I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: I Shouldn't Have To Say This

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 am UTC

phlip wrote:More smoke alarms need a "this is a false alarm, shut up now" button... maybe even a preemptive "I'm about to cook something smoky, shut down for the next hour or so (but automatically reactivate after that time)".

Engineers? Get cracking. I need this shiz by the end of the day.

I mean really, what daft clot installs a smoke alarm directly above an oven? (Or, perhaps, an oven directly below a smoke alarm).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
phlip wrote:More smoke alarms need a "this is a false alarm, shut up now" button... maybe even a preemptive "I'm about to cook something smoky, shut down for the next hour or so (but automatically reactivate after that time)".

I mean really, what daft clot installs a smoke alarm directly above an oven? (Or, perhaps, an oven directly below a smoke alarm).

Just as I'm reading this, the dumbass who regularly burns toast right under the smoke alarm has struck again. I think I'm going deaf and thank my luck I'm not a dog.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 am UTC

Reminds me of the time while I lived at a dorm.

I was relaxing in the kitchen with a bottle of wine, and waiting for someone to come back and start drinking with me, then they came back, told me the alarm had gone off (hurray for the concept of the alarm not being loud enough to be heard in the kitchen?) and the three of us started evacuating the dorm.

Boy was I ever unpopular when I went down to the party in the basement, and cut the power (I was one of the few that knew how) to everything beside the lights and told people to get outside.

Turns out that kitchen 300 (meaning, third kitchen) had tried to make microwave popcorn, failed horrible (I honestly never figured out how they did it) and produced a big black ball of ash that smoked as hell. No problem so far, except they threw it into a thrashcan right below a fire alarm. Took like 20 minuts of me organizing people to search out what had set of the alarm before we figured out that none of kitchen 300 had evacuated because they knew what was going on - at which point I allowed people to go into the basement to continue partying.

It was the responsible action, but people was seriously pissed.

ISHTSH: If you have reserved equibment that we all use, god damn use it, or write out on the email list to say that you're not using it, so that someone else can use it. Preferbly in time for someone else to use it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 am UTC

Ulc wrote:...tried to make microwave popcorn, failed horrible (I honestly never figured out how they did it)

I managed to do that once. The pop-to-no-pop ratio seemed to be poor, so I gave it an extra couple of minutes. We had to rush the bag out to the yard as fast as we could. So:

ISHTSS: If it didn't pop, fuck it.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am UTC

One time I microwaved rice exactly the way I'd done it dozens of times before, but on this occasion the microwave-safe plastic bowl started burning and melting into a mess that filled the kitchen with a lovely carcinogenic aroma.

Turns out it's actually quite easy to make fire by microwaving stuff.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:21 am UTC

When I was in tech school at DLI, I had to do night CQ duty for a month while I waited for class to start. One night, we get a call that a fire alarm went off in one of the dorm buildings. The Monterey Fire Department was notified, and all us CQ guys piled into a van and drove up to the dorms to make sure everyone evacuated the dorm building safely. When we got there, there was no visible fire, but the place reeked of smoke. Once we made sure everyone had safely evacuated, the fire department arrived and we tried to find the source of the smoke.

Apparently, some girl decided to bake cookies in a toaster oven in one of the day rooms. She didn't have a cookie sheet to bake them on, so she thought it'd be a great idea to bake them on a piece of paperboard. She also thought it would be a good idea to leave the room while they were baking, leaving sole responsibility for watching the cookies to some other girl who happened to be asleep on the couch and completely unaware that anything was going on.

When the cookies burned enough that it set off the fire alarm, everyone started evacuating the dorm. As they were evacuating, little Miss Intelligent Baker goes back into the day room, gets the cookies out of the toaster oven, throws them into her dorm room, sprays down her room with a thick cloud of air freshener and proceeds to the nearest dorm exit.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:

Note that I say "More" because I have actually seen this... the first one, at least. The second one is just my wishful thinking. But there do exist smoke alarms with "mute" buttons... they're just surprisingly rare. Which just makes it worse... This is a solved problem! Why do we still have to put up with it?

