Myers-Briggs Psychological Testing

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

What does the Myers-Briggs typology label you as?

ISTJ
4%
ISFJ
1%
IFNJ
6%
INTJ
34%
ISTP
3%
ISFP
1%
INFP
7%
INTP
27%
ESTP
1%
ESFP
1%
ENFP
4%
ENTP
4%
ESTJ
0%
ESFJ
No votes
ENFJ
2%
ENTJ
4%

Total votes : 516

Re: Myers-Briggs Psychological Testing

Postby farnsworth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:00 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Thinkers reason with their minds. Feelers reason with their hearts.
I use mine to pump blood. How about, if you want to show us how much of a reasonable, thinking person you are, you express this in terms that make sense?

Don't bash metaphor.
farnsworth

Postby omgryebread » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:29 am UTC

farnsworth wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Thinkers reason with their minds. Feelers reason with their hearts.
I use mine to pump blood. How about, if you want to show us how much of a reasonable, thinking person you are, you express this in terms that make sense?

Don't bash metaphor.
It's a poor metaphor, especially in this case. How exactly, as an INFP, do I "reason with my heart?" In what way is my reasoning different from anyone else? All the metaphor says is I do it differently, it doesn't provide any information on how it's different.

Oh, I also, despite being a Feeler, greatly enjoy all the XKCD comics, and I've understood every single one that has to do with physics. I laughed for several minutes at 485: Depth, because Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos is what got me interested in theoretical physics, which I still try to keep up on.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
omgryebread

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

Fine, I didn't want to have to spell all of this out. In Please Understand Me II, Keirsey basically said Guardians and Rationals are opposites because NTs want to challenge norms and traditions, analyze what the best course of action would be and then follow it, whether it is the accepted way or not, and SJs accept these norms and traditions that are widely accepted as the standard moral code everyone should abide by, whether it is logical or not.

To me, this comic is a lot about looking at something that people normally accept and challenging it, or at least looking at it from another angle, if for no other reason just for humor.
Spoiler:
This is not what an SJ is normally drawn to, especially the ESFJs, who stay with the norms and, if forced to make a change, will go based on how they feel about it rather than based on reasoning and logic.

From now on, if I didn't explain it well enough, just blame it on how I'm and IXTJ and haven't mastered communicating with Ns yet.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:... My mom is an ESFJ and I know this website would make her think too hard.

Spoiler:
I find it hard to get her to think at all.
I missed the part of the exam where intelligence had fuck all to do with anything. Perhaps I skimmed that part.
...Never said anything about intelligence, I believe. Just checked, yup, never did.
You would, you could, you did.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby False Solace » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Sweet slithering snakes, INTJ/INTP are in the house....

++INTJ here. For a while I thought I might be INTP because my scores are close, but after browsing one of their forums for a while I just starting feeling really judgy, you know? :D
False Solace

Postby Koyaanisqatsi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:... My mom is an ESFJ and I know this website would make her think too hard.

Spoiler:
I find it hard to get her to think at all.
I missed the part of the exam where intelligence had fuck all to do with anything. Perhaps I skimmed that part.
...Never said anything about intelligence, I believe. Just checked, yup, never did.
You would, you could, you did.

It was implied, anyway.
Koyaanisqatsi

Postby Jave D » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:36 am UTC

I score presently as INFJ (moderately expressed everything), though previously as INTP (super-expressed introvert and ultra-max anti-feely thinker). Mostly this change is due to a cessation of repression of my emotional awareness, an ability and desire to interact with other people more, and of course, quitting drinking and drugs. I'm fairly intelligent and obsessively analytical (when unchecked) so I fancied myself A Thinker; not sure how I feel about this new diagnosis -- I saw INFJs as soft-hearted, soft-minded, effeminate and obnoxious people who always give hugs and work the crowds and basically act like pretentious assholes. Now that (apparently?) I rate as one, I have to say that description... could be true? But I have wariness about this test. Each question is always answerable to me by "Maybe" or "Depending on the situation" or of course by "This is not a true or false question!" and which answer I go with depends on basically random factors like the condition of my bowels and whether one answer would be more wrong than the other, and if so by how much, with always the reminder that this test and its results is ultimately just a few steps up from Astrology signs. No offense to anyone who really likes Astrology, or the MBTI!
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:I score presently as INFJ (moderately expressed everything), though previously as INTP (super-expressed introvert and ultra-max anti-feely thinker). Mostly this change is due to a cessation of repression of my emotional awareness, an ability and desire to interact with other people more, and of course, quitting drinking and drugs. I'm fairly intelligent and obsessively analytical (when unchecked) so I fancied myself A Thinker; not sure how I feel about this new diagnosis -- I saw INFJs as soft-hearted, soft-minded, effeminate and obnoxious people who always give hugs and work the crowds and basically act like pretentious assholes. Now that (apparently?) I rate as one, I have to say that description... could be true? But I have wariness about this test. Each question is always answerable to me by "Maybe" or "Depending on the situation" or of course by "This is not a true or false question!" and which answer I go with depends on basically random factors like the condition of my bowels and whether one answer would be more wrong than the other, and if so by how much, with always the reminder that this test and its results is ultimately just a few steps up from Astrology signs. No offense to anyone who really likes Astrology, or the MBTI!

I always tell people who test differently to read the type descriptions and see if it fits. The test is flawed, but the profiles are creepily accurate.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby wst » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

When I voted on this I was INTP, most recently I got ISTJ. It's worryingly accurate. Especially 'catastrophe mode', I've been there enough that to see it explained by someone else... quite relieving.

I also see it in my Dad, you should see what happens when we both hit catatrophe mode simultaneously (happened when we were trying to moor a boat once, I was on the bank, he was getting confused between the controls back in the cab... in hindsight it was hilarious)
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams
wst

Postby raike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

I got an INTJ - 89% I, 75% N, 88% T, and 22% J. These percentages seem to have become more extreme - last time I took the test, it was something like 60% for I and T, and 30% for N, with J about the same. I find the increase in I to be odd, mostly because I think I've been making more of an effort to be social and talk to people these days the rest of it seems reasonable.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)
raike

Postby Icewedge » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:40 am UTC

I'm an INTP. But I do not trust these tests.
Icewedge

Postby Jave D » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 am UTC

Icewedge wrote:I'm an INTP. But I do not trust these tests.

That's exactly what an INTP would say.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby MichtheDogWalker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:33 am UTC

uhm... ISTJ and the wife is an ENTP, maybe we should label our foreheads, would have saved 30 years of arguments of where to put the sofa.
MichtheDogWalker

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 am UTC

MichtheDogWalker wrote:uhm... ISTJ and the wife is an ENTP, maybe we should label our foreheads, would have saved 30 years of arguments of where to put the sofa.

My best friend is an ENTP and I'm an ISTJ. I know your struggle very well.
UniqueScreenname

Postby arclight » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:
Icewedge wrote:I'm an INTP. But I do not trust these tests.

That's exactly what an INTP would say.

It, like an IQ test, has a place despite its flaws. It's a useful tool but should not be taken too literally, especially for those who did not score quite as strongly.

Spoiler:
INTP
arclight

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

ISTJ ???

67 1 50 22

You are:
distinctively expressed introvert

slightly expressed sensing personality

moderately expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed judging personality

Maybe I should send this to my co-worker and see if there's any correlation between job performance and personality types.

I'm inline with what my profession should be... Spartans... what profession are we? SOLDIERS!!! (nah no soldiers)
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby bluebambue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 am UTC

I'm an INTJ. I'm pretty strong in all of them except J, where I also have a fair bit of P.
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 am UTC

INFJ is mine, which fits pretty closely.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!
Aaeriele

Postby Hyphe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

I did the test and filled out this poll when I first came to these fora, and got IFNJ. I retake it now, and I get EFSJ (which no-one else has picked, but I can't re-answer the poll. Ah well).

Considering the events in my life between these two points in time and the personality changes they precipitated, this makes a lot of sense to me.
Hyphe

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

When I posted my results, I was INTP.
Took the test, now it's saying ENFJ.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

Hmm, many people say that you can't switch between being an N and an S, because it defines the entire way that you think and communicate. I am borderline, and for a while I thought I had switched, but when I read about the sort of things that motivate Ns, I know I'm still an S.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

On every test I've taken I've come up INTP with a 70ish% 50ish% 70ish% 10ish% divide. Likewise every description of INTP has matched me pretty closely.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Necro because despite spending all of my time on this forum, I seem to have great difficulty dealing with NTs. Do any of you have particular difficulties with ISTJs or strong relationships with them that can give me some advice?
UniqueScreenname

Postby philsov » Fri May 17, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

sadly, no. My main problems (as an INTx, like much of the fora) are primarily the F-types and to a smaller extent, E's.

Your problem with NT's is they're too... lofty? theoretical/hypothetical? Any conflict arising from the S/N divide is usually settled with time, where the simulations become something to bite into. All it takes is one side to give the other benefit of the doubt, and then have it pan out well. Once that trust/base is established the S is usually a little more willing to entertain further notions, and the N gives a little more on the update/concrete front. So... minor concessions on both sides work, like most conflicts.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 17, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

This is essentially my problem. I deal a whole lot better with the communication divide than the Tools divide. I think a big problem stems from them viewing me as more...useable? than I would consider a friend.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Adam H » Fri May 17, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

I'm right on the border of S/N (ISTP with very weak S and P) so that dichotomy is honestly kind of lost on me.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby eran_rathan » Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

I'm an xNTP (I/E balanced), and my wife is an ESTJ. Are you having difficulty talking/communicating to said NTs, or just generally 'how do I deal with this type of person'?
Greyarcher:Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery.
JimsMaher:Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots.
HES: Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong.
eran_rathan

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

All of my NT friends have decided they don't want to be my friend anymore, in one way or another. It's truly frustrating.
UniqueScreenname

Postby Zarq » Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Took the test, it said I'm an INTJ. That description is ridiculously close. Like, creepy close.

I think a big problem stems from them viewing me as more...useable? than I would consider a friend.

USN, can you explain more what you mean by this part?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 22, 2013 1:57 am UTC

It's like they find some purpose for me in their life and when that purpose has been filled, I am thrown away like I am something expendable. This is very opposite to the SJ mindset (or at least my mindset) towards people, and it's becoming quite grating.
UniqueScreenname

Postby bluebambue » Wed May 22, 2013 7:02 am UTC

I am an INTJ/P, though none of the descriptions are a perfect fit for me.

I could see myself stopping being friends with someone when they no longer bring benefit to my life. I have a definite tendency to view my life as a series of pluses and minuses. I don't think shifting that perception is something that can be done quickly (and for some, possibly not at all). The biggest shift I've had is learning that someone bringing a consistent presence, ability to talk about life, and good hugs is important to me. Those needs don't go away, so there will always be big pluses to friends who can provide that and I will value those people.

Things that may work
Try to find people who value length of friendship
Try to find people who have greater capacity for empathy and try to direct them to think about how things will affect you if the friendship is terminated (thus giving more plus to staying in the friendship)
Try to find out early on what purpose they want you to fulfill and decide if you want to fulfill it (this is probably too transactional for you to approach something like that)
Tell people explicitly that you don't like it when people stop being friends based on no longer having a purpose for you.

It may just be that you aren't compatible with NTs. That is okay, you can choose to not cultivate friendships with them.
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Previous

Return to General