INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 am UTC

piccs are definitely a deadly weapon. i should get around to learning flute one of these days, however.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Tue May 22, 2007 3:46 am UTC

New? Don't use that against me. All your fancy guides told me to do this, so hey. I'm Caity.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 22, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Whatever you say can and will be used against you in the court of law.

Really though, welcome. I hope you enjoy yourself Caity.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Tue May 22, 2007 4:20 am UTC

VTHodge wrote:
warriorness wrote:My sport is ice hockey; I'm a goalie.

Do you make it to many Hurricanes games? My dad and I just picked out our seats for season tickets next year.

No, actually I don't... We (typically my dad, brother, and self) go to about one game per season. I used to watch the games on TV all the time before the lockout but don't so much anymore.

lanicita wrote:Yo! Didn't any of y'all read the first post? We're not doing re-intros!

And of course some mod-who's-not-me didn't add it in red text sometime in the recent past. Don't make silly assumptions like that.

To be fair, it says "you don't have to", and then the following question ("does that mean it's preferred to not?") hasn't been addressed. And reintros seem like the popular thing 'round here. So why not? Sure we get to know the newbies, but it'd sure be good for them to get to know us (and for other regulars to get to know us better!).
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue May 22, 2007 5:12 am UTC

I do not wish to perish! To that end, I'm introducing myself to avoid inducing wrath.

Hi, my name's Scott. You may guess that my screenname is a slight portmanteau of my first and last name. I'm currently a student at the University of Illinois in electrical engineering, but I'm at home (Michigan) for the summer.

Interests include high voltage (I've built a Tesla coil, and I'd do it again!), jazz (especially playing it) and making chainmaille armor - a nice way to keep the hands busy and the voices quiet.

I'm a bit of a Linux fanboy and am working on becoming a proficient C programmer - expect me in the coding forum from time to time.

*eeeh huuhhhh* Any questions?

Anyone?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue May 22, 2007 5:15 am UTC

Wow, um. I kind of have been ignoring the new Intro thread. Oops. :/

Anyway, a few of you probably might know who I am, that being Thefiddler (or Caitlin, if you are comfortable calling my by my name). Resident music whore, indie guru, and "I-know-the-real-origins-of-emo-and-will-debate-it-all-day" queen. Bow to my music knowledge!

...Haha, not really.

I'm 17 years old, 18 in July. I share a birthday with Hugh (GermanSausage), though he is a year older than me. And it comes to him earlier than myself because he lives in Australia, see, and I don't.

I live in Illinois, which is a part of the United States. And that happens to be in North America, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe...

I can sometimes be a sarcastic asshole. I'm on the forums a lot but don't post much anymore. Parts of my life story are strewn throughout the forum; good luck finding it and piecing it together.

Oh, and I'm a camera whore. I like pictures. :D

Uhh... and I've been on here for a while. I am, I believe, no longer a n00b. :D

Yay for introductory posts!

Also, to all the new folks: Welcome.

EDIT: Why the hell did I reintroduce myself? If you really wanted to know about me, you'd go find the old intro thread. XD

Geekner

Postby Geekner » Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 am UTC

Hi, names Matt. I'm a semi-long-time xkcd reader, signed up to respond to the picture pwnage thread. I'll probably lurk otherwise.

I'm very into linux, gaming, and all else geeky.

Truely Bored,
Geekner

Edit:added details.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 am UTC

Reintroductions! great!

Hi all the new people! I'm Matt, from melbourne, 17 years old, turning 18 in october and I'm in the first year of a computer games course at uni. As for music I like piano rock, metal with good melody and songwriting (JT Bruce is awesome, check it out) and some other wierd stuff, like that band gregorian. Check them out.

I mainly hang around the general forum, although I look at other forums, posting in general takes long enough so I don't put much in there. The exception to this is the logic puzzles forum, because I have developed an extreme dislike for mental masochism, far too frustrating to find answers to questions that the posters don't know the answer to themselves.

I used to like maths and be really good at it, but once it got to uni level it started to get less interesting. What I know will be good enough for any programming I come across, and if I see a practical use I'll learn other stuff for graphics and 3d modelling etc. whatever.

I get alot of really wierd ideas, and post some of them here. any hypothetical situation has the ability to multiply repeatedly in my head

say... what if suddenly a hypothetical burst out of my head like that comic? would it be aliens or raptors invading? and where would I run to? would i have a bow with me so i could shoot them? and then we could all hide out in military bunkers and steal the raptors space ships and fly to their home planet... except thats stupid... lets go to... a planet covered in awesome terrains that look cool and support human life while being raptor defensible... and then we could set up the internet again with the backup we took, and broadcast it to the raptors who die from the sheer overwhelming stupidity coming from most parts. heeheehee. oh, and we brought cats, and bioengineer them to have random captions which become their names.

EDIT: posted early to stop myself from continually typing.

I also go slightly nuts after 11 pm if I have had too much sugar and caffeine. I may post pictures of towel day soon also.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 10:21 am UTC

pleased to be reintroducing: me

am approaching 30 in an infinite series of time intervals (each is half the distance of the last so i will get there eventually though). have a degree in physics from yonks ago. now program for a living. live in east anglia, come from wales. am a bit of a beer buff. do not fear raptors due to status as a legume.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 11:30 am UTC

Well, and once again I am surprised that so many of the people that seem quite reasonable are that young...

scowdich wrote:Interests include high voltage (I've built a Tesla coil, and I'd do it again!)

You are the MAN!!! Pics, power rating, arc length please? *old addiction comes back up*

thefiddler wrote:Illinois, which is a part of the United States

Oh, well that never occurred to me.

thefiddler wrote:I can sometimes be a sarcastic asshole

That might explain the above statement.
Ah, what a nice trait of your character. Sarcasm truly gives your life some "spice"!

@Toeofdoom: Well, wouldn't you be responsible for the invasion of our old planet? You'd better think up a hypothetical raptor destroyer and pop that one into existence.

Oh, and "hi caity!"
The harder you try, the dumber you look

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue May 22, 2007 11:44 am UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:@Toeofdoom: Well, wouldn't you be responsible for the invasion of our old planet? You'd better think up a hypothetical raptor destroyer and pop that one into existence.

oh, I suppose you could say that. But, hypothetically is it really a problem if all those pesky politicians, emos and ignorant types get eaten while we're on our way to a new planet? It's like xkcd island extreme! Only with a few more people, cause we like bring all our friends and family... or those we want to bring. or... hypothetically the raptors could just sit around watching tv?

wait a minute... I already thought up a raptor destroyer:
and then we could set up the internet again with the backup we took, and broadcast it to the raptors who die from the sheer overwhelming stupidity coming from most parts

:P Humans have +25 stupidity aura resistance already which is why we're still (mostly) okay.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Tue May 22, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:I'm 17 years old, 18 in July. I share a birthday with Hugh (GermanSausage), though he is a year older than me. And it comes to him earlier than myself because he lives in Australia, see, and I don't.

What date's that? I'm also 18 in July, on the 6th.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Three things have emerged from the latest bout of intros.

I feel old. (Which is odd at 25)
Hockey is awesome. (I'm a Penguins fan, you'll come to know our wrath in the next 10 years)
Music is great. (Though I fear there are several definitions of "indie")
Even Richard Nixon has got soul.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

Re-Intro!

I'm bookishbunny, or Catalina in RL.
I'm 33 and getting sick of 25-year-olds in these fora saying they feel old. They should just wait until their first 2-day hangover.
I have a wide range of interests, but I also can't concentrate for long on anything, including trying to figure out what to write for my interests. :)
I'm an aspiring actor and I want to move to New York in December (I currently live in SC).
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Tue May 22, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

Radio Free Eurasia wrote:Three things have emerged from the latest bout of intros.

I reckon there should be a rule- no-one under the age of 30 should say they feel old.

Personally, I am 30 and do not feel old in the slightest.

Edit: Crossposted with bookishbunny (that's what happens when you have several websites open at once). Well, at least I know I'm not the only one tired of hearing 20somethings say they feel old.

We're doing re-intros? I posted my intro just before the last thread closed. So really can't be bothered with the re-intro.
Last edited by McLurker on Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:
Radio Free Eurasia wrote:Three things have emerged from the latest bout of intros.

I reckon there should be a rule- no-one under the age of 30 should say they feel old.

Personally, I am 30 and do not feel old in the slightest.

Me, too! I say we kick the whippersnappers out of the fort!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue May 22, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

How about "dated"? Is it acceptable to say I feel dated?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

Belial wrote:How about "dated"? Is it acceptable to say I feel dated?

Aren't you 22? At that age, I think you can legally use the term 'dated' only in terms of your romantic life. And in the case, stop bragging.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

I are am malfunctioning Humorbot with slowly crashing software in my wetware. The part of my brain that tells me to stop talking or typing doesn't work.

Otherwise, I'm 27, fleshy, and live in a city that devotes far too much time to equine speed trials.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Tue May 22, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:

Perhaps it's a natural side-effect of realizing that the college freshman I'm dealing with were, in some cases, born in 1990.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue May 22, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:
thefiddler wrote:I'm 17 years old, 18 in July. I share a birthday with Hugh (GermanSausage), though he is a year older than me. And it comes to him earlier than myself because he lives in Australia, see, and I don't.

What date's that? I'm also 18 in July, on the 6th.

The 26th. It's somewhere on the forum. One of those "When's your birthday" threads, ages and ages ago. :)

@ Spaz Funbag - Hey, buddy, sarcastic asshole is mine. I do not appreciate you encroaching upon my territory.

Jordan, you are SO not allowed to say you feel old. I, however, can whine about being young all I want. :D

You can find out a lot less about me in the old Intro thread, page... I don't know, I think it was 17 or 18. :) ...Wow, that feels like ages ago. ><

EDIT:
Radio Free Eurasia wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:

Perhaps it's a natural side-effect of realizing that the college freshman I'm dealing with were, in some cases, born in 1990.

