I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rath358
The bone of my bone

Re: I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Postby rath358 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:10 am UTC

Getting thrown in jail and thus shaking up your children's lives is definitely not a Good Thing.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 am UTC

I should clarify that I'm all for teaching kids responsible drinking by letting them drink in moderation. My siblings and I were allowed a small amount of like wine cooler or whatever on special occasions. And when we grew up and the other kids were all like "yay alcohol", we were like "smeh, whatever". But this dude in my office was going on about how his dad gave them big glasses of blue curacao and lemonade onna regular basis and what an awesome idea that is. He was getting totally drunk at like the age of 10. Sure, it gave him the same "smeh, whatever" reaction to stupid teenage drinking that I'd had, but only because he'd already done the stupid teenage drinking, just at a younger age. Letting kids drink, cool. Getting them drunk, not cool.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:Getting thrown in jail and thus shaking up your children's lives is definitely not a Good Thing.

You're not going to get thrown in jail for giving your kids a taste of alcohol unless you live in some dire theocratic middle-eastern hell-hole.

Amarantha wrote:I should clarify that I'm all for teaching kids responsible drinking by letting them drink in moderation. My siblings and I were allowed a small amount of like wine cooler or whatever on special occasions. And when we grew up and the other kids were all like "yay alcohol", we were like "smeh, whatever". But this dude in my office was going on about how his dad gave them big glasses of blue curacao and lemonade onna regular basis and what an awesome idea that is. He was getting totally drunk at like the age of 10. Sure, it gave him the same "smeh, whatever" reaction to stupid teenage drinking that I'd had, but only because he'd already done the stupid teenage drinking, just at a younger age. Letting kids drink, cool. Getting them drunk, not cool.

What in the name of Odin is a blue curacao?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What in the name of Odin is a blue curacao?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura%C3%A7ao_%28liqueur%29
It's quite nice, despite, or perhaps because of, the disturbing resemblance to andorian ale.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

Seeing that many %-numbers in one link, and then seeing the same one in the next post, just makes it more funny.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

mandachan

Postby mandachan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Traffic-based things that should be obvious but apparently aren't:
- You do actually have to stop at stop signs.
- "Right turn only" lanes aren't the same as "Right turn oh crap I need to go left" lanes.
- Don't tailgate a car with good brakes. Especially if you've already pissed them off.

But hey. We've already established that the world's problems are caused by stupid people.
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Can I add "If you're turning right at an intersection onto a road with mutiple lanes of traffic, turn into the right-most one...especially if you have a red light and there's a car in the left lane doing about 40...or better yet, don't turn at all if you have a red light and there's a car crossing the intersection"?

Good thing I already had my foot on the brake because the speed limit drops right there.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:Can I add "If you're turning right at an intersection onto a road with mutiple lanes of traffic, turn into the right-most one...especially if you have a red light and there's a car in the left lane doing about 40...or better yet, don't turn at all if you have a red light and there's a car crossing the intersection"?

Good thing I already had my foot on the brake because the speed limit drops right there.

And the same thing goes with one-way left turns.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

I can't check my corporate email account until I get my company laptop, dumbasses.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:Can I add "If you're turning right at an intersection onto a road with mutiple lanes of traffic, turn into the right-most one...especially if you have a red light and there's a car in the left lane doing about 40...or better yet, don't turn at all if you have a red light and there's a car crossing the intersection"?

And the same thing goes with one-way left turns.

Give me just my morning or afternoon commute and I could rant for hours about how people drive. I'll just stick with an important one: USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Hamorad

Postby Hamorad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:16 am UTC

If you make an appointment, you can either show up on time or let me know you will be late. Doing neither is very rarely acceptable.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:49 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:On the topic of things I shouldn't have to say: "When your hard drive starts clicking, that's not good. Ignoring it is not good. Waiting until it almost stops working isn't good"

And on to my own:
  • No, your computer does not become slower as they age. Newer software may be slower, or you may have malware of some other form of cruft.
  • No, your computer isn't malfunctioning because of a virus. I checked. The software is just crap.
  • No, your computer is not noisier/hotter/crashier/etc because it's old. It's dusty. Compressed air or a hosed vaccum will fix it.
  • No, your computer does not need replaced.
  • No, I'm not going gaga over the iPad or whatever else just came out.
  • No, I do not know everything there is to know about computers.
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I'll just stick with an important one: USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS.

