Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby roband » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

Aye, you read through it getting more and more amused - then that last line is just about the perfect punchline :D

User avatar
chridd
Has a vermicelli title
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am UTC
Location: ...Earth, I guess?
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby chridd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
roband wrote:http://www.sewingandembroiderywarehouse.com/embtrb.htm

That is spectacular. I never thought I'd laugh so much at what is presumably a simple html coding error. I think it's because the subject matter is so mundane. What's the font size of the final line?
According to Firefox's inspector, it's 7998.83px (though it's nested so deep that it messes up the list of tags, so I'm not sure if I selected the right element). The element enclosing it is 5000-something, so it's not just the maximum font size.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

User avatar
WilliamTheConqueror
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm UTC
Location: *tips meme*

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

As the sun rose this morning, I could look at it without my eyes burning, so that was pretty cool. It was the colour of the inside of a grapefruit, only more violent.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

Violent Grapefruit will be the title of my next instrumental composition.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
WilliamTheConqueror
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm UTC
Location: *tips meme*

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Violent Grapefruit will be the title of my next instrumental composition.


Sweet. :D
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Awesome tread: awesome

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 am UTC

I got my hybrid bike fixed up and sold it. I asked $160 for it (including the $100 it cost to repair it) and ended up getting $180 for it. Yay! I need to sell some other stuff.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

Ordered boots on amazon, and they are almost here! yay!
Image

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby felltir » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 am UTC

Apparently I'm good enough at my job that a co-worker decided to email my boss about how good I am, apropos nothing.

yesssssss
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

I wish I had coworkers like that.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Suzaku » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 am UTC

That is an awesome colleague.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 am UTC

On a similar note: Today I had to ask my coworkers collectively to stop thanking me for every tiny thing I do for them, because the constant stream of grateful email is disrupting my workflow. (Because most emails I get are new items for my to-do list, so I look at each one that comes in to prioritize. It's especially bad when it's in response to something that was titled "RUSH...", and I get a new message with that same title back with contents that just say "Thanks!" for the rush thing I already did and don't need to drop everything I'm working on for again).

(I asked in the nicest way possible of course and we all had a laugh about it).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
marchlight
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby marchlight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:On a similar note: Today I had to ask my coworkers collectively to stop thanking me for every tiny thing I do for them, because the constant stream of grateful email is disrupting my workflow. (Because most emails I get are new items for my to-do list, so I look at each one that comes in to prioritize. It's especially bad when it's in response to something that was titled "RUSH...", and I get a new message with that same title back with contents that just say "Thanks!" for the rush thing I already did and don't need to drop everything I'm working on for again).

(I asked in the nicest way possible of course and we all had a laugh about it).

I appreciate your post (and yes, I see the irony in my "thanks" post here). I often don't know what is expected in social interaction, and one thing I always anguish over for longer than I care to admit is whether to send that "thanks" email. It seems rude not to, but it also seems rude to clutter their inbox with a pointless email. It's nice to hear that someone on the other end of that is happier not getting that email.

User avatar
voicedotter
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm UTC
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand, Earth alt universe #596
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby voicedotter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 am UTC

so I saw this today: chainsaw art of an alien egg table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIWyjf4AgQ

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:48 am UTC

marchlight wrote:I appreciate your post (and yes, I see the irony in my "thanks" post here). I often don't know what is expected in social interaction, and one thing I always anguish over for longer than I care to admit is whether to send that "thanks" email. It seems rude not to, but it also seems rude to clutter their inbox with a pointless email. It's nice to hear that someone on the other end of that is happier not getting that email.

I know firsthand that not everyone is like me in that way, though. Most people upstream from me in the workflow will tend to start messaging me "sir did you get the file I sent you" if I don't reply "thanks" to them promptly enough.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 am UTC

voicedotter wrote:so I saw this today: chainsaw art of an alien egg table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIWyjf4AgQ

That is Awesome.
Why don't you drop it into the Something on YouTube Thread?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby phlip » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:46 am UTC

My favourite is a coworker who sent me a "thanks" email, and then later the next day sent me another "thanks" email because they weren't sure if they forgot to the first time.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
voicedotter
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm UTC
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand, Earth alt universe #596
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby voicedotter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am UTC

addams wrote:
voicedotter wrote:so I saw this today: chainsaw art of an alien egg table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIWyjf4AgQ

That is Awesome.
Why don't you drop it into the Something on YouTube Thread?


