Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Could you like not stereotype "guys on the internet"?

I can do it too! Hey, Women on the internet are all vapid attention whores, amiright?

Yeah, sorry. I was going to type MRAs instead, but the shift key is like all the way over there and eh.

EDIT: You know, if I could make one change to English it might be adding types of plurals that differentiate between "more than one of X" and "all of X". I feel like some arguments/friction come from people misinterpreting one meaning for the other. Men treat women like objects, people in the US are overweight, Yankees fans suck.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

my bike, it ROLLS!

i think i forgot how nice a freshly serviced bike feels, it just kind of hugs the road like a child to its mother.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:19 am UTC

I got my tablet today. I am posting from it now.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Dice rings are a thing, if you don't like geometric solids. Also they're from a successful Kickstarter, so that's cool.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:15 am UTC

My girlfriend wears a d% dice ring from the kickstarter. I can't resist playing with it all the time.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

those are fucking epic. Just ordered 3 of them.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

beojan

Postby beojan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:EDIT: You know, if I could make one change to English it might be adding types of plurals that differentiate between "more than one of X" and "all of X". I feel like some arguments/friction come from people misinterpreting one meaning for the other. Men treat women like objects, people in the US are overweight, Yankees fans suck.

Isn't that the purpose of the word "some".
"More than one of X" -> "Some Xes" (or maybe "these Xes, or "a few Xes", etc)
"All of X" -> "Xes"

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

beojan wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:EDIT: You know, if I could make one change to English it might be adding types of plurals that differentiate between "more than one of X" and "all of X". I feel like some arguments/friction come from people misinterpreting one meaning for the other. Men treat women like objects, people in the US are overweight, Yankees fans suck.

Isn't that the purpose of the word "some".
"More than one of X" -> "Some Xes" (or maybe "these Xes, or "a few Xes", etc)
"All of X" -> "Xes"

Pfft. Qualifiers take too long to type. All of them. :)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

went out this weekend with a girl i have been interested in, i think i told you all about that a few weeks back. (she took me out lol) well this time i got to do the driving, and the paying and such. had a very nice time, i really think she is into me.

all in all, its kind of nice to just go do something with someone who isn't completely psychotic like the previous people i went out with.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:went out this weekend with a girl i have been interested in, i think i told you all about that a few weeks back. (she took me out lol) well this time i got to do the driving, and the paying and such. had a very nice time, i really think she is into me.

all in all, its kind of nice to just go do something with someone who isn't completely psychotic like the previous people i went out with.

Way to go. It's always nice to hear about people having these moments of happiness. Good luck.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

thank you, i will try not to mess this up.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 am UTC

[urlhttp://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/the-35-best-times-someone-on-facebook-thought-the-onion-was-real/=]The 35 best times someone on facebook has believed an Onion article.[/url]

The best ones are where one of the commenters points out that it's satire and the person doesn't believe them.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Those are mostly (all?) from the blog Literally Unbelievable, which documents same.

And yeah, I agree, those are the best, along with the ones where someone says, in all (apparent) seriousness, that The Onion is "not always reliable" or some such sentiment.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Angua wrote:[urlhttp://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/the-35-best-times-someone-on-facebook-thought-the-onion-was-real/=]The 35 best times someone on facebook has believed an Onion article.[/url]

The best ones are where one of the commenters points out that it's satire and the person doesn't believe them.

The 35 best times someone on facebook has believed an Onion article.
FTFY

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

A line I just read on twitter said something like "There's a new app to find out which of your relatives is racist - it's called FaceBook". Apparently the acid test is sharing an article from The Onion and seeing who takes the bait. Although at least one of those posts *looks* like it could just be someone playing along.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Thanks Magnanimous for posting that dice ring. I think I'm going to get one.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Could you like not stereotype "guys on the internet"?

I can do it too! Hey, Women on the internet are all vapid attention whores, amiright?

No, no, the stereotype is that there aren't women on the internet.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Daedalus is a fictional inventor created by David E. H. Jones in the 1960's for his Ariadne column in the New Scientist and The Guardian, and which is currently featured in Nature.
Daedalus's imaginary inventions are solidly grounded in science — usually just within the bounds of technical plausibility, and often prophetic.
For example, he once designed a locomotive fueled by fine grass shavings, to be gathered en route by a lawnmower installed in place of the usual cowcatcher. According to Daedalus's computations, the natural growth of grass planted between the rails would produce enough shavings to propel a fully laden train every hour.
Other proposals included fullerenes and the space elevator.
In the columns, Daedalus' inventions are often developed by the fictional company Daedalus Research Evaluation and Development Corporation (DREADCO).

Book: The Inventions of Daedalus: A Compendium of Plausible Schemes
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Apparently, I am a superhero called SKELETON MAN. Or maybe you are. Huh.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:Apparently, I am a superhero called SKELETON MAN. Or maybe you are. Huh.

Ok that made me smirk
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:Apparently, I am a superhero called SKELETON MAN. Or maybe you are. Huh.

I'm not clicking the link, but I am pretty confident that it is indeed awesome. Or even Awesome.

Skeleton eyes ...
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

voicedotter

Re: Awesome Thread (to balance Rant Thread)

Postby voicedotter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Muffinman42 wrote:This thread for all things awesome is a awesome thing to have.
Words are a really awesome thing, try to think about something without useing words.
Biscuits at the perfect point between soggy and crunchy are awesome.

hmm, words are pretty damned awesome, we can't really call anything awesome without them.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

It's cold and rainy and I don't have to make the 45 minute commute to campus anymore! Wooo!
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Last night, my brother wanted to go to a burlesque night to celebrate his birthday. Fair enough, it's not really my thing, but it was what he wanted, so I went along. They actually had a couple of really good acts, and I won two prizes - one in a raffle, and one for being the best-dressed man there! Awesome!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Last night, my brother wanted to go to a burlesque night to celebrate his birthday. Fair enough, it's not really my thing, but it was what he wanted, so I went along. They actually had a couple of really good acts, and I won two prizes - one in a raffle, and one for being the best-dressed man there! Awesome!

Burlesque can be quite awesome when the acts are good - especially when it's more acrobatics + dance + cheeky humour and the stripping is just an expression of the last part. I've even seen some acts that were tame enough to make it onto TV, and they were still great.
pollywog wrote:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:09 am UTC

I'd personally rather see a burlesque show than go to a strip club. I hate strip clubs.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am UTC

I was quite upset that they'd changed the Burlesque tent at Glasto this year. While stand up and Radio 4 programs being broadcast live from a huge tent was fun, it was no way near as good as the tiny, 500-capacity tent with the pissed up compare and 70-odd year old ladies doing fan dances incredibly well while winking at the young men in the crowd. So it goes.

Awesomeness: Despite being away from the fora for over 15 months, Giant Speck still has that wonderful, wonderful avvy.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

I'm with ConMan - I much preferred the acts that had a bit of humour and played around with things a bit. The best were definitely an act called Riding The Valkyrie - she was an opera singer, and he was some kind of circus performer. So we had opera, fire-eating, knife juggling and whip tricks, as well as a bit of raunchiness. They were pretty awesome.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

I am now the proud owner of a multifunctional colour laser printer.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Turns out painting is a much better outlet when you're down or stressed than lurking forums and reddit. This is something to keep in mind in the future.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 am UTC

I saw Patrick Rothfuss playing euchre in the hotel lobby at PAX last night.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Turns out painting is a much better outlet when you're down or stressed than lurking forums and reddit. This is something to keep in mind in the future.

I'd order it: physical labour, light-hearted films / TV / books, then internet in terms of getting rid of stress and shittyness. The work takes up all your attention so you can't think about what's ailing you and seeing undeniable accomplishment in front of you at the end of it (Eg: a painted ceiling, a tidy room, shiny new buttons on your coat, etc.) makes you feel a lot better about yourself, and everything else, one those negative thoughts creep back in. Internet leaves too much of your attention fee to wander and has far too high a probability of encountering arseholes for me tu use it to de-stress.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

i has a girlfriend.

it all happened so quickly, im a little shocked myself, but she is just damned perfect for me.

how did i ever earn this? im not sure.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Maybe you didn't earn it - means you should enjoy it even more.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

My city won the right to host the 2020 Olympics!

Woooooohooooo!
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Congratulations! You should try to go to an event. I went to the London Olympics and the atmosphere was pretty awesome.

vonrims

Postby vonrims » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

This week there's some events going on and I went to one, which was a shopping cart rally. Two people per team, one sits in the cart, two teams on the track. We won. The prize was two 7th generation iPod nanos. So.. that was pretty cool. Didn't go to win, didn't expect to win, just wanted to race with a shopping cart and somehow managed to get the prize anyway.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Tomorrow morning, I'll not only have television and internet installed, but my very first washer and dryer will arrive at my doorstep and will be installed as well! Hurray for crossing another item off my "becoming an adult" bucket list!

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

I have a roommate I like! I mean, you know, so far...but still: I have a roommate I like! (okay chrome, so "nevermind" is not a word, "alright" is also not a word, I can live with that, but how on Earth is "roommate" not a word?! what am I supposed to say here?)
Anyway this is so awesome and unheard-of in the two years that I've lived in a dorm that it needs to be shared here.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

I ran a motherfucking half marathon today. At a pace nearly a time and a half my usual. Four months ago, I didn't run at all.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Return to “General”