I've never before seen so potent an explanation of copyright

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ERTW

I've never before seen so potent an explanation of copyright

Postby ERTW » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:59 am UTC

Kas

Postby Kas » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:23 am UTC

That was amazing.
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."
-Nietzsche

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:03 am UTC

I guess it's a good thing no one uses floppies anymore hey?
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:40 am UTC

That's so similar to the drug issue.

I mean back in those days they tried to stop piracy (and not even people selling illegaly copied games, but people just making copies for themselves) and failed. What has it done to the gaming industry? Still thriving I see. Now the punishments keep on getting bigger, but it's not helping, people are still copying software. I see this same pattern in drug use. People smoking weed get harsher and harsher punishments, but the use is climbing. It's out of control.

Moral issues aside, It's just not working.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:32 am UTC

I don't know if I'm just really strange, but in parts, I swear he sounded like Sexual Harrassment Panda from South Park.

And was I the only one sitting there at the 8-minute mark going "DO IT! COPY THAT DAMN FLOPPY!"?

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:59 am UTC

I gave up after 3 minutes. Only so much propaganda rapping I can take in one day.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:06 am UTC

I survived to 1:10. Hell, I lasted longer on N...

...though anyone who actually watched "Don't Copy That Floppy" would deserve to be pointed to this new meme in the making, I'm not going to be that cruel.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:47 am UTC

That was gosh darn amusing

I love how the exutives were like "we need a HIP angle ... bring in a black man rapping, kids love that!"
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:06 am UTC

Air Gear wrote:I survived to 1:10. Hell, I lasted longer on N...

...though anyone who actually watched "Don't Copy That Floppy" would deserve to be pointed to this new meme in the making, I'm not going to be that cruel.
By new meme, I assume you're talking as if it was still '98?

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:41 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:
Air Gear wrote:I survived to 1:10. Hell, I lasted longer on N...

By new meme, I assume you're talking as if it was still '98?

No, I'm saying there's another meme that I'm not going to point you all towards, though those who lasted through the entirety of "Don't Copy That Floppy" would more than deserve it. Note that "Don't Copy That Floppy" does NOT, in fact, begin with "N"!

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:14 pm UTC

Oh, I missed the N... part. Nevermind.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:34 am UTC

I'll never break copyright law again!

... Until the next time i break it (soon)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:27 am UTC

Sssh. They have eyes, for watching...

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:39 am UTC

also sh, i mean crap music

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Ushanka

Postby Ushanka » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:10 am UTC

Oh dear god, bad memories, bad memories!

I had to watch this five years ago--five--back when I was in 6th grade and "Basic computer literacy" was a requirement. Five years ago, remember that number.

We were shown this video on a LASERDISC. Five years ago. A rap about floppy-copying, played off a laserdisc, in the age of compact discs and somwhere around the advent of home DVD players. Last I heard, it's still being shown to students. It's like the last 15 years of technological pioneering don't exist!

theY4Kman

Postby theY4Kman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:20 am UTC

Ushanka wrote:Oh dear god, bad memories, bad memories!

I had to watch this five years ago--five--back when I was in 6th grade and "Basic computer literacy" was a requirement. Five years ago, remember that number...

Where do you live? I had to watch it, too XD I lived in tri-state New Jersey, then. We used laserdisc, too.
<3 Rela82me: "I use Windows because I'm too poor for Mac and too stupid for Linux."

Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:52 pm UTC

i watched the whole thing, excluding the credits, and i just want to point something out:

they may have convinced the kids not to copy the floppy, but they're machinations also ended up persuading the kids to skip fourth period in favor of playing a video game.

trade one evil for another?

Corvin

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 pm UTC

With a little extra effort, you can find a free legal open source version of anything. Life is much easier when you go penguin. Oh, and on a different note OH GOD MY EYES ARE BLEEDING BLACK DEMON BILE BURNING WITH FLAMES OF HATRED THAT BITE LIKE A LEVEL 60 KOBOLD FROM THE DWARVISH MINES I WANT TO GOUGE MY FACE OUT AND NEVER EXPERIENCE THAT AGAIN KILL ME NOW!!!!!!!

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:33 pm UTC

WELCOME TO THE END OF THE COMPUTING ERA

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:45 pm UTC

Ephphatha wrote:Sssh. They have eyes, for watching...

As opposed to suing dead/lacking internet access people?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

julisana

Re: I've never before seen so potent an explanation of copyr

Postby julisana » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:59 pm UTC

I remember that. Like...from reality, in elementary/middle school in the early 90s.

I feel old.
A computer is only capable of floating point math and crude malice.

Roses are red, violets are blue....in Soviet Russia, poem writes you!

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:28 pm UTC

Frankeinstein wrote:I mean back in those days they tried to stop piracy (and not even people selling illegaly copied games, but people just making copies for themselves) and failed. What has it done to the gaming industry? Still thriving I see.

That's why the MPAA/RIAA tries to go at the angle of saying all their problems are recent--highlighting P2P networks and broadband connections, e.g. Proof that this has been around for a long time and that it's possible for a given industry to adapt to users' ability to copy media would hurt their claims that problems from copying media are on the user, not the industry. KF
~Kizyr

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:23 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
Ephphatha wrote:Sssh. They have eyes, for watching...

As opposed to suing dead/lacking internet access people?
And 6 year old girls.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Frankeinstein wrote:I mean back in those days they tried to stop piracy (and not even people selling illegaly copied games, but people just making copies for themselves) and failed. What has it done to the gaming industry? Still thriving I see.

That's why the MPAA/RIAA tries to go at the angle of saying all their problems are recent--highlighting P2P networks and broadband connections, e.g. Proof that this has been around for a long time and that it's possible for a given industry to adapt to users' ability to copy media would hurt their claims that problems from copying media are on the user, not the industry. KF

Well it IS true that aquiring a game now requires that almost no one buys it, atleast someone in each social network will buy one, while now I can download a game from friggin france or Canada.
Certainly it is not new, but i still believe that file sharing games is wrong, as there is no good reason for doing so.
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 am UTC

Ushanka wrote:Oh dear god, bad memories, bad memories!

I had to watch this five years ago--five--back when I was in 6th grade and "Basic computer literacy" was a requirement. Five years ago, remember that number.

We were shown this video on a LASERDISC. Five years ago. A rap about floppy-copying, played off a laserdisc, in the age of compact discs and somwhere around the advent of home DVD players. Last I heard, it's still being shown to students. It's like the last 15 years of technological pioneering don't exist!

The Cheat's playin' something on a Laserdisc. Everything is better on Laserdisc. Whatever happened to the Laserdisc? Laserdisc!

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:
Kizyr wrote:

Well it IS true that aquiring a game now requires that almost no one buys it, atleast someone in each social network will buy one, while now I can download a game from friggin france or Canada.
Certainly it is not new, but i still believe that file sharing games is wrong, as there is no good reason for doing so.

I still buy CDs, sometimes CDs that I already downloaded. I don't understand what's wrong with this. Also I think copyright was meant to just get people money from their ideas while they were alive. But I could be wrong (and very very confused) about this. Like most things I guess.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 pm UTC

Oh, and i don't think music is quite the same, because of the nature of music and games. Personally i rarely re play games, and compared to making music, making games is hella expensive. I atleast have not seen that many game makers rolling around in their ferraris on their private islands. But whatev.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:14 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
fjafjan wrote:
Kizyr wrote:

I still buy CDs, sometimes CDs that I already downloaded. I don't understand what's wrong with this. Also I think copyright was meant to just get people money from their ideas while they were alive. But I could be wrong (and very very confused) about this. Like most things I guess.

I do this too. I see file-sharing/bittorrent more like a try-before-you-buy kinda thing than a "I'm gonna fill up my 500 GB hard drive with pirated stuff cuz I can" kinda thing. If I like something, I will support the artist and pick up a copy. If I don't like it, I see no reason in keeping it.

Originally, copyright was intended to promote the arts and such. It gives incentive to creative people to release their works for the public to see/consume/use however it can be used, and not have to worry about others stealing it and selling it as their own.

Then the MAFIAA got involved and perverted it and it all went to shit.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:22 pm UTC

Also I only have about 40 GB for music. and that is still too much. every time I delete 1.5 GB, I download 2 GB !

RootTwo

Postby RootTwo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:53 pm UTC

I love how half of it is just a big advertisement for Neverwinter Nights.

Hippocrass

Postby Hippocrass » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:46 am UTC

Man that was terrible.
I mis when rappers mere less "in your face"
When they rapped about fun things.
Like drugs.

Return to “General”