Adventure Wanted, Advice Needed

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Roc

Adventure Wanted, Advice Needed

Postby Roc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Hi there,

Long time reader of the forums and the comic, but a first time poster here searching for advice.

I've been down recently. Really down, folks. My melancholy stems from the overarching predictability of my life; I am a recent traditional college grad actually making use of my degree, I have a good paying job, a kind girlfriend, and generous parents. M-F I commute an hour to work at 8, get home by 6, game a little, and read a lot. On the weekends I drive ~1 hour to the home of my romantic interest, visit my friends in that area, and generally have a pleasant weekend. We go to museams, discuss politics, watch films, hit bars, talk lit, etc. Monday roles around, I do my ethically rewarding non-profit job, get paid, go home, rinse, and repeat.

I live a pleasant life. Maybe too pleasant, because at the end of the day I am often overcome with chagrin and disapointment. I am young, smart, devilishly handsome, and above all else, stagnant.

The summer after college I flew around the world as part of a government volunteer organization, more out of a thirst for adventure than a desire to do something altruistic. However, altruism was a driving factor and, after deciding that what the group was doing was ironically detrimental to the society we were volunteering in, I promptly returned home. I was largely influenced by the Choices (http://www.xkcd.com/264/) series, and my own desire to help others, to take this adventurous risk. I have some good stories and memories, but the month I was with the organization was not enough to quench my thirst for the unpredictable.

I returned home and, three months later, here I am asking you for advice to get out of this rut I am in. I have some loans from college that I am paying off (~20k), a responsibility to make my family proud (only child), and connections to the area that I need/want to maintain (romance/friendships). Needless to say, I am kind of stuck with the job and can't go far, but I still need to do something before I succumb to the doldrums of repetition.

I figured the adventurous spirit of escapism that this comic often instills in its readers would be enough to help brainstorm some ideas so..help me, XKCD Readers, you're my only hope.

crazyjimbo

Re: Adventure Wanted, Advice Needed

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

It maybe doesn't suit your 'needs' but this summer I took part in the Mongol Rally where my friend and I drove from the UK to Mongolia in an eeny weeny little car. It was an amazing adventure/experience/holiday and not at all as scary as some places make it sound! It was run by a group called The Adventurists: http://www.theadventurists.com/ and they run a number of similar events around the world. They're basically a one stop shop for adventure on a grand scale.

I don't really have any other suggestions I'm afraid, sorry :(

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote: The Adventurists: http://www.theadventurists.com/ and

This group sounds amazing, it got my attention!
It's true, this boring world requires intervention,
Unfortunately, now you've posted the link,
I'm even more distracted from work I think.
It's great they're using their efforts for good,
If I could go back and join you on the last trip, I would.[1]
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:
crazyjimbo wrote: The Adventurists: http://www.theadventurists.com/ and

This group sounds amazing, it got my attention!
It's true, this boring world requires intervention,
Unfortunately, now you've posted the link,
I'm even more distracted from work I think.
It's great they're using their efforts for good,
If I could go back and join you on the last trip, I would.[1]

I don't know why you rhyme and groove,
but I'd like to say that I approve.

Roc

Postby Roc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Funny you mention that. The country I went to was Mongolia.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Roc wrote:Funny you mention that. The country I went to was Mongolia.

Woo coincidence! What sort of work did you do there? I'm not surprised that you might have found yourself doing something detrimental to the society there. I spoke quite a bit to the Christina Noble Foundation and got the impression that a lot of the aid money coming into the country was basically channelled into the rich and corrupt. The Christina Noble Foundation was doing an excellent job though, and I think they're eager for volunteers, especially if you're willing to work over winter since that's when conditions are hardest, and also when the country is least appealing for 'holiday volunteering'.

Roc

Postby Roc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
Roc wrote:Funny you mention that. The country I went to was Mongolia.

Woo coincidence! What sort of work did you do there? I'm not surprised that you might have found yourself doing something detrimental to the society there. I spoke quite a bit to the Christina Noble Foundation and got the impression that a lot of the aid money coming into the country was basically channelled into the rich and corrupt. The Christina Noble Foundation was doing an excellent job though, and I think they're eager for volunteers, especially if you're willing to work over winter since that's when conditions are hardest, and also when the country is least appealing for 'holiday volunteering'.

I will PM you the answer at some point.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:02 am UTC

http://9gag.com/gag/3619/
this should keep you busy for a while

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Adventure Wanted, Alice Needed

How I keep reading this thread title
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Roc

Postby Roc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Adventure Wanted, Alice Needed

How I keep reading this thread title

Meh, I already asked her.

Roc

Postby Roc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:http://9gag.com/gag/3619/

Thanks. This is the kind of thing I may have been looking for. My local friends and I would do similiar things before they all moved away.

One night we made a list of goals and drove to a city:
- Trade something with a stranger (we ended up getting earings for a set of juggling balls)
- Give someone good advice
- Give someone bad advice
- Find a curioso (we found a three inch long slug on the sidewalk)
- Open five doors that are not meant to be opened. Employees only, etc.

I forget the rest. A fantastic time was had though.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Honestly? I recommend getting involved with Scouting. Specifically, an extremely active Troop or (more likely) a good Venture Crew.

Venturing is the co-ed branch of the BSA and is for youth aged 14-21. They do a lo of what the BSA usually calls "high-adventure activities" like whitewater stuff, rock climbing, backpacking, etc. If nothing else, it's a good cause you'd be helping, you'd be active, you'd be doing things regularly, and you wouldn't have to change much of your daily life beyond maybe a weekly meeting for an hour or two (and lots of leaders only go to Crew meetings if the meeting is about something they personally help with) and a couple of weekend events a year. Lots of Crews go and do other things that are a bit more adventurous, too - see Philmont, the Florida Keys Sea Base, and Northern Tier for a start (link).

EDIT: Also, if you're not that into the whole "scouting" thing (and there are plenty who aren't), but still want to do some outdoorsy stuff in an organized way, you could take some Leave No Trace courses... they usually involve a practical test. I think some of the Master Instructor ones go up to a week. If you don't know, LNT is a set of outdoor ethics whereby absolutely everything is exactly in the state you found it in when you leave. "Leave only footprints, take only pictures" is not LNT... footprints change the environment. I've never done, but I know some people who have. It could be fun.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 am UTC

That Mongol Rally thing sounds fantastic. Scary as hell, but fantastic. Of course, I'd want to bring a cool box with me for beer-related reasons. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

rnbguru

Postby rnbguru » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Roc wrote:
rath358 wrote:http://9gag.com/gag/3619/

Thanks. This is the kind of thing I may have been looking for. My local friends and I would do similiar things before they all moved away.

One night we made a list of goals and drove to a city:
- Trade something with a stranger (we ended up getting earings for a set of juggling balls)
- Give someone good advice
- Give someone bad advice
- Find a curioso (we found a three inch long slug on the sidewalk)
- Open five doors that are not meant to be opened. Employees only, etc.

I forget the rest. A fantastic time was had though.

This actually sounds like an awesome idea. While I'm not able to help you (my life is pretty much in the same vein as yours), I hope you don't mind me stealing all the recommendations here haha.

Wright

Postby Wright » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

If you happen to have a licence, Four Wheel Driving can be a good way to feel like you are having an adventure. Its even better with a couple of friends, can be done for a day or over a weekend (as time seems to be a bit of a concern with your job and such). The only ways you are really limited comes in getting hold of a vehicle that is suitable to off-roading, and having areas suitable to this sort of thing nearby (for day trips), or far enough to have a reason to stay out for a night, but not to far that it means almost all of the trip is just getting there, only to have a little bit of fun. In a sense, it is kinda like what crazyjimbo suggested, just a little more practical in terms of time and cost. It also leaves you with the freedom to do as you please, and adapt accordingly.
If you get glitter on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

To expand on the 4x4 thing, Iceland is apparently rather spectacular to go off-roading in. They've got one main road which encircles the island, and anything inside that is practically unpassable in anything but a 4x4. And when the day is over, you can tuck into a wholesome meal of boiled sheep's head at a 5 star Icelandic restaurant. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Return to “General”