Irrational Dislikes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Midnight

Irrational Dislikes

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 am UTC

We have a topic on irrational fears, but not irrational dislikes. I was thinking it about it earlier, because of my inborn hatred of the state of new jersey. Jerrrrrseyyyyyyy.

I've only been to America's SphincterNJ once--and I've seen Garden State. It seemed nice enough. But ugh. New Jersey... I hear it and it makes me angry. It's not a fear though, so I can't put it into irrational fears.

I.
Don't.
Know.
Why.

Anyways, what sort of irrational dislikes do you all have?
uhhhh fuck.

Magilla

Re: Irrational Dislikes

Postby Magilla » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:23 am UTC

For me, it's writing letters. Frustrated my previous G/F no end :(
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

tiramisuloverr

Postby tiramisuloverr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Last edited by tiramisuloverr on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:04 am UTC

I currently have 3 or 4 waiting for me on my mobile, and last time I logged in to my voicemail at work, it said the box was full, so I deleted the first 20, and it said it's nearly full. Deleted another 20, no change.

:/

Edit: maybe I'll have another go at cleaning that up now.

Edit 2: Deleted 20 messages, made it from Dec 2008 to March this year. I'm probably a bad person...

Edit 3: Deleted 40 messages, now deep into June, elapsed time: 15 minutes

Edit 4: All 62 messages deleted. 2 Numbers to return calls to recorded. *cough*
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:11 am UTC

oh man. when i get a voicemail I listen & delete first thing. I hate when stuff like that crowds up. Which is why I need to clear out my gmail inbox someday. But there's no quick and easy "clear out 500 at a time" option..
uhhhh fuck.

zug

Postby zug » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 am UTC

• Telephones. I hate them passionately.
  • New Jersey accents. I hate them because it seems like in excess of 75% of people who speak with one are loud, obnoxious, pushy, and selfish. Especially over the phone!
  • Tighty whities. Had to see my dad walk around in nothing but throughout childhood, and they still gross me out.
  • Small yippy dogs. Or any dog that barks a lot.
  • Hearing another person chewing. Oh! the agony. Have to cover my ears or I'll retch at the table.

And these dislikes are IRrational so don't call me out or I'll hate you :(
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Telephone dislike is rational imo. It reduces the effect of communication by a surprising amount because all the gestures and facial expressions are removed from the equation. This makes communication that little bit less clear. And if you're naturally more visually- than auditorially-oriented, it's worse. Plus we have a Pavlovian response to the damn things. It rings at any time, demanding immediate attention, and we drop what we're doing and hurry to get it. The only other times I can think of when we do that are emergencies.

On topic - touchpads/touchscreens. Can't stand sliding my finger around onna slick surface when I could be tapping with a stylus or gently twerking a nipple mouse.

Elusieum

Postby Elusieum » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:51 am UTC

I have an irrational dislike of children and making phone calls to people I don't know too well.

I have very rational dislikes of Edmonton, and small yappy dogs.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:56 am UTC

I rationally dislike text messaging.

It's an inefficient way to convert thoughts into text, and it costs money, and I only have like 300 a month... I guess I have unlimited receiving.
And it seems like it has totally obsoleted phones for both of my friends. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like actually talking on a phone shouldn't be a big fucking deal, but they're so awkward about it.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Telephone dislike is rational imo. It reduces the effect of communication by a surprising amount because all the gestures and facial expressions are removed from the equation. This makes communication that little bit less clear. And if you're naturally more visually- than auditorially-oriented, it's worse. Plus we have a Pavlovian response to the damn things. It rings at any time, demanding immediate attention, and we drop what we're doing and hurry to get it. The only other times I can think of when we do that are emergencies.

Actually, I think phones tend to force clearer communication, because they only allow you to communicate in one way (no gestures, facial expressions, etc.), so whatever you're trying to communicate only comes through one channel; it's less confusing, and there's less chance of sending the wrong message. But then, I'm physically incapable of concentrating on more than one thing at a time...and I still hate talking on the phone, which makes it a pretty irrational dislike.

And I do very much hate the incessant ringing. I also wish all telemarketing companies would get simultaneously obliterated by meteorites.

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 am UTC

zug wrote:
  • Hearing another person chewing. Oh! the agony. Have to cover my ears or I'll retch at the table.

That's not irrational! Noisy eating is just fucking despicable.

This is irrational:

Coat hangers. I loathe them with a vast and fiery passion.

Vicariously-Kaiser

Postby Vicariously-Kaiser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am UTC

I hate really flat areas of land. Maybe because I've grown up around hills and mountains, but I just get twitchy when its flat.

