Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:17 am UTC

i might have found my mom a new place to live

it's only tentatively awesome but it makes me feel so much better already just having a spot of hope
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

I just finished the first draft of my research review and it's only ~400 words over the limit which is totally doable!

Yes it's been 7 hours since I last ate and that was a box of maltesers following an actual meal 6 hours before that, bu that's beside the point. It is done. And now I can eat and sleep and then start revision for my exam next week and work on the other piece of coursework due in in a week and a half. It'll be FINE
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 pm UTC

today is mom's moving day, and also the last day before my five-day third-anniversary vacation.

i've been so stressed waiting for this day to be over, to know that mom is moved out of the hell hole she's been in and is safe at last and I can relax and have a good time with my girlfriend for our anniversary and not have mom problems exploding and ruining the whole thing.

i've been extra stressed today because I saw in her bank activity (I manage her money for her) that she hadn't withdrawn the money to pay the rent at the new place yet and so I assumed hadn't talked to the guy and so hadn't signed the contract and secured the new place, and I didn't see any calls or texts at all on her phone records (she's on my phone plan) today which had me terrified in light of some insanity that her batshit-crazy housemates were doing last night that she might be... I don't know what, but unable to make phone calls at the least.

she asked me last night not to worry (despite the shit that was going on last night), and to relax today and look forward to my vacation, so I didn't want to call her and let on that I was stressing out so much just in case it was nothing but then the day went on and on and still the money was unmoved and still no calls and I caved in and called. I wish I had called much earlier, it would have spared me so much worry.

she signed the contract and secured the place and the guy's just letting her pay when she's done moving. grandma and my cousin are over there helping her move, and the crazy housemates aren't impeding her. they've already made several trips, so I know for sure that she's actually can get into the new place and just needs to finish the moving, which I'm sure grandma and cousin will help her do as long as necessary.

Tonight she will be sleeping in her new room in a gorgeous house in a gated community with a view of the community pool out her window, safe and sound. She's within a block of two grocery stores and so won't have to worry about getting rides to get food and things and being charged exorbitant "gas money" that's more than she's even spending on the groceries like she has been. She has a week's worth of spending money plus a little extra already moved over that should last her through my vacation, and a $50 emergency fund set aside besides the rest of her month's spending money after that in case of any unexpected expenses when I get back. She got her new glasses yesterday, so she can see at last. She's got wifi so the cellular data usage won't be exorbitantly high, and we have so much rollover from last month that even if she doesn't get hooked up to the wifi there immediately it won't cause any overages. She knows how to look up phone numbers on the internet now so she won't be calling 411 and incurring charges that way. She has device location turned on for both her phone and tablet so if they somehow get lost in the move we can find them and won't have to pay to replace them yet again.

(God, I'm going down my mental list of all the problems I worry about because they've happened before, and so many of them are phone-related).

On top of that, she's got a support network besides just me and grandma now. While most of her family completely abandoned her (yelling at me for daring to ask if she could sleep on someone's couch for a night while between places, back when we thought that would be necessary), one of her sisters said "of course" she would always be there for anything mom needs. That feels a little bit hollow to me because where was that sister when mom's life fell apart four months ago and I had to catch her to the tune of thousands of dollars, where has that sister been since then as I've barely managed to hold mom's life together, did mom just not tell her anything about it at all, or did she say and not get any help?

But much better than that... after the rest of mom's family abandoned her, I was literally crying "I have no family", and then realized I have a whole other family, dad's family. Dad estranged himself (and by proxy me) from them when I was very young and I've had very little contact with them my whole life so I hardly remember that they exist half the time, but the little contact I do have with them has always been very warm and loving, so when I remembered them I called the closest one of them out of desperation to ask for help for my mom... and without hesitation she offered first to lend a couch to sleep on (which is all I was asking at the time), but then when she realized she couldn't actually offer that, instead offered to pay to put my mom up in a hotel for a few nights, and then when that wasn't necessary anymore as plans changed, transformed that into an offer to pay mom's pro-rated rent for the rest of this month at the new place, and sent extra cash on top of that just to be safe, and has been keeping in touch with my mom almost nightly since then offering emotional support and any other kind of support, including financial, that my mom might possibly need. All of this for her estranged brother's ex-wife whom she hasn't seen in decades. She also invited mom and I to all of that side of my family's holiday get-togethers like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mom and I have a family again. A better family. If dad doesn't want to be a part of that, his loss; I'll take mom minus her relatives and dad's relatives minus him and call that my family.

