Dvorak

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Andy

Dvorak

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 am UTC

There seems to be a higher proportion of dvorak (or maybe vocal dvorak) people on this message board... I'm trying to work out what stereotype matches a person who types in dvorak... and failing.

(typed in dvorak :))

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Postby henre » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:32 am UTC

Dammit, I thought you were referring to the composer. Symphony No. 9 ftw.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm UTC

I prefer qwerty thank you.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 pm UTC

I'd LOVE to switch to Dvorak. I know that, if I do, my typing will end up far faster than it is now. The only problem is the obvious one, that being that I'll lose all the speed I already HAVE. It'd be great if I'd learned that from the BEGINNING, but this way...come on, I'll lose the "1" at the end of my typing speed!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:21 pm UTC

I type decently fast with Qwerty, I don't need to go faster so I'm fine with qwerty.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:03 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I type decently fast with Qwerty, I don't need to go faster so I'm fine with qwerty.

Who says anything about "need"? I'm definitely in the triple digits for qwerty...probably around 150 wpm...technically, I don't NEED to go any faster. However, 200+ would be nice...hell, anyone going for 300?

MrBawn

Postby MrBawn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:42 pm UTC

Since I touch type in QWERTY, I would like to get a Dvorák keyboard and map the keys to QWERTY.

Also, at one of the computer labs at my alma mater, they had macs that could very easily be switched to Dvorák (I'm talking two mouse clicks here), so we used to have Dvorák encrypted discussions on AIM, and then we'd leave them set that way when we were done.

Neat, Firefox 2's spell checker put in the accent on Dvorák.

jerryknight

Postby jerryknight » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:47 pm UTC

As a long time (4 years?) Dvorak typer, I can say with certainty that, for me at least, Dvorak is not about typing faster. People who care about typing fast are usually determined enough to learn how to type fast on any layout. Switching to Dvorak would only slow them down for a few weeks/months, ultimately ending in a catastrophic explosion of frustration, possibly sending a few nice keyboards to their fiery deaths.

Dvorak is about efficiency in typing words in the English language. (I think the layout is twerked for the letter frequencies in US/UK English.) The vowels are on the home row of the left hand so that most words use alternating hands. The most common consonants are in the home row of the right hand and the most common two-letter patterns are arranged to minimize the number of patterns that one finger has to type. These arrangements result in (anecdotally at least) much less deviation from home row and awkward jumping around.

My prime example is the word 'excruciating.' Type it in QWERTY, then go find a Dvorak chart and switch your keyboard layout and type 'excruciating' again. In QWERTY, you have to be careful not to tie square knots in your fingers, but in Dvorak, it rolls off the hands easier than "a sad lass."

For some people, having a keyboard layout that is much more comfortable to use results in typing faster. But speed-freaks don't care about comfort as much as speed, so you could probably give them any layout, even "ABCDEFG..." and they would eventually find a way to type faster than most other people. (I have nothing against speed freaks - I admire their abilities and truly feel bad for them when they get RSI.)

The way I see it, the benefits are:
    - comfortable typing
    - improved geek quotient
    - added layer of security on your computer (assuming you get rid of QWERTY)

Note: If you want, you don't have to remove QWERTY from your brain; there's room for both. My method was, while I was learning Dvorak, to alternate between QWERTY and Dvorak. One day would be QWERTY Day, the next would be Dvorak Day. Now, it takes me a minute or two to get back into QWERTY, but after that, I can type fairly well in it.

EDIT: As far as I know, the Dvorak layout is named for Dr. August Dvorak, an American, so the extra markings found in the name of the composer, Antonín Dvořák, are not used. It is "duh-vor-ack" instead of "duh-vor-zhahck".

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:55 pm UTC

Typewriters were originally ABCDEFG, but secretaries, clerks etc got so fast they were getting faster than the machines could handle; so they had to change to something completely diffrent. thus, qwerty was born.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

jerryknight

Postby jerryknight » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:35 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Typewriters were originally ABCDEFG, but secretaries, clerks etc got so fast they were getting faster than the machines could handle; so they had to change to something completely diffrent. thus, qwerty was born.

