Daydreaming

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Esperite

Daydreaming

Postby Esperite » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 am UTC

I'm curious if my daydreaming habits are something alot of people do, or something unique.
If you daydream, describe how deep and how intricately you think about it. Or, if you don't think too much about them, talk about that.

I tend to daydream alot, such as when I don't have anything to do, a particularly interesting idea comes to my mind, or, sometimes, just because I can. My daydreams are usually very thought out and detailed, and most of the time I daydream about a specific thing multiple times. Fantasy worlds are one of the things I daydream about constantly, sometimes completely original, sometimes based on something I read/played/watched. I just enjoy inventing a world in my head and daydreaming about it and about characters in it. I'll design systems of magic, different kingdoms, history, and characters (one generally representing me, but not always.) I'll think up different scenerios and situations, and just keep thinking about them in my head. Since I daydream about some things mutliple times, I tend to develop characters alot, who I generally find interesting and fun. I almost never come up with names though.
I also like daydreaming to explore and experiment with ideas I've had, especially if I have no other outlets. For example, when I'm designing a deck for Magic: the Gathering I just daydream what it would be like and examine it. I see if it would be good, fun, and interesting.

So, anyone else daydream in detail? It would be cool to know.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Daydreaming

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:31 am UTC

I do, but yours are way more imaginative than mine. Mine generally are me inside whatever I've been reading/watching lately.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

bbq

Postby bbq » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Never do it on a bike.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Madwolf

Postby Madwolf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

I do just about the exact same thing, just with my own interests at heart of course. :) Daydreaming is an excellent way to work through problems, or come up with new ideas etc. I do it almost constantly, but its really fun going out for a ~2 hour walk with my mp3 player going and seeing where my mind takes me. 8)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

My best ideas come to me when I'm daydreaming, in the car, walking, away from anything I can use to record my ideas :evil:

My daydreams tend to turn out similar to Esperite's full of detail, usually with a character who represents what I ideally want to be like, a few other characters thrown in, and usually a main focus on things I find particularily awesome.

Chase_kun

Postby Chase_kun » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 am UTC

If I daydream, It's usually an awesome fight scene, usually around a cliff or meadow. And swords. swords are always included.
"SHADDUP YOU MOUTH!!!"

InfiniteLoup

Postby InfiniteLoup » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 am UTC

I daydream a lot about stories. Usually, my daydreams involve working out scenes and figuring out what would best happen next in the plot. I have one fairly large and detailed fantasy story steeping in my head right now which is basically the best parts and characters of all my other ideas. I also have this ongoing world which is basically the most insane(-ly bad) crossover fanfic to ever live. Whenever I come across a new book or movie or TV show situation I like, it gets fed/filtered through this fanfic (for lack of a better word - I would never write any of it down).

How vividly do the rest of you daydream? I can definitely "see" what's going on when I want to.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

I tell myself stories a lot. They can be all kinds, fantasy and sci fi, historical fiction. Sometimes I star in novels of literary merit filled with symbolism! Sometimes they are my own stories and sometimes they are other people's.

I almost always plan out what I will do in case of an emergency situation in a particular venue. Mostly I just try to face the door, or other obvious weak points.

Another big thing I do is walk through conversations and social encounters before I have them. I plan out exactly what each person is going to say. They never happen like I plan them, but it calms me down and gives me confidence!

Something that I do that I think most people don't is what I call daymares. It is in which I obsessively think about a particular scenario that is frightening and disturbing to me. It's a kind of compulsion, I think. :/
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

AidenWin

Postby AidenWin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I do all the time, but i dont remember them for too long after. The other day i was daydreaming about zip lining through costa rica, having the zip line break, and me doing a cool flip onto a cliff and made it there safely. lol

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Daydreaming is fun!

Except for ones about actual things to do with actual people (visualizing conversations I might have later, &c.), most of mine seem to be set in one (really pretty large) continuity that I remember starting to come up with at least back in... 4th or 5th grade, maybe, if not earlier. Usually the daydreams are either tying in whatever I've read recently (Hooray for private fanfic! (though I've noticed the self-insert element has gotten smaller since I was a kid.)), or just keeping myself amused with the character I use as an alter-ego (I'm walking across campus and get bored... so, hey! What if somebody else popped out of nowhere onto the quad and started a fight? Those tend to play out like #337. Alternatively, "Hey, that guy over there looks interesting! What if he was actually..."). If I get interested, I can keep going off and on with those for a while. If I'm trying to think out a story, I'll occasionally work out scenes for those instead, since they tend to use the same sort of characters.