About half an hour now until I leave for my anniversary vacation. I hope this is the start of an awesome rest of the year.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 am UTC

That sounds great Pfhorrest, I'm glad it's working out for you and your mom!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 am UTC

I have a little awesome.
Do any of you remember my Peach Tree?

I grew it from a seed I took from my mouth, after eating the Peach.
It bloomed a few weeks ago. The question of it Fruiting came up.

It can only fruit, if there is another Peach Tree near enough for the pollinators to reach.

Ta-Da! It made a few little tiny Peaches.
We now know, there IS another Peach Tree...somewhere in a circle around my Peach Tree.

So..awesome little peaches from a seed I took from my mouth.
It's awesome to the gardener within. Peaches!

No!
I can not live on my tiny little peaches.
If I were to live from my garden, I'd starve.

I know this, I took a class.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

addams, I think that counts as a big awesome. How long ago did you plant it?
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 pm UTC

I think I remember reading about you planting this (I think I might of stumbled across it while doing some archive-diving, as it was probably before I joined). That's wonderful :D

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:38 am UTC

I did something cool last night: Rubbed my polyester trackpants on a tramp to build up a localized charge, then pointed at it and had miniscule lightning bolts shower from my finger! The rubbing also produced a lot of sparks.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:01 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Rubbed my polyester trackpants on a tramp

Do hobos have this effect on pants?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 am UTC

If they're dry enough, probably.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

We got to try out the whole 108 step long form in my tai chi class tonight! It's so spirally and twisty and flowing and wonderful! :D Some of the later moves are just gorgeous. I can't wait till I get to learn them properly. There is also a move in there that looks exactly like the Hadoken (minus the fireball unfortunately).

On the downside I managed to strain my right ring finger from too much single whip posture.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

Some Old White Dude asked me once what the difference between tai chi and yoga was. I did not resort to violence OR snark.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:30 pm UTC

It's official: I'm promoted, and now have 8 people that report to me.

Very management, such buisnessing, wow.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

for the record: it was not the start of an awesome rest of the year. mom's new place fell through at the last second, my anniversary vacation was ruined, and i'm more miserable than ever.

theoretically that might all be about to change tomorrow though, so i guess awesome maybe? i've even up on counting chickens, even after they've hatched. they'll probably just die in infancy anyway.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 01, 2015 3:39 am UTC

Shro wrote:Some Old White Dude asked me once what the difference between tai chi and yoga was. I did not resort to violence OR snark.
Just like, out of the blue for no reason?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 01, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

In a coffee shop, talking to the owner and a barista after a yoga class. I was all zen'd out after yoga, and didn't want to harsh my mellow, so I pulled a fade-away: "Oh, you know, they're from different regions ... and they're different forms of exercise... *trails off*.... *ignores*.... *talks to someone else*.

What I really wanted to say : Yo, I am not your glossary. Google it. I know an Indian chick doing yoga probably seems like some sort of authority on the subject, but I do not have the time, nor the inclination to answer a question presented so disrespectfully(It was not asked very nicely. I think it even started with a "So."). Sometimes people like to act like they're the ones doing you a favor by "letting you" explain something of your ethnicity to them. Like "Ohh, look, I'm so tolerant, why don't you tell me about your ethnicity, aren't you just so grateful for this opportunity I am giving you right now?" If I am the knowledge holder in a situation, and you are the knowledge seeker, please stick to that script - don't let this whole race thing change how you interact with someone else. Roll up with a bit of an intro first "Oh hey, you're into $thing? $personIKnow is into $thing. $question about $thing." Then maybe the question formatted as furthering this conversation: "Hey, I was always wondering, are you familiar with tai chi? I was wondering about the similarities and differences between the two." Would you ever want to engage with someone who comes up to you and straight out the gate asks you *what* the difference is between two *vastly* different things? Imagine these sentences being the first ones spoken to you: "so what is the difference between hockey and baseball?" "So what is the difference between memory and hard drive". Now think about the attitude you would have to have for those sentences to be considered a respectful request for information. You'd have to be 5. You're not. Grow the fuck up and learn to have a grown ass conversation.