Preferably before you actually commence the turn, not as an afterthought when you've almost completed the turn. Also, your indicators are not just to let other drivers know what your intentions are - they can be useful to pedestrians as well.

I live right near a T-junction, and I tend to just walk onto the road if the car at the head of the junction isn't indicating. Generally, I'm willing to wait for the car (I realize that getting out of my street can be painful), but if they can't show me some courtesy, I'm happy to reciprocate. :)

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Updating a computer system should make it better, not worse. I'm not sure why anyone would think that removing the ability to select multiple items at once would be a good idea. Likewise changing the inventory system so that if the inventory is ever empty, it is impossible for a standard user to put anything into it. The only solution we've been offered is to add a fake item to it and leave it there forever.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Updating a computer system should make it better, not worse. I'm not sure why anyone would think that removing the ability to select multiple items at once would be a good idea. Likewise changing the inventory system so that if the inventory is ever empty, it is impossible for a standard user to put anything into it. The only solution we've been offered is to add a fake item to it and leave it there forever.

This happened where?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Updating a computer system should make it better, not worse. I'm not sure why anyone would think that removing the ability to select multiple items at once would be a good idea. Likewise changing the inventory system so that if the inventory is ever empty, it is impossible for a standard user to put anything into it. The only solution we've been offered is to add a fake item to it and leave it there forever.

Wait, so that cake I ordered? It was a lie?

</2007>
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

This happened in the NHS. I shouldn't have to say that the NHS and big IT projects don't go well together, apparently this holds true for smaller IT projects as well.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:17 am UTC

probably been said, but:
Just because I have long, pretty, hair that I take care of and I am quite happy with does not mean I am female.
Went to a store today, one of the big ones with samples, and question after question of "Ma'am, would you like to try...?"
Come ON, people. There's a few other signs that I'm male, such as masculine face and hands, legs covered in thick hair, and my Adam's apple. Most ladies don't have an Adam's apple.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am UTC

Sasha wrote:probably been said, but:
Just because I have long, pretty, hair that I take care of and I am quite happy with does not mean I am female.
Went to a store today, one of the big ones with samples, and question after question of "Ma'am, would you like to try...?"
Come ON, people. There's a few other signs that I'm male, such as masculine face and hands, legs covered in thick hair, and my Adam's apple. Most ladies don't have an Adam's apple.

Devil's advocate: hair is one of the biggest indicators of gender, especially viewed from behind. There are some very butch women out there, and some very feminine-looking men. Mistakes happen, and sometimes it really is impossible to tell so you have to guess.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:03 am UTC

I get the same thing and, frankly, who cares? Ooops, you mistook me for a woman. I'm not, now lets move on.
It's no slight against me and it's not important unless you want to date me.
Ⓞⓞ◯

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

Sasha wrote:probably been said, but:

Maybe the store has a trans-friendly policy & the clerks haven't been trained properly. Or they tend to err on the side of caution.

Yes, people making mistakes about one's gender / sexual orientation can be annoying, but it can be a lot worse than a simple mistake which is probably based on a desire to be polite.

How times have changed. Forty-odd years ago (and less in lots of places), you'd be more likely complaining that guys want to beat the crap out of you for having long hair.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

It's not terribly hard to simply remove any gender assumptions from interactions with a customer. "Ma'am, would you like to try..." can just as easily be "Hi, would you [...]" or "Excuse me, would you [...]". I learned that lesson right quick doing retail.

illford

Postby illford » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:48 am UTC

"i don't know where 'there' is, we are talking on vent and i cannot see you pointing"
"yes everyone that heard the question is on vent.... because you said it on vent"
"windows 7 is better than vista"
"kite photography is a good idea"
"just because i know a lot about computers does not mean i know how to fix everything with a microchip"

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

If you meet a complete stranger at a party and ask him to help you with your computer, and he does, spending about 3 hours the next day, expect to be asked for money.
Then again,
If asked to do something for a complete stranger, make it known you're doing it for money.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:If you meet a complete stranger at a party and ask him to help you with your computer, and he does, spending about 3 hours the next day, expect to be asked for money.
Then again,
If asked to do something for a complete stranger, make it known you're doing it for money.