There is a Something on youtube thread? Awesome!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

I have something Awesome and not Awesome at the same time.

I may have Water Bear.
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-and-Care-fo ... ater-Bear-)

That should be an Easy Pet.
ok. That's Awesome.

Not Awesome?
I can't tell. Are they really Water Bear?

My naked eye is not good enough to count legs while they swim.
That's not Awesome.

No one in my life would consider it a worth while Waste of Time to see a Water Bear look alike.
That's not Awesome.

It makes me feel a strange kind of Lonely.
There are other human beings.

Most speck my native language.
We live in different Universes.

Them in their skin.
Me in my skin.

That is a stupid thing to think about.
Who's Skin should we be in, if not our Own??

I have a pet.
They are a small flock.

Unlike the Cat;
These guys can't get a Fabulous Gangster BoyFriend and become Wild as Friday Night.

oops.
That's more Whining than Awesome. (shrug)
sorry.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby felltir » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31 pm UTC

I'm going to a conference! :D
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

felltir wrote:I'm going to a circumference! :D

In my semi-bleary state, I spent probably too much time waiting for that to make sense before rereading.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

felltir wrote:I'm going to a conference! :D


Cool! Where to and what in? (I am not out of the loop at all)
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

My new boots have arrived, they are awesome! :D
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:My new boots have arrived, they are awesome! :D

Lucky You.
Photo?

You can move photos and graphics.
What do your boots look like?

Hey! A before and after.
What do your Old Boots look like?

Are they worn?
I learned what I thought was an interesting thing.
Spoiler:
When I was out On Trail more than In Town,
My boots wore out on Top.

When I was more In Town than On Trail,
My boots wore out on Bottom.

I have seen this Twice.
Once with Huge's Moccasins and Once with my Boots.

One section of my life, I was out on Lava, a lot.
That wore my Boots both top and bottom.


I like Boots.
Spoiler:
I need new Boots.

Every Boot wears out, I suppose.
I don't want new Boots.

I like my Boots.
The internet has Boots like mine, maybe.

Do you have Boots like mine?

Child like not Childish.
A Temper Tantrum will not change The Facts.

You got new boots!
May I see them?

Are they good?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

Image

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby felltir » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
felltir wrote:I'm going to a conference! :D


Cool! Where to and what in? (I am not out of the loop at all)


Scotland, and Ruby!

(my company are sponsoring it)
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm UTC

Got a telescope at the weekend. A 5 inch newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. Spent the last few nights looking at space stuff. The cloud bands on Jupiter are easily seen, and last night I was able to see some blurry surface detail on Mars. Picked up a slightly higher power eyepiece and some colour filters today and had another gander. Yep, I wasn't imagining it, those dark albedo features are visible. And the image kept getting clearer as Mars rose in the east and moved further away from the city lights of Bristol. So much awesome. Looked it up, and it turns out Earth and Mars are pretty much at their closest approach at the moment, which is why it was so clear. In a couple of months, Saturn will be visible in the evenings, so hoping for a few clear nights in summer.

Once I've had a chance to play around with it some more, I plan to upgrade it with a tracking motor, buy a good quality camera and try my hand at astrophotography. I know a couple of image processing techniques to sharpen and improve the resolution of images.

Edit: obligatory picture.

Image
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Got a telescope at the weekend. A 5 inch newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. Spent the last few nights looking at space stuff. The cloud bands on Jupiter are easily seen, and last night I was able to see some blurry surface detail on Mars. Picked up a slightly higher power eyepiece and some colour filters today and had another gander. Yep, I wasn't imagining it, those dark albedo features are visible. And the image kept getting clearer as Mars rose in the east and moved further away from the city lights of Bristol. So much awesome. Looked it up, and it turns out Earth and Mars are pretty much at their closest approach at the moment, which is why it was so clear. In a couple of months, Saturn will be visible in the evenings, so hoping for a few clear nights in summer.

