ITT: Donating Blood

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bin

Re: So, I'm donating blood, and I have a question.

Postby Bin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

I've never had trouble donating blood, until the last time. I've had a phlebotomy course, so I know about drawing blood, and I know I have a vanished vein on my right arm (over used in school, it has never come back) which is very, very difficult to draw on, and I told the person drawing my blood this, and that they ought to use my left. They insisted, finally got the vein after several failed attempts, hit a valve, and instead of just pulling out and trying the other arm as suggested, insisted on pumping the needle in and out of my arm while I squeezed the ball. This ended with me getting a giant hematoma which turned a large portion of my elbow navy blue, bleeding all over the chair because they pierced straight through the vein on one of these pumps, and they didn't even get their full bag. Occasionally they are real idiots.....

Oh, and the entire time this was happening, the girl who was drawing on my arm was talking to her friend drawing at the chair next to mine about a party she was throwing later. Professional.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: ITT: Donating Blood

Postby Sungura » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Well I found out what went wrong with mine...apparently they managed to pierce through my tendon on the way to the vein. Lovely. I guess I might try again and hope for a better experience, probably moreso depending on my blood type (I think I'm just A-, but if I'm something more rare I'd be tempted to try again more) but I'd want for sure to go with someone, because it was hard even driving the two miles home.

Anyone know the list of rare blood types? I think AB- is rarest, right? Then B-?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

AB-, then B-, then A-. A- is 7% of the population here, according to the leaflet I got after donating (I'm A-), and wiki says it's 6.3% in the States.

I've donated once, and will probably be lucky to manage it twice a year because of my tendency towards anaemia -- I don't want to risk being turned away for low iron again, because I'm not sure how many times they'll turn you away before refusing you altogether. The woman when I did donate was incredibly irritating, as she was completely convinced I wouldn't pass the iron test to donate, even though I told her I'd had blood tests twice in the last 6 months that put me well in the normal range. After seeing my blood sink like a stone (which was nice, since the first time I tried to donate, it didn't move at all...), she said she had thought I must be anaemic because I'm so pale. Which is always nice to hear. It was kind of more frustrating because she was so nice about it...

My boyfriend can't donate blood because he received transfusions when he was born. It makes me want to donate even more, because I know it saved his life, and he would be donating as much as possible if he could.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Huh, I didn't realize A- was that rare. I am pretty sure I am -, and I seem to recall that my brother is whatever I am not, and the way to remember is my name is Amy so I was A, and his name starts with a B and he was B, but maybe it was flipped from that. I asked them what I was, they said they will send a card and it will have it on there.

One thing that would be great I think is to streamline the process. No way should I have to wait almost two hours (I had a 2:45 appointment, they finally started to process me at 4:30, started drawing at about 4:50, I was done by 5:00, and it was 5:30 before I got out of there), especially when I had an appointment, to donate. I think that turns a lot of people off. It's like, "yeah, sure, I'll donate. Wait, you need me to take 3 hours off of work in total to do this? heck no". Maybe the UK is different, but I've never heard of employers here offering any sort of incentive, so you punch out and loose 3 hours worth of pay. Also, that's just a long time. I understand that new people need the screening and all the questions and such, but with people who have donated at least once, you'd think there would be some sort of system where they could just ask, "Has anything changed?" and if not just sign the form and be done with it. Sign the form, get poked, then get drained. Should take 30 minutes tops or so, do it on a lunch hour. I think more people would donate if it ran easy like that.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:20 am UTC

Yeah, I think it's pretty standard here that blood-donating time counts as on-the-job time, for salaried jobs at least. At least, I know it's the case for my job, and I'm told it's pretty common by one of my coworkers (who's been in more jobs than I have).

I can see why they'd want to be more specific than just "has anything changed?" though... by making people go through the list of questions every time, it's more likely to jog your memory about something... a lot can happen in 3 months, and you could easily forget that time you took some Panadol for that headache last month unless you see the question there that says "have you taken any medication at all since last time" and are reminded.

2 hours in the waiting room sounds pretty extreme, though. I usually only spend about 15 minutes waiting, 30 tops... that sounds like the sort of thing that would vary wildly from one blood bank to another, though. About an hour for processing/setup/bloodletting/recovery sounds pretty right.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Secateurs

Re: So, I'm donating blood, and I have a question.