Yes, outside of a normal sale situation (and in a favor situation), money should probably be deliberately introduced.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 am UTC

Sure, sure.. of course, the idea of money being exchanged for services rendered should come up in the conversation long before anyone gets anyone else's address, much less any work performed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Things I should not have to say:
For the twelfth time, please, call me Alexander, not Alex. this is one of my biggest pet peeves and some people cannot get it into their heads.
Yes, I play a lot of videogames, no, I am not fat, and I do not ever plan to be.
ALTERNATIVELY:
Yes, I play a lot of videogames, no, I don't want to kill people in real life.

Yes, I do listen to a very specific genre of hip-hop(nerdcore). No, I don't know (or care!) who Shit Nizzle and Jiggy Joe and whonot are. No, I don't like many other types of hip-hop. No, really, get it away from me.

Yes, I am very good at anatomy, but that's not because I want to kill people. (I don't even)
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Hamorad wrote:If you make an appointment, you can either show up on time or let me know you will be late. Doing neither is very rarely acceptable.

This actually happened to me before; I was late for an appointment, I tried to call but couldn't get through. When I got there, I apologized for being late. The people looked at me like I was crazy and said "You are late?" They really didn't even know...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

No, stop signs with white borders are NOT optional.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

I remember reading about colors on signs in my driver's handbook, but I don't recall anything about borders. Now that you mention it, I can't recall any signs without them. What are the rules for borders?

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Sasha wrote:Yes, I play a lot of videogames, no, I am not fat, and I do not ever plan to be.

Yes, I play a lot of videogames. Yes, I am fat and I don't ever plan not to be. I don't see how it's relevant in any way because I am farking awesome at games.
ftfm! (fixed that for me)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 am UTC

Levi wrote:I remember reading about colors on signs in my driver's handbook, but I don't recall anything about borders. Now that you mention it, I can't recall any signs without them. What are the rules for borders?

In the US, all stop signs (that I've seen) have white borders. No rules, that's just the way it is.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Levi wrote:I remember reading about colors on signs in my driver's handbook, but I don't recall anything about borders. Now that you mention it, I can't recall any signs without them. What are the rules for borders?

In the US, all stop signs (that I've seen) have white borders. No rules, that's just the way it is.

Red octagon means stop, regardless of it's border.

Though I really haven't ever noticed it's border. :oops:
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:22 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:

In France this is clearly a rule, and you are supposed to stop before crossing the border. When driving I think I am more likely to notice a border like that than a sign. Because I have to watch the ground I drive on.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Wait, what sort of borders are we talking about? The ones on the edges of the signs themselves, or the lines on the pavement?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:29 am UTC

Levi wrote:Wait, what sort of borders are we talking about? The ones on the edges of the signs themselves, or the lines on the pavement?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just got confused.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Levi wrote:Wait, what sort of borders are we talking about? The ones on the edges of the signs themselves, or the lines on the pavement?

Ditto. Though to be honest a great many stopsigns in my area have no marking on the pavement.

In stores now.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

Ditto. Though to be honest a great many stopsigns in my area have no marking on the pavement.

Don't know about elsewhere, but in Florida, the law says that the solid white line near the stop sign is where you officially have to stop. If there was no line, I'd pretty much guarantee a traffic lawyer could get you off for running it (just thinking out loud, btw).

ISHTST: No, you can't have a free ride. This is a pedicab, not a car; it doesn't move without some serious physical labor on my part. (Related: And flirting isn't going to work. Pretty smiles won't pay my rent.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

I thought we were talking about the broad white line on the pavement).

Return to “General”