Tesla's Celibacy

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheNextCaesar

Tesla's Celibacy

Postby TheNextCaesar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Does anyone know if Tesla lost his virginity and then decided to become celibate or if it was something lifelong. I'm not a creeper, it just sparked my interest the other day when I realized that in all the things I read about Tesla, it never specified it.
"'Sup, dawg? I heard you like simple harmonic motion, so I put a spring in a spring, so you can wave while you wave."
D. Lowenthal, Ph.G

Splendid

Re: Tesla's Celibacy

Postby Splendid » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:18 am UTC

I've only been able to find that he was a life-long bachelor and was celibate. Wikipedia says, "Tesla never married. He was celibate and claimed that his chastity was very helpful to his scientific abilities.[22] Nonetheless there have been numerous accounts of women vying for Tesla's affection, even some madly in love with him. Tesla, though polite, behaved rather ambivalently to these women in the romantic sense." To me this is leaning towards "virgin", but not definite.

On a separate note, there were a ton of other interesting facts about him I didn't know until today. To wit: he thought of Edison as somewhat of a noob.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:24 am UTC

I've heard guesses that he was asexual. Also that he was gay, but that's a pretty comon assumption about anyone who doesn't get married and have kids.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:54 am UTC

I think this is all you need to know.

Well, that, from what I've read he was a bit strange (talked to pigeons and OCD a bit), so it wouldn't surprise me if his convictions about science were so strong that he could have a theory that being celibate would help his scientific method.

And from this, I can kind of conclude that if he did ever try to prove this theory with testing, he probably wouldn't have published the results. Then again, maybe he did; we was kind of weird.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:11 am UTC

I like to think that one of his crazy experiments burnt it right off.
~steve

TheNextCaesar

Postby TheNextCaesar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Splendid wrote:I've only been able to find that he was a life-long bachelor and was celibate. Wikipedia says, "Tesla never married. He was celibate and claimed that his chastity was very helpful to his scientific abilities.[22] Nonetheless there have been numerous accounts of women vying for Tesla's affection, even some madly in love with him. Tesla, though polite, behaved rather ambivalently to these women in the romantic sense." To me this is leaning towards "virgin", but not definite.

On a separate note, there were a ton of other interesting facts about him I didn't know until today. To wit: he thought of Edison as somewhat of a noob.

That's because Edison was.
"'Sup, dawg? I heard you like simple harmonic motion, so I put a spring in a spring, so you can wave while you wave."
D. Lowenthal, Ph.G

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

I've read that he was romantically interested in pigeons. Also, his hatred for Edison seems to stem more from their competition, as well as Edisons scientific methods. Whereas Tesla was known more for deriving his inventions from dreams or inspiration or the proof behind their reason, Edison was an avid experimentalist, purportedly attempting thousands upon thousands of materials until he came across the right alloy for lightbulbs. He was even trying things that don't make any sense, like wet wool.

Also, I've read numerous accounts of Teslas extreme OCD to the point of rudeness. There's a famous story that he sent his secretary home because he thought her dress was inappropriate. I've also heard the story account that her dress was simply the wrong color. I imagine this tale is rather steeped in the authors opinion of Tesla, however. But yes, it seems he was asexual, rather then gay or otherwise.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

TheNextCaesar wrote:
Splendid wrote:To wit: he thought of Edison as somewhat of a noob.

QFT
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:I think this is all you need to know.

Damn! I came running in here to post that particular strip and you've beaten me to it!
i dare you to take me on...

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
TheNextCaesar wrote:
Splendid wrote:To wit: he thought of Edison as somewhat of a noob.

QFT

Wait, Is ponies gone?

QFT

edit: yes!
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Return to “General”