Postby Secateurs » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:40 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:I'd suggest you come here to donate, since they're open on weekends, but...well, we don't serve your kind here. Payback for the whole convict thing, y'see.
So, I just read the eligibility criteria - I'd assumed that I was fine because I don't have any tattoos/not pregnant/am the legal age, but it turns out that I need to put on a couple of kilos before I can donate. Damn metabolism.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 am UTC

phlip wrote:Yeah, I think it's pretty standard here that blood-donating time counts as on-the-job time, for salaried jobs at least. At least, I know it's the case for my job, and I'm told it's pretty common by one of my coworkers (who's been in more jobs than I have).

At my last job, where the employer really pushed donating blood, not only did salaried people get paid for the time spent giving blood but also the people getting paid by the hour. Of course, this was a job where if you worked at the company long enough, you wouldn't be able to give blood anymore, since travel is also one of the things that can make you ineligible to donate blood and my old job usually involved foreign travel if you worked there long enough. Spending some time in Central America is what made me donate my last pint of the red stuff. Before then though, I had tried to donate pretty often.

Oddest thing about my donating blood. My donation card said I was A+. I'm actually O+ so whenever I did donate blood, I hoped that the error was merely on the card and didn't lead to any hemolytic reactions to anyone who received my blood.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:Oddest thing about my donating blood. My donation card said I was A+. I'm actually O+ so whenever I did donate blood, I hoped that the error was merely on the card and didn't lead to any hemolytic reactions to anyone who received my blood.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have the +/- right at least, that wouldn't have happened. O is universal donor, so the worst that could have happened is they gave your blood to A people but not to anyone else--inefficient, but not dangerous.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 am UTC

Ouch, Sungura - sounds like you had a really bad place for your donation. My usual place, if you have an appointment, you're seen in about 20 minutes at the most, and it's open outside of office hours so I don't have to miss work to go there. I can't believe that they hit a tendon while trying to find a vein - I do venepuncture in my job and that is one of the worst mistakes you can make, especially as tendons are so easy to locate and avoid. Next time, fly over to the UK and see my, I'll do it right.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Haha, thanks Plasma Man. I would much rather have you do it than some random person who doesn't know enough to not do that! Although...who's blood would it be then? Does the UK get to keep it, or do they not accept American blood 'cause we don't accept theirs? I can just see security at the airport trying to bring it home..."That is more than 100mL of fluid, miss" "Oh I know, it's my blood." :shock: DETAINED.

edit: Huh, apparently there is nothing about me not being able to donate there. I guess I could!

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

I have a vague feeling that you have to wait a year (or some length of time, anyway) after being in the States to donate in the UK -- because of West Nile, maybe? I was fine donating a couple of months after I'd been to Egypt, because it wasn't a malaria area, but they did need to check. I should check that, actually, to see if I should really make even more sure to donate again before the summer...

And yea, I went without an appointment...well, I tried to go the evening before I donated, but it was absolutely packed, so I went back the next morning, and pretty sure it only took a half hour or so. Would've been quicker if I'd made an appointment.

When they were looking at the forms for me and I'd ticked the one where I'd lived out of the UK for over 6 months, they had to ask where and then how long, and they seemed a little surprised by my answer of 14 years. Then they needed the time frame, and I saw they just wrote birth - 2004, which probably makes more sense than writing 1990-2004. They were also thrown by my answer to the ethnicity question. They have a list and you just say a number, and she looked over to see what the number corresponds to, because clearly it is not a common answer for them. :P
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

This is a bit late, but here is the list of blood types and who can receive what, as well as the national averages for each blood type. So nationally speaking, AB- is the most uncommon, but O- is the most useful. AB+ is the best bloodtype to have, but it's not very useful for donating as only other AB+ people can use it - however it's not exactly a common type. I am B+.
milk from space is good for you!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:
MiB24601 wrote:Oddest thing about my donating blood. My donation card said I was A+. I'm actually O+ so whenever I did donate blood, I hoped that the error was merely on the card and didn't lead to any hemolytic reactions to anyone who received my blood.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have the +/- right at least, that wouldn't have happened. O is universal donor, so the worst that could have happened is they gave your blood to A people but not to anyone else--inefficient, but not dangerous.

Right. Basically there are three factors - A, B, and +, and it is safe for blood from anyone _without_ one of those factors to donate to anyone with or without, but not for anyone with one to donate to anyone without. O is defined as a lack of both A or B, and - is defined as a lack of +.

