Sheer stupidity (Oh how I'd like to shear some of them)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rubber314chicken

Sheer stupidity (Oh how I'd like to shear some of them)

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Does it enrage anyone else like it does me? I can't stand it at all. I'm not talking about stupid like "I don't understand the Schrödinger's Cat Theory" or "I've got my High School Diploma and I didn't take one of the 30 AP classes my school offers" but stupid as in violating common sense.

Like at Rock Orchesta, when we are striking the stage, I'm always doing the most. I try to get others to help, but I rarely get any. One day, I decide to fix this problem by not doing anything, and just hanging out with them. The directors are mad that nothing is being done, and then ALL of them look at me and start getting mad that I'm not doing my work. I pull more weight than they do, and its MY fault?

Any other good stories?
Last edited by rubber314chicken on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

rath358
The bone of my bone

Re: Shear stupidity

Postby rath358 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 am UTC

in this context, shouldn't it be "sheer stupidity?" I think that qualifies

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 am UTC

rath358 wrote:in this context, shouldn't it be "sheer stupidity?" I think that qualifies

Crap. I've spent too much time working with shear stresses.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 am UTC

I work for an alarm company and let me tell you there are a LOT of dumb people with alarm systems. I have actually spoke to people who pay for an alarm system and do not know what it is, who do not know their birthday (one even thought they didn't HAVE a birthday), and one person who did not recognize the name of the company they own. You would think you would want to keep track of that sort of thing....

guyy

Re: Sheer stupidity (Oh how I'd like to shear some of them)

Postby guyy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:Like at Rock Orchesta, when we are striking the stage, I'm always doing the most. I try to get others to help, but I rarely get any. One day, I decide to fix this problem by not doing anything, and just hanging out with them. The directors are mad that nothing is being done, and then ALL of them look at me and start getting mad that I'm not doing my work. I pull more weight than they do, and its MY fault?

This is a combination of laziness (of the others who should be working) and expectation of predictability; that is, you normally do a certain amount of work, so regardless of how unfair that amount of work may be, the directors expect you to continue doing about that much for the foreseeable future, and if you don't they get anxious and translate that into anger directed at the thing that is different from usual (you). Not saying it isn't stupid (because it is very stupid), but that's at least a specific explanation.

That said, I'm not sure if I ever don't experience stuff like this when I'm out in The Real World.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am UTC

I'm not entirely sure if the following example truly qualifies, however... You find a special community of stupid while in the U.S. military. Ever hear of chem-light batteries? Yeah. They tried that on me. I took a nice long walk at their expense. Boy were they pissed when they found out I was "just following orders" and that their prank backfired on them.

Just don't try to answer any question directed at you by someone who outranks you (and finds that as license to be idiotic) in a logical, rational manner. Trust me.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 am UTC

I got into an argument with someone I know that Swine Flu was in fact not a form of STD that mexican farmers contracted from their pigs.
That is all.
Signatures are for chumps.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

I just spent 30 minutes trying to make someone understand that the delete-button on their computer is the one labeled "delete" and that no, it will no make their computer blow up if they press it. In the end they decided they'd rather talk to someone who is more qualified than me and he's now been sitting on the phone for 30 minutes telling them that pushing the delete-button does not mean typing d-e-l-e-t-e in notepad.

Generally I like idiots, aslong as they are willing to actually listen to what I say, it's the ones that put their hands over their ears and go "la-la-la-la-la" that gets me to bang my head in the wall.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

How do you know they're not just a troll? Maybe I'm being naive, but I have a hard time believing anybody can be that stupid.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:How do you know they're not just a troll? Maybe I'm being naive, but I have a hard time believing anybody can be that stupid.

Maybe because he's 50+ years, daily manager for his company and is paying quite a lot for our help?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Maybe because he's 50+ years, daily manager for his company and is paying quite a lot for our help?

Okay, wow. I fear for the future of the species.

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

"Aren't you afraid of being eaten by bears?"

We're in Australia.

"Did you know bread had yeast in it?"

Thank you captain obvious!

"How do you work MSN?"

She has facebook, myspace and all those things yet this 16 year old dumb bitch doesn't know how to get MSN.

"Sir!!! Ben cast a curse on me and now I have bad luck."

... That is all from one girl.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Well, not sure it counts as stupidity,

But my (at the time) girlfriend's iPod-clone/rip-off thing broke and she asked for my help fixing it. I took it home, diagnosed what the issue was (corrupt FAT32 partition) and then decided to surprise her by getting back all the music she lost. The files were pretty corrupted but I was able to play small chunks of the music - I spent about three hours painstakingly finding songs based on the lyrics I interpreted and getting new copies off torrents and the like.