Once I've had a chance to play around with it some more, I plan to upgrade it with a tracking motor, buy a good quality camera and try my hand at astrophotography. I know a couple of image processing techniques to sharpen and improve the resolution of images.

Edit: obligatory picture.

Image


Jealous...
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31 pm UTC

And it has, in turn, made me jealous of people who have even fatter telescopes. Here I am, less than a week after dropping good money on a shiny new telescope, and I already want to upgrade to an even better one. This one has merely tantalised me with the faint blurry details that would be so much clearer with a bigger scope.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

oh, Sigh...
You have a telescope.

oh, sigh....jelous?
is that the word for it?

A lonely aching is the feeling of jealously?
ok. Good to know.

I see your telescope and would love to share a stary, stary night.
All I have is Hubble.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hubble+ ... =_&imgrc=_
And; Cassini.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cassini ... 80&bih=596

Can you see the Rings of Saturn with your scope?
It is better seeing it as it is, through a scope.

Photos are pretty.
Still. A telescope is better.

If some one must be Happy,
I am pleased it is you.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

A lonely aching... I know them feels bro. But this is the awesome thread, so we have to be awesome here.

In theory, it is not only possible to see the rings of Saturn with my shiny new telescope, but it's possible to see the Cassini Division in those rings. Alas, I have not been able to test this out because Saturn rises quite late at night at the moment and the only clear nights since buying the scope have been weekdays. Today, the forecast is a bit ambiguous with regards to the cloud cover, so there's a chance that if I stay up late, I might be able to see Saturn and its rings.

Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.


The reassurance that it is, in fact, all real and not a government conspiracy?
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:01 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.


The reassurance that it is, in fact, all real and not a government conspiracy?

The night sky can be so beautiful.
It is beautiful here.

This last year I have seen some Sky Stuff with my Naked Eye.
well. almost Naked. I wear corrective lenses.

The New Moon Night on New Years Eve was Amazing.
It was chilly and clear. What an amazing thing to see.

Spoiler:
The sky was full of diamond bright stars.
I like to lay down and look up.

Its easier on my neck and I can't fall over, like an idiot.
After my eyes had adjusted to the lack of light,
I got up and looked around at the Earth.

Not much to see. It was dark.
I was up high above the Ocean.

I walked to the edge.
I wanted to check for White Water.

What I saw was like the cover of some Sci-Fi magazine.

The Jet Velvet Black Sky ended in a softly glowing green sea.
The Sea was glowing. It had been unusually warm and sunny.

The Sea looked more like Oil than Water from where I was.
I good there awestruck.

Thank the Gods there was another human being there.
I asked, "Do you see that?"
He said, "Yes."

Of course, I asked for clarification.
"What do you see?"
He said, "Diatoms glowing in the Sea."

I was satisfied with that.
Still. I asked.

"Do you think it is pretty?"
He said, "Yes."

A telescope here, might be fun.
In the Winter. That is so weird.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Krealr
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Krealr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.


The reassurance that it is, in fact, all real and not a government conspiracy?


But if you don't build the telescope yourself how do you know it's not just a little video screen showing whatever the government wants you to see? :D

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.


The reassurance that it is, in fact, all real and not a government conspiracy?


But if you don't build the telescope yourself how do you know it's not just a little video screen showing whatever the government wants you to see? :D

Because there's nothing to power a video screen.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

speising
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby speising » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Krealr wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Of course, it goes without saying that the images from Hubble put my images to shame. But there's something satisfying about seeing these things through one's own telescope.


The reassurance that it is, in fact, all real and not a government conspiracy?


