Head Hair

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TaintedDeity

Re: Head Hair

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Hey, SexyTalon, you should totally scan a picture of your highschool days.
Ⓞⓞ◯

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:How can a shampoo leave natural oils on your head? At it's core, it's soap, which reacts with oil like molecules and then washes them away. I understand how two in ones work, because essentially the first wash removes the soap, and leaves the conditioner in it's wake. But, how can you make soap that works (cleans, by removing oil and other polymers) and leaves oil...

Yes, this is what I was thinking. Shampooing your hair all the time will just strip hair of it's natural oils. Using a conditioner afterwards helps to bring back what the shampoo lost and well, conditioners your hair. A sulphate free shampoo would be less harsh, but it's still meant to only clean your hair.
i dare you to take me on...

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I have found conditioner for curly hair! (Sunsilk waves and curls). They didn't have any of the matching shampoo yet, but I'm hopeful I'll find it this weekend. Then I might treat myself to some of the invisifix stuff that moo was talking about. I am determined to make my hair curlyful and loverly now :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

tin wrote:
Jessica wrote:How can a shampoo leave natural oils on your head? At it's core, it's soap, which reacts with oil like molecules and then washes them away. I understand how two in ones work, because essentially the first wash removes the soap, and leaves the conditioner in it's wake. But, how can you make soap that works (cleans, by removing oil and other polymers) and leaves oil...

Yes, this is what I was thinking. Shampooing your hair all the time will just strip hair of it's natural oils. Using a conditioner afterwards helps to bring back what the shampoo lost and well, conditioners your hair. A sulphate free shampoo would be less harsh, but it's still meant to only clean your hair.

Mainly, ingredients. The cheaper shampoos have harsher chemicals, but others have a combination that counteract the drying agents.

Remember that head oils are not once a day occurrences; they're released continuously. What these shampoos do is remove the excess, not entirety. Thus, your hair won't drown or lack circulation due to blockage.

Remember that these are businesses. Haircare is a razor-sharp industry. Products that get a bad rep for being inconvenient to haircare quickly go down in flames. People tend to pick up these poor notions about shampoos because they're often buying cheap shampoos. Pantene comes to mind, with an ingredient that hardens hair and leads to breakage and brittleness. If you go cheap where it matters, you end up with bad results.

Also, the Curly Girl method also rises as a result of lack of haircare for non-kinky/curly/wavy hair. It's always the emphasis on straight, thick, Caucasian/Asian hair. So it's no surprise that such a lack of availability of options for these demographics leads to people having to deal with their hair in terms of the preponderance of products aimed at the straight hair look.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Pantene comes to mind, with an ingredient that hardens hair and leads to breakage and brittleness. If you go cheap where it matters, you end up with bad results.

Odd - Pantene is the only shampoo/condition brand I've tried that *doesn't* make my hair dry and feeling like straw. Every hair thing I've tried has left my hair a total puffball on the day I wash it at best (some of them made it puffy no matter how long I waited >_< ); now I'm using Pantene I can just comb it and it's fine and soft and smooth and well-behaved. Still, I was planning on switching to that Fructis stuff that was mentioned just as soon as I got a reasonable income, so I guess it doesn't matter. :P

(Hair fess: I put way to high a value on how a shampoo scents my hair. :oops: )

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Hyphe wrote:(Hair fess: I put way to high a value on how a shampoo scents my hair. :oops: )
So much this. I love the natural source range simply because it smells amazing.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

I'm happy to report that the Fructis brands have lovely scents. But if scent is what you're interested in, a dab of scented spray suffices and lasts longer.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am UTC

My hairdresser used a sample she got given by a rep on my hair this weekend, and when I raved about the smell she gave it to me. It's some sort of mousse from Milkshake and it smells JUST like toffee. SO YUMMY!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:36 am UTC

Moo wrote:My hairdresser used a sample she got given by a rep on my hair this weekend, and when I raved about the smell she gave it to me. It's some sort of mousse from Milkshake and it smells JUST like toffee. SO YUMMY!

Moo, I am going to eat your hair.

And if that ain't the strangest thing you've heard all week...

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:15 am UTC

Ok guys, heres a question... I have pin straight no curl what so ever hair. I think it sucks. When I was a kid (figure maybe about 20 ish years ago) my mom sent me for a perm.

It was not good.

