Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GenericAnimeBoy

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

:lol: I thought that was the lesser of movie reference evils. Since you murdered me, I'll mention that the alternative was:

So come up to the lab.
And see what's on the slab.
I see you shiver with antici...
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:How about this young chap?

my god... its amazing.....

i must learn how to rap like this guy.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Love his Eminem-style high singing at the end.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

...pation.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

]})

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Since this thread is purportedly about awesome things, I should mention that Mumpy's current avatar is a thing that is awesome.
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

N'awwwww thank you, I seem to have struck gold with this avatar. I wish I could claim any sort of credit, but it's all down to stumbleUpon and whoever drew this magnificent bastion of punnery.

(Felstaff, as usual, does it better though)

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:15 am UTC

Real life superheroes. I feel like I'm living the movie - Kick Ass :D This is amazing, despite the guy's criminal records and what not :P Here's a YouTube video that shows them in action.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Real life superheroes. I feel like I'm living the movie - Kick Ass :D This is amazing, despite the guy's criminal records and what not :P Here's a YouTube video that shows them in action.

There's a lot of them. I know Mr. Silent and Doktor DiscorD were around almost a decade ago, but it wouldn't surprise me to know they weren't even close to the first. I think my favorite one is Angle Grinder Man.

Some of them look pretty neat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

Looking through that gallery makes me realise that I've never heard of a superhero larp and that makes me sad.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Amie wrote:Real life superheroes. I feel like I'm living the movie - Kick Ass :D This is amazing, despite the guy's criminal records and what not :P Here's a YouTube video that shows them in action.

There's a lot of them. I know Mr. Silent and Doktor DiscorD were around almost a decade ago, but it wouldn't surprise me to know they weren't even close to the first. I think my favorite one is Angle Grinder Man.

:D Thank you for the links, looking at them now. Sadly, none of this ever happens around where I live. Maybe I should set it off!

ST, you are truly the King of the Internets. Thank you.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

This {business name} Internet category is filtered: Non-Traditional Religions and Occult and Folklore.

Err... really?
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

I played my first roleplaying game in years! :D
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:I played my first roleplaying game in years! :D

cool, which one?

felltir

Postby felltir » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

Heroes of Britannica :D

Pretty sure my friend made it up, but it was great!
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Heroes of Britannica :D

Pretty sure my friend made it up, but it was great!

uhhh.... never heard of it.

are you talking about a video game, or a larp?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

I'm guessing it's of the tabletop variety.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I'm guessing it's of the tabletop variety.

ahh that would explain it.

felltir

Postby felltir » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I'm guessing it's of the tabletop variety.

CORRECT
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

By the way, Tom, "Please use proper grammar" doesn't mean "Use proper grammar for a couple posts immediately following this request, then just stop again".

Not trying to be a dick, but I think most people are hoping that you'll improve (you seem more willing than most to try) and this is a simple thing that will go a long way towards that end. :)
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:By the way, Tom, "Please use proper grammar" doesn't mean "Use proper grammar for a couple posts immediately following this request, then just stop again".

Not trying to be a dick, but I think most people are hoping that you'll improve (you seem more willing than most to try) and this is a simple thing that will go a long way towards that end. :)

Oh i'm sorry. I totally forgot, and my grammar and english has a tendency to collapse when i am not thinking about it.

Sometimes I find it difficult to even think in english. THOSE are weird days......

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

You think in English when you're not composing or writing?

Huh.

...wait, am I the freak who doesn't?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You think in English when you're not composing or writing?

Huh.

...wait, am I the freak who doesn't?

no actually, i don't think in any form of language at all most of the time, but sometimes the english comes back in small spurts.

it makes it a real pain on the days when im not in english mode, and someone attempts to talk to me.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

General question: If you don't think in English or well a language, how do you think? Is it all a series of images? Or.. well I'm not sure what else that's why I'm asking.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:General question: If you don't think in English or well a language, how do you think? Is it all a series of images? Or.. well I'm not sure what else that's why I'm asking.

Pretty good question.
Actually yes, most of it is images, or just feelings, intentions etc.
I'm just a weird person.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:General question: If you don't think in English or well a language, how do you think? Is it all a series of images? Or.. well I'm not sure what else that's why I'm asking.

simple...he doesn't think
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:

very funny, you come up with that yourself?