So A+ is safe to give to AB+ or A+, O- is safe to give to anyone, O+ is safe to give to AB+/B+/A+/O+, A- is safe for A-/A+/AB-/AB+

Think of it as being like a bitmask - A+ is 101 and O+ is 001. Since 101 & 001 = 001, it is true that for any x where x & 101 = 101, x & 001 = 001. So, since O+ would be safe for someone A+ to accept, it is also safe for anyone who could accept A+ to accept.

silent man

Postby silent man » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

I'd say you should get that corrected tout de suite. I don't know what yours looks like, but mine says 'Accident Aid and Blood Donation Pass'.
Please consider the following scenario:

*MiB24601 is rushed into the ER after an accident*
Doctor: This person needs a blood transfusion immediately!
Nurse: What type?
EMT: His donation card was in his wallet, he needs A+.
Nurse: Righty-O.
EMT: No, A.
Nurse: Whatever. *uncorks a pint of A+ and plugs it in.*
MiB24601's blood: You're not my type! *clots*
MiB24601: GAK!

Philwelch wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have the +/- right at least, that wouldn't have happened. O is universal donor, so the worst that could have happened is they gave your blood to A people but not to anyone else--inefficient, but not dangerous.
You're (partly) wrong.
O- is the universal donor. O+ is only given to another O+ patient, so there's no great sin against efficiency involved. You're right that it isn't immediately dangerous, though.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

There have been a fair number of horror stories in this thread. I've only donated once, but it was easy and quick. The plebotamist knew what he was going, paid attention to what he was doing, and I didn't have to wait. At all. And I didn't even have an appointment (they had a blood donation bus parked with a sign out that they were open for drop-in, and they were, in fact, open and nearly empty). Sungura, you should complain about your experience in a letter, and probably go to another donation center the next time you give you blood.

I'm a fairly small person, and I felt the low blood volume very strongly for the rest of the day and somewhat for the next three or four days, but it wasn't a problem. Just not days to go hiking or exercise like a maniac, or, most relevantly, not days to suddenly jump up from laying down.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have the +/- right at least, that wouldn't have happened. O is universal donor, so the worst that could have happened is they gave your blood to A people but not to anyone else--inefficient, but not dangerous.

Not exactly. While a person with A type blood who received O type blood wouldn't have any antibodies against the blood they received, the O type blood would contain antibodies which would attack the A type red blood cells of the recipient. While the O type blood would be very diluted in the recipients body and hemolysis wouldn't happen to a large degree, it would still occur. This is why type-specific blood is preferred.

silent man wrote:]I'd say you should get that corrected tout de suite. I don't know what yours looks like, but mine says 'Accident Aid and Blood Donation Pass'.

Yeah, I don't carry the card. Not exactly for the scenario you mentioned but it did come to mind. :)
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Think of it as being like a bitmask - A+ is 101 and O+ is 001. Since 101 & 001 = 001, it is true that for any x where x & 101 = 101, x & 001 = 001. So, since O+ would be safe for someone A+ to accept, it is also safe for anyone who could accept A+ to accept.

You win the award for explaining something people don't understand...in terms of something people don't understand.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

cassi — do you own any cast-iron pans? Both my sister & mom tend to be anemic, so what my mother does the week or so before she donates is cooks scrambled eggs for herself using a cast iron frying pan three or four times.
She's usually okay afterwards, although if it's the week after shark week, she sometimes gets turned away.
The pediatrician was the first one to recommend this, when my sister was really anemic as a toddler. Said before trying iron supplements, just make her scrambled eggs in the cast iron most mornings.

As for blood types, I'm definitely something +, because my mom, who I think is A-, had to get the Rhogam shot after I was born/before she had my sister.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

I'm fairly confident they double check the blood types and don't just look at your card to determine whats what. They take a few tubes for testing purposes in addition to the good 'ol bag 'o blood for transfusions.

Hey, what's the difference between a transfusion and an infusion?

Anyway...

It works like this: O to anyone, A to A or AB, B to B or AB, and AB to AB. The PRESENCE of the rhesus factor prevents you from donating to blood types without the rhesus factor (O+ can donate to O+, A+, B+, or AB+, but not O-, A-, B-, or AB-).

If you are O, donate all the time. If you are O-, which is fairly rare, donate ALL the time.
If you are AB-, lucky you, you can receive blood from anyone but can only donate to AB- or AB+.

Plasma Donations are the opposite; AB is the universal plasma donor, and O is the universal recipient.

Incidentally, check this out! I came across this when double checking my facts;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type#Conversion
Apparently they may be able to convert blood types! How neat.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Skraxt

Postby Skraxt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

I have never donated blood, I'm from the other side of the story, the one making withdrawals (okay so it was my doctor, I used it though).