Took it to school the next day, also loaded with some Harry Potter novels (since she was a huge fan) and told her what I'd done in a much less technobabble-ish way, and she said that I was stupid because her "dad put the music on there and i don't like it anyways" and I think even insulted me over it.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Bearboy wrote:"Aren't you afraid of being eaten by bears?"

We're in Australia.

Uh, yeah. That just means they'll drop on you.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:Well, not sure it counts as stupidity,

But my (at the time) girlfriend's iPod-clone/rip-off thing broke and she asked for my help fixing it. I took it home, diagnosed what the issue was (corrupt FAT32 partition) and then decided to surprise her by getting back all the music she lost. The files were pretty corrupted but I was able to play small chunks of the music - I spent about three hours painstakingly finding songs based on the lyrics I interpreted and getting new copies off torrents and the like.

Took it to school the next day, also loaded with some Harry Potter novels (since she was a huge fan) and told her what I'd done in a much less technobabble-ish way, and she said that I was stupid because her "dad put the music on there and i don't like it anyways" and I think even insulted me over it.

No good deed goes unpunished.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

I've had some issues along this line. Every so often I'll have to explain something that to me seems painfully obvious, but requires lengthy explanation for other people to make sense of.

Notable topics include the draw weight of bows, which is not the same as their length in inches, and European history in general. Though I like explaining history, so that's kind of cool.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:I'm not entirely sure if the following example truly qualifies, however... You find a special community of stupid while in the U.S. military. Ever hear of chem-light batteries? Yeah. They tried that on me. I took a nice long walk at their expense. Boy were they pissed when they found out I was "just following orders" and that their prank backfired on them.

Sounds like a week I was a manual labourer because I needed some quick cash. My Dad's an electrician and had told me all the stories of the things building-site veterans do to make a laughing stock out of the young 'uns, but I don't have that much of an accent and I'm doing a Maths degree so they assumed I was just another Middle Class twat who was gonna look down my noses at them and needed to be taken down a peg. So when I was told to go to the sight manager to get a box of holes and a long weight (long wait) while I was at it, I came back and gave them a box of washers after a rather pleasant fourty minutes or so listening to Pink Floyd's Meddle album with a cup of tea.

But on the subject of stupidity that gets on my nerves:
I hate it when people tell me that I'm "good at computers". Seriously, no I'm not, I just do what's obvious. I once had someone telling me that I was a genius yesterday because when they had an error message saying something along the lines of "You're Lexmark 1300X printer does not have the correct drivers installed, please go to the company's website and download and install the correct drivers" I solved the problem by going to Lexmark's website and downloaded and installed the drivers for the 1300X series of printers for Windows XP.
I felt like shouting at the woman who said it: "Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to do that; the computer TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO. You don't have to be fucking Einstein to work it out, you just have to be able to follow instructions. You're a TEACHER for fucks sakes; a damn good one at that. You can get children who don't want to learn to get A*s and you're in charge of organising the studies for an entire yeargroup (a yeargroup of about 200 students). You are a very clever woman so why do you loose all that and come running for someones help as soon as the smallest hiccough occurs in the realm of computers? What the hell?" In the end, though, I restrained myself. What I actually said was: "Thanks Mum."
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:"dad put the music on there and i don't like it anyways"

What a gosh darn cunt. At least you don't have to deal that girlfriend anymore.

OBrien, I think some people just aren't able to understand computers. My neighbor has owned a computer for at least 3 years and still doesn't understand that desktops depend on an external power source. He knocks on my door every power outage, asking me to fix his computer "cuz it stopped working again!" Basically I pretend to fix it while he tells me stories. Truth is, I don't know a thing about computer hardware beyond cleaning, so all I do is open up the case and clean out the dust. You'd think he'd figure it out after the second or third time, but he hasn't (I've done it at least seven times). Or maybe he does know and he just wants someone else to clean out his case. XD
...It made more sense in my head.

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

Uh, yeah. That just means they'll drop on you.

I actually had her beleiving the dropbear story. An Australian, who has never left the country, believed that drop bears exist.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:"Aren't you afraid of being eaten by bears?"

We're in Australia.

FEAR THE KOALA BEARS! Ok, so they aren't actually bears. Fear them none-the-less.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:39 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:
Zorlin wrote:"dad put the music on there and i don't like it anyways"

What a gosh darn cunt. At least you don't have to deal that girlfriend anymore.

I made the mistake of trying to be friends after we broke up - and she put me through about a year of hell. I should post the full story here sometime - at one point she asked me to move in with her days after saying she hated me.
<Matt> dude, your life is a fucking soap opera
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

For the best stories of sheer stupidity just check out the darwin awards.
http://www.darwinawards.com/
maybe if this is witty enough, someone will finally love me

Return to “General”