I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Oregonaut

Re: I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:
olubunmi wrote:"Well, instead of watching 8 episodes of Buffy in a row, you could've actually studied a bit. "

Said at the university the other day. All he does during college is watching those shows or reading manga online. And when asked why he says he has nothing better to do...

Procrastination/laziness is a powerful thing. I mean, what do you think I'm doing at the minute?

Sitting at your computer, pondering your last meal. Debating whether or not to take advantage of the fact that it is Friday.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

ISHTST: 1 divided by 1 does not equal 0.

Quiz shows make me angry.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

1/1=taco. Any school child knows this.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

olubunmi wrote:"Well, instead of watching 8 episodes of Buffy in a row, you could've actually studied a bit. "

Said at the university the other day. All he does during college is watching those shows or reading manga online. And when asked why he says he has nothing better to do...

The main question is: how are his grades? Last semester was really easy for me, and most of the days I watched series, movies and wasted my time on the internet.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The main question is: how are his grades? Last semester was really easy for me, and most of the days I watched series, movies and wasted my time on the internet.

This. First year of uni, half of my modules were mostly closing the gap between those who'd done Further mathematics for A-level and those who'd just done a plain ol' Mathematics A-level. As one of the latter, I used to bring my DS to lectures and, if it was something I already knew, would play Mario Kart with the dude two rows ahead of me.

This is also how I learnt to not swear in certain situations.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Promicin wrote:ISHTST: Just because it's hard doesn't mean you need to poke me with it

Biting my tongue SO hard right now.

It was a cat whisker. My mom found it and said "Feel how hard this is," and proceeded to poke my arm.
Why? What were you thinking? :twisted:

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Just because you ask me a question and I answer it politely it doesn't mean that I want to have a long, drawn-out discussion with you, or that I'm flirting with you.

Females don't come into computer labs to be hit on. ISHTST.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

It's why I spoke to as few people as possible when I went to photograph the steel bridge engineering club.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

That really bothers me. I'm in an engineering program (but I'm applied mathematics, BIG difference...we're just lumped in with the engineers because we're BSs at a liberal arts college) and I see it all the time. It borders on harassment sometimes. I hate how desperate many of the guys act.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Freshmen/sophomores are the worst. They're barely out of high school, really uncomfortable in their skin, and probably haven't interacted with women enough to destroy their numerous misconceptions yet. (The most awkward ones are the ones who fancy themselves as the "New Chivalrous Knights"...sigh...it's sweet but horribly desperate and I haven't the heart to tell them it doesn't make them New and Unique out of all the boys I've met). And then the ones who take one look at my Asian-ness and immediately short-circuit their brains. I can see it happening when I meet them.

Also, it gets worse when they then try to tutor me or take on a paternal teaching role, unasked and unwelcome.

So basically I seem to be confining myself to nerds from the military. An oddly narrow category, but it's worked for me so far.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Freshmen/sophomores are the worst. [Snipped]
Also, it gets worse when they then try to tutor me or take on a paternal teaching role, unasked and unwelcome.

This is the part that bugs me the worst. I'm a little younger than the average junior (20) and I look about 18, but I know a lot more than the guys in Intro to [Something Simple]. They try to explain [xyz in java] while I'm trying to finish my project for advanced programming (which at this school is in C).

Today I just went home to work on my project, because even if I get more distracted at home, they were making me nuts.

(Edited to add that I'm feeling really snarky, disregard my bad mood, nothing to see here >.>)
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:(The most awkward ones are the ones who fancy themselves as the "New Chivalrous Knights"...sigh...it's sweet but horribly desperate and I haven't the heart to tell them it doesn't make them New and Unique out of all the boys I've met).

This makes me cringe. It's why I joined a co-ed fraternity where most of the brothers are liberal arts majors. They have a normal conception of gender relations.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:Today I just went home to work on my project, because even if I get more distracted at home, they were making me nuts.

(Edited to add that I'm feeling really snarky, disregard my bad mood, nothing to see here >.>)

If the snarky mood gets too bad in you, just tell 'em to fuck off. I'd bet money that they would certainly not behave that way with a male upperclassman, and it's a load of steaming double standard horseshit with an extra injection of "doing it wrong" thanks to a dearth of social skills and being unable or unwilling to read the uncomfortable signals you might be giving off.