So to all of you that have donated blood, you are quite appreciated by those of us who use it, and every time I get blood I am thankful that people were kind enough to donate it, even if it wasn't directly to me.
"Truth emerges more readily from error than from confusion" -Francis Bacon

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm fairly confident they double check the blood types and don't just look at your card to determine whats what. They take a few tubes for testing purposes in addition to the good 'ol bag 'o blood for transfusions.

Except how did the Red Cross originally determine what blood type to put on my card? I didn't tell them and if I did, I wouldn't have said A+. It seems like the Red Cross ran an antigen test on my blood (which is how blood type is determined), and either had a faulty test kit or screwed up when transcribing the blood type into the records. Either way, it was possible so of my blood got marked incorrectly and like I said, that worried me some. (Not too much though. Chances are, the mistake was merely on the card.)

Izawwlgood wrote:Hey, what's the difference between a transfusion and an infusion?

An infusion refers to any method of transferring liquid into the body. This can be blood, bone marrow, drugs, what have you. A transfusion is specifically administering blood into the circulatory system.

Izawwlgood wrote:Incidentally, check this out! I came across this when double checking my facts;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type#Conversion
Apparently they may be able to convert blood types! How neat.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything about the plasma but it should be helpful for packed cells someday (hopefully, in the near future).

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If you are AB+, lucky you, you can receive blood from anyone but can only donate to AB or AB+.

Fix'd for you.

Here is a chart for all you visual people (in case you are interested - I find that verbal descriptions can get a little confusing)
http://www.cantonmercy.com/images/Compa ... yChart.gif

And here's a game about blood typing! Learn about antigen testing while pretending to save lives!
http://nobelprize.org/educational_games ... ndsteiner/
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:43 am UTC

Shro wrote:http://www.cantonmercy.com/images/CompatibilityChart.gif
Why can't O+ receive O+? The rest of the chart makes sense, but that just sounds wrong...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:30 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Shro wrote:http://www.cantonmercy.com/images/CompatibilityChart.gif
Why can't O+ receive O+? The rest of the chart makes sense, but that just sounds wrong...

Yeah

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:13 am UTC

I've gone 5 times now and basically been nervous and uncomfortable each time. Once they put the needle in, you can still feel it in there, which is a bit disconcerting. Reading a book helps, and it's worth doing anyway.

As for the process in Australia, milkshake plus choice of party pies/sausage rolls/cookies/probably more choices. In Melbourne they aren't open on Saturday and Sunday is extremely crowded, so it's best if you can make a weekday. You generally don't have to wait around long on weekdays at all.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Three pages and no "B(e) positive" jokes? For shame, fora.

Anywho, I try to donate regularly. Being a poor/busy college student, it's nice to have a way to give back without spending a lot of money or time (which I don't have), and they even bring one of those blood donation buses right into the middle of campus every once in a while. (Another nice and also thrifty charity is hair donation; I just sent 10.5" in to Locks of Love to be turned into a wig for a child (most likely one with Alopecia or who is going through chemo). Not as crucial as blood, of course, but it's something.)

As for concerns about needle pain, I've had one bad experience (a new nurse who took a lot of tries to find the vein), but I'd say it was still worth it. After all, the person on the receiving end is probably going through a lot worse...
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Just a hint thought to people that the last post made me think of, maybe it's not true for everyone but it was for me...

If someone is in the middle of donating, and obviously in a lot of pain, do NOT keep repeating with various phrasology ever minute or so, "After all, the person on the receiving end is probably going through a lot worse..." or "Just think you saved 3 lives today!" etc. I wanted to get up, rip the needle out of my arm, and strangle said person. And said person did not get the cue "Thanks for the thought but right now I'd like to not talk". I ended up getting so fed up I said "Just STOP talking, please!" which then said person got an attitude with. :roll: Some of us would rather try and space out than to talk about what is going on so please try to know what the person would prefer - and listen for cues like "I'd rather not talk" to just shut up already.

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:27 am UTC

sorry if this has already been covered, I've skimmed through but don't have time to read the entire thread right now.

Since we are in a blood donation thread, can anyone tell me what the requirements around marijuana users donating blood are? a friend of mine ;) who is not a habitual smoker, but smokes often enough that he would probably fail a drug test on any given day(once or twice a month) would like to donate, but they have left his emails unanswered and the donation centre is a good hours drive from his house, so popping in and asking isn't exactly convenient. Does anyone know if there is a minimum period of time before donation or any risk to potential recipients from trace amounts of THC in the blood?

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Just a hint thought to people that the last post made me think of, maybe it's not true for everyone but it was for me...

If someone is in the middle of donating, and obviously in a lot of pain, do NOT keep repeating with various phrasology ever minute or so, "After all, the person on the receiving end is probably going through a lot worse..." or "Just think you saved 3 lives today!" etc. I wanted to get up, rip the needle out of my arm, and strangle said person. And said person did not get the cue "Thanks for the thought but right now I'd like to not talk". I ended up getting so fed up I said "Just STOP talking, please!" which then said person got an attitude with. :roll: Some of us would rather try and space out than to talk about what is going on so please try to know what the person would prefer - and listen for cues like "I'd rather not talk" to just shut up already.

I think the reason they don't stop talking to you is so you don't pass out. I was also getting really irritable when asked various questions about my life during donating, presumably to keep me conscious.

Sorry to hear you had such a crappy experience. And I thought I had a bad one!
Spoiler:

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Just a hint thought to people that the last post made me think of, maybe it's not true for everyone but it was for me...

That wasn't addressed at you, by the way. It was just for people who were worried about the standard amount of pain that comes with donating (which is almost negligible). IM's right though, they make you talk because spacing out while losing a lot of blood tends to leave you unconscious.

You should probably report that incident. If you responded to a needle through your tendon the way I'd imagine most people would, it should've been obvious that you were in more pain than you should've been. And as Plasma Man said, that really shouldn't be happening. Hopefully the person will at least get a brief talk from their supervisor.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:08 am UTC

Oh I know it wasn't directed at me, no offence was taken, sorry the "that post reminded me of" didn't make it clear it just made me think of that. : ) I didn't think of the fainting part, that's a good point (to be honest, I have never fainted even once). Still, other conversation would be nicer, that was actually conversation instead of just trying to state "feel good facts". It was much nicer talking about rabbits, but person wasn't interested so that didn't work. There's a difference between "oh you raise cute fluffy bunnies tell me more!" and "Think about what you are doing - it's so cool you are saving lives" because I'd rather not think about the current thing, fluffy bunnies are much better! So...knowing that tidbit about fainting, I'd just recommend keeping the conversation on something else other than the current situation. Just MPO.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:33 am UTC

vslayer wrote:sorry if this has already been covered, I've skimmed through but don't have time to read the entire thread right now.

Since we are in a blood donation thread, can anyone tell me what the requirements around marijuana users donating blood are? a friend of mine ;) who is not a habitual smoker, but smokes often enough that he would probably fail a drug test on any given day(once or twice a month) would like to donate, but they have left his emails unanswered and the donation centre is a good hours drive from his house, so popping in and asking isn't exactly convenient. Does anyone know if there is a minimum period of time before donation or any risk to potential recipients from trace amounts of THC in the blood?

You speak for many people, not just your friend.

hidden.ips

Postby hidden.ips » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:51 am UTC

So i've never donated, i'd like to, but i've got poor circulation and boarderline iron levels (something the monthly curse doesn't help with). I know jealousy never got anyone anywhere, but it's SO NOT FAIR that men can go years and years without depleting their iron levels but women must replenish 12 times per year. arg!

Anyways it's a shame cause i've got type O- blood and i'm always complimented on my big beautiful veins. Too bad i'm not into IV drugs. I'm a bit odd as I'm always really fascinated by how the blood leaves my veins and drips into the syringe during routine blood tests, so the blood giving procedure doesn't perturb me in the least.

My sister donated and she's got more iron than me, and it took her months to recover. She was in good shape when she did it but after she'd be keeling over huffing and puffing after running to the bus stop which couldn't be more than 500 m. I do a fair bit of running and i'm worried about what giving blood will do for my performance. I plan on giving at least once in my lifetime... when I can afford to factor in the extra time i'll need to replenish my supply.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 am UTC

vslayer wrote:sorry if this has already been covered, I've skimmed through but don't have time to read the entire thread right now.

I don't know for sure but I don't believe they have a problem with people that smoke drugs; the concern is drugs that are injected which could cause disease.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Ohhhh, yeah. If they're keeping out the MSM's for damn sure they'll keep out the heroin fiends. Mary Jane isn't a risk factor for HIV so they probably don't care about it.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 am UTC

For iron stuff: do you have a cast iron pan? cook in it every day or so for a few days, that helps. Also, supplements maybe?

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Another, much more fun way to get iron is to drink Guinness!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:Another, much more fun way to get iron is to drink Guinness!
My mum and grandmum got told do do this by their midwives after they'd given birth. Apparently drinking at night while breastfeeding was the thing to do as it helped calm the mother down so the milk flows better as well. (I don't know if this advice would still be given these days though)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”