Complex daydreaming is fun!
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:57 am UTC

ASmileWithoutACat wrote:Hooray for private fanfic!!

hooray indeed!

Err, is it healthy to daydream about an xkcd RTS?

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:03 am UTC

My daydreaming invariably has a problem-solving element in it. I'm either solving something or planning/building something.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:11 am UTC

I daydream about fictional worlds too. Never what actually happens in them, but just the world itself. They can get extremely detailed, as I have spent multiple years daydreaming about some of them.

(My main problem is the characters... They are less important than the setting to me, so most of them never get fleshed out. I have yet to make a protagonist for my latest one, on account of the villain being pretty much entirely unbeatable.)

Enid

Postby Enid » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:02 am UTC

FlagPoleSitta wrote:Something that I do that I think most people don't is what I call daymares. It is in which I obsessively think about a particular scenario that is frightening and disturbing to me. It's a kind of compulsion, I think. :/

I do this a lot as well. I've gotten better than when I was a kid though. I used to drive myself to tears on a regular basis.

I have fun daydreams too. They're pretty varied... My favorite type might be like ASmileWithoutACat said, when I see someone who looks interesting and make up a life for them, sometimes intersecting with my life. Like they're a secret agent or something. That got kinda freaky once when I was in a Salsarita's and the guy I was thinking about (wow this is starting to make me sound creepy) stood up and I could see he was actually carrying a gun. It's also weird when I'm sleep deprived and the line between reality and fantasy starts to get a bit blurred.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:51 am UTC

My daydreams are generally about what I'm reading at the time, or the people around me. I'm a "what if" kind of person when it comes to situations, so I always end up imagining what could have happened if, say, so-and-so fell out the window, or the school caught on fire, or some guy decided to randomly make out with some girl. They're usually very "out there", very implausible, and would never actually happen, which is the whole point for me. They also can get pretty morbid, and then I'll yell at myself, like I'm wishing my brothers were dead, instead of just imagining it as a hypothetical.

My normal dreams are a lot like the very detailed day-dreams the OP described. I usually have a fair amount of control over the actions of characters, if not the settings and basic plot, and they're usually very intricate, full of plot twists and character development. Hell, once I even dreamed a sequel. [/off topic]
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:26 am UTC

I had to consult wikipedia for this one, as my previous idea of daydreaming was nothing like what you guys have described.

Nightshade wrote:My daydreaming invariably has a problem-solving element in it. I'm either solving something or planning/building something.

This is the closest response so far to me. I think about calculations and stuff mostly, and though I know I occasionally daydream about other stuff I don't remember any of it. And no matter what, I'm pretty sure i never have much visual aspect to my daydreams.

What's the difference between daydreaming and just thinking hard about something?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:17 am UTC

I daydream whenever I don't have anything that I have to focus on. Mostly when I daydream I tend to get very involved with it. Which isn't quite good. I use daydreaming to sone out when I am travelling between places, want to sleep or just generally am bored.

My daydreams are pretty elaborate with their own worlds and stories. I have written down some of it but there usually is a bit too much to get it all down.

Usually I daydream by telling myself stories, but I never manage to finish these. Other times I'll jus sone out and think of possible scenarios that may occur or potential "what if"-situations.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am UTC

First of all: Zoning Out Is a Crucial Mental State

With that out of the way, I have two types of daydreaming/zoning-out/what-you-call-it: Type one involves me having nothing to do, so I begin to make up stuff to pass the time. That may include typical thinking like what I should do about something in the future or what I should have done about something in the past but sometimes it takes crazy directions and I find myself designing games or stories or crazy computer projects. Type two is more interesting: It begins with me having something specific to do, like studying for an exam or paying attention to a lecture. But sometimes, somehow, one of the things in the studying/lecture/whatever triggers a crazy chain of thoughts that leads to crazy game/story/whatever design themed after the element that triggered it.

Edit: I also do the sword fight thing. It usually begins with me slowly and dramatically getting my sword out of its scabbard. Then, I proceed to SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH!! :D
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

InfiniteLoup wrote:I daydream a lot about stories. Usually, my daydreams involve working out scenes and figuring out what would best happen next in the plot. I have one fairly large and detailed fantasy story steeping in my head right now which is basically the best parts and characters of all my other ideas. I also have this ongoing world which is basically the most insane(-ly bad) crossover fanfic to ever live. Whenever I come across a new book or movie or TV show situation I like, it gets fed/filtered through this fanfic (for lack of a better word - I would never write any of it down).