@hanectar: Right on. It's not like gender relations aren't messed up elsewhere too, but it's not helped when one or more of the parties involved have had the bulk of their adolescent female interaction confined to paper or pixels.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:If the snarky mood gets too bad in you, just tell 'em to fuck off. I'd bet money that they would certainly not behave that way with a male upperclassman.
[Snipped]

Oh, they definitely wouldn't.
A lot of it is because when project time comes due all the non-Computer Science major females come into the CS lab to beg help on their Intro to CS projects from the guys. Therefore, the freshman think that ALL girls in the lab are Education majors who can't tell their ass from their elbows much less how to program Hello World.

At some point I realized that these guys don't understand a simple brush off, or even a non-simple gtfo. I have a lot of trouble just being flat out "Fuck off" for reasons I don't completely understand, but I've learned to become a lot more assertive, if only to get the CS guys out of my face. Fortunately, I learned that being assertive from the start tends to help me make friends with CS guys with their brains turned on who get that I'm not available.

Spoilered for snarky:
Spoiler:
Is is REALLY that hard to understand that the DIAMOND on my ring finger means no, I'm NOT looking to "try out someone else"!?

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:

The main question is: how are his grades? Last semester was really easy for me, and most of the days I watched series, movies and wasted my time on the internet.

Well, out of 5 classes we finished so far, he passed only one. So yes, he's got something to worry about.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:If the snarky mood gets too bad in you, just tell 'em to fuck off. I'd bet money that they would certainly not behave that way with a male upperclassman.
[Snipped]

Oh, they definitely wouldn't.
A lot of it is because when project time comes due all the non-Computer Science major females come into the CS lab to beg help on their Intro to CS projects from the guys. Therefore, the freshman think that ALL girls in the lab are Education majors who can't tell their ass from their elbows much less how to program Hello World.

At some point I realized that these guys don't understand a simple brush off, or even a non-simple gtfo. I have a lot of trouble just being flat out "Fuck off" for reasons I don't completely understand, but I've learned to become a lot more assertive, if only to get the CS guys out of my face. Fortunately, I learned that being assertive from the start tends to help me make friends with CS guys with their brains turned on who get that I'm not available.

Spoilered for snarky:
Spoiler:
Is is REALLY that hard to understand that the DIAMOND on my ring finger means no, I'm NOT looking to "try out someone else"!?

I'm not a CS major (as I said above) but I'm doing a concentration in CS so I'm around them a lot. I think many of them are just completely unable to pick up on social cues like that. The others just seem to have fucked up conceptions of gender relations and go all "Nice Guy."

It's frustrating. I just listen to music and do my work alone in the lab.

EDIT: @ the snarky bit: That's not snark. That's something you shouldn't have to say ;)

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

:D Thanks, hanector. That last line just made my day!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:I have a lot of trouble just being flat out "Fuck off" for reasons I don't completely understand, but I've learned to become a lot more assertive, if only to get the CS guys out of my face.

I have the same problem, even the New ConfidentTM Edition of me. For me, I recognize it's because I've been socialized into expecting punishment if I speak up or am rude, or that it makes me a "bad person" if I ruin some random guy's day by "being a bitch." Sucks.

Mostly I just try to avoid the situation by giving off as many "I am unhappy and angry and you should not touch me" vibes as I can.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Do they actually make physical contact with you when you're clearly not interested? o.O

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

I've had guys who put their arm over my shoulder while "tutoring" or try to give unasked-for backrubs. Sometimes I feel like my generation was raised by something non-human, because so many don't understand even the most basic hints.

I second what you said, podbay, my dad taught me very well that being "rude" as he called it would quickly lead to being derided into the floor. I have trouble yelling at someone when I'm really angry because I'm so well programmed to cry and be "so so so sorry". However, since going to college and getting out of the family environment, I've learned how to give better brush-offs and avoid attracting the creepier guys in the first place. I mean, how was I supposed to know that laughing at someone's jokes means I am interested in them? :?

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:So basically I seem to be confining myself to nerds from the military. An oddly narrow category, but it's worked for me so far.

ISHTST but there are a lot of nerdy guys who aren't like the tits you describe or in the miltary.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

It's true - there are a lot of guys who are well-rounded science majors. I just wish less of the ones who aren't would... I don't know how to say it, but I think the general emotion is "get their heads out of their asses."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:I mean, how was I supposed to know that laughing at someone's jokes means I am interested in them? :?

Take a lot of insecurity and throw in a dash of desperation and you got someone who will latch on to any attention you show. It's a shitty situation all around.

But *fistbumps* for us, slowly learning to assert our right to personal autonomy and privacy.

I have to WTF on the unasked-for backrubs. Creeeeeeeeeepy to the max.

Von Haus wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:So basically I seem to be confining myself to nerds from the military. An oddly narrow category, but it's worked for me so far.

ISHTST but there are a lot of nerdy guys who aren't like the tits you describe or in the miltary.

Oh, sure, I know that. But I don't have the time or inclination to always have to wade through the masses of tits to find the good ones. I sort of stumbled into the military thing because I've found that it's a decent shorthand for "has held more adult responsibilities, been forced to socialize a deal more, and able to be more competent and professional, than your average freshman CS major." I should clarify that most of the nerds-in-the-military I've been involved with have been enlisted for several years and/or have done at least an overseas tour, so they've mostly acquired these qualities by the time I meet them. Also...........they tend to be physically fit (and therefore more likely to be physically attractive to me), as required.

Again, I understand there are lots of nerds who aren't in the military who might have these qualities, I have the XKCD forum as proof. But there are only so many annoying encounters I can have before I start looking for filters to expedite the process.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
Cathy wrote:I mean, how was I supposed to know that laughing at someone's jokes means I am interested in them? :?

Take a lot of insecurity and throw in a dash of desperation and you got someone who will latch on to any attention you show. It's a shitty situation all around.

But *fistbumps* for us, slowly learning to assert our right to personal autonomy and privacy.

I have to WTF on the unasked-for backrubs. Creeeeeeeeeepy to the max.

*fistbump*

ISHTST: Don't try to give someone a backrub without asking first, it makes you look like you're a creeper trying to feel them up.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 am UTC

*shudder* I'm the kind of person that likes lots of affection...but from FRIENDS. People I KNOW and care about.
Backrubs from strangers...just...gaaahhhh! I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

ISHTST: If you're in Calc II you shouldn't have to cheat on an exam by writing ln(1)=0, ln(e)=1, e^1=e, and e^0=1 on your wrists.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 am UTC

hanecter wrote:ISHTST: If you're in Calc II you shouldn't have to cheat on an exam by writing ln(1)=0, ln(e)=1, e^1=e, and e^0=1 on your wrists.
The last two... just... why? ._.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:36 am UTC

hanecter wrote: ln(e)=1, e^1=e, and e^0=1

Seriously, What the ball sack was going through their minds on this? It's basic rules of logs. I feel massively inadequate in geek/nerd/whatever terms when compared to the rest of the fora, but this makes me twitch to shit.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:01 am UTC

This is a story worth telling. I'm an undergraduate assistant, I help run workshops for Calc I and II and I help grade exams. I wasn't proctoring the exam, but I heard it from the TAs who did.

So the kid wrote this stuff on the inside of his wrists. Oh, and one more thing- "Don't forget the +c"

How did the TA catch him? The student RAISED HIS HAND TO ASK A FECKIN QUESTION. TA answered his question, asked him to show him his wrists. The student did. They marked down who it was and let him finish the test, so that the professor (who wasn't there) could deal with it later.

So the student finished his test, handed it in, and left. Later, he CAME BACK TO THE EXAM ROOM because he "wanted to change something on his test." WITHOUT WASHING HIS WRISTS OFF. So the TAs thought to take pictures of his wrists this time. (Going through the process of an honor code violation here is apparently an arduous process akin to a trial, so any bit of proof they can get makes everything go more smoothly)

So, the professor still hasn't decided what to do with the whole situation, so we marked the test and graded it. The kid knew what he was doing. He knew the calculus. He got a 94. -_- WTF.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

ISHTST: Jacobites and Jacobins were both 18th century European political movements. There the similarity ends. If you know enough to use either term, then you should know enough to know the difference. Please do not confuse them.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

ISHTST: "This film needs more Tim Curry" However, upon contemplation almost all films need more Tim Curry, with the possible exception of Rock Horror, which might just about hit the required threshold.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:ISHTST: Jacobites and Jacobins were both 18th century European political movements. There the similarity ends. If you know enough to use either term, then you should know enough to know the difference. Please do not confuse them.

Er, unless I thought they had some reason they should know about 18th century political movements I don't think that's exactly common knowledge. If they were a history major who studied the 18th century then certainly that's a ISHTST, but if it's joe off the street...
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

ISHTST: Calling a peer a "fucking cunt bitch" is not a way to entice her to share class notes with you, or to help you, or to be nice to you.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

ISHTST: I wish I had the ability to notice when chairs look like boobs!

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 am UTC

mochafairy wrote:ISHTST: Calling a peer a "fucking cunt bitch" is not a way to entice her to share class notes with you, or to help you, or to be nice to you.

That is really awful. Seriously what a douche whoever that was.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 am UTC

Zarq wrote:
smw543 wrote:If it bothers you that much when a guy flirts with you/compliments your appearance, you're probably homophobic.
Not really. Unless "that much" involved punching or something.

Actually, what happened was a guy sort of made a pass at me (nothing overt, just started up a conversation, then threw in a compliment to gauge my reaction), and after he left, an acquaintance of mine that had been standing there got all squicked out and went off about how he would never put up with that. And this was downtown at night, where all the bars are (as in, where people, including gay ones, go out to meet, and perhaps bang, receptive strangers).

I suppose "that much" is rather ambiguous, but if it makes you significantly more uncomfortable than an equivalent interaction with an opposite-sex individual that you just aren't attracted to, you may want to examine your feelings.

Cathy wrote:This is the part that bugs me the worst. I'm a little younger than the average junior (20) and I look about 18, but I know a lot more than the guys in Intro to [Something Simple]. They try to explain [xyz in java] while I'm trying to finish my project for advanced programming (which at this school is in C).

Today I just went home to work on my project, because even if I get more distracted at home, they were making me nuts.

Ask the next one for help with [really difficult problem you know how to solve but he wouldn't], and go on to say "I've already figured out [bla bla bla (casually demonstrating your superior knowledge)]..." Rinse and repeat as necessary. (I used to do that when people would offer me help in Calc II just because I was a long-haired English major. Always hilarious.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:
firechicago wrote:ISHTST: Jacobites and Jacobins were both 18th century European political movements. There the similarity ends. If you know enough to use either term, then you should know enough to know the difference. Please do not confuse them.

Er, unless I thought they had some reason they should know about 18th century political movements I don't think that's exactly common knowledge. If they were a history major who studied the 18th century then certainly that's a ISHTST, but if it's joe off the street...

I wouldn't expect any person of the street to know about either group, but I also wouldn't expect any person off the street to try and talk about either group. The point is, if you know enough to try and talk about either one, you should know enough to be aware of the existence of the other and be aware that they are basically polar opposites, and not to be confused.

To put it in terms that more people here might understand: I wouldn't call someone stupid for not knowing what the Kelvin scale is, but someone who, without prompting, says something like "it was minus 20 degrees Kelvin" deserves all the mockery they get. It's OK not to know the terminology, but if you're going to use the terminology, know what the hell it means.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:27 am UTC

firechicago wrote:
Antimony-120 wrote:

I wouldn't expect any person of the street to know about either group, but I also wouldn't expect any person off the street to try and talk about either group. The point is, if you know enough to try and talk about either one, you should know enough to be aware of the existence of the other and be aware that they are basically polar opposites, and not to be confused.

To put it in terms that more people here might understand: I wouldn't call someone stupid for not knowing what the Kelvin scale is, but someone who, without prompting, says something like "it was minus 20 degrees Kelvin" deserves all the mockery they get. It's OK not to know the terminology, but if you're going to use the terminology, know what the hell it means.

ISHTST: Similar-sounding words - people confuse them sometimes. That doesn't make them instantly deserving of mockery.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

ISHTST: Tom Jones' 'Delilah' is not a suitable Valentine's song.
"I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more"
Do people even listen to the words?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Are you sure they're not thinking of "Hey There, Delilah" by the Plain White Ts?

Though, they could be equally dumb and be thinking of "Delilah" by The Cranberries. I'LL REARRANGE YOUR FACE!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

No, it was very specifically Tom Jones. :(
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Return to “General”