So, What options do I have for some volume? I'd just love to get it off this beach ball I call a head...
for further info about my hair:
Its currently short-- 3inches or so, when its much longer, it gets super heavy and no matter what I do, it just is flat., Its also thin, but I have 9 tons of hair (the illusion of volume)... I'm also a light bottle blond (My color lately has been Manic Panic's Electric Sunshine.)

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

So the focus so far has been top-of-head hair. But about front-of-head face hair?

Any tips for the care of facial hair? I really like keeping my goatee long, but facial hair tends to be so much coarser. I usually put shampoo and conditioner in it when I'm showering. Is this okay? Can anything else be done to make it softer? It seems like the shampoo and conditioner helps, but I wonder if there's more I can do.

What about tips for encouraging growth? The current length (about 3 inches/7.6cm) is about the longest I can ever manage to grow it, but I've always wanted more length out of it.

Also, it tends to be pretty unruly and I have a hard time keeping it very well groomed. The hair just kind of does its own thing however I try and force it to behave.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

I too would like to know about encouraging facial hair growth. I've always wanted a beard, but the spot right under my chin just dosn't grow any hair. The center of my chin is also extremely thin. It grows well enough on the next and on the sides of my chin, but it could be a lot thicker on my cheeks....

I'm hopping it will fill out as I get older. I'm only 19, soon to be 20, so it should eventually fill out.... right?

If not, are there ways to get it to start growing where I want it to grow?
Oh. Well that's alright then.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:So the focus so far has been top-of-head hair. But about front-of-head face hair? Any tips for the care of facial hair? I really like keeping my goatee long, but facial hair tends to be so much coarser. I usually put shampoo and conditioner in it when I'm showering. Is this okay? Can anything else be done to make it softer? It seems like the shampoo and conditioner helps, but I wonder if there's more I can do. What about tips for encouraging growth? The current length (about 3 inches/7.6cm) is about the longest I can ever manage to grow it, but I've always wanted more length out of it. Also, it tends to be pretty unruly and I have a hard time keeping it very well groomed. The hair just kind of does its own thing however I try and force it to behave.
GoodRudeFun wrote:I too would like to know about encouraging facial hair growth. I've always wanted a beard, but the spot right under my chin just dosn't grow any hair. The center of my chin is also extremely thin. It grows well enough on the next and on the sides of my chin, but it could be a lot thicker on my cheeks....I'm hopping it will fill out as I get older. I'm only 19, soon to be 20, so it should eventually fill out.... right? If not, are there ways to get it to start growing where I want it to grow?
Personally - I throw some conditioner on there every couple of days and that makes it not so stabby-coarse, but I also keep it relatively short. When I did have it fairly long.. I, uh, did the same thing with similar results - not as coarse as if I'd not, but still noticably rougher than top-o'-the-noggin hair.

Sadly, there's not much one can do to increase length or density. Same thing with head-hair, your hair's basically designed via your genetics to grow for only so long before going dormant and eventually falling out. As far as keeping it under control - you may want to look in to mustache waxes.

GRF - if it makes you feel any better, mine's still filling in and I'm damn near 30.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

That does actually. At the very least I may eventually be able to have facial hair that doesn't look sleazy or stupid.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good detangling spray? My hair is pretty much indestructable...I use whatever shampoo and conditioner are on sale, and cruelty-free, if possible, and I dye it myself. I know this is bad, but the thing is, I get more compliments on my hair than anything else about me. It's really nice and strong and shiny. I haven't gotten a haircut since January, and I still don't have any split ends. I need some good detangling spray, though, because I am spending a lot of time lately out in the sun and the lake, and it's pretty much impossible to get a brush through it when I get home. I hate just yanking at it with a brush until all the knots come out, because I know that's not very good for it.

Also, after my wedding in September, I'm thinking of getting it cut short. Does anyone have any recommendations on short, low-ish maintenance hairstyles? I had an Amelie-style bob with bangs before, and I liked that, but I'm open to suggestions. If I hate it, well, it's just hair, it grows back fast.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:13 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a good detangling spray? My hair is pretty much indestructable...I use whatever shampoo and conditioner are on sale, and cruelty-free, if possible, and I dye it myself. I know this is bad, but the thing is, I get more compliments on my hair than anything else about me. It's really nice and strong and shiny. I haven't gotten a haircut since January, and I still don't have any split ends. I need some good detangling spray, though, because I am spending a lot of time lately out in the sun and the lake, and it's pretty much impossible to get a brush through it when I get home. I hate just yanking at it with a brush until all the knots come out, because I know that's not very good for it.

Also, after my wedding in September, I'm thinking of getting it cut short. Does anyone have any recommendations on short, low-ish maintenance hairstyles? I had an Amelie-style bob with bangs before, and I liked that, but I'm open to suggestions. If I hate it, well, it's just hair, it grows back fast.

Remember that while it may be fine now, strange things happen to hair with age/diet/hormonal turns.

As for detangling spray,

http://www.drugstore.com/popups/largerp ... 29&trxp2=1
does the job for me.

crickets

Postby crickets » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for a good detangling spray? My hair is pretty much indestructable...I use whatever shampoo and conditioner are on sale, and cruelty-free, if possible, and I dye it myself. I know this is bad, but the thing is, I get more compliments on my hair than anything else about me. It's really nice and strong and shiny. I haven't gotten a haircut since January, and I still don't have any split ends. I need some good detangling spray, though, because I am spending a lot of time lately out in the sun and the lake, and it's pretty much impossible to get a brush through it when I get home. I hate just yanking at it with a brush until all the knots come out, because I know that's not very good for it.

I'm going to be a total nerd and recommend the Loreal Kids Detangling spray. It comes in a bottle shaped like a fish! And it smells like delicious, delicious pears. A girl i know uses it on wigs to style them, which means it probably does the job just fine, and it's cheap too!

Did i mention the fish bottle and delicious pear smell? Cause that's what sold me on it.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:20 am UTC

crickets wrote:

I'm going to be a total nerd and recommend the Loreal Kids Detangling spray. It comes in a bottle shaped like a fish! And it smells like delicious, delicious pears. A girl i know uses it on wigs to style them, which means it probably does the job just fine, and it's cheap too!

Did i mention the fish bottle and delicious pear smell? Cause that's what sold me on it.
My mom did that...

... I still have no idea wtf the wigs were for though...

zug

Postby zug » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:30 am UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:My mom did that...

... I still have no idea wtf the wigs were for though...

Merkins.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Merkins?

I don't know because she was crazy. There was logic behind it, but it was crazy person logic. All I know is she made me comb and detangle them....

it was weird....

zug

Postby zug » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 am UTC

teehee!

Merkins are
Spoiler:
pubic wigs, frequently used in the past to cover up the fact that one had to shave their pubic hair due to an STD
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:46 am UTC

>.<

Sad thing is it's a possibility... but they didn't look anything like pubic hair, so I doubt it.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am UTC

I use Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo, or Equate if I'm feeling cheap. I started using baby shampoo when I was about 13, as puberty was causing a huge amount of dandruff and peeling scalp. The baby shampoo is apparently much more gentle and it helped my scalp recover, so I've been using it since.

I got a haircut this weekend!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Cold

Postby Cold » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:38 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I got a haircut this weekend!

Cute!
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Very nice haircut, podbaydoor! It looks so simple and clean and nice. I don't know how I'd deal with what looks like inevitable hair in eyes, though.

Face hair people: I'm sorry I have absolutely no advice for you! My spouse shaved his beard, because he thought the two white spots were making him look too old to be a graduate student. I really liked the look, and will miss his beard.

I looked over the Curly Girl Method as described on the WikiHow that tin linked, and I've been trying a few things. I've been putting leave-in conditioner in (a first for me), and "plopping" (which I'd never even heard of). I think it's helping. I also started to tuck the short hair in the front behind my ears, and I think that's really helping.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Enuja wrote:Very nice haircut, podbaydoor! It looks so simple and clean and nice. I don't know how I'd deal with what looks like inevitable hair in eyes, though.

Face hair people: I'm sorry I have absolutely no advice for you! My spouse shaved his beard, because he thought the two white spots were making him look too old to be a graduate student. I really liked the look, and will miss his beard.

I looked over the Curly Girl Method as described on the WikiHow that tin linked, and I've been trying a few things. I've been putting leave-in conditioner in (a first for me), and "plopping" (which I'd never even heard of). I think it's helping. I also started to tuck the short hair in the front behind my ears, and I think that's really helping.

Yeah, side and frontal hair is a bastard for people with curly hair, with all the sticking up that goes against the longer hair that flows back, so you have these erupting flyaways breaking the shape of your hair.

Mid-length hair is truly nightmarish for people with no straight hair. Hair has to get long to get weight and see less flyaways. It's an issue of extremes for people with these textures; you either go long or short, and if it stays midlength, prepare to come to terms with hair that takes copious time to possess a semblance of structure.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Even though my hair has been as long as most of the way down my back, I'm pretty sure what I've got now is essentially the least frizzy and most neat and curly it's ever been as "long" hair. (It's always better within two or so hours of having been wet.) Below is a re-post of a picture I posted of my hair on page 1.

After this length (except the shorter hairs at the front, which are still catching up in length), my hair just gets harder and harder to manage, and frizzier and frizzier, and the curls can't seem to stand up to the weight, despite the fact that I have fairly thin hair. In fact, at all of the "awkward" lengths so far, I've really liked my hair (better than I do right now). It's finally long enough that I often have that scraggly/open look at the back of my head, which I've always hated. With medium/long hair, my side hair (that I can see in the mirror by turning my head a bit) has always been better than the back of my head. That wasn't true with the short "awkward" lengths, which I really liked. I'm planning to work on having good long hair (because I think of it as long now) for the next year, and then shave my head in the spring of 2010.

However, I'm also considering cutting it now, leaving it long in the sense of "not shaped like my head" but short in most senses, including the sense of too short for a pony tail. I wonder if a bob works for my wavy/curly hair? Specifically, I'm thinking bangs (they curl on the sides of my forehead or curl back), hair at the front just below chin level, and shorter in the back, maybe even a section of so-short-it's-straight (probably accomplished by periodic shaving) at the back of my head. It would be layered, because the hair from the top of my head is curling to about the bottom of my ears. What do you all think? It'd keep hair at the back from doing funny things with collars and being hot, and leave some hair long enough to really do fun curling things.

On wet hair and combing:
The Curly Girl Method says to only de-tangle your hair when wet, to never comb when dry. Lucrece says that hair is much more breakable when wet and should be combed dry, not wet. Does anyone know of some reliable sources that could clear this up? (Like a controlled study where at least straight, wavy, and curly hair were combed only wet and only dry for at least two years, and compared?)

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:41 am UTC

I kept tucking my bangs behind my ears when I was growing my hair out, and now everything on my head is curly except those bits that barely have wave. True story.

Advice needed please: I want to start swimming more regularly again to be active but I am not fond of the idea of that much chlorine in my hair. I wash my hair every 3rd day, every 2nd at the most, so I've already decided not to swim more often than that, but I still worry about whether my regular shampoo will wash out all of the chlorine and whether I should give it extra special love after a swim. I tried a cap but it won't stay on.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

First of all, from many years on swim team I know that a decent swim cap *will* stay on your head. If you really want a swim cap, look for a silicone one, and if you need to, wear goggles over it to help hold it on. That said, a swim cap will not keep your hair dry. I never used any kind of special products on my hair, and my hair was just fine, and I was swimming 5 days a week. My sister, however, has lighter and finer hair than I do, and her hair turned dried out, brittle, and had a greenish cast from being exposed to chlorine so frequently. She had very good luck with Swimmer's Solution brand products. They basically kept her hair smooth and hydrated, and took out the green. It probably depends on how durable your hair is whether your hair will need any help.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

I had a silicone cap and always swim with goggles, but elasticated headbands don't even stay on my head, it has a very odd shape. Curly hair is also almost always dry to begin with.

I will see if you get Swimmer's Solution here, thanks.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

I think my swim coach would have viewed an odd head shape as a personal challenge. He was kind of tyrannical about swim caps. And I meant keep it dry as "keep it from getting wet, and therefore chlorinated." My hair was soaked at the end of every workout, regardless of swim cap status.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Gogo hair thread!

I will soonish be getting a brand new haircut - much much shorter than my hair is currently, and possibly with unusual colouring. The problem is my hair is very very thick and very very wavy/curly - but currently the weight of it pulls it mostly straight, and it's often not obvious until half way through a haircut how much hair I have, it seems. I don't trust the average hairdresser to be able to manage it, and I really really want a good cut - it's not like I'll be able to get it fixed by cutting it shorter...

How do I go about finding a good one? Are there review sites? I know hardly anyone around here, certainly none with hair like mine, so I can't ask for personal recommendations. I don't want to ask only the hairdresser, because it's in their interest to say "yes, of course I can do that!". Does anyone know of a hairdresser with experience cutting hard-to-cut hair in Oxford/Swindon/central London? (see how much I care? I'll even commute! :P)

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Hyphe, I certainly don't know of any hairdressers in your entire country (and naturallycurly.com only lists one curly Salon in Greater London), and I don't know much about stylists in general, but I'm going to guess that if you're spending a fair amount of money on a stylist, he or she will have pictures of people whose hair they have cut, and you can see if they include a fair amount of thick & curly/wavy hair in their book. I'm going to guess that if you go to an upscale salon at all, they'll have at least one person who specializes in curly hair. When you make your appointment, ask about that, and ask for an appointment with that person.

I think I'm going to keep my idea above about the bob with shorter hair for next spring. I learned that headbands were good when my hair was still shorter, and I'm learning that it still really, really helps make my hair work. And I've just started to put my hair up in bun-type things. And, especially as I'm moving to Chicago and think that the warmth from hair might be helpful, I think I'm going to stick with it. Picture of the back of my hair with my hair up:

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:46 am UTC

The best advertisement for a salon is a customer that looks great. Keep your peepers open for others with very curly or wavy hair that is similar to yours. If you see someone, don't be shy about asking them where they get their hair done. Chances are, they have the same problem and will be happy to help =]

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I have found conditioner for curly hair! (Sunsilk waves and curls). They didn't have any of the matching shampoo yet, but I'm hopeful I'll find it this weekend. Then I might treat myself to some of the invisifix stuff that moo was talking about. I am determined to make my hair curlyful and loverly now :)

check out umberto giannini curl friends stuff: shampoo, condidioner and a bunch of styling products often on 3for2 at boots too, win! I use the mousse religiously, it is excellent.
Also, curlywirly from lush is very nice, and it smells of coconut :)
As for treatments, I swear by monoi oil slathered on and left overnight. Hair doctor, h'suan wen hua and jasmine and henna fluff ease (all from lush) are rather nice, and if you leave them on overnight (rather than the 20 mins they suggest) they really do the trick, and they make your hair smell lovely for days after.

my hair:
Spoiler:
could do with a trim really, the ends are getting a bit straggly. My hair gets abused in the summer, I'm in the sea a lot.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

Ok. I want to go short.

This is what I look like now:

I'm thinking something like the above. I love the pixie look, personally. the cut short. Maybe I should look for a bob, or an A line bob... which I'd love to find some photos of...

But, I want short.

thoughts?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

I hear the A line Bob is a win. I don't know enough about how your hair acts (body and such) to really be able to picture things on your head, but people recommend the bob.
Also, short is pretty fun, especially when it is super hot out. I say go for your fav. hair grows back after all.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I totally love the a line bob, but I don't know if my wavy poofy hair would do well with it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

So, I've been working on dying my hair in green and black streaks. I bleached out my fine, blond hair for about 10 minutes and then used manic panic to put in the color. I put the black in first for about a half hour, because I assumed it would absorb into my hair and show up much better then the green would, and then I rinsed and put the green in for about two hours.

Now after I washed it just once with fructis color shampoo and conditioner almost all of the black has washed out! Most of the green is left, though. It still looks reasonably nice, and is nice and soft, even after all of this chemical torture, but I'm disappointed with how quickly the black left me. What I want to know is, what did I do wrong with the black? I guess I should have left it in for as long as I did with the green. What can I do to make the colors stay brighter for longer?

Also, what is a good hair dye brand for neon and bright colors? I had thought that manic panic was supposed to be good, but I'm not terribly pleased with the results.

Right now my hair is kind of golden and green with a few black high lights, and then this random streak of light coppery red that is one last hold out from a previous dye attempt. What do you guys think I should do? It looks reasonably nice and I'm comfortable going out with it as is, but I do want to try and get the color more vibrant.

Should I attempt to get the black and green streaks again? I really liked how that looked, but it's a lot of work and not worth it if it's going to be completely washed out the next time I wash my hair. Right now I'm thinking that I should just put green dye all over and leave it in for a few hours.

EDIT: Some pictures of my hair.

Spoiler:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

Jess, I personally adore the 3rd pic but your fav is nice too. I love short hair, especially if it's got just a bit of a cute, feminine or funky twist.

I think the most important thing though is to consult with a good stylist who'll know much better than us what will suit your look, hair and lifestyle.

Return to “General”