Top blogs

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PerPer

Top blogs

Postby PerPer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I can't believe I didn't find a thread about this.

I feel a bit blog-starved, so tell me about what blogs you enjoy reading.

Just post a link to the blog and a short description of what it's about. Thimples!
"If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves." - Douglas Adams

To bad you can only use 255 characters, otherwise I would write somethin

Hamorad

Re: Top blogs

Postby Hamorad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Well I daresay I'm not usually one to toot my own horn but I might as well offer up my blog, which is conveniently located in my signature here. I update regularly with my err, creative writing pieces with the usual intention that they are funny. I try out lots of different writing styles and if you go through my (currently) short archive you will surely find one you like.

riboflavin

Postby riboflavin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com - Lighthearted fun with very nice commentary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/marinahyde - Her celebrity column is not the usual trash, drips with wit and sarcasm

http://www.durhamtownship.com - Photoblog with often very beautiful pictures. Nice sort of thing to pop up every few days or so.

http://kottke.org - Stuff of general interest. It has a knack of pretty much always being interesting.
"Exothermic reactions are reactions which occur outside"

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Boing Boing-all sorts of interesting stuff, although the majority is cool science.

SlashDot-their slogan"News for Nerds. Stuff that matters."

Dead Air Space-just like everyone else here probably does.

HuffingtonPost-all types of news; very good in the field of politics.

reddit usually links me to anything else worth seeing.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

The blogs I follow are too many to list, but here you go anyway. I won't try to decide which ones are the best and whatnot but I would gladly give suggestions for a specific topic.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Charles Stross, writer. Because pretty much everything he writes is interesting to me.

Some bloke cooking Fergus Henderson's stuff. Because I cook that stuff also.

xkcd blog. Same reason I'm here.

George R.R. Martin, writer. Mostly for updates on the next book and the telly show. Winter Is Coming blog, same reason.

Various other food/drink blogs on an ad-hoc basis, details upon request :P

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Bad Astronomy - Awesome blog.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Bartimaeus wrote:HuffingtonPost-all types of news; very good in the field of politics.

I can't vouch for their political coverage, but the Huffington Post is phenomenally bad at science reporting. Their site is largely known as a haven for anti-vaxers and hokum-peddlers by the skeptical community.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

The only blog I really read at all is Shamus Young's.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

foresthouse

Postby foresthouse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am UTC

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

My own blog: Ruler of the Interwebs.

Aside from that, Cruise Elroy is a cool blog by a guy at Harmonix that deals with Music Theory in videogames. Very cool, if you're in to that stuff.

http://cracked.com is one of the funniest blogs known to mankind, in my opinion.

A friend of mine has a site called http://theendive.com. It's an off-the-wall surrealist/absurdist political satire site (the name is a funny take on theonion.com). He is truly insane. It's worth a looksee.

I read http://geekdad.com, a Wired blog for geek parents. A lot of good insight and ideas here. A little heavy on the tabletop gaming scene, though.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

schuldkroete

Postby schuldkroete » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Not really a blog, but anyway. I enjoy reading mcgrew's Slashdot journal. Bit of a soap opera, but very well written and entertaining. He claims it's all true, too (not that it were any less fun to read if it were fiction).

And, of course, BBspot.
HEALTH WARNING: Care should be taken when lifting this product, since its mass, and thus its weight, is dependent on its velocity relative to the user. The manufacturer cannot be held liable for injury or damage resulting from relativistic mass increase.

Grokker

Postby Grokker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

John Scalzi's Whatever (http://whatever.scalzi.com/) is generally pretty amusing.
Also, though I don't know how much it counts as a blog, I second Cracked.com, that site is great.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I've seen most of what I read mentioned already, but I'll add http://ambulancedriverfiles.blogspot.com/ to the list. I don't really agree with his politics, but he's a good enough guy and his stories can be quite entertaining (in the "greatest hits" sidebar, look at Sumdood: Evil Criminal Mastermind), or quite sad ("Perspectives").

Edit: oh, and if you decide to read the perspectives series entirely through, the last blogger shut down the linked blog and reposted her portion of each series over here.
Last edited by Cynical Idealist on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 am UTC

My favorite would be Graceful Flavor. There's been too much technology stuff for me lately, but it's still good. There's also The Cranky Flier, which actually makes information about airlines interesting.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:50 am UTC

The Dilbert Blog.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:49 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:The Dilbert Blog.

Haha, I used to read that but after a point I couldn't stand it any more. The guy is completely nuts!
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Cake Wrecks. It's often quite funny.

Goths in Hot Weather. Also often worth a giggle.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

Photoshop Disasters - Remember folks, advertisings companies got paid stupid amounts of money to make this. The advertising executives and editors and so on all approved it before sending it to the client company. The client company looked it over and gave it their OK. And no one noticed the fuckups along the way.

Sure, sometimes it's nitpicky problems. Other times it's "Many people were fired, right?"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Photoshop Disasters - Remember folks, advertisings companies got paid stupid amounts of money to make this. The advertising executives and editors and so on all approved it before sending it to the client company. The client company looked it over and gave it their OK. And no one noticed the fuckups along the way.

Sure, sometimes it's nitpicky problems. Other times it's "Many people were fired, right?"

The funniest thing about this blog is how I have to stare for 2 minutes at each picture to get an idea of what maybe is what's wrong with it.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Photoshop Disasters - Remember folks, advertisings companies got paid stupid amounts of money to make this. The advertising executives and editors and so on all approved it before sending it to the client company. The client company looked it over and gave it their OK. And no one noticed the fuckups along the way.

I greatly prefer Cake Wrecks. The wrecks are almost always obvious (Photoshop Disasters can sometimes be a bit hard to spot), and you also get to see really cool cakes like the dragon at the top of this post. Also, CAKE!
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Grokker

Postby Grokker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Naurgul wrote:
Cloud Walker wrote:The Dilbert Blog.

Haha, I used to read that but after a point I couldn't stand it any more. The guy is completely nuts!

Heh, I always found his 'completely nuts' posts to be the best ones. All of his random stuff about politics and economics[aka all his stuff in the past year] is generally completely dull. His book of old blog posts "Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brains" is actually pretty awesome as it's full of the really entertaining funny/crazy posts.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:41 am UTC

the xkcd blag, of course
Plus lifehacker and gizmodo--lots of tech related/life tips.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Vishal gupta and winsupersite suits good for techies.
and also sysinternals blog where mark russinovich fixes windows problems like no other...

Return to “General”