A commonly-used, but almost certainly incorrect statement. The problem with the first layouts was jamming caused by adjacent keys being hit consecutively (ie. S and T). Christopher Sholes solved the problem by moving the common two letter patterns far enough apart that the hammers wouldn't jam if the keys were hit consecutively.

The rest is a testament to how powerful legacy is in the advancement of technology.

EDIT: Rereading your post, I meant to say that the argument that QWERTY was designed to slow down typists is incorrect. Typists weren't exactly typing "faster than the machines could handle," since the nasty consecutive two-letter patterns problem could happen even while typing slow.

EDIT 2: Since there's conflicting sources out there, it's possible I'm completely wrong.

Gemini25RB

Postby Gemini25RB » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:43 pm UTC

I've never even heard of dvorak before now. Seems interesting. I might try it sometime (and then give up in frustration ;))

Trying it right now. Boy, is this awkwardly satisfying!
Last edited by Gemini25RB on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The half life of my sigs is too low...must think of a new one...

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 pm UTC

My brain struggles to keep up with my qwerty typing, to increase my speed would just lead to brain melt :S
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 pm UTC

Air Gear wrote:I'd LOVE to switch to Dvorak. I know that, if I do, my typing will end up far faster than it is now. The only problem is the obvious one, that being that I'll lose all the speed I already HAVE. It'd be great if I'd learned that from the BEGINNING, but this way...come on, I'll lose the "1" at the end of my typing speed!

Is it just a 1?

Reminds me of [
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

shine_and_shing

Postby shine_and_shing » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 pm UTC

I think everybody seems to be missing the point of:

It's a more ergonomically correct way to type = lowers injury through repetitive use!

It's the difference between having a little while of slow typing and being able to use your wrists when you're 40.

http://www.dvzine.org Read the zine! It's hilarious and very informative.

All of you who think that white collar workers typing too fast and jamming the typewriters is the reason that qwerty MAKES ZERO SENSE WHATSOEVER definitely NEED to read this.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:51 pm UTC

henre wrote:Dammit, I thought you were referring to the composer. Symphony No. 9 ftw.

Overplayed, uninteresting.

The 8th is much better.

henre

Postby henre » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm UTC

jerryknight wrote:The rest is a testament to how powerful legacy is in the advancement of technology.

Nevermind Scroll Lock. :D

Jerf

Postby Jerf » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm UTC

The problem with the ergonomic theory (and remember I say this as someone who has totally switched) is that it hasn't been proven scientifically. I like things scientifically proven.

Since the other position isn't proven either (QWERTY being better than Dvorak), you're on your own.

It probably helps to have to move around less. IIRC wrist movement is the real carpal tunnel problem, and dvorak will tend to result in far less wrist movement once done correctly. But this hasn't been shown. Probably never will be.

If you are interested in learning Dvorak or even trying it out, I strongly recommend against grabbing a keyboard chart and just "trying" it. Learning the entire layout in one lump is going to be very difficult. Find a typing tutor that will introduce the keyboard to you incrementally; I think I did it over the period of about a week. It's much, much easier to learn one key at a time than the entire thing at once. If you want to type something you haven't learned yet, you can always fall back to the chart. (I set a chart as the background of my desktop and when typing something tried to make sure it was visible.)

The sad thing is that to actually evaluate Dvorak, you have to have already learned it. Hunting and pecking with a keyboard chart will show none of the benefits. Until you can just flow in Dvorak you can't decently compare both.

Jerf

Postby Jerf » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:42 pm UTC

This thread has inspired me to retry something I'd been meaning to do for a while, which is turn my capslock into a backspace. I know some people like to make it "Control", because in some keyboards that key was a Control key, but it's Backspace that sends my hands flying, not Control.

Last time I just mapped Caps Lock to a backspace, but I didn't get into the habit because I left the original backspace alone. This time, I've also mapped the Backspace key to "nothing", so my only backspace is the Caps Lock key.

It's not too bad, but the biggest problem now is that I reach for Backspace and end up hitting Tab, which isn't quite as useless as Caps Lock but is still up there. Given how annoying it is (moving the focus around) when it is accidentally struck, I'm seriously considering moving Tab up to the Backspace key. If I do that, I'll either leave Tab unmapped, or move the back-tick/tilde key down, which I use more often than most people for database programming work.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 pm UTC

Jerf wrote:This thread has inspired me to retry something I'd been meaning to do for a while, which is turn my capslock into a backspace. I know some people like to make it "Control", because in some keyboards that key was a Control key, but it's Backspace that sends my hands flying, not Control.