Giant Speck wrote:When the cookies burned enough that it set off the fire alarm, everyone started evacuating the dorm. As they were evacuating, little Miss Intelligent Baker goes back into the day room, gets the cookies out of the toaster oven, throws them into her dorm room, sprays down her room with a thick cloud of air freshener and proceeds to the nearest dorm exit.

I'm guessing she was trying to cover up her efforts? I know that when I was living in a college at uni, if the fire alarm went off, and the fire dept was called (since it was one of those only-the-fire-dept-can-turn-off-the-alarm dealies) and it was a false alarm, the fire dept would fine the college, and they'd pass the fine right on to whoever set the alarm off.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:49 am UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:
Felstaff wrote:

Just as I'm reading this, the dumbass who regularly burns toast right under the smoke alarm has struck again. I think I'm going deaf and thank my luck I'm not a dog.

In the halls of residence when I was at uni, the fire alarms went off almost once a week for no reason at all. We guessed someone must have burnt some toast in one of the other kitchens or something.

Then one night, one of my hall mates set our whole kitchen on fire by neglecting some sausages. This did not trigger the fire alarm, and the first I knew about it was waking up in the morning and finding our burnt-out husk of a kitchen. What the hell?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am UTC

Maybe the fire destroyed the fire alarm?

I hope the insurance policy covers irony.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Our uni is especially vigilant about not letting the film students film anything in halls since someone managed to set fire to their kitchen with a studio light (they draped a sheet over it or something. These lights get VERY hot.)

ISHTST: If something gets hot enough that it comes with special gloves so you can touch it, don't drape a sheet over it.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

ISHTST: If an e-mail subject has the prefix "[SPAM:#]" it's probably spam.

(Background: My old university account forwards to my gmail account, but since I don't use my university account any more, basically the only thing that comes through from it is spam. My alma mater's spam filtering does this thing where, if it's not sure that something's spam, it passes it through while appending "[SPAM:#]" to the subject line. These e-mails have always, without exception, turned out to be spam. But after almost 5 years of marking them as spam, gmail still dumps a couple a year into my inbox.)

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

ISHTST: 25s don't go in the 45 rack, nor do 35s go in the 5 rack.

(Sheesh, folks keep doing stuff like that and weightlifters might start to develop a reputation for being stupid.)
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

One time when I was a kid we stayed at a hotel with a breakfast bar. They had pre-made waffles, so I grabbed one, set it on a styrofoam plate, and threw it in the microwave. I went and grabbed something else to eat and sat down to wait. I then noticed this horrific smell coming from the microwave. Apparently styrofoam is not meant to be heated. I snuck out and left.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

It's a revolving door. You can't push past people in it.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

A Hungarian is the only man who could follow you into a revolving door and come out first.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

ISHTST to myself: I just walked past a poster advertising 'Rediscovering Rorschach' an event at my uni. I got really excited, then realised they probably meant the psychological test rather than the character of the graphic novel.
I should probably think a bit more widely than pop culture references in future.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Screw it, show up in a Rorschach mask.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Screw it, show up in a Rorschach mask costume.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
I had a fried who did that for a con, he said the mask got really uncomfortable after a while.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
I had a fried who did that for a con, he said the mask got really uncomfortable after a while.

This is why my Hallowe'en costumes never involve masks.

EDIT: Although, to be fair, making half a costume out of cardboard isn't very comfortable either...
I mostly lurk. Hello.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

Yeah, one of my friends costumes involved a balaclava. By the end of the day that thing was so moist with sweat it was nearly a sponge.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

Darnit I knew I should have brought the boyfriends Rorschach costume to the States with me. Ah well that's a missed opportunity.

TimelordSimone wrote:This is why my Hallowe'en costumes never involve masks.
EDIT: Although, to be fair, making half a costume out of cardboard isn't very comfortable either...

What was it?
Whelan wrote:
Shakespeare was British.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Get a cloth sack and splash ink on it. Combine with trenchcoat+hat for maximum power!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:This is why my Hallowe'en costumes never involve masks.

What was it?

It was only really round my underarm that got uncomfortable. (The cardboard round my crotch and down my leg was over jeans, so that was fine. :P)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:50 am UTC

Please tell me that's a Naoto costume. :D

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 am UTC

Retne wrote:Please tell me that's a Naoto costume. :D

Yes it is. Although I mostly went with 'cyborg' because that was easier to explain.
But, uh, yeah.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

ISHTST: Now I really want a gay hermit crab...

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:ISHTST: Now I really want a gay hermit crab...

Is this from something you've been writing again? [Not stalking you I just remember you saying you were writing a story containing giraffes a while ago and that is the only explanation I can think of for this sudden want. :P]
Whelan wrote:
Shakespeare was British.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:
Promicin wrote:ISHTST: Now I really want a gay hermit crab...

Is this from something you've been writing again? [Not stalking you I just remember you saying you were writing a story containing giraffes a while ago and that is the only explanation I can think of for this sudden want. :P]

No, actually. My mom and I were talking about pets, and she said, about our weird fish that like to hide and make us think they've been eaten, "Why couldn't we have something normal? Like a crab? Although with our luck, it'd be a gay crab and have to change it's shell every day!" Then I got to thinking about Bedazzled shells, glittery shells, and shells with little scarves... and I really wanted a gay hermit crab. :lol:
But now that you mention it, a gay (or at least metrosexual) crab would fit perfectly into that story...

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

Darnit I knew I should have brought the boyfriends Rorschach costume to the States with me. Ah well that's a missed opportunity.

Spoiler:
Beans.jpg
Hope you don't mind.
Beans.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 am UTC

ISHTST: Don't tell female-demeaning jokes to women who don't know you.

(in response to a post on woman thread, indirectly)
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 am UTC

Promicin wrote:But now that you mention it, a gay (or at least metrosexual) crab would fit perfectly into that story...

Metrosexuals are just straight gay people.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 am UTC

Um, huh? Why? If I'm gay I must have a sense of style/dress well/shave my whatever/whatever is stereotypical of metrosexuals?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 am UTC

Just to make things clear, I was only having a go at the whole "metrosexuality" thing*. The only male gay friend I have goes around with jeans an T-shirt all the time.

EDIT: I feel bad that you took offense, and I'm sorry. I also feel like I haven't explained myself properly, so:

* the issue of metrosexuality came up during the last decade, at the same time that stereotypically "gay" lifestyle was being referred to in the media ("queer eye", for instance, and many gay characters all over) as being pretty much the same thing. The correlation of gay-metrosexual has nothing to do with actual people's sexuality and everything to do with stereotipical lifestyle and the media portrayal of it. Ditto for gay shellfish, by the way.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 am UTC

Me, at the front of a store with all doors open, three coworkers on registers and a customer being served:

'Yes sir, we are open.'
Nobody likes Milhouse!

benv

Postby benv » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Me having closed the door and bought down the shutters:

"No you cannot, we are closed"

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

ISHTST: It's very hypocritical to say foist your share of the project to others while saying "it's time for everyone to do their fair share."
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

MiB24601 wrote:ISHTST: It's very hypocritical to say foist your share of the project to others while saying "it's time for everyone to do their fair share."

Unfortunately, it's always highly subjective as to whether this is a fair summation of events for all parties involved.

Which is to say, if you want to confront someone then words really should be spoken. Although it's obvious to you they're not doing the work, to them the reverse may be equally apparent.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:Which is to say, if you want to confront someone then words really should be spoken. Although it's obvious to you they're not doing the work, to them the reverse may be equally apparent.

I'm not that bothered that he foisted the work to me and the others, it's just how he phrased it. While this is a work related project, it is being done for free and paying work needs to come first. However, I am still amazed that that he didn't recognize the irony in telling everyone else to do cover his part of the project by saying that they needed to do their fair share. And yes, it was the entirety of his part of the project.

It was just a ridiculous e-mail.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 am UTC

ISHTST, but just because you have been through the situation I am now going through does not mean that you have any idea how I am feeling right now. Different people experience different things differently. What was a walk in the park for you is very very difficult for me, and I'd really appreciate it if you'd just shut up about how much better you are because you didn't have to deal with what I'm dealing with.

Return to “General”