Edit: It doesn't help that my grandparents live in Norfolk :(

Wright

Postby Wright » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Small children. There's no real reason as to why, I just can't stand them.
When my MSN conversation screens aren't perfectly aligned.
Not finishing a conversation (even if it is a conversation moving from one to another, if I have an opinion I still have a need to finish the first one).
If you get glitter on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I think I've mentioned this before on this board, but southern accents make people sound stupid to me. I know intelligent people with southern accents, but still whenever I meet someone with a louisiana drawl, my first impression is always that they're not very smart.

Cold

Postby Cold » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:I think I've mentioned this before on this board, but southern accents make people sound stupid to me. I know intelligent people with southern accents, but still whenever I meet someone with a louisiana drawl, my first impression is always that they're not very smart.
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

People I don't know very well/dislike touching me. Even if it's just a brush on the shoulder or something, it really annoys me.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

How about when you have 2 or more clocks in the same room, they're both wrong, and one's ten minutes ahead, the other's five minutes behind... AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! :x
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Drugs, weed, masturbation, group sex. Or I guess I should say the ideas.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

People with my name...
Its MY FUCKING NAME!!! Get your own damn name.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Improperly aligned windows on my desktop, much like Wright.

Southern accents/strong accents in general. As a kid, I could never understand what people were saying.. I've gotten a bit older now, though.

When you run into somebody you haven't seen in a while, and they extend their arm/hand out in a way that looks like a combination of a sidehug (Which it certainly isn't), a high-five, and a handshake. What am I supposed to do? :|

Bad typing skills/ "aim speek liek dat of a 11-yr old gangsta" *Shudder*

Improper use of they're/their/there. It's not that hard, people.

People who care too much about a random band/celebrity/anything. I don't mean like, hearing that Jackson died and having it bring your day down, I mean like, crying when a band breaks up, or obsessing over their personal lives. Live your own.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Excessive frivolity. I understand some vanity, but to the point of enforcement it becomes obnoxious.

Scene/emo/gangsta/metalhead (speaking as a former metalhead, came to my senses about the selfishness of the scene, fortunately) people.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Elusieum wrote:Edmonton

Not entirely irrational. It's called Deadmonton for a reason. That is, if you're talking about Edmonton, AB.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:20 am UTC

People spitting. It grosses me out SO MUCH. And if it touches me? Chances are I'll vomit right there. So if you don't like getting barfed on, never spit on me.

Shadic wrote:(living vicariously through celebrities)
This. And gossip in general, I guess. STFU with all the drama already! I swear, sometimes it's like I'm trapped in a horrible reality show.
...It made more sense in my head.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:38 am UTC

I'm terrified of butterflies. I don't have a problem with spiders or anything. Just butterflies.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

DieJay

Postby DieJay » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:47 am UTC

I used to have a lot of irrational dislikes; Ontario (I'm Quebecker), Macintosh computers, the handicapped and mentally challenged, rappers, wearing my glasses in public, and the list goes on... until I finally realized just how pointless it was; It's not someone's fault if they're what they are, they're just victims of circumstances, and there's no point in hating something that doesn't cause a problem other than what you feel it does.

- Ontarians didn't choose to live there, and even then, there's no point ranting about something that happened over 400 years ago.
- You thinking PCs are superior to Macs doesn't means everyone should ditch the Apple company. Besides, both are the same darn thing on the inside anyway.
- Handicapped and mentally challenged people aren't contagious... but I'll be the first to admit they make you feel uncomfortable.
- Rappers found a way to express themselves and make money easily without actually being able to sing. Good for them.
- Wear your god damn glasses. Nobody think you look cooler when you walk around with screwed up eyes.

I was quite puerile as a teen when I think about it.
Last edited by DieJay on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 am UTC

kaniman2 wrote:I'm terrified of butterflies. I don't have a problem with spiders or anything. Just butterflies.

Interesting. I'm okay with butterflies (and spiders). Moths though ... (shudder) ...

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 am UTC

Between this:
zug wrote:[list][*]Telephones. I hate them passionately.[/*]

And this:
Elusieum wrote:making phone calls to people I don't know too well.

Basically, I'm cool with phoning friends and family, but if there's even the slightest chance of a stranger picking it up, I get really nervous. This has made answering the phone at work extremely uncomfortable for me.

Lucrece wrote:Scene/emo/gangsta/metalhead (speaking as a former metalhead, came to my senses about the selfishness of the scene, fortunately) people.