Holy bajesus. All this time I thought I was the only one crazy/strange enough to do this! You've described, perfectly, how I daydream. Even the "most horrible crossover fanfic" part of it.

Incidentally, this is also a method I use to get to sleep. If I'm having trouble sleeping, writing another mental chapter of my ongoing massive virtual fanfic helps me drift off.

ThePurpleSmurf

Postby ThePurpleSmurf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:38 am UTC

I, too, use daydreaming to help me get to sleep. It's even more interesting when you fall asleep halfway through daydreaming and it becomes actual dreaming. Bizarreness occurs. The other ideal time for me to daydream is when I'm in a car or train or other mode of transportation. Occasionally I ride past my stop and then double back just so I can remain in the world I've created, because there's a particularly interesting scene I want to play out.

Like others who have come before me, I sometimes insert myself into things I'm reading or just use the characters already created to construct an ending more to my liking, although I've done this less often as I've gotten older. If I do build off existing works, I usually create back stories for my favorite characters.
There is no method to my madness.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Nightshade wrote:My daydreaming invariably has a problem-solving element in it. I'm either solving something or planning/building something.

Indeed, I tend to combine problem solving occasionally.

btw, on other forums, I sometimes set my Username as Nightshade... seriously, reading your username briefly made me look twice in suprise.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:02 am UTC

I tend to daydream more about reality and such. For example if Im board and im in the mood to I will try to retain both a macro and microscopic view of the universe at the same time. Try to imagine the superstructure of the universe while imagining the electric field fluctuating all around while keeping a picture of the solar system and earth and life on earth and molecules and atoms all at the same time. Its very rewarding when you can see it all at once, even for a second. Though often I will drift of with solutions to problems i come up with or issues i notice cropping up during the day. There are always the occasional choreographed fight scene. I also tend to converse with myself about upcoming events and such in my life. Bounce ideas of myself and such.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

SOSkanesumi ARK

Postby SOSkanesumi ARK » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 am UTC

i daydream mostly about the woman i am infatuated with mostky, other that that usually about cars, and usually happens when its slow at work.
Navi> hey luke hows han these days?
<luke> han?
<Navi> solo
* luke facepalms

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

My daydreams are a sort of hybrid of the things everyone else has said. I too have various little worlds in my head, but because I usually get around to writing some of them I tend to think of them more in terms of characterization, plot points, filling up plot holes etc. If I'm mulling over some personal problem or argument, my thought patterns become like Socratic dialogues, with me answering the questions while at the same time asking them, but in the form of somebody else; usually it's a friend, someone I've just met, or a fictional character. I know that doesn't make much sense, but daydreams rarely do make sense... I also have a lot of 'What if?' daydreams, like 'What if I had said this instead/grew up in America/had a missing leg/was a member of *insert band here*?' and from there I digress into all sorts of imaginings...basically, my thoughts are permanently wiki-walking :lol:
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:04 am UTC

My overactive imagination always keeps me from falling asleep, unlike some of the other posters. I have to clear my mind or I'll never get any rest.

Anyways... I daydream about fictional worlds in which I'm a character... I usually spend more time on designing the world than developing the plot. I usually spend weeks on a particular story before making up a new one. Sometimes I'll recycle good stories and refine them.

If I'm pissed at someone I usually play back our argument and 'fix' it so that I've won and they've made a fool of themselves. It's a good mental cathartic.

If I screw up in some way I like to imagine that I'm telling someone why I did what I did. Sometimes I describe myself to an imaginary person just to see what I can learn about myself through that exercise. It's actually really helpful. Things that I've realized in my day dreaming sessions often pop up in the occasional self help/relationship book that I skim through.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Tonight I realized that sometimes I have conversations with myself, sort of imagining that I'm talking to someone I know. It's sort of like conversations I want to have and things I want to explain, but can't for whatever reason. It's a bit odd and I didn't even realize I was doing it.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Tonight I realized that sometimes I have conversations with myself, sort of imagining that I'm talking to someone I know. It's sort of like conversations I want to have and things I want to explain, but can't for whatever reason. It's a bit odd and I didn't even realize I was doing it.