You know, that's a spectacular idea. After all, my usual typing position at the moment is one where my left hand is exactly where it should be on the home row, but my right hand is more like...

n i p backspace.

So yeah, your idea would help a LOT. It'd give the ability to move my hand back to where it should be or at least something closer to it!

Andy

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:40 am UTC

henre wrote:
jerryknight wrote:The rest is a testament to how powerful legacy is in the advancement of technology.

Incidentally, I use the scroll lock light to indicate whether I'm in dvorak or qwerty :)

I didn't do any formal learning of dvorak. I just switched and wrote out an assignment using it. It took about a week to get to a passable level. I'm probably still at a passable level. One of the problems of learning my way is that my pinkie now naturally hovers over the backspace key, since it is so frequently used :) (and I still screw up the less common letters below the vowels 'qjkx' :))

henre

Postby henre » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:53 am UTC

Andy wrote:Incidentally, I use the scroll lock light to indicate whether I'm in dvorak or qwerty :)

lol @ irony

Charodei

Postby Charodei » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:29 am UTC

For evidence that Dvorak is more efficient, take a look at http://www.klausler.com/pmk.html. He used an evolutionary algorithm to generate keyboard layouts that require less finger motion and are (theoretically) faster. It couldn't come up with anything better than Dvorak. I'd like to try that program with the full keyboard to make a layout that's better for programming in, say, C-style syntax. Having parens, braces, and such placed in more convenient locations would be nice.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:02 am UTC

Jerf wrote:This thread has inspired me to retry something I'd been meaning to do for a while, which is turn my capslock into a backspace. I know some people like to make it "Control", because in some keyboards that key was a Control key, but it's Backspace that sends my hands flying, not Control.

Last time I just mapped Caps Lock to a backspace, but I didn't get into the habit because I left the original backspace alone. This time, I've also mapped the Backspace key to "nothing", so my only backspace is the Caps Lock key.

It's not too bad, but the biggest problem now is that I reach for Backspace and end up hitting Tab, which isn't quite as useless as Caps Lock but is still up there. Given how annoying it is (moving the focus around) when it is accidentally struck, I'm seriously considering moving Tab up to the Backspace key. If I do that, I'll either leave Tab unmapped, or move the back-tick/tilde key down, which I use more often than most people for database programming work.

I just posted my thoughts on Dvorak in the "I'm so nerdy that I" thread, so I won't repeat them here, I'll just say that I did the ctrl - caps switch thing and find it fantastic.

You don't bump caps by accident (though I often hit the wrong key by accident because I switch between computers with the switch and without), and control is very handy.

Then again, I'm an emacs person, so I use ctrl incessently. ;-)

(I'd love to get one of the Sun keyboards with the control and caps keys in the correct locations, but they also seem to have the backspace key spilt in half, the LEFT half backspace, and the right half `/~, so whenever you go for backspace you end up getting a backtick. Totally destroys the keyboard. Unless you're in emacs and remap ` to delete-backwards-char. :-p I also think that IBM's insistence on putting the Fn key as the lower left key, so you hit it when going for control, is really dumb. Which is a shame because otherwise their laptop keyboards are fantastic.)

arecanut0

Postby arecanut0 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:52 pm UTC

Sure, all that research into ergonomics is nice, but ultimately it boils down to the fact that I -myself- find Dvorak to be a lot more comfortable, especially in situations requiring lots of speedy typing (such as MUDs *innocent whistle*). I know many Dvorak users say the same. Sure, the very slightly extra speed boost is nice, but I agree that speed alone really isn't a good enough reason to switch entirely. The main reason I stuck with it was because of the comfort.

We have bunch of Suns in our computer lab, and I'd always dash for those machines of glorious purple. The only issue is that when I get back to use my own computer, I'd keep hitting caps lock when I meant to hit Ctrl (yes, I should really think about remapping). Being a VI/vim user (boo emacs =p), they also have a pretty convenient location for the Esc key, although, being used to "normal" keyboards, I'd always miss it as well.
"To me, love is a game... like Starcraft." -on some Korean drama/soap

drgold

Postby drgold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:13 am UTC

was I the only person here who originally thought people were referring to the game?

http://www.dvorakgame.co.uk/
http://www.twonewthings.com : a webcomic of secrets and lies, and a few true stories

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:32 am UTC

henre wrote:Dammit, I thought you were referring to the composer. Symphony No. 9 ftw.

NO, SYMPHONY NO. 8, NOT NO. 9!

OK, that's just 'cause I've played the No. 8 and not the No. 9. Once I was in an orchestra (that had previously played No. 8.) and we were having auditions. We did auditions right in our sections in the middle of rehearsal in front of the rest of the orchestra. I had been rocking out on bass clarinet for the first hour of the rehearsal when he called for woodwind auditions. So I had to get out my A clarinet and play the audition without any warm-up on it. I played like complete crap.

And there was a girl sitting behind me that was really a lot better than me, but she joined the orchestra later and this was the first audition since then. And she played very well and passed me, as she should have. She had been in this other orchestra with one of my oboist friends, and they had played Dvořák 9 and apparently she'd made a small mistake in the concert. So in this audition she also made a small mistake, and when she did, this oboist played the Dvořák part she'd made a small mistake on really quiet, and I found out about that later from one of the other oboists. Total woodwind drama!

I never much cared for Qwerty's music (sometimes I get the feeling he's being difficult just to be difficult), but I find his keyboard layout sufficient. Azerty is right out.

Holy crap I think I left my Dvořák 8 CD in Illinois before moving to California and didn't notice until now. That is sad.

ReptilianSamurai

Postby ReptilianSamurai » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 am UTC

henre wrote:

Seriously WHAT DOES SCROLL LOCK DO???

I'm a friggin computer science major and *I* don't know what it's for!

(The only thing I noticed is it alters the behavior of Excel when arrowing - instead of moving between cells it scrolls the spreadsheet.)

BTW - Dvorak FTW!

For those at school or work on computers with access restrictions - try http://clabs.org/dvorak.htm to switch to dvorak without needing admin privileges.

ReptilianSamurai

Postby ReptilianSamurai » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:47 am UTC

That's a great idea... caps lock is a nuisance when you accidentally hit it and backspace is used all the time and makes you either REALLY stretch your pinky or move your hand off home row.

How do you remap specific keys, btw? In Windows and in Linux (I use both).

ReptilianSamurai

Postby ReptilianSamurai » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:52 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I also think that IBM's insistence on putting the Fn key as the lower left key, so you hit it when going for control, is really dumb. Which is a shame because otherwise their laptop keyboards are fantastic.)

I just got a Thinkpad. Overall the keyboard feels great... but that aggravates me to no end! CTRL should be left most key! ARG! Also... I actually prefer del and Home - End keys along the right side, where they are easy to reach. (Like they are on my older Compaq laptop)

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:15 am UTC

ReptilianSamurai wrote:
henre wrote:

Seriously WHAT DOES SCROLL LOCK DO???

I'm a friggin computer science major and *I* don't know what it's for!

(The only thing I noticed is it alters the behavior of Excel when arrowing - instead of moving between cells it scrolls the spreadsheet.)

BTW - Dvorak FTW!

For those at school or work on computers with access restrictions - try http://clabs.org/dvorak.htm to switch to dvorak without needing admin privileges.

That's pretty much what it does, dead useful if you don't have a mouse.

Lets see, issues. I'd like the iea of a dvorak, but I don't touch type. Currently for instance, I'm looking at the keyboard and using my index, fore and ring for typing and occasionally using the pinky on my left hand for the shift key. As for the backspace, my right hand dangles over the keyboard from a great height (it would seem I'm using my trackball mouse as an armrest to create this effect) so my hand can pivot to extraneous keys very easily. Either way, the real issue is that dvorak would surely screw over vi keys, though I assume vi has a clever way of compensating for that.

As for switching keys, I always just remove the caps lock. I have no problem with where backpace is, but caps lock can jst suck it. That said, on occasion I would enjoy a full keyboard, this laptop layout one is great for reaching keys, but I keep hitting keys accidentally.

