months) Would a henna dye be able to do that?

Anyway, I ventured into this thread for some advice for those of you who probably know much more about hair than I do.

I have dark blonde hair that's bra-strap length. Currently I've just got a straight cut with bangs (straight across the forehead down to just below my eyebrows - so they're not blunt). My actual hairs are very thin but I have quite a bit of it (hairs per square inch is fairly high) so I have overall normal thickness hair. You would call my hair wavy, but on some days it's quite straight and just frizzes and on other days I can actually get some corkscrew curls.

Typically, my hair looks like a slightly darker, shorter, frizzier version of Eowyn's hair from the LOTR movies, although the wave isn't quite as even.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to make my hair look more professional. I will soon be applying for full-time jobs in engineering. I need to look professional. I know how to do that with clothes, but not so much with hair.

Due to the very fine individual hairs, my hair is always, always frizzy, and I've tried just about everything. Either it doesn't help with the frizz or it looks like I have no clue what shampoo is. I've even tried not shampooing!

I'm not willing to cut my hair shorter. I've been trying to grow it out forever and with 3-5 more inches, it will actually be the length I want. Also, I have a high forehead and a long face so getting rid of the bangs is not an option.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for a cut or just how to wear hair that will look more professional, I would really appreciate it.

eigengirl

Postby eigengirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

The colour you get from henna depends on the colour you start with - if your hair is light blonde, you're more likely to come out with a more orangey colour, whereas if you start with light-mid brown it's more likely to be auburn. It also depends on the length of time you leave the dye on for, what you mix the henna powder with etc., and the colour usually darkens over the first week or so. Also it's a permanent dye - it won't wash out.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 am UTC

KestrelLowing: I don't really know much about hair, but maybe you could put the long bit in a bun? Buns look neat even if things friz out of it a bit. I don't know what you would to with the bangs.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

KestrelLowing, do you have pictures of what your hair looks like, say, both at the beginning of a day trying to look professional and at the end? When you say you've tried "everything" to prevent frizz, what do you mean? Tin put a post in this thread some time ago about the "Curly Girl" method. I started using it, and it's been great for me. I used to have less frizzy hair than my sister because I would 1) never brush it dry and 2) dry my hands off on my hair after I washed them. This wetted down and tamed the frizzes on a regular enough basis that my hair didn't get too frizzy throughout the day. It always looked better within two hours of coming out a shower, though. Is your hair more frizzy the longer you go from it having been wet? You don't comb it dry, or ever brush it, do you?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to embed pictures here, so here are the links:
This is my hair as it normally is with some frizz control stuff in it. It was brushed when partially wet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61622943@N06/5606135654/

This is how my hair looks at the end of the day. Obviously the sun is kind of helping show the frizz, but that's just what happens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61622943@N06/5605553047/

As for what I've tried with the frizz, I've tried many varieties of frizz products, different shampoos and conditioners, different deep conditioners, etc. For a while I also attempted to use the curly girl method, but I'm not actually curly - just when it's really humid. When I don't brush my hair, it ends up looking like Ke$ha, which isn't exactly professional. :wink: Basically, it looks like I slept in a bathtub! Also, when I tried to use their gel stuff, it was far too heavy for my hair, even though I didn't use much.

The majority of hair people (I have no clue what to call them) that I've been too are quite amazed by the health of my hair (mainly because I don't use heat at all and only shampoo every couple days) but when I ask them how to control the frizz, they're kind of at a loss because they think that frizz is caused by unhealthy hair. So they usually give me some frizz control stuff that either doesn't work or is far too heavy.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

My only suggestion is: embrace the frizz! Even your end-of-day frizz isn't a bad, ugly frizz. It's just a friendly halo. I know that current fashion doesn't approve of frizz as a part of a professional hairstyle, but you say you've tried both trying to turn the frizz into curl and lots of heavy anti-frizz products, and none of it works for you.

As far how to look professional with frizzy hair, the bun suggestion is probably a good one. I'll add french braids (there is so much going on under the frizz, and it's a professional style, that the frizz might be less noticeable) and fancy headbands (it's really easy to go causal with headbands, but there are also fancy headbands) with your hair otherwise down as additional suggestions.

Your hair doesn't look anything like bad, damaged hair frizz, modeled by my spouse in this earlier post.

It sounds like you've tired the curly girl method already and don't want to try it again, so I'm not going to convince you try it (but it uses leave-in-conditioner, not any "gel stuff"). I didn't have any idea what you meant by hair like Ke$ha, and I did a google image search, and found some pretty professional looking hair styles (along with one or two deliberately tall and messy hairstyles, but mostly not) that looked like what the curly girl method does for wavy hair. If you want to embrace the wave, you have to avoid the brush, but it sounds like you're not interested in going that direction.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 am UTC

French braids are one of my mainstays!

And I think you're right, I'll probably just have to go with it. Maybe I'll just straighten it for interviews and the like when it actually matters. Although that would require owning a straightener...

I looked at the curly girl method again, and I was a bit deceived by what the curly girl method was. (There is a line of products by the person who basically started the curly girl method - it includes a gel that I tried and just didn't work because my hair's too long and it doesn't help define anything at all.)