I do this all the time.
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

I do it too. Then when I have the conversations they never go like i imagined them.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ThePurpleSmurf

Postby ThePurpleSmurf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

I do it, but I have conversations that would never actually occur, so it's not that useful a social tool.
There is no method to my madness.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Me too. I'll have different parts of my personality talk to each other. They're all named my name, and if there are any visuals it'll just be a white room with chairs or things to sit on while conversing. I'll get into arguments with myself, but usually only two of my selves at a time.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

I listen to music, in my head. Or the easy bits. And they tend to loop instead of finishing...
I sometimes find myself somewhere without really knowing how I've got there, only that I've been thinking loads. Usually happens when I'm gokarting, actually. Very odd.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Hoofed Plover

Postby Hoofed Plover » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

If I'm in a really boring class, I'll often imagine escaping from the room in some daring, action movie-esque way, like by jumping out the window or running up the walls and through the roof.
Hic labor ille domus et inextricabilis error
—Virgil

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

wst wrote:I listen to music, in my head. Or the easy bits. And they tend to loop instead of finishing...

Animal Crackers wrote:"Say, if you get near an ending, play it."
"I think I went past it."
"Well, if it comes round again, jump off."
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

fersrs wrote:Me too. I'll have different parts of my personality talk to each other. They're all named my name, and if there are any visuals it'll just be a white room with chairs or things to sit on while conversing. I'll get into arguments with myself, but usually only two of my selves at a time.

This, minus the visuals and the cap on the number of "me"s. I have two distinct personalities, too, and the argue a lot. And then it gets even weirder, when one of the "me"s isn't talking, and the other is trying to do a poor imitation of her, so that she won't get bored.

I'm crazy.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Saphy

Postby Saphy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

My best friend stares off into space a lot. I'm not quite sure what she is daydreaming about, but she always has a silly look on her face and I have to snap her out of if it haha. She's actually writing a college essay on her spaciness. :) She's mentioned that she likes to imagine the future and goals and stuff. I personally don't really daydream... I mean I think about things but I don't exactly space off much.
Image Image Image Image

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

I don't really get that spacey when I daydream (I think), but I do alot of other stuff people have talked about too. I talk to myself when I daydream, but generally in a disembodied voice kind of way, and generally only one 'me' is there. I also think of different conversations and scenerios that, most likely, will never happen. It's just interesting for me to think about how I would respond though. As for music, I also listen to music in my head alot, but I don't usually remember all of it, and it loops. This is especially true with anime theme-songs, which get stuck in my head very easily. I almost never know the actual words in Japanese, so I just imitate the sound to make it similar.

Glad I'm not the only one with interesting daydreaming habits =).
— Oscar Wilde

ValCantFocus

Postby ValCantFocus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Hi everyone,

My 10 yr old is quite the day dreamer. So much so, she is struggling in school and to be honest, i'm getting frustrated with her inability to focus.

If I may... I have a question:
This daydreaming that you all are describing, does it affect your school work in a negative way?
My daughter has MOUNDS of homework nightly and often looses free time during school to catch up on her work, which, starts her to daydreaming about what everyone else is doing... so on and so forth. It seems to be a vicious circle that she can not get under control.

Your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

My daydreaming doesn't affect me that much. If I daydream in class I can't pay as much attention, but its not a compulsion for me to daydream, so I just don't do it when I want to pay attention. (If I know the subject area and don't want to pay attention though...) But yeah, it's not a focus issue for me.
— Oscar Wilde

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I had to consult wikipedia for this one, as my previous idea of daydreaming was nothing like what you guys have described.

This is the closest response so far to me. I think about calculations and stuff mostly, and though I know I occasionally daydream about other stuff I don't remember any of it. And no matter what, I'm pretty sure i never have much visual aspect to my daydreams.

What's the difference between daydreaming and just thinking hard about something?

Yeah, I don't recognize what most of you lot describe when you talk about daydreaming. I do zone out occasionally, but when I do, it's usually because I'm busy with some problem. And this is never anything even remotely close to a dream. More like attention shifting towards internal monologue.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PowPit

Postby PowPit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:38 am UTC

My daydreams mostly resemble action movies. With lots of gunfires and explosions and jumpings and kickings. Oh, and sword fights too of course. That's an essential distraction from the boring daily routine for me. But often I'm also just having conversations with myself, where I explain something to other people in my mind. Kinda helps to organize my thoughts.

Return to “General”