I'm just a bag of fun on my "honest" days. (That's what I've begun to call what other people call PMSing: when my brain isn't bathed in all those nurturing hormones that will forgive you when you pull some shit? That's when shit gets real, and you hear what I *really* think about you. I'm not a bitch during those days, I can just tolerate your jackassery better when I have the hormones to help out. But unluckily for you, they're not here right now.)

I've also had an Old White Dude ask me if my taco from taco bell was a shwarma. Ah, to be ambiguously ethnic.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 03, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

Totally understand.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

mom is actually physically moved into her new place and slept there last night and I saw it and saw her there myself and it's a very nice neighborhood and a very nice house and for this month at least she will have good enough money to live comfortably there

...then next month and on indefinitely she has almost no money and will have to rely largely on charity for food, but we've got some charity like that lined up already, both from an actual charity and from my dad and from my aunt on dad's side.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon May 04, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

Good to hear your mom has a safe place to live. Perhaps you can try for your vacation again? And if your girlfriend has been with you for three years, she knows about the crap-fest you've been dealing with. While special, an anniversary vacation isnt the only way she knows she's important to you.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

i already took time off for the vacation and went and did things with the girlfriend

we did fun things but the trip was not relaxing because mom was interrupting it constantly and then any calm i might have had upon returning was destroyed by finding out what had happened in my absence

i don't think it was destroyed for my girlfriend, or that there's any doubt about our importance to each other. it's just that what was supposed to be a chance to reset for me was ruined for that purpose, and now i won't have an opportunity (leave from work or money to spend) to take time off like that again for another year.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

i've got 5 days until i graduate from high school! which is awesome! and also really fucking terrifying. :')
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu May 07, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

I remember the feeling of giddy freedom, and also the the standing-on-a-precipice vertigo. You're about to leave the last guaran-fucking-teed thing you'll have in your life. Everything after now is more or less optional.

(Besides the need to make a living of sorts, of course. That will turn up sometime soonish, and last a really long time. Enjoy the phase you're in now: cashless, freedomful.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat May 09, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

I love introducing google cardboard to people....

So, do you want to see my holiday photos? Queue 3d being on edge of cliff with waterfall.
Do you want to fly around London? Google earth that!
Here are some dinosaurs.
And a space rollercoaster.
And a short horror experience.
And a crazy game where you control a flying bee!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 09, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I love introducing google cardboard to people....

So, do you want to see my holiday photos? Queue 3d being on edge of cliff with waterfall.
Do you want to fly around London? Google earth that!
Here are some dinosaurs.
And a space rollercoaster.
And a short horror experience.
And a crazy game where you control a flying bee!

It appears that I am one of today's lucky 10,000. How good is the VR - do you get a proper 3D effect?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat May 09, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

It's pretty basic, but cool for what you're getting. I've got a galaxy note 3 so it's still a bit pixellated, but according to my brother the newer phones keep getting better and better resolutions so they'll work with the lenses.

The photos I took are definitely best when there's nothing up close, but it's still pretty amazing, especially from the ledge of a waterfall. They aren't proper 3d.

Google earth works best in cities which have street view- my island is pretty flat, but it's still cool.

The virtual environments that have been made for the cardboard are proper 3D though, but I've only tried programs that are free so it's not anything like the cinema, but still neat.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 09, 2015 9:31 pm UTC

Angua wrote:It's pretty basic, but cool for what you're getting. I've got a galaxy note 3 so it's still a bit pixellated, but according to my brother the newer phones keep getting better and better resolutions so they'll work with the lenses.

The photos I took are definitely best when there's nothing up close, but it's still pretty amazing, especially from the ledge of a waterfall. They aren't proper 3d.

Google earth works best in cities which have street view- my island is pretty flat, but it's still cool.

The virtual environments that have been made for the cardboard are proper 3D though, but I've only tried programs that are free so it's not anything like the cinema, but still neat.

Cool, thanks for the details - I'll probably leave off buying one in that case (but still try to find someone I know IRL who has one so I can sneak a look at it). I'm pretty good at viewing cross-eyed stereograms (learnt it back when I was having difficulty grokking protein structures in undergrad - viewing them in proper 3D using Jmol really helps), so unless it's significantly better than that it doesn't really do anything extra for me.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun May 10, 2015 3:31 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
Angua wrote:It's pretty basic, but cool for what you're getting. I've got a galaxy note 3 so it's still a bit pixellated, but according to my brother the newer phones keep getting better and better resolutions so they'll work with the lenses.