But, I looked back at it, and I'm kind of impressed! I'm doing the majority of what they say... except for avoiding the brushing! (I limit my use of shampoo, make sure there's no silicone or sulfates in stuff) Basically, I'm just trying to avoid the 'beachy waves look' that, in my opinion, doesn't look like you tried to make your hair look nice.

Oh, this may be of interest to people with longer hair:

I just tried out the "spin pins" from Goody, and they're freaking awesome. Here's what they look like:

Basically, it's a double helix that you spin into your hair to make it hold. They work wonderfully well and it's the kind of thing where I wonder why I haven't heard of them before/they didn't exist before. They're REALLY easy to use. So far I've only put my hair in a bun with these, but it works really well and I can see how a french twist could easily be done. I'm also going to try it out on a 'gibson tuck' (my go-to updo) and see if it will help with the hairtie showing.

While I don't have very thick hair, my housemate does, and hers is down to her lower back. She tried these and her bun stayed put and felt secure! But, with her amount of hair if she really wanted it to stay put (say, for working out), she probably could have bought another pair.

I'm so glad I got these before summer!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 am UTC

I like using the shea butter from organix, it's light and I have the same outer frizz to my hair, and it stops that from happining. It doesn't make it feel like anything is in my hair either. Just one squirt in my hand, rub my hands together, run my fingers/palms through my hair, viola.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

I shave my head since it's half gone on its own anyway. :(

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:My mum has that sort of awkward-length, where it's prone to fall out of a ponytail. She usually pins it back into a sort of half-up half-down do, which keeps hair out of her face.

I personally have long hair, but it's really long and thick, so I tend to just put it in a ponytail. It's getting too much for a bun, but I used to just pull it up as if doing a ponytail, and then only pull it half through to give a sort of loop of hair. I preferred this as, like you, my hair is thick and it gets hot on my neck. Side ponies are kind of still in fashion, just not super-high. Some people can pull it off, but unless you're one of the few, probably best to try other styles.
You might be able to get yours into a bun with the assistance of lots of bobby pins ;)

At the dollar store where I live, I can buy 100 packs of bobby pins for $1 and go though them in about 3 weeks. I have very thick hair that skims my lower back, and I put it up in a messy ballerina bun to keep it up and out of the way

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 am UTC

So I really want to dye my hair a bright red over the summer as I'm bored of my natural colour again.
Does anybody know of any good hair dyes, sold in the UK, to do this with? I just want easy-ish to apply, permanent and nice red colour, but certainly a more bright red rather than a natural gingery colour.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 am UTC

I know of no such dyes, but can really recommend doing so. A good friend of mine did (until a job forced her to stop) and she looked really stellar.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

They exist, I just can't remember which dye my friend uses. Heh. She's also away from a computer and her phone isn't working, so I guess I can't ask. It might be stargazer, it might not. She used to use stargazer, but now she uses all sorts of different brands for all her different colours.

Edit: I asked her! She come over my house which kind of solved the problem.

She recommended picking out a shade you like here and recommended the brand Decisions and their colour Fire.

That website is pretty cool for hair colour, anyway.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Swarfy

Postby Swarfy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Sorry for the necroing, but I didn't feel like making a new post, and I wasn't sure if making a new post for this would be allowed.

I have some questions that you people may be able to answer for me. I'm going to be dyeing my hair purple here in the near future. Not a big deal as I've had my hair green, blue, purple, pink, etc., etc. My deal is this. Back in December I got my hair dyed black with red streaks running through it. And now that I'm wanting to go purple again I'm wondering what kind of tips you guys have.

I've done some reading and I've seen two differing opinions on this...
A) Bleach the hair as it is and then dye it with no issues.
and
B) I need to get a color remover, wait a week, Use some heavy conditioner during that week, then bleach my hair to how I need it (The platinum blond so the purple REALLY shows as my hair is a natural dark blond/brown color) wait a few days and then dye it the purple.

Anyone have any experience with this? What do I need to do?

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Hi! Sorry for the necro but I think a new thread would be pointless.
I cut my own hair yesterday but I think I took off a bit too much and it looks kinda weird, and I thought I might improve it by getting it to stand up a bit like this:
Spoiler:

(more or less my length and colour).
Except last time I tried I used gel which made it heavy and the spikes I tried to make tended to curl down. Any advice?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

How much gel did you use, and what sort of gel was it?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Probably too much? And I don't remember what kind as it was years ago. I think someone suggested hairspray back then but I never got around to trying it.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Hairspray and gel will give you quite different textures and pliabilities in the end. It's very easy, I find, to use too much hair gel. You need a surprisingly small amount. I also find it's generally best to add in very small amounts, and work towards your desired hairstyle, only adding more gel as necessary. It can be difficult to get the hang of it, but once you know how much gel you need for your hair and the look you want, it becomes natural.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

I prefer hair wax to gel for that sort of styling. I think it's easier to get the right sort of shape to the hair and I like the texture of the hair better. SumoTech is what I used when I had short hair http://www.sephora.com/sumotech-P280508 ... ku=1270677

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

But if all I have in my house right now is hairspray, how would I apply it?

Return to “General”