Geek VS Nerd

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

canoemoose

Re: Geek VS Nerd

Postby canoemoose » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:My favourite term though, for engineering types, is "boffin". I think it's always had an endearing quality, and makes me think of guys in white coats holding spanners, rushing to finish off the death-ray before the Martians arrive.

This was originally a derogatory term for a German missile scientist during the Second World War.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:My favourite term though, for engineering types, is "boffin".

I got called that all the way through school and I despised it. It makes me feel... stabby.

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

I usually consider nerds to be socially inept, or at least fairly up-tight about lots of stuff. They are intelligent, but they will still study for an hour or two for the test the next day.

I consider Geeks to be intelligent as well, and may be a bit socially awkward, but are typically much looser about rules and studying. While a nerd might have studied for hours, a geek might have "not done it because it's boring."

I think that I heard someone say: "Both a nerd and a geek will ace the final test, but only the geek will go to the party afterward."

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:50 am UTC

A geek is a person whose intense interests take up so much time that they become different in personality from most other non-geeks.

A nerd is a person whose behavior causes others to think of them as a machine.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Narius

Postby Narius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 am UTC

I've actually had multiple discussions with people trying to explain this difference, as I perceive it anyways.
I label myself in the geek category.
Both geeks and nerds are intelligent, but I think the differentiating factor is social ability and awareness.
Geeks have a relatively 'higher' level of social ability than nerds. They aren't socially awkward and and can pick up on unspoken communicative cues and such.
When I think of a nerd, I think of the character Screech Powers from the old show "Saved by the Bell" (no idea if anyone here would have actually watched it...)
That's my take on it.

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:42 am UTC

blue halax wrote:Empirical evidence!

They are the same, look at how it is interpreting the input, "geek, +--nerd" and "nerd, +--geek". The '--' is a double negative which means that the statements are "geek, ++nerd" and "nerd, ++geek".

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Nope, that's not how that works. A single minus "demotes" things with that tag, while a double minus removes them. Not completely cure what's up with the plus in front, but the double minus does not mean plus.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “General”