But if you don't build the telescope yourself how do you know it's not just a little video screen showing whatever the government wants you to see? :D

Because there's nothing to power a video screen.

aw, come on, everyone knows they have teslas broadcast power.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

Just had my first look at Saturn at 90x magnification. Beautiful. Can clearly see the rings, and the gap between the rings and the planet itself. It's still low in the sky and the seeing isn't ideal, but in better conditions, I expect to be able to make out the Cassini Division in the rings. Maybe see Titan as well.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Have you seen Jupiter yet? I've been out of the astronomy game for a while so I don't remember if it's visible this time of year. Being able to make out of the Great Red Spot is pretty cool. Globular clusters and galaxies are other really cool things to look at.

edit: Just checked, you should be able to see Jupiter in the western sky this time of night. If you don't have it already, you should check out http://stellarium.org/ . It's great for quickly checking what you should be able to see on any given night in any given location. Also for figuring out what that weird thing you saw in the sky might be.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 am UTC

I have indeed looked at Jupiter, it's the brightest object in the night sky at the moment, not counting the moon. It also rises quite early in the evenings at the moment, after the sun is down, so it's quite a convenient target for weekdays when one has to worry about getting to bed on time. This evening, all four of the Galilean moons were visible, and I could clearly see the cloud bands. Wasn't able to make out the great red spot though. The other early evening target is Mars, which was in conjunction just this Tuesday, so makes a very bright target at the moment.

Tonight is the first time I've been able to stay up late enough to see Saturn rise. It's the first time in my life I've even seen Saturn and recognised it for what it was. I mean, I'm sure I've seen it before and dismissed it as a brightish star, but this is the first time I've ever taken a proper look at it. And it's magnificent. I'm only slightly saddened that the seeing conditions aren't great at the moment. The moon is almost full and it sits in the sky like a dirty great floodlight, giving the entire sky a bluish tinge. There's some haze in the air, which scatters the moonlight and slightly obscures the planets, and some turbulence in the upper atmosphere distorting the image. I can mitigate the moon glare a bit with a yellow filter though. 90x magnification seems to be the sweet-spot for my telescope at the moment; any more, and it just goes blurry. But it's enough to see the rings very clearly, and it's enough to make me look forward to a clear dark night in the near future when the moon isn't ruining it. Then, with a bit of luck, I'll be able to crank up the magnification and be able to see some detail in the rings.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:44 am UTC

I'm very jealous of you right now. My dad has a big telescope, there's something really awesome about looking up at something with your naked eye and just seeing a bright pinprick of light, then looking in the telescope and seeing that it's actually a complex celestial body with moons and colors and shit.

You also find yourself strangely hating street lights and full moons.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby addams » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have indeed looked at Jupiter, it's the brightest object in the night sky at the moment, not counting the moon. It also rises quite early in the evenings at the moment, after the sun is down, so it's quite a convenient target for weekdays when one has to worry about getting to bed on time. This evening, all four of the Galilean moons were visible, and I could clearly see the cloud bands. Wasn't able to make out the great red spot though. The other early evening target is Mars, which was in conjunction just this Tuesday, so makes a very bright target at the moment.

Tonight is the first time I've been able to stay up late enough to see Saturn rise. It's the first time in my life I've even seen Saturn and recognised it for what it was. I mean, I'm sure I've seen it before and dismissed it as a brightish star, but this is the first time I've ever taken a proper look at it. And it's magnificent. I'm only slightly saddened that the seeing conditions aren't great at the moment. The moon is almost full and it sits in the sky like a dirty great floodlight, giving the entire sky a bluish tinge. There's some haze in the air, which scatters the moonlight and slightly obscures the planets, and some turbulence in the upper atmosphere distorting the image. I can mitigate the moon glare a bit with a yellow filter though. 90x magnification seems to be the sweet-spot for my telescope at the moment; any more, and it just goes blurry. But it's enough to see the rings very clearly, and it's enough to make me look forward to a clear dark night in the near future when the moon isn't ruining it. Then, with a bit of luck, I'll be able to crank up the magnification and be able to see some detail in the rings.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
That was great.

Venus?
It is too late in the year for early morning Star Gazing.
Or; Is it?

The haze tends to drop out of the air after three or so.
The moon will have set, leaving the sky dark and clear.

Of course, you know your own weather patterns.
You may get Tulle Fog or Rain or some other darned thing.

Hey! What about that full Moon?
How well can you see it?
Look for Foot Prints!

You can't stay up late?
How old are you?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests