Why am I always tired!?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Hi, I'm really beginning to get frustrated with this issue I have. I'm always tired no matter what. Unless I am doing something very indepth that is effective at distracting me, I'm tired.

I've had this problem probably about 2 years now(maybe more). I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep per night. I'm 18 years old. Sometimes I'm lucky and when I wake up I feel perfectly rested, but by 10am I'm surely tired again and it just continues until about 6 or 7pm when I get indulged in games or whatever which distracts me from it(when I think about it I actually am still tired).

I've also had a constant dull headache for the past month. I've giving blood before about a year ago and they tested me for anemia and I wasn't, so that's not it(unless the test was too basic?). I've also tried taking multivitamins but I didn't really notice any kind of change except for everytime after I took them I sometimes would feel sick at my stomach. I remember one time I felt dizzy though which really sucked and is confusing. I don't take any medicine, even for the dull headache I have(on a daily basis that is.. sometimes I just get tired of it and take a tylenol, but I'm not one to take medicine much.

My diet isn't all that good, but it's not horrible. I eat a lot of junk food, but also vegetables and salads(like where I eat a lot of vegetables) maybe 1 meal every day or 2. Energy drinks will sometimes fix the tiredness for about 2 hours(only about 25% of the time do they have any effect) along with coffee(about 10% chance of any effect here)

I drink caffiene, but not like an extreme amount.. probably 3-5 12oz pops a day. I've also tried completely quitting caffiene for about 2 weeks and that didn't do anything.

Also being able to sleep in and get 10 hours of sleep per day does nothing(I did this all summer)

I don't really have any other medical problems so I really have no idea what is wrong with me.. I'm looking for maybe some ideas as to what could be wrong with me so I know if to go to a doctor or something..

Also, one short term thing that can get rid of my tiredness for about an hour(sometimes 2 or 3) is take a very quick power nap. Like I just lay on my bed and close my eyes. I have dreams but I wake up but I never get up when I wake up(I think cause my mind can't or something) which is weird.. I wake up probably 3 to 5 times and then I wake up a final time and feel completely awake and can't sleep anymore. This all takes place within about a 10 minute period.. This is only really possible if I've been awake for a few hours though.. I usually wake myself up after this 10 minute period, an alarm is hardly ever required. There have been times where I've fallen asleep though for 2 hours doing this and when I wake up from that the rest of my day is ruined because I am extremely extremely groggy though I can't go to sleep until its around night when I usually go to sleep. Also when I wake up from such a long nap I almost always have a bad headache that completely clouds my thoughts.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
Eastwinn
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Shot in the dark.. do you have any problems with depression?
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Eastwinn wrote:Shot in the dark.. do you have any problems with depression?


I'm pretty sure not.. I'm usually quite happy and have a decent amount of confedience and self-esteem.. I'm quite happy with my life atm.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
Eastwinn
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Earlz wrote:I'm pretty sure not.. I'm usually quite happy and have a decent amount of confedience and self-esteem.. I'm quite happy with my life atm.


Okay then. Your tiredness/alertness/betterwordhere is really affected by depression so I thought it was worth a mention. I have no other ideas. I hope you find a solution bud.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

User avatar
Jacque
a member of shro's band
Posts: 870
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Jacque » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 am UTC

Earlz wrote:My diet isn't all that good, but it's not horrible. I eat a lot of junk food, but also vegetables and salads(like where I eat a lot of vegetables) maybe 1 meal every day or 2. Energy drinks will sometimes fix the tiredness for about 2 hours(only about 25% of the time do they have any effect) along with coffee(about 10% chance of any effect here)

I drink caffiene, but not like an extreme amount.. probably 3-5 12oz pops a day. I've also tried completely quitting caffiene for about 2 weeks and that didn't do anything.

Also being able to sleep in and get 10 hours of sleep per day does nothing(I did this all summer)


Stop eating so much junk/sugar. 3-5 12oz sugary drinks a day is a lot, don't fool yourself.

Also, sometimes sleeping too long can lead to a groggy feeling.

User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Gonzo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I second the "cut back on sugar" notion. I'm no expert, but I believe that excessive sugar intake causes a pretty severe energy crash after the initial sugar high wears off. I know it happens when I eat a ton of junk.

Also, how much exercise do you get? Not getting enough can result in low energy.

If cheap forum advice fails to help, I'd recommend visiting a doctor.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby bluebambue » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:03 am UTC

It sounds like you could have a thyroid imbalance. Please note I'm not a doctor, but you have very similar symptoms to my mom (constant tiredness and headaches).

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Josephine » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 am UTC

I know everyone's different, but I drink about that much in sugary drinks, and I've adjusted to it. Neither the caffeine nor sugar affect me much at all. So, that should be taken into account.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
psychosomaticism
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 am UTC

Exercise and Valerian root.

Seriously though, I would third the sugar/caffeine cutback, but then again, you could be adjusted to it. I'd do an experiment in which you limit caffeine to one coffee's worth a day and no soft drinks at all, and see what happens. Could be a nonissue, but it's definitely a variable to be considered.

Also, exercise can be good at getting a decent sleep. Try that.

Finally, try doing a proper sleep schedule, in which you go to bed around a certain hour every night and try not to deviate much from it, and get up roughly the same time in the morning every day. I found that when I got into college and focused more on school than hanging out I had a very regular sleep time, and I was far more awake (this could also be from not being a hormone-addled teenager, I think a lot of people have sleep problems comorbid with puberty).

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:10 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Exercise and Valerian root.

Seriously though, I would third the sugar/caffeine cutback, but then again, you could be adjusted to it. I'd do an experiment in which you limit caffeine to one coffee's worth a day and no soft drinks at all, and see what happens. Could be a nonissue, but it's definitely a variable to be considered.

Also, exercise can be good at getting a decent sleep. Try that.

Finally, try doing a proper sleep schedule, in which you go to bed around a certain hour every night and try not to deviate much from it, and get up roughly the same time in the morning every day. I found that when I got into college and focused more on school than hanging out I had a very regular sleep time, and I was far more awake (this could also be from not being a hormone-addled teenager, I think a lot of people have sleep problems comorbid with puberty).


Well I still acne... and I goto bed at 12 every night and wake up at 7 or 8 depending on the day of the week...


Its not the thyroid thing....

edit: I'm skinny but not losing weight...
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
Chicostick
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 am UTC
Location: The boonies of Maine

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Chicostick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:33 am UTC

Umm I'd probably just do what other people have said already. Cut back on the soda. One soda a day is really all anyone needs, it's not supposed to be a regular drink, it's more of a snack like thing. Try and eat less junk food as well. Something like a banana with peanut butter on it tastes awesome but also gives you a much healthier source of energy.

Also, try working out a bit. Maybe do some light jogging or try some weight training. Weight training is beneficial to everyone, and you'll be surprised at the increase in energy you get. I started only about three months ago and I've already noticed a big difference, I have more energy and tend to be less tired, as well as getting in better shape.

I mean what does your typical day consist of doing? If it is mostly being sedentary with a low amount of physical activity then that's probably part of the problem. Getting an hour of exercise or at least activity a day will help boost your energy, if you haven't been doing that.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:I mean what does your typical day consist of doing? If it is mostly being sedentary with a low amount of physical activity then that's probably part of the problem. Getting an hour of exercise or at least activity a day will help boost your energy, if you haven't been doing that.


Ok... guess Ill try doing some push ups or something every morning then...
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

guale
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:47 am UTC
Location: Central Texas
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby guale » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I'll come in with a simple suggestion, get a new mattress.

User avatar
TheSkyMovesSideways
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:36 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 am UTC

Gonzo wrote:If cheap forum advice fails to help, I'd recommend visiting a doctor.
Gonzo wrote:I'd recommend visiting a doctor.
Gonzo wrote:visiting a doctor
Gonzo wrote:a doctor
Gonzo wrote:doctor
Gonzo wrote:doctor

Yeah, this. The internet is not the best source when it comes to serious medical advice.

Also:
Earlz wrote:probably 3-5 12oz pops a day

Wow. That's, uhhhh... a really unhealthy excess (of sugar more so than caffeine). :shock:
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby EmptySet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:49 am UTC

It could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If exercising and cutting back on the sugar doesn't help, you should probably talk to a doctor. Also, I second the suggestion that a bad mattress could be preventing you getting proper sleep - I've known people who have had headaches and tiredness caused by a dilapidated mattress, so it's definitely worth investigating.

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Ulc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Besides the obvious step that is visiting a doctor, one thing I've always found is that when I get really out of shape I start being constantly tired.

Do some light jogging every second day, some light weightlifting and it might improve quite a bit - I know it does for me.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:Stop eating so much junk/sugar. 3-5 12oz sugary drinks a day is a lot, don't fool yourself.


this --^.

Pop and candy has pretty peculiar effects on your blood sugar. It basically shoots up (making you hyperactive), until the body goes "Oh hey! Look like we've too much sugar floating about, better produce some insulin to take care of that", then your blood sugar plummets and you get tired and moody for a long time.

An example of how powerful this effect is: A retirement home around where I live gives the tenants energy drinks before they go to bed so that they'll have an easier time to get to sleep.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:An example of how powerful this effect is: A retirement home around where I live gives the tenants energy drinks before they go to bed so that they'll have an easier time to get to sleep.


something about that seems inhumane lol..

Guess I'll try not taking in any sugar(as in, 1 pop a day and no candy etc) for a day or two and seeing if that helps.. Aside from possible caffeine headaches, I would be able to notice in a day or two of trying it right? Like your body doesn't really use to sugar does it?
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:An example of how powerful this effect is: A retirement home around where I live gives the tenants energy drinks before they go to bed so that they'll have an easier time to get to sleep.


something about that seems inhumane lol..


They don't force feed them or anything. It's voluntary, and from what I understand, they've had great success with the trial.

Earlz wrote:Guess I'll try not taking in any sugar(as in, 1 pop a day and no candy etc) for a day or two and seeing if that helps.. Aside from possible caffeine headaches, I would be able to notice in a day or two of trying it right? Like your body doesn't really use to sugar does it?


You may experience withdrawal and/or cravings from cutting down on the sugar. Though you can remedy this with eating some fruit (apples are nice). They contain plenty of sugar, but it takes a while to digest since it contains fibers and whatnot, so your body can deal with it in a better way.

It may take a few days to reap the full benefits, but I think you will see improvements pretty much straight away. You'll be able to concentrate better, have a more stable mood, be more energetic, etc.

And since caffeine isn't the villain in this, you may want to resort to good old fashioned black coffee. Though soda usually doesn't really contain all that much caffeine, so I don't think it will that be much of a problem.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kangaroo
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Kangaroo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Do you eat regurarly, how often, and how much each time? I know I'm very cold and tired if I don't get my food at the right time at least 5-6 times a day. I had something similar to this problem earlier, but then I started exercising and eating better - perhaps that will help, at least it'll be healthier for you.

Of Negligible Mass
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:31 pm UTC
Location: Merrie Olde Englande

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Of Negligible Mass » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Could be a sleep disorder? Maybe try filming yourself while you sleep one night (with sound). You'd be amazed the things some people can do in the night and not remember the next morning.

But yeah, doctors are good.
Don't like it?

... Neither did I

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Kangaroo wrote:Do you eat regurarly, how often, and how much each time? I know I'm very cold and tired if I don't get my food at the right time at least 5-6 times a day. I had something similar to this problem earlier, but then I started exercising and eating better - perhaps that will help, at least it'll be healthier for you.


nah I eat pretty regularly.. basically when I'm hungry.. usually something light for breakfast though today I had some scrambled eggs and I felt like crap all morning. Sometimes I skip breakfast though.. (yea I know it's bad but I don't always have time).. I always have lunch at 12 or so. Usually something cheaper and fast.. If not some kinda fast food usually ramen noodles or some other junk food that can be cooked quickly.. sometimes sandwiches also.. My dinner varies a bit from eating at 5:30pm to 8pm and this is where I get actual good food usually. It's completely random as to what I get though..

@sleep disorder
I don't think I have anything like that.. I've never been told I talk in my sleep or anything like that.. though video taping would be interesting just to make sure lol

And I've been drinking some black coffee and such.. I didn't eat nearly as much sugar today and I seemed a bit less tired and such from about 1-5... but now I'm back to my dead state(its 6pm here)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to see a doctor in a week or so if cutting back on sugar and doing a bit of physical activity doesn't help by then.. cause this dull headache and such is really interfering with my job.. I'm a programmer so I'm basically paid to think and since this headache has came around it's made work extremely difficult... I mean there are days I do next to nothing because I simply can't focus on my problem long enough to actually think it out.. I end up like repeating the problem in my head instead of solving it because the headache interrupts my thoughts.. And it's hard to type and read code and such when its hard to focus (your vision) on the screen..
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 am UTC

Earlz wrote:
Kangaroo wrote:Do you eat regurarly, how often, and how much each time? I know I'm very cold and tired if I don't get my food at the right time at least 5-6 times a day. I had something similar to this problem earlier, but then I started exercising and eating better - perhaps that will help, at least it'll be healthier for you.


nah I eat pretty regularly.. basically when I'm hungry.. usually something light for breakfast though today I had some scrambled eggs and I felt like crap all morning. Sometimes I skip breakfast though.. (yea I know it's bad but I don't always have time).. I always have lunch at 12 or so. Usually something cheaper and fast.. If not some kinda fast food usually ramen noodles or some other junk food that can be cooked quickly.. sometimes sandwiches also.. My dinner varies a bit from eating at 5:30pm to 8pm and this is where I get actual good food usually. It's completely random as to what I get though..


Your diet does seem to have major issues. Your energy levels won't last long on what you're eating, so you could either eat better, or eat some sort of (healthy) snack in between meals. Try eating a fruit between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner (to replace where I assume you used to consume your soda?)
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:26 am UTC
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Do you cook at all, or mostly just eat take out/whatever someone feeds you?

Cuz if you are cooking your dinner meal--one thing you could do (that I usually do) is cook extra and bring healthy balanced food for lunch. That way you get up to 2 healthy meals.

Then all you have to do is find an easy way to make breakfast quick. Yogurt/granola and fruit? Even a glass of milk is better than nothing in the morning, but I try really hard to get decent breakfasts.
Rice Puddin.

User avatar
dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:18 am UTC
Location: the darkness

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby dragon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Maybe you just need more sleep? You said 7-8 hours - for me the thought of midnight bedtime and getting up at 7am is shudder-worthy. I would not last long on that. I need about 9 hours of decent sleep per night to be functional on a long-term basis.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:40 am UTC

i dont know much about cooking and still live with my 'rents so yea i eat when im fed cause is cheap. lol. i will maybe go shopping and get some healthy snacls or food and try that cause i usually get snack hungry at about 10 and 3. and i dont think amount of sleep is really that bad but ill try going to sleep at 11 every night and seeing if that will help... well except weekends lol..

so i think ill try doing about everything said here and if that does anything... if not then its doctor time
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 am UTC

I would second the notion of getting heavy exercise in. You may also have sleep apnea, which can prevent you from getting restful sleep no matter how much of it you get. Do you have any breathing issues, or snore?

Also, does your sleepiness have any tie to your attention? Like, are you wakeful in classes that interest you, but drowsy in classes that bore you? I ask because I still can stay awake for 48 hrs at a spell if I'm doing something interesting, but even on 12 hrs sleep and a cup of coffee would start to nod off if stuck in a boring lecture. Sometimes even a mildly entertaining one.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:56 am UTC

A caffeine addiction will really mess up your sleep cycle, and it takes more than 2 weeks to get over it. You might also vary the time; for a while I found it much easier to sleep from 22:00 to 06:00 than 00:00 to 08:00. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be working as well anymore (back to "maybe setting the bed on fire would be enough to keep me from going back to sleep... maybe")
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby elminster » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

tbh, It could just be because I have a high tollerance for caffeine, but, as long as I don't have it late in the day, I find that it has little effect on my sleeping. Then again, I'm a caffeine junky, but no real physical addiction (Going w/o it for 3 weeks seemed to make no difference). Everyone's different though and it will effect energy levels in some way or another.

In general, I find sleeping correct amount of time (both too long and short makes you tired) and at the right time (sleeping wrong times of the day can make you tired) helps a lot (obviously). Although exercise is a very big factor in terms of the amount of energy I have; in particular doing weights rather than running (I do both, but weights have much more effect for me). If you do no exercise at all, it's probably a good place to start. Not only can you build muscle, you get healthier, you're body is able to function better and you'll get a better nights sleep. It really doesn't take much to see a benefit in 2 weeks.

Cutting down on sugar would help. Sugar gives short high bursts of energy, which tails off. You're body will have become used to the higher amounts of sugar leaving you more prone to feeling tired when you don't have any. Although you may feel even more tired, or not like other drinks, it slowly improves over time if you can find something else you like to drink. Also, don't underestimate the amount of sugar and caffeine in carbonated drinks; it very most likely has more than you'd think (35g per can of coke).

Also, make sure you are in taking enough water. Most people don't and lack of water slows down the bodies metabolism, among other things, which reduce energy levels.

I've gotten into the habit of a reasonably healthy diet anyway, but even if I ate unhealthily I can still feel more energised by doing exercise. I don't really see too much difference when eating unhealthily myself except that I won't benefit as much when I do exercise. Obviously it helps to have good diet though.

These I just my personal observations, it's a good idea to go to a doctor and possibly try some things for yourself. You may not like doing some things at first, but you can learn to like them and will positively associate them if you see good results.
Image

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I would second the notion of getting heavy exercise in. You may also have sleep apnea, which can prevent you from getting restful sleep no matter how much of it you get. Do you have any breathing issues, or snore?



I have had dreams where I can't breathe and once when I was a child I stopped breathing in my sleep.. idk if that really counts.. I don't have asthma or anything and I only snore moderately

edit:
in the dreams its not that I can't breatje it's just that I must breathe extremely slowly or it takes great effort to breathe.. I'm not sure if that has a connection to reality though

Also, I drink quite a bit of water.. or well, whatever is at hand.. basically if there is something by me to drink, it's gone quite quickly. idk it's weird like a habit or something.. it doesn't matter if its tea or pop or water or whatever.. If I know there is something to drink without me having to put in any effort, I drink it.. I guess I should just put more water beside me than pop then lol
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:Also, I drink quite a bit of water.. or well, whatever is at hand.. basically if there is something by me to drink, it's gone quite quickly. idk it's weird like a habit or something.. it doesn't matter if its tea or pop or water or whatever.. If I know there is something to drink without me having to put in any effort, I drink it.. I guess I should just put more water beside me than pop then lol


Excessive thirst and tiredness are both symptoms of diabetes, and since that's a pretty serious deal that should not be left untreated, I'll now join the chorus saying "go see a doctor".
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Less sugar. Always less sugar. More water: More normal clean fresh water. Exercise 20minutes a day, exert yourself to get pretty out of breath every time.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Earlz wrote:Also, I drink quite a bit of water.. or well, whatever is at hand.. basically if there is something by me to drink, it's gone quite quickly. idk it's weird like a habit or something.. it doesn't matter if its tea or pop or water or whatever.. If I know there is something to drink without me having to put in any effort, I drink it.. I guess I should just put more water beside me than pop then lol


Excessive thirst and tiredness are both symptoms of diabetes, and since that's a pretty serious deal that should not be left untreated, I'll now join the chorus saying "go see a doctor".


yea I know.. but I mean it's not that I'm thirsty.. I just drink.. lol
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Earlz wrote:Also, I drink quite a bit of water.. or well, whatever is at hand.. basically if there is something by me to drink, it's gone quite quickly. idk it's weird like a habit or something.. it doesn't matter if its tea or pop or water or whatever.. If I know there is something to drink without me having to put in any effort, I drink it.. I guess I should just put more water beside me than pop then lol


Excessive thirst and tiredness are both symptoms of diabetes, and since that's a pretty serious deal that should not be left untreated, I'll now join the chorus saying "go see a doctor".


yea I know.. but I mean it's not that I'm thirsty.. I just drink.. lol


But still, you really don't want to gamble with these things.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:I have had dreams where I can't breathe and once when I was a child I stopped breathing in my sleep.. idk if that really counts.. I don't have asthma or anything and I only snore moderately


Not exactly a diagnosis of exclusion. Still stands as an avenue you can investigate.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby v1nsai » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:52 am UTC

I've been wanting to try one of these polyphasic sleep schedules for a while now.

There are blogs kept by people who have tried them and their experiences all over the internets, just google the names. I'd like to try everyman and step down to uberman. It seems like there's an adjustment period where your body adjusts to sleeping more efficiently in which you never get enough sleep and feel horrible for about a week, followed by increased energy, feeling alert and happy when you wake up and having a LOT more time on your hands. Seems really traumatic on the body though, I just can't imagine that it's very healthy long term.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:59 am UTC

v1nsai wrote:I've been wanting to try one of these polyphasic sleep schedules for a while now.

There are blogs kept by people who have tried them and their experiences all over the internets, just google the names. I'd like to try everyman and step down to uberman. It seems like there's an adjustment period where your body adjusts to sleeping more efficiently in which you never get enough sleep and feel horrible for about a week, followed by increased energy, feeling alert and happy when you wake up and having a LOT more time on your hands. Seems really traumatic on the body though, I just can't imagine that it's very healthy long term.


Nice thread hijack. I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've heard, it doesn't work very well. There's plenty of blogs from people attempting it, but almost all of them end after a few weeks with the conclusion that it just didn't work out very well.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Chicostick
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 am UTC
Location: The boonies of Maine

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Chicostick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Uberman sleep schedule and other such things are terrible terrible ideas. I met someone who tried it and managed to succeed. He was a complete wreck. He explained a few things that might change your mind:

-Boredom. Yeah you have more time on your hands, but that time tends to be at odd hours of the night most of the time, and when it's 3am on a Wednesday not many people want to hang out. You soon run out of video games and other things to occupy your time, you just have so much of it.

-You never actually get to a "more alert" stage. You're still tired. It's not a really crippling one and you can function, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can get by on a couple hours of sleep. Your body needs that time to rest and heal, and if you don't give it to it you'll soon wear yourself out.

-Meals lose all definition. Our traditional "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" go out the window, as you don't have a morning time, as you are constantly awake. Food just becomes a random thing to do when you're hungry.

There's more but I don't want to hijack the thread any more.

But.... back to the original problem. You've pretty much got all the options laid out now. Eat better, exercise and all that jazz. If it doesn't seem to help, see a doctor. And if you're really that worried, see one anyway.

User avatar
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am UTC
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby Earlz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 am UTC

v1nsai wrote:I've been wanting to try one of these polyphasic sleep schedules for a while now.

There are blogs kept by people who have tried them and their experiences all over the internets, just google the names. I'd like to try everyman and step down to uberman. It seems like there's an adjustment period where your body adjusts to sleeping more efficiently in which you never get enough sleep and feel horrible for about a week, followed by increased energy, feeling alert and happy when you wake up and having a LOT more time on your hands. Seems really traumatic on the body though, I just can't imagine that it's very healthy long term.


I would bet I could pull such a thing off decently, but really my schedule completely would not work for anything like that.. I would enjoy the extra time(which I really do not have enough of as of late between homework, work, the desire to make a program, and the desire to play fallout 3) but I don't think it sounds good for your body..

On the other hand, the 28 hour day(insert comic link here) thing actually sounds pretty awesome. I think during christmas break I may try to do it for a week or two.. but idk..


yea..on topic.. I'm just going to try some stuff and I'll keep you updated for if things get better or if I just give up and go to a doctor..
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
Image
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

User avatar
modularblues
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 am UTC
Location: Escher's Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Why am I always tired!?

Postby modularblues » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Sodas are bad. Both sugared and diet sodas. The sugared sodas can spike blood sugar levels and throws of the insulin-glucagon balance (i.e. how the body regulates sugar absorption). Diet sodas contain artificial sweeteners that are probably harmful with regular doses in the long run. Studies are inconclusive but I'm not taking chances.

To replenish the calcium depleted from soda consumption, green leafy vegetables are a good source. Milk is surprisingly not as much.

v1nsai wrote:I've been wanting to try one of these polyphasic sleep schedules for a while now.

There are blogs kept by people who have tried them and their experiences all over the internets, just google the names. I'd like to try everyman and step down to uberman. It seems like there's an adjustment period where your body adjusts to sleeping more efficiently in which you never get enough sleep and feel horrible for about a week, followed by increased energy, feeling alert and happy when you wake up and having a LOT more time on your hands. Seems really traumatic on the body though, I just can't imagine that it's very healthy long term.

Unless you're Da Vinci or Thomas Edison, it probably won't work very well :-P
Last edited by modularblues on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests