Towel Day May 25th!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Fri May 25, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

The picture of the 2007 Senior class at my highschool, the one that will show up in the county newspaper, features me with my towel slung over my shoulder.

I was so amused when he didn't ask me to take it off or anything. Too bad I couldn't find my pink floral towel.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

PtS

Postby PtS » Fri May 25, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

Akira wrote:I was so amused when he didn't ask me to take it off or anything. Too bad I couldn't find my pink floral towel.

I had a light pink floral towel round my neck all day in school. I got some - a lot, that is - weird looks from people. P.L.I.N.G who is my classmate forgot it. If you see him anywhere on the forum (maybe in the forum games), would you please put some shame on him?

I got a happy surprise today, though, since another student actually knew about this day and couldn't believe that he had missed it.
My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour.

-Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Fri May 25, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

I walked up to this one guy--another Hitchiker fan--and asked him where his towel was. He gave me this odd look, and I told him that it was the official Towel Day. His eyes widened and he's like... "You're not serious?! How could I miss it?!"

I felt bad for him. Not bad enough to len dhim my towel, but he never gets online ever, so... He didn't know. u_u

Lol. XD
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Fri May 25, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

I went about all day (it's now 9pm and I got not enough sleep last night so I'll be turning in soon (as if I have friends and go out normally)) with my biggest bath towel. It has three stains, one huge brown mark from where I put it in a suitcase next to some shoes which, apparently, where not clean, and two stubborn red liquid latex stains (that stuff just doesn't come off). Unofrtunately I washed it last night so it was damp all day, but it came in very useful in public bathrooms (where's the hand dryer? don't care) as well as being a fantastically convenient pillow for lying down on a metal bench to do some reading while I waited for Pirates of the Carribean. I do, however, fear that people thought I was making a bad joke about getting wet watching a film set almost exclusively on the sea.
Heaven is for the hedonist

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

W00tage! I brought this all around school, and if people asked me I would simply say "Don't panic" or "Looks like I'm a hoopier frood than you" and walk away.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

NathanielK wrote:I was not happy after reading the fifth book. I felt he was saying, "I'll teach my fans to stop bothering me about another Hitchhiker's Guide book. I'll make this book crappy, depressing, and
spoiler wrote:at the end I'll kill off all the characters!
Nobody will ever bug me for a sequel again!"

#5 had the beginning with the Grebulon ship going "click hum". That chapter goes a long way to making up for the depressingness.

The Wikipedia entry for M.H. includes this quote (spoilers, but really, if you haven't read it, what are you doing in this thread? ;-)):
In an interview reprinted in The Salmon of Doubt, Adams expressed dissatisfaction with the "rather bleak" tone of this book, and said that he "would love to end Hitchhiker on a slightly more upbeat note" by writing a sixth installment in the series. He blames personal problems, saying "for all sorts of personal reasons I don't want to go into, I just had a thoroughly miserable year, and I was trying to write a book against that background. And, guess what, it was a rather bleak book!"

Being the fifth book in a trilogy, and with Adams expressing a desire to write a sixth one, it wasn't entirely certain that this was the concluding book in the series until Adams' death (due to a heart attack) on May 11, 2001 seemed to make it so, until The Salmon of Doubt was published posthumously.

[highlight] Although the complete destruction of every version of the Earth in every possible timeline, along with the death of nearly all the regular characters would seem to make a continuation extremely unlikely, Adams had remarked that the afterlife-enhanced state of the regulars merely meant he would not have to waste time at the beginning of the next book gathering them together or explaining what they'd been up to in the intervening period.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

Towel day starts for me! Let's see how it goes in the rain :(

robcro

Postby robcro » Fri May 25, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Towel day is nearly over for me. But it did get me thinking, what is the best way to upgrade my towel that is actually feasible for me. Soaked nutrients would probably just run in the rain, and possibly limit its use's elsewhere. I have always liked the metal wire idea from the 5th in the trilogy. It does seem the most practical. Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by robcro on Fri May 25, 2007 8:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Guys! Whats hey ho backwards?

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Fri May 25, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

I carried my towel around... it was just a hand towel though and I had it in my backpack most of the time. I'm ashamed of myself... couldn't be more ashamed had I even said that one word which is still considered inappropriate. It was some country. Damn! I forgot.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

pete

Postby pete » Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

I thought today was fucking thursday :/

Seriously pissed I missed this. Maybe next year.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Fri May 25, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

pete wrote:I thought today was fucking thursday :/

No, but I know it's having an affair with Tuesday.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

robcro wrote: Anyone have any ideas?

Poke 2 holes in it tha you can weave a pencil through. Sew on a secret pocket to hide stuff. Poke more holes that you can weave headphones through so it plays music when you plg an ipod/cd player into it. Add the wires. Add a batery if you want. Sew on another peice of towel that's the same color/texture and hide a memory stick inside it with all your precious data (might be helpful to include a waterproof lining). Write important things to remember on it (in washable marker). Add very important things to it in perminant marker. Keep safty pins attached in case you need them. Put a sewing needle and thread into a corner that won't poke you. Maybe a button too. Attach a compass to a corner so you know where you are. The possibilities are endless. Or very near so.

Edit: Added one more.
Last edited by Jadestone on Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:
pete wrote:I thought today was fucking thursday :/

No, but I know it's having an affair with Tuesday.

Oh, man! Does Monday know?
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

pete

Postby pete » Fri May 25, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

Hah, forgot where I was posting.

Have a fucking great weekend. Or a great weekend fucking, if you're a dirty dirty person. :wink:

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri May 25, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

hey, all! Happy Towel Day!

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

Upgrade it by buying a second towel and a plastic sheet, smooshing the sheet between the towels and then sewing the whole thing together. Now water proof, more rigid for use in weaponry armor while not losing much of the original use. Requires lots of work.

And no one has asked me yet about it :(

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat May 26, 2007 2:48 am UTC

Jadestone wrote:
robcro wrote: Anyone have any ideas?

Poke 2 holes in it tha you can weave a pencil through. Sew on a secret pocket to hide stuff. Poke more holes that you can weave headphones through so it plays music when you plg an ipod/cd player into it. Add the wires. Add a batery if you want. Sew on another peice of towel that's the same color/texture and hide a memory stick inside it with all your precious data (might be helpful to include a waterproof lining). Write important things to remember on it (in washable marker). Add very important things to it in perminant marker. Keep safty pins attached in case you need them. Put a sewing needle and thread into a corner that won't poke you. Maybe a button too. Attach a compass to a corner so you know where you are. The possibilities are endless. Or very near so.

Edit: Added one more.

Looks like another fan of the Scott eVest

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat May 26, 2007 11:08 am UTC

Heh, well I observed this although the only other person I know who did anything was my brother.

A few people asked about it, some while partially drunk at the party... but yeah, it was kinda cool anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 26, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

I can't believe I forgot about this yesterday.

airtank

Postby airtank » Sat May 26, 2007 2:47 pm UTC

I did not forget! However, I think that my towel-carrying went pretty much unnoticed, since I'm staying on Amelia Island in Jacksonville for the weekend and spent a little under half the day at the beach. One interesting interaction, however: We went to Moon River for pizza, and the kid who brought our slices out asked if there was any reason I had brought my towel inside. I coolly told him that it was Towel Day. He nodded, like he knew all along, and said "Well, I'm glad you know where yours is!" Then he winked and walked back into the kitchen.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 26, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

*sigh* My good intentions were entirely forgotten when I was asked to come in to work at seven am. I blearily got up at 5:50, showered, threw some clothes on, stumbled to the T, and then spent the next fourteen hours at work, towelless, only to get home and realise an hour later I'd missed the entire day.