Hey, you cannot kick me out! *pouts dejectedly*

Also, wrong. I think most the college freshman for this fall were born in 1988 or 1989. I was born in 1989, and am one of the younger ones on my class.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

@ Scowdich - Your avatar makes babies cry. And grown men vomit. (Oh, and welcome!)

@ Geekner - Hello and glad to have you. Please do not use fire/guns/bombs in the Pic Pwnage thread. It's been done.

@ Age discussion - The first birthday that felt old to me was 26, last August. At 25, there was still a chance to be a kid. I'll soon be 27 and I can't believe it.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:@ Age discussion - The first birthday that felt old to me was 26, last August. At 25, there was still a chance to be a kid. I'll soon be 27 and I can't believe it.

My worst was 25. It completely freaked me out. Now I feel great, and I lie, lie, lie like a rug when I audition, so age doesn't matter anymore!

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Tue May 22, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:

Also, wrong. I think most the college freshman for this fall were born in 1988 or 1989. I was born in 1989, and am one of the younger ones on my class.

I was referencing the incoming freshman classes, of expected 2011 graduation. But I have a lot of experience being "one of the youngest in my class", having been born in late August (plus, I never got to bring cupcakes in to school for my birthday).

And perhaps "old" was a poor way to describe it, but more accurately "entirely unready to be as mature as is expected".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

In my head I am 24. I thought that for about a year before I actually turned 24. I still think that, 3 years after the fact.

I have no idea why.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue May 22, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Radio Free Eurasia wrote:
thefiddler wrote:

I was referencing the incoming freshman classes, of expected 2011 graduation.

So was I. I start college this fall. Actually, I start in a few weeks (yay summer classes), but the school year starts in the fall. And I will be a college freshman. Born in 1989. :)

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:@ Spaz Funbag - Hey, buddy, sarcastic asshole is mine. I do not appreciate you encroaching upon my territory.

Hey, I never said that! All I posted was that sarcasm is something I consider a good thing!
Okay, if you wish: neither this nor my previous post were in any way meant to be sarcastic, especially towards thefiddler. Also, I will try to never claim to be a sarcastic asshole, as this is thefiddlers territory.

Might have been a little sarcasm there...
Gee, you think? Still my territory, not yours.

PtS

Postby PtS » Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

Hey! The sarcasm territory is at least 50% mine!

Anyways, are we re-introducing or not?
My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour.

-Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

alright, alright, do my best to not be sarcastic.

But ironic or sometimes vitriolic will have to be.

I shall never interfere with your great sarcasm ever, though.

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Tue May 22, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:So was I. I start college this fall. Actually, I start in a few weeks (yay summer classes), but the school year starts in the fall. And I will be a college freshman. Born in 1989. :)

I'm going to stick to my guns here, and say that I can find at least a couple students here who never saw the 80s.

Actually though, my sister just finished her first year and was born in 87. I think. Perhaps the ability to do simple subtraction is the first thing to go.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

2007-1990=17

It'd be possible, then, for an isolated few. The average, however, will be 1988-1989 kiddies.

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:2007-1990=17

It'd be possible, then, for an isolated few. The average, however, will be 1988-1989 kiddies.

Well, I ran a quick list and 4.6% of our incoming class is 1990.

So yes, average is the more reasonable but that seriously weakens my original lament.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

feeling old in your twenties is definitely wrong somehow.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Tue May 22, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

Now I feel rather young. Ah vell, 'tis such as life.

'M 15, by the way, if any of you care.

I would re-intoduce myself as I eem to have done a poor job of it the first time around, but it's only two pages back so I shant. Consider yourselves luckey.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue May 22, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

I saw something that looked like "pics of the Tesla coil or it didn't happen". Also, sorry about the long response times, but I'm sick and need my sleep.

Links will be provided in lieu of inserted images, 'cause I don't want anyone to hate me.

And as far as the avatar goes, it's not my favorite...I'll make a new one soon. Promise!

Without further ado:
The whole setup
The best spark I could really manage
The coil, lighting a flourescent bulb
Me with a flourescent bulb. That's my physics hat.

As far as power rating, etc., I don't really know...I'm not yet an expert. The base tranformer was 15kV, 60 mA (I think), and when I did the bulb thing, I could feel my wrist twitching, but it didn't hurt unless I drew off a spark with bare skin.

Ah, I forgot to mention before...I, also, am a big fan of the photographing of things. But taking pictures of people sucks.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Oh, how lovely!

First picture: I assume the black thing is your transformer, and the white thing your capacitor. Crap! Where'd you get those????
900 Watts of blasting lightning power! Ach, nice, mine was only like 10kV 30mA *sigh*
What kind of freaking capacitor is that? Where'dya get that...oooh, i am melting...

Also, that ultra-plug on the floor is pretty "hawt", as some might say.

I enjoy the fact that you wear a science hat, way to go! Need that myself (although I might need a non-flamable kevlar-padded steel helmet that checks my pulse and calls 911 if my heart stopped beating or something...)

I must admit, you have a very fine Tesla Coil.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Tue May 22, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Edited for possible spