What are your ambitions for the future?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kapojinha

Re: What are your ambitions for the future?

Postby kapojinha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

Black.Rose.Immortal wrote:I'd like to join the navy for a while (travel and work! Hurray!). Eventually I want to write a book and own an art gallery.

Watch out, I could be your boss someday. :mrgreen:
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

Mr. N wrote:
GoodRudeFun wrote:New ideas.
I want to figure out the innovations of crime in the future, and not earn a huge sum of money. I'd then like to get caught, and then work with the FBI to catch criminals who can't hold a candle to my brilliance.

Sounds like an idea for a TV show...

Too late!

Stolen.
Was actually a movie before that....

and a true story before that.

I just want to be the next version :P

Lots of people joining the navy these days. Why? Maybe I'm just biased.... they did completely destroy everything my father had made for himself. Of course it wouldn't have happened if he wasn't an alcoholic....

who had recovered 10 years before, but oh wait! You want your career to go anywhere? Well if you don't participate in their retarded initiations that's not likely to happen. Guess what those initiations include!

I'm sure thing's have changed though. Good luck. I hope the navy doesn't completely fuck all of your hopes and dreams like it has for others.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Not to get off topic, but what initiations are you talking about? And why do they involve alcohol..? :?
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:Not to get off topic, but what initiations are you talking about? And why do they involve alcohol..? :?

Don't let him scare you, kapojinha. When you arrive, you find out who the biggest, meanest soldier in the place is and you knock him on his ass. No one will bother you after that. Wait... I might be thinking of the wrong place...
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

No worries N, he doesn't scare me. :wink:
Yeah.. I'm not sure arriving at USNA and hitting the first upperclassman I see is exactly the way to go. *shudders at the thought*

Anyways! Let's here about more people's ambitions and whatnot for the future.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

I want to go back to school, maybe get my MSW, or my PhD in psych, and help teens in the LGBT community with their problems.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

negatron

Postby negatron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:
negatron wrote:
Rakysh wrote:
negatron wrote:My ambitions are much greater than any of yours, yet don't involve personal wealth and success.

Care to expand? Or are you just going to keep patronising people.

That was my intention, but if you insist on ruining it for me. I'm looking towards civilizations technological developments as a primary influence on personal well being. This clearly has a far more dramatic effect than personal finance.

You just got my goat with the arrogance of saying anything you want is so much better and more worthy than anything anyone else wants.

Oh no, you have it all wrong. An ambition is a desire, not an expectation. I don't expect my accomplishments to be more meaningful than any other here, but an average life is just complacency, not ambition. If I have exceedingly fancy pie-in-the-sky ambitions it suggests more of foolishness than arrogance.

Of course to be objective, having your own planet with a mansion the size of texas and a thousand fancy cars whilst granting yourself immortality is clearly better than anything anyone else has mentioned thus far. If I were to say this is my ambition, then clearly some ambitions are more grandiose than others, even if completely nuts.
Last edited by negatron on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

negatron wrote:
Rakysh wrote:
negatron wrote:
Rakysh wrote:
negatron wrote:My ambitions are much greater than any of yours, yet don't involve personal wealth and success.

Care to expand? Or are you just going to keep patronising people.

That was my intention, but if you insist on ruining it for me. I'm looking towards civilizations technological developments as a primary influence on personal well being. This clearly has a far more dramatic effect than personal finance.

Oh, well as long as it was your intention, that's fine. And you intend to pay for the research by....

Oh no, you have it all wrong. An ambition is a desire, not an expectation. I don't expect my accomplishments to be more meaningful than any other here, but an average life is just complacency, not ambition. If I have exceedingly fancy pie-in-the-sky ambitions it suggests more of foolishness than arrogance.

As a general comment, I must say I disagree with the part I've put in bold.

The ones who dream big are generally the ones who do well. Do you think Bill Gates got where he is by aiming low and not expecting to accomplish anything big? Of course not!
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

negatron

Postby negatron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

TheGuyWithTheHat wrote:
negatron wrote:If I have exceedingly fancy pie-in-the-sky ambitions it suggests more of foolishness than arrogance.

The ones who dream big are generally the ones who do well. Do you think Bill Gates got where he is by aiming low and not expecting to accomplish anything big? Of course not!

It takes a thousand fools to light up the world. Bill Gates was a fool as big as any other in the attempt to alter the path of the computing industry. He succeeded, but no less a fool for trying.

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

negatron wrote:
TheGuyWithTheHat wrote:
negatron wrote:If I have exceedingly fancy pie-in-the-sky ambitions it suggests more of foolishness than arrogance.

It takes a thousand fools to light up the world. Bill Gates was a fool as big as any other in the attempt to alter the path of the computing industry. He succeeded, but no less a fool for trying.

Then I'm a huge fool... One who will end up rich and successful! I'll be looking down at you from my G650 :P
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

negatron wrote:Oh no, you have it all wrong. An ambition is a desire, not an expectation. I don't expect my accomplishments to be more meaningful than any other here, but an average life is just complacency, not ambition. If I have exceedingly fancy pie-in-the-sky ambitions it suggests more of foolishness than arrogance.

Hmm. Ok, I apologise. My mistake was thinking greater=better. Your tone wasn't as friendly as it could of been though.

negatron

Postby negatron » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

TheGuyWithTheHat wrote:my G650 :P

Of course you meant to say "my time-traveling armada of G650s". Anything less would be uninspiring.

Rakysh wrote:Hmm. Ok, I apologise. My mistake was thinking greater=better.

Nonsense. My tone was clearly condescending and we both know it, but it stirs up good conversation. I rarely miss the opportunity. Thank you for taking me up on it :D

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

negatron wrote:

Of course you meant to say "my time-traveling armada of G650s". Anything less would be uninspiring.

You mock me now, but I'd like to see your face if you happen to see my Maybach driving down the road!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

TheGuyWithTheHat wrote:
negatron wrote:

You mock me now, but I'd like to see your face if you happen to see my Maybach driving down the road!

I'll stick with my high-tech time travelling Locomotive, thank you very much.

However, I'd like to see your faces when I become the sole hegemony of Earth! All I need are some military trained supergenius kids who are loyal to my cause, and I'm set.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

negatron wrote:
Rakysh wrote:Hmm. Ok, I apologise. My mistake was thinking greater=better.

Nonsense. My tone was clearly condescending and we both know it, but it stirs up good conversation. I rarely miss the opportunity. Thank you for taking me up on it :D

Heh, well said. If only all things like this ended that way. And no problem with the taking up thing.

*love in*

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Perhaps, then, the only thing more foolish than having ambition is having no ambition at all. Ambition may not guarantee you success, but lack of ambition guarantees mediocrity.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

I want to specialize in something interesting and then using my knowledge I'll do something awesome that'll change humanity as we know it.
Yup, that's my only real ambition in life.

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

Short term goals are to learn to draw, learn to sculpt, and build a fountain in the family's yard. Long term goals are get a job doing engineering work instead of landscaping, buy large plot of land, build a base on said land and have friends assault it....
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

hakadosh
Location: 3rd shack on the northern crater, sea of tranquility, moon (earth's moon)

Postby hakadosh » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Immediate goal: To design completely self-sustainable underwater apartments that can be either moored in calm waters or can be used to travel around the world.
Later, develop a fleet of such modules to build a huge mobile underwater city.
Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Create a fully functioning 4 person airship that can land in a medium sized garden. I don't think I'd ever travel locally without it.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

thatblackguy

Postby thatblackguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

Oh me yarm Oh.
<GauntletWizard> Here's the answer: Computers are far too complex, let's just program everything using Bubblesort. Hardware will catch up
- Wisdom from #signal

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Reading all you people's ambitions makes me feel a bit lesser.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

DerVorleser

Postby DerVorleser » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Well, it looks like my ambitions are pathetic compared to your peoples'. Get 5s in the six APs I'm taking this year->get into one of my preffered schools in England (couldn't afford/get into my preffered American ones) -> get a job at Intel
Image <3

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:Not to get off topic, but what initiations are you talking about? And why do they involve alcohol..? :?
It had something to do with becoming a chief. There's some sort of ritual the sailors do, sort of like frat houses I think. I recall our neighbor had made chief as well but refused to drink, I don't remember how that played out, but I don't think it was a good sign for my dad. He had recently quit drinking I think, and was supposedly doing really well.

Then I remember there being a big fight about it, and hearing things like they'd make you walk around wearing huge weights, or they'd make you drink a bunch of beer and throw the bottles on the ground and walk through it.

Don't worry though, I'm very sure it's gone now. I'm willing to bet the navy has cracked down on things like that as I hear they have cracked down heavily on alcohol related incidents....

which, ironically, is how my dad got compeltely and totally fucked by the navy. They kicked him out, the descision made a day before he hit the 18 year mark where he would have been safe. It was unheard of to kick him out for his offence with his level of seniority in the navy. They did it to make an example, and long story short my dad lost 18 years of his life.

But as I said, you should be ok. I have a grudge, obviously, but this is a rare case. Just don't let yourself develop a drinking problem.

nothinglikeit22

Postby nothinglikeit22 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:39 am UTC

1) save da earth by becoming a enviromental engineer and reshapon the thinking of society (also be rich enough to have someone else pick the pomegranite seeds out of my pomegranites)
2) live up north and be a mailman'
3) somoething involving chicago
4) plan b: be a bum in a major city
5) plan a: continue to longboard forever

i'm sure there are other things i'd like to do but i cantg think of them. i'd also like to have friends. And mabye sometimes i'm adventure starved enough to think about joining the army, but i dont know if i could actually do it.

sounds like i got stuff to think about.
Spoiler:
haha made u look :P

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Finish the last two years of my Computer Science masters degree and find a job that's somehow related to technology. Currently I'd like to take my degree into a research-based job at a university and combine it with a more traditional Science discipline (the department I study in is into Space Robotics and Computational Biology in quite a big way). However, I'm not adverse to working in programming, which would be ideally video games related, or even in a more design-orientated company such as a brand creation or web design company.

In my personal life I'd like to stay in love with my girlfriend and live together in Aberystwyth or somewhere similar (not a huge city but not a village in the middle of nowhere either). We will, of course, have dogs and other pets and generally nothing too dissimilar to the way things are at the moment. :D

Oh and it'd be nice to get my desktop pc working properly again but that's just venturing into absurdity.
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Dom

Postby Dom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:49 am UTC

I am going to one of the top level software developers in Norway :). We are a small country, should be easy eyh!?
Start my own company with a cool idea, where I can utilize a fraction of what I learned in grad school (GPU/3D-graphics).
And of course, just sell the damn thing to Google and spend the rest of my days doing thai-boxing in Thailand =)

kind of offtopic, but I want to share anyway :P
There is a great song, hmm guess it's not that great, but the lyrics are somewhat accurate, by the norwegian band Donkeyboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_WQ6u9os50

After I heard it the first time I suddenly realized my ambitions were starting to fade.
I quit my current job, which was leading me nowhere. I was surrounded by people who were living by the mentality: "I came to work at 7:50, then I leave at 15:50". Their ambitions were long gone.
So now I'm on board a very, very exciting new project. Learning TONS of new useful stuff, instead of just grinding it out each day with 9-5 people. I was going to quit eventually, but the song and the video just made me realize it all the way sooner. That guy who started the new job in vid, "it was me" ;)
I'm alive

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 am UTC

new more attainable ideas.

I want to join the americorps, which I will soon. Then spend a year or two doing that gaining experience (so I can ding, of course). Then I'm considering joining in a program to learn how to become a moritician type person. It's supposedly a great program. I've been told you can get hired as soon as you finished and starting salaries are like 40-50k. The field should also start growing rapidly soon, since the babyboomer boom is going to start hitting its downward slope, so to speak.

I also really want to open up a PC arcade type place. Basically it would have high end computers people can come in and pay to use. It would also have all consoles available (people would pay to use the consoles, not the games, so no copyright issues >.>). It would also have a coffee shop cafe type area where you could buy coffee, energy drinks, tea, and several types of health snacks and other good stuff to eat.

I'd also like to open up a cafe just like the one I described, except it'd also be a pool hall and have shows with the local bands at night.

The arcade type thing would have to wait until I had enough money for start up costs, but its possible. I may give it a shot some day.

zipper-chan

Postby zipper-chan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:45 am UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:new more attainable ideas.

I also really want to open up a PC arcade type place. Basically it would have high end computers people can come in and pay to use. It would also have all consoles available (people would pay to use the consoles, not the games, so no copyright issues >.>). It would also have a coffee shop cafe type area where you could buy coffee, energy drinks, tea, and several types of health snacks and other good stuff to eat.

I'd also like to open up a cafe just like the one I described, except it'd also be a pool hall and have shows with the local bands at night.

The arcade type thing would have to wait until I had enough money for start up costs, but its possible. I may give it a shot some day.

THIS, is an extremely good idea, my good sir. I say, go for it. In a world that is getting more and more focused on video games, this could only work out well for you! I would love to be able to play games on a high end PC, have multiple next-gen consoles at my hands, but alas, that is all too expensive..but, if I could hire them out? In one convenient location? Perfect!

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:52 am UTC

zipper-chan wrote:
GoodRudeFun wrote:new more attainable ideas.

THIS, is an extremely good idea, my good sir. I say, go for it. In a world that is getting more and more focused on video games, this could only work out well for you! I would love to be able to play games on a high end PC, have multiple next-gen consoles at my hands, but alas, that is all too expensive..but, if I could hire them out? In one convenient location? Perfect!
As if that wasn't enough you can even have lunch there! Get a nice cup of joe, enjoy your favorite tea, have a snack, or get a full meal, its up to you. [food may not be allowed in gaming area]

They had a place like this in hawaii called PC gamers. I would go there when I was grounded and not allowed to use my own computer >.>

They also had a small bar where they served burgers and energy drinks. I Kinda felt like this was lacking though. So I'd like to make it so you could a better range of things, and have some healthy options. There also wasn't much of a place to enjoy these things, so I'd like to have it in a seperate area.

They also, as per their name, only had PCs. I think it would be nice to have other options as well. You pay to use the console, and pick your game from our library and enjoy :D

The electricity bill would be e-fucking-normous, so I'd have have solar panels and helix shaped wind energy generators on the roof. The helix shape allows it to catch wind from all sides.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

I plan on working my way to the top of this company and building some real sustainable cars, not half-arsed compromises to the hoon factor and media publicity stunts. 9.9L/100km (24 mpg)? No renewable energy or materials used in manufacturing? Freaking poor effort and we should be doing better.

zipper-chan

Postby zipper-chan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

My plan as of this moment:
-Finish school.
-Go to Canada straight away, become a ski instructor there for the season.
-Come back to Australia, go to uni (either comm. degree or IT)
-Complete uni degree, then go back to Canada for the season.
-Gain my TESOL certification, so I can then teach the English language.
-Move to China, teach English or
-Move to South Korea, teach English.

That's all I've got so far..

Dragon029

Postby Dragon029 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Mine:
This or next year get a new CPU, this one is un-overclockable.

Next few years, go flying <with me in control> in a motor aircraft or towed glider <not to be confused with hang glider>.
Be admitted to the University of Queensland or the ADFA.

Later; work on F-18's or F-35A's.

Later in life; work with or on spacecraft, preferably either in the space tourism industry or military.
Adapt or Die

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Long-term goals:

- Become a brilliant mathematician and/or physicist.

- Travel the World

- Live as long as I want. Hopefully medical technology will catch up the point where people can live indefinitely sometime in my life. If not indefinitely, a couple centuries would still be nice.

Short-term goals:

-Get into a university course that I like. Work my ass off from the start and graduate with top marks.

-Get good on guitar and start earning money from it while I'm in uni.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:I plan on working my way to the top of this company and building some real sustainable cars, not half-arsed compromises to the hoon factor and media publicity stunts. 9.9L/100km (24 mpg)? No renewable energy or materials used in manufacturing? Freaking poor effort and we should be doing better.
I'd really like to see an affordable electric car on the market. We should have had one ages ago, its ridiculuous that we don't have one now.

So, I applaud you. give us the electric car! v.v

Dargon Cophe

Postby Dargon Cophe » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Become a firefighter. Save lives. Be a badass restaurant owner/firefighter, and my restaurant will be firehouse themed.

How do you spell restaurant?
Magnanimous wrote:
Dargon Cophe wrote:I am sick and tired of these motherfucking aliens on this motherfucking plain!
I love you.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Restaurant.
Also, hm. Ambitions.
(Relatively) short term:
-Get some massive fuck-off goth boots to wear with my lab coat next year
-Get into a decent university, complete a course in CS with AI and then go on to PhD level, insist that people call me 'the good doctor'.
-Aquire a female Iguana, call her Cedric.
-Have a pint of Guinness in a pub in Ireland.
-Work up the courage to cut my hair shorter than I've had it since it was shaved by nursing staff.

Long term:
-Learn to play the violin proper
-Visit every country in the world, drink a cup of tea (or nearest equivalent) in all of them
-Ride in a hot air balloon over a desert
-Go somewhere with a beach, be there from dawn till dusk every day for a week building my sand fortress, including throne. Sit on throne. Drink tequila.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:17 am UTC

My short-term goal is to get a job I really like. Not making too much progress, though. :(

Longer-term goal is to get a job with the National Park Service, or a zoo, or museum. I volunteered at a museum a few years ago, and it was awesome.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Pit

Postby Pit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 am UTC

I'd love to work for the Federal Reserve... maybe as Fed chair *cringes at tissue boxes being thrown at her*

My end goal is to be a columnist/economics editorialist or an economics teacher at a high school. Then, maybe I can retire and own a little children's bookstore or something.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

Pit wrote:My end goal is to be a columnist/economics editorialist or an economics teacher at a high school.

Economists are my favorite writers because they use brains instead of squishy feelings when analyzing things. Plus they're often funny. So good luck. And be a funny one. I don't want to be bored while reading that I'm screwed.
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

Return to “General”