AARGH.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Sat May 26, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

I suspect that the timing of this week's inspirational story arc promoting spontaneous behavior violating social norms is related to towel day.

Doing something weird seems a good way to celebrate towel day, better that just wearing a towel.

http://xkcd.com/c16.html

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 26, 2007 5:53 pm UTC

I wore a towel!
No photos though :( (that I took :P)
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Sat May 26, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:Looks like another fan of the Scott eVest
- RG>

Eh? *follows link* Oh, I've heard about that a bit, but not really.

Took my towel everywhere yesterday, but didn't have much of a chance to wave it around because I was either in the library with my friends (more proof I belong here: The first hour of summer vacaton, and we head off to the library to talk to Pat (a librarien we know) and convince her to give us the next book club book early) or in the movie theater. I did parade it bit while we were walking on the street, though.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

P.L.I.N.G

Postby P.L.I.N.G » Mon May 28, 2007 6:16 am UTC

PtS wrote:I had a light pink floral towel round my neck all day in school. I got some - a lot, that is - weird looks from people. P.L.I.N.G who is my classmate forgot it. If you see him anywhere on the forum (maybe in the forum games), would you please put some shame on him?

Okay,okay! I forgot! I already feel terrible about it so would you please stop pointing it out!

Well, after seeing how much people stared at PtS i'm actually quite happy I forgot
"Before you judge a man , walk a mile in his shoes.
Therefore, when you judge him, you are a mile away from him and have his shoes"

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Re: Towel Day May 25th!

Postby Sandry » Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Bump!

I didn't feel like starting a new thread about how tomorrow is May 25th. Anyone laundering their towel tonight (or pouring alcohol on it) for its appearance in public tomorrow?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun May 25, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I will be making my presence felt at Towel Day 2008. Unsure on how brash I will go, whether to walk around with a general handtowel I use at the gym, or a fullsize bath-towel. I do intend to sing "So long and thanks for all the fish" at high volume at random intervals through the day as well. Now if only I had the electronic thumb-beam...
Oh yeh, and for the occasion, I added the official Towel Day advert banner to this forum account.
I was actually almost afraid I'd missed it when thinking about it sometime at work last week, but on checking Wikipedia I was relieved I had time to prepare.
Last edited by Dobblesworth on Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun May 25, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Oh Man
OH MAN
I'm in- thanks for the reminder.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun May 25, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Oh Man
OH MAN
I'm in- thanks for the reminder.

Same here.

I need to protect myself.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sun May 25, 2008 5:56 am UTC

If I actually go anywhere today, then I'll take my towel along.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun May 25, 2008 7:04 am UTC

I already posted in the picture thread, but yeah, I have a towel.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun May 25, 2008 7:31 am UTC

It's a real shame I'm probably not going out today, the combination of piss-poor weather and the fact that it's Sunday mean I won't go outside and hence very little reason to wear a towel.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Sun May 25, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Crap! I'm not going anywhere tomorrow!

I feel an opportunity is being lost.

micco

Postby micco » Sun May 25, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

I just came from a long walk with my towel. The day is absolutely goreous. I had my first ice cream for this summer. Unfortunately I didn`t see anyone else carrying a towel around.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

I'm off to the pub to order 6 pints of bitter and 4 packets of peanuts (as I did last year), but sadly it is no longer lunchtime. And I won't be able to pay with a fiver.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun May 25, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Huzzah! I remembered!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

I am looking for somewhere to go with a towel.

Maybe the movies, I don't know right now.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sun May 25, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

I brought my towel today! Even though I had a date with someone who'd never read h2g2.

We went to see the telelectroscope (London), and it was not warm, and so I was very glad I had a towel (though a jacket might have been better).
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon May 26, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Aw hell, I went shopping without a towel. What if I needed a toothbrush?

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon May 26, 2008 7:52 am UTC

I sat around in my room revising with a towel. It really was such fun.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Return to “General”