What's wrong with those? I'm kind of a metalhead (I'd say rocker, but some call me metalhead, some have called me a hippie in a leather jacket, and some have called me a punk with long hair) and I don't see any selfishness. All my metalhead friends (and, indeed, my emo, scene and chav friends) are lovely people who's opinion is "It doesn't matter if I don't like your music or dress sense, if you're a cool person, I'll hang out with you".
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:Basically, I'm cool with phoning friends and family, but if there's even the slightest chance of a stranger picking it up, I get really nervous.
This.

Also, I really dislike making salad. I have no idea why.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Tri-core processors. One, two, four, I'm OK. Basically any number that is not a power of two. That's why you won't be seeing me buy Intel's new hexa core line
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:Tri-core processors. One, two, four, I'm OK. Basically any number that is not a power of two. That's why you won't be seeing me buy Intel's new hexa core line

That makes sense. It's not worth it, because you can just get the next doubling cycle (8 core).
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Scene/emo/gangsta/metalhead (speaking as a former metalhead, came to my senses about the selfishness of the scene, fortunately) people.

What's wrong with those? I'm kind of a metalhead (I'd say rocker, but some call me metalhead, some have called me a hippie in a leather jacket, and some have called me a punk with long hair) and I don't see any selfishness. All my metalhead friends (and, indeed, my emo, scene and chav friends) are lovely people who's opinion is "It doesn't matter if I don't like your music or dress sense, if you're a cool person, I'll hang out with you".

You know, irrational means something ;). There's not much of a rational explanation besides some trigger dislike associated with teenagers, who flock to these subcultures more than the average adult does.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Waking up at a time where the minute is NOT a multiple of 6. 8:48, 8:12, 8:30, 8:54, all fine by me. I'm particularly partial to multiples of 12. Any other time is annoying, and if I miss a multiple-of-6-minute, I WILL wait until the next to get up out of bed. Anybody else have something as incredibly stupid as that?
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:You know, irrational means something ;). There's not much of a rational explanation besides some trigger dislike associated with teenagers, who flock to these subcultures more than the average adult does.

Huh, I thought you were defending that as a rational one with the "selfishness of the scene" line. Sorry.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:15 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:Tri-core processors. One, two, four, I'm OK. Basically any number that is not a power of two. That's why you won't be seeing me buy Intel's new hexa core line

Are you insane? Nikola Tesla would have been all over it!

:)

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:28 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Waking up at a time where the minute is NOT a multiple of 6. 8:48, 8:12, 8:30, 8:54, all fine by me. I'm particularly partial to multiples of 12. Any other time is annoying, and if I miss a multiple-of-6-minute, I WILL wait until the next to get up out of bed. Anybody else have something as incredibly stupid as that?

Actually, yes, but with multiples of 5.
Walter.Horvath wrote:

Please be so kind as to explaining what the hell you are talking about.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

arcane

Postby arcane » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Michigan, it's a neat state lots of beautiful scenery, Mackinac fudge, good schools. I just don't like being here, I just don't.
I do not think outside or inside it the box, there was no box to begin with.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:23 am UTC

I dislike any sort of insect or arachnid, but it's only the flying ones that really pose a challenge (crawling bugs are easy to step around).
So, moths and butterflies are definitely annoying, and I'll go up to 5 or 10 feet out of my way to avoid one, especially if I can see it actually flying around.

The real problem is that insects are BAD at flying. They flap around randomly and don't take a clear path. Birds will swoop and turn gradually, but insects just flap haphazardly and you have no freaking clue where they will be in the next tenth-of-a-second.

Edit: I don't mind bats. (I've never technically seen one, but they sound all right in theory) I just don't like animals with exoskeletons for some reason.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:28 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:
Walter.Horvath wrote:

Please be so kind as to explaining what the hell you are talking about.

He was crazy about the number three. He ate multiples of three, lived in an (apartment or hotel, I can't remember) divisible by three... So many things :)

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:54 am UTC

I'll probably get around to posting more later.

-I rarely ever make phone calls. If I do, it's usually a quick "I'm on the way," or something to the same effect. If anyone calls me on the phone for longer than 2-3 minutes, I usually zone out and start thinking of ways to wrap it up.
-If there's a song that I like to great extents and I have to pause it or solve a lagging problem, I usually can't listen to that song for the rest of the day.
-I dissect flaws in commercials every time they come across the screen.
-Typical pampered Protestant Christian teens that would find joy in moments as depressing as a bird having the loosest of stools right into their gaping mouths. Unfortunately, my school has a ton of these individuals.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 am UTC

- Rappers found a way to express themselves and make money easily without actually being able to sing. Good for them.

On the other hand, most singers found a way to make money without actually being able to rap. Writing good rap is not done in five minutes on a paper napkin, and rapping well takes a tremendous amount of skill, albeit a different skill from singing.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Return to “General”