Cool, thanks for the details - I'll probably leave off buying one in that case (but still try to find someone I know IRL who has one so I can sneak a look at it). I'm pretty good at viewing cross-eyed stereograms (learnt it back when I was having difficulty grokking protein structures in undergrad - viewing them in proper 3D using Jmol really helps), so unless it's significantly better than that it doesn't really do anything extra for me.

Being shortsighted, I was able to use the app without the cardboard and lenses. You might manage it too. Problem is my Moto G doesn't have a gyroscope, so head tracking is terrible at best. (at worst the whole scene is tilted 90 degrees and moved half off the screen)

Regarding buying it, it's designed to be easy to make yourself, and complete kits are only a few dollars.

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Being shortsighted, I was able to use the app without the cardboard and lenses. You might manage it too. Problem is my Moto G doesn't have a gyroscope, so head tracking is terrible at best. (at worst the whole scene is tilted 90 degrees and moved half off the screen)

Hmm... Turns out that it's just a parallel stereogram, with the lenses so you can focus closer and increase the FOV, and so you don't have to do the deliberate eye unfocusing thing - I can do the unfocusing thing so I think it might work really well on my 10" tablet at about 12" distance. It's app installing time! :D

Regarding buying it, it's designed to be easy to make yourself, and complete kits are only a few dollars.

It's more that I own way too much stuff already, and I'm not keen on adding extra things that I might only use a few times (I presume you have to buy the lenses at least) - I'm on a bit of a "use what you already own" drive at the moment.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed May 13, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

My brother's coffee company will be part of the NYC international food festival. They will be on 9th between 48 and 49. If you're in or near NYC this weekend look for New York Gourmet Coffee. And buy some!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri May 15, 2015 8:27 am UTC

A LEGO Mindstorms EV3 for $308 ($230 US) is awesome! I will build a Mindcuber, which will draw a crowd at the LEGO show in July.

he/him/his

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue May 19, 2015 7:16 am UTC

Ok, so I'm loitering outside a club, waiting for a show to start. Chatting with some guy, turns out to be a grad student in a technical bio field, so we have lots of stuff to talk about - science, math, computers, plus assorted underground music, la la la. After a while, the conversation wanders to this:

Him: ..... I'm from [country X] ....
Me: Oh, do you like [band I like from country X]?
Him: That was my band!
Me: !!!

Heh.

(And yeah - I looked it up when I got home, and he definitely was an ex-member of that band.)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 19, 2015 1:19 pm UTC

Club him over the head and drag him back to the cave, you found a keeper.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Mon May 25, 2015 12:22 am UTC

I'm at the airport and will be onna plane to visit cuties (*pokes DaBigCheez*) in an hour or 7! :D

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

My Delphinium are blooming!
They are stunning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=delphin ... 800%3B1069

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphinium

A photo does not do them justice.
The colors are so rich I can almost taste them.
The flower stalks are nearly as tall as I am.

This is an easy to grow and reliable perennial.
If you like to garden, I recommend Delphinium.
The Delphinium are very rewarding.

oxoiron wrote:addams, I think that counts as a big awesome. How long ago did you plant it?

Quercus wrote:I think I remember reading about you planting this (I think I might of stumbled across it while doing some archive-diving, as it was probably before I joined). That's wonderful :D

Oh! The peach tree is thriving.
I took the seed from my mouth three years ago.
Today I have tiny peaches on a tree that is five feet tall.

And, One more thing;
Yellow and black swallow tail butterflies have come to visit my garden.
They are a graceful and nearly magical addition to the flowers.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

My final exam was today. I have had some drinkies to drink. I am going to start my PhD in September, things are pretty great right now.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

Yay! Congratulations!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 am UTC

Hooray for last exams! And PhDs!
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 am UTC

Three Cheers for the doctor to be.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:20 pm UTC

Wooooo! Exams finishing is great. Congratulations and I hope cool science-y PhD stuff's great next year.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:58 am UTC

Hooray, I quit smoking! Two weeks already. !

Return to “General”