Solve The Toilet-Brush/Boy Problem

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Heisenberg

Re: Solve The Toilet-Brush/Boy Problem

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Chicostick wrote:Also, Why are there urinals that don't have courtesy walls between them? Is it so hard to have a little wall there so I don't have Mr. McPower-hose splashing all over me? Wearing flip-flops into a bathroom is basically saying goodbye to clean feet. That, and I don't like having Gramps over there staring at my junk.

You're clearly not following the protocol.
http://blag.xkcd.com/2009/09/02/urinal- ... erability/

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:44 am UTC

It would help if you had a layout image of your bathroom, so we know your options. However if it's anything like the bathrooms in my friends' apartments, I can see your problem. Basically, use the deal Ocean showed, but use duct tape to extend a 180 degree shield around the upper aspect and turn it away from the toilet, so you just have to reach your hand into the part facing away from the toilet. There are probably better purchasable options we don't know about, though.

And re: washing hands afterward, that just infects the sink handle. Better to avoid washing your hands completely.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Last edited by Surgery on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:16 am UTC

Splendid wrote:And re: washing hands afterward, that just infects the sink handle. Better to avoid washing your hands completely.

Use proximity sensors.

Cold

Postby Cold » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:39 am UTC

Bah. I read this thread and thought about how incredibly unsanitary I am and how much I don't care about that. But at least I don't worry constantly about germs.
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Thriftweed

Postby Thriftweed » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:In a public toilet I do not want my bare skin touching something other people have shat/peed on, which I cannot then wash easily. Washing my hands is very easy. Since they are the vehicle with which infection of other things would spread, they are the key area to wash.

If this is not a correction, your city's public restrooms put the rest of the world to shame.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Yeah, they probably do. This is the public ones in the railway stations and the like.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

I have a pretty bad-ass immune system, so I'm not too worried.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

icanus

Postby icanus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I have a pretty bad ass-immune system, so I'm not too worried.

seems more appropriate, given the topic.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

It maybe one of my more odd things I do, but I try calculate the optimal angle and position of contact within the toilet bowl to provide the least disturbance to the water, judging by amount splashed, noise made while taking into account the acoustic differences of different toilet bowls. If the angle it too low against the side, it enters the water at too high speed causing splashes; if the angle is too high then you get splashes from the off the solid surface; if it contacts too high above the water you get a similar effect.
Anyway.... just get a cover. Possibly install a UV light in it to kill germs or make a large version of the automatic electric shaver cleaners or possibly something that could generate steam without getting too hot that it would melt it (or get a brush made with more heat resistant plastics).

p.s. I'm getting a lot of random thoughts today, it's weird.

edit: Maybe they need a product that's composed of something recycled that acts kind of like a sponge that would float on the surface of toilet water decreasing splashback.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Chicostick wrote:Also, Why are there urinals that don't have courtesy walls between them? Is it so hard to have a little wall there so I don't have Mr. McPower-hose splashing all over me? Wearing flip-flops into a bathroom is basically saying goodbye to clean feet. That, and I don't like having Gramps over there staring at my junk.

You're clearly not following the protocol.
http://blag.xkcd.com/2009/09/02/urinal- ... erability/

I have been to bars where there were only 2 urinals. In this case, I deem a courtesy wall neccessary. It's no problem having 2 guys pissing in closer proximity with a little wall between them. One of the bars I'm thinking of has this. The other has no courtesy wall, and I've found not everyone follows the protocol (even though I do), which leads to muchos awkwardnesso.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:I have been to bars where there were only 2 urinals. In this case, I deem a courtesy wall neccessary. It's no problem having 2 guys pissing in closer proximity with a little wall between them. One of the bars I'm thinking of has this. The other has no courtesy wall, and I've found not everyone follows the protocol (even though I do), which leads to muchos awkwardnesso.

The bar I went to for Halloween was like this. Two urinals, no divider. It seems though that everyone is best friends in the bathroom, or at least here, so it didn't matter much to the guys there. I got to wait my turn while Fidel Castro walked out of the only stall and at the urinals Lil Wayne was asking a Buzz Lightyear what his favorite songs were.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:31 am UTC

First, Lunboks, I love your avatar and name. Second, if you pee in the water, then pee doesn't get everywhere- that's what it's there for. Third, Meaux made me laugh for far longer than necessary.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Ichapp

Postby Ichapp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Real men pee standing. Hands free. While headbanging.

I think I love you.

Decker wrote:I have a pretty bad-ass immune system, so I'm not too worried.

Problem solved.
Beasts move. Men reflect. Gods make real.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Wash your hands after using the toilet brush.
Pour a little bleach into the receptacle that the brush is stored in.

This is not difficult, people.

Don't worry, you'll get over it if/when you have kids.
Spoiler:
And I sincerely hope that if you do ever want to become a parent that you are able to.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Lunboks wrote:I could clean pretty quick with the shower head, I'm cool with that.

Selectively quoted to answer the question?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Lunboks

Postby Lunboks » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Surgery wrote:The only option may be the sanitizing system used in The Andromeda Strain, where it burns off the top layer of your skin.

With apologies to Crichton, I remembered that one little scene in that novel longer than anything else. Michael Crichton's early stuff, Eaters Of The Dead, The Great Train Robbery, Congo, etc, are freakin' amazing. Tons better than his last few disappointments, State Of Fear, Airframe, Prey aka "Andromeda Strain 2". He was on the downhill; quit right on time.

Well, I was an anti-rubber-glover in the bathroom for the longest time. I could mop with a mop, wipe 'er down with lysol & paper towels, the john was my last and greatest challenge to not using rubber gloves. I think after hearing your, uh, gospel, I'll just buy a pair and see for myself how that expands my horizons.
Mr. Heeryor Lunboks at your service.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Something like this seems like it might solve the problem. The business end is use-and-dispose, and the handle can be stored someplace safe. I know there are a few other brands out there, but 3M seems to have stronger google-fu then the others.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:51 am UTC

Lunboks wrote:He was on the downhill; quit right on time.

When he died from lymphoma you mean? Good place to quit writing, I think.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Something like this seems like it might solve the problem. The business end is use-and-dispose, and the handle can be stored someplace safe. I know there are a few other brands out there, but 3M seems to have stronger google-fu then the others.

Good solution, but it does cost $3,59 for a refill pack[1]. I guess I'd prefer not having an extra thing to remember to pick up at the store every week or two =)

But in the meantime, anything for a clean brush handle!

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Wait... you are genuinely concerned about wee-droplets hitting something that goes in the toilet? You are worried about the brush, which you use to clean the thing you wee in, getting wee on it?

0.o
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

This is just about the most hilarious thread ever. Which may be indicative of my maturity. But yeah.

Chfan wrote:First, Lunboks, I love your avatar and name. ... Third, Meaux made me laugh for far longer than necessary.
+1 on both counts.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 am UTC

I must say, I'm just pretty surprised that in a situation where microscopic pee mist is being ejected in at least a 3-foot radius in all directions, the only surface whose cleanliness people are concerned about is the handle of an infrequently-used toilet brush.

While we're on the topic though, I must rant about the more efficient toilets my parents had installed in their house earlier this year. They seem specifically designed to maximize pee spray, like some kind of twisted perfume atomizer. The first time I used one, I thought "oh god, my pee reeks today". If only that had been so. Instead, I get to smell that every time I use those goddamn toilets, because it's nothing to do with me, it's just the vengeful toilet, and I've found no technique thus far to remedy the situation.

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:44 am UTC

Rippy wrote:While we're on the topic though, I must rant about the more efficient toilets my parents had installed in their house earlier this year. They seem specifically designed to maximize pee spray, like some kind of twisted perfume atomizer. The first time I used one, I thought "oh god, my pee reeks today". If only that had been so. Instead, I get to smell that every time I use those goddamn toilets, because it's nothing to do with me, it's just the vengeful toilet, and I've found no technique thus far to remedy the situation.

Pee in a bucket? =D When I was younger we just to go camping in tents, and we always had an emergency bucket if someone couldn't keep it up. Buckets for the win!
Last edited by Ocean on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Ocean wrote:When I was longer

"younger", you mean? :wink:
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Ocean

Postby Ocean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Ocean wrote:When I was longer

"younger", you mean? :wink:

Aww, yeah xD I edited it now. I really should read my posts better when I review them, eh. Thanks :)

Return to “General”