In conclusion, I need a das keyboard
Heaven is for the hedonist

ReptilianSamurai

Postby ReptilianSamurai » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am UTC

shadebug wrote:Lets see, issues. I'd like the iea of a dvorak, but I don't touch type. Currently for instance, I'm looking at the keyboard and using my index, fore and ring for typing and occasionally using the pinky on my left hand for the shift key. As for the backspace, my right hand dangles over the keyboard from a great height (it would seem I'm using my trackball mouse as an armrest to create this effect) so my hand can pivot to extraneous keys very easily.

I didn't touch type either - learning dvorak is the perfect way to train yourself to touch type. In fact, when I need to type qwerty I just take my hands off the home row and can sometimes regress into it. ;-) Dvorak is not only more comfortable, it's made me a better typist.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:31 am UTC

miles01110 wrote:

Overplayed, uninteresting.

The 8th is much better.

9 owns 8. but his cello concerto owns them both.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Jerf

Postby Jerf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Update: I've kept my backspace -> caps lock key switch, and my backspace key remains completely unmapped. It's now as useless as "pause" to me. (I just haven't found anything to put there.)

Doing the switch in Linux was a bit of a pain due to the fact that no matter what repeat settings your keyboard has, the Caps Lock key is (correctly) configured to ignore them. I ended up needing two things. First, a .xmodmap file:

Code: Select all

remove Lock    = Caps_Lock
keycode 0x16 =  NoSymbol        Terminate_Server
keycode 0x42 =  BackSpace
which can really live anywhere you want, though mine is named ~/.xmodmap-localhost.

Then, I have a script that runs at startup:

Code: Select all

cd ~
xmodmap .xmodmap-localhost
xset r 66
IIRC, there was no way in an xmodmap file to specify the repeat, so you need the xset to do that. (The cd is because this script isn't in my home directory; you don't really need it at all, you just need to point xmodmap at your file.

Obviously, as I'm still going 6 months later, I like it and don't intend to switch back.

Observation: It was way easier to learn one key switch than it was to learn the full Dvorak layout. No duh, right? It makes me wonder about the feasibility of learning Dvorak by switching one pair of keys every few days and migrating to Dvorak. The downside is that you'd probably lose QWERTY more or less entirely (or so I speculate), but the upside is that I think you'd get to Dvorak without ever having the two weeks of "I can't type anything! I give up!" problem.[/code]

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

No love for the Slavonic Dances?

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Dvorak is among the first things I'd do if everyone else started doing it simultaneously. (IE, I don't want to be left helpless when I'm using someone else's computer, and vice versa for other people on my would-be dvorak comp.)

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

I like qwerty and stravinsky, myself.

Benevolent Lion

Postby Benevolent Lion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 am UTC

I think i screwed up my keyboard re-arranging the keys to fit the format... So now I'm using a very crappy ps2 usb keyboard...

uhh, littele help here?

(note: this keboard sucks so much, i keep missing the backspace...) :( and the shift key is stuck...

I miss my old keyboard...
Oohhh, Sexy girlfriend!

Kin

Postby Kin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Hmm...Out of curiosity, what does Dvorák keyboard have to do with lovely Slavonic Dances?

I may switch the Dvorák since this computer is very icky. (Marker)

Only, though, if it's more comfortable- That's my only issue.

And I was wondering, does anyone have recommendations for a Dvorák typing tutor? I'd like to start off right unlike qwerty where I've become prolifice in completely "wrong" typing although I can manage 130 (I'd say rather good for a non frequent typer. I'm not much of a typer)

Note: Firefox can't make the leap from dvorak to Dvorák, or even "Dvorak" if it existed. That's disappointing, my friend. Image (Sweet, I found a cool image to end my posts with with Smileys Extra)

lewis1350

Postby lewis1350 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:40 am UTC

TypeFaster! http://typefaster.sf.net
It's a typing tutor and you can download Dvorak for it. It's how I'm currently learning Dvorak, and it shows the layout so it's okay if you are using a QWERTY keyboard.
Edit: Wow, I didn't even realize that the poster above me asked for a typing tutor. I just wanted to mention it. ^_^

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:13 am UTC

I tried to switch to Dvorak...but my computer won't let me. It says Windows cannot properly load the united states dvorak keyboard layout.

=/
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

Return to “General”