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

I don't always think in English. On the other hand, English isn't my first language either, which maybe makes it more noteworthy that sometimes I indeed use it in thoughts.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
DSenette wrote:

very funny, you come up with that yourself?

probably? it's the easiest solution to not thinking in any language.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

I was going to go with crayon doodles. That would be kind of cool.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Visual imagery sometimes, sometimes sound and smell or taste or whatever. Mental shorthand, too - like a Red Fire Truck with the lights going, the siren blazing and it travelling down a road at a high rate of speed is a very specific thought/vibe/something that's closely related to the Ambulance in a similar situation, and a bit farther away from the Police Car one - Fire Trucks and Ambulances being distinct, but very similar emotions, Police Vehicles being similar with a dash of Fear on top.

Like, let's say that for some reason the notion of sitting on a dock at a small lake on a warm sunny day with the leaves starting to turn and eating an apple were to occur to me. The thought of eating an apple is the notion of biting into it and how it feels in my mouth, the taste and smell of it, the feel of it in my hand, possibly fluid escaping and running down my mouth all in a quick emotional blip, akin to a snare hit or bass note in song, or a word in a sentence - it's a small element of the whole, but can be dissected into parts that are distinct and unrelated (what does flavor have to do with a semi-sphere in the hand?) but all tie together to complete the experience.

And it's most in.. for lack of a better word.. emotional hits, momentary color flashes and sound/smell snippets. Once I start exploring the notion deeper (in the case of the above notion), it becomes far more visual and the details get filled in as needed. For example, the person in my notion is an Asian male in the 8-10 range wearing a light blue shirt, dark blue shorts, white ankle socks and black Converse sneakers. Why? Beats the shit out of me. That's what my head went to when I started asking "So who's eating the Apple... okay, Asian kid wearing.. alright, I guess."

But yeah, the running tally for loose thinking is of emotional pulls with color splashes and smell/sound snips. Deeper thinking is more of monolog to myself (in English) and exploring it like at a lecture wherein I occasionally ask myself questions to make myself clarify a point, sometimes as if I were actively trying to dissuade myself from thinking something.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Huh interesting. I think in complete German (and sometimes English) sentences.Sometimes in the form of an imaginary dialog. I find it hard to form images without commenting them in words. I blame spending too much of my childhood reading books.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

That is interesting. I generally think in just English words. Normally full sentences, sometimes random words will just pop in and then I'll marshall my thoughts into some more complex sentences about them. Oh and some imaginary dialogue, talking to myself and others, remembering something that happened and thinking of a better response etc. But if I think of images, as PeteP said, they're narrated.

Awesome: People are fascinating because of their variety.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Just the other day I was thinking about how primitive humans would have thought before language. I imagined it would have been something along the lines of images, senses, and emotions like ST said. Everyone I had ever talked to about how they thought said they thought in English (or some other language) so I was having a hard time picturing what wordless thought would be like.

I wish my thoughts were more like this. I definitely have images when I'm thinking about some things but it's fairly guaranteed that there will be words along with it too. Now that I think about it, I realized I have virtually no conscious recollection of smell. I can recognize smells but I wouldn't be able to describe any with anything better than vague generalities after the fact. For instance, I'm trying to imagine what a lake smells like (considering there are three within four miles it shouldn't too hard of a prospect) but just can't no matter how hard I think about it.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Just the other day I was thinking about how primitive humans would have thought before language.

One sheep. Two sheep. Three sheep.

Lots of sheep. (seriously, try counting a random number of objects without addition).

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am UTC

I think a lot of how we think might be based on our childhood. There are the extremes, such as a child who is deaf or blind not thinking in terms of images or sounds, and likely everything in between. Personally, I seem to think mostly in complete English sentences, with images overlaying it, and the images are almost always defined by the words, not the other way around.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:(seriously, try counting a random number of objects without addition)

As long as that number is under ten I'm set, after that I have to seriously consider if it's worth taking my shoes off.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:46 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote: For instance, I'm trying to imagine what a lake smells like (considering there are three within four miles it shouldn't too hard of a prospect) but just can't no matter how hard I think about it.
And if I start thinking of lakes for too long, I start almost actually smelling it. That nice /wet/ /dead fish/ and /algae or whatever the fuck the green shit is/ smell.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 am UTC

This book is related to this conversation. I read it. It's good.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:(seriously, try counting a random number of objects without addition)

As long as that number is under ten I'm set, after that I have to seriously consider if it's worth taking my shoes off.

Even without the almost unconscious "that's three fingers and two fingers I just saw five fingers"?
Counting to ten in a single glance is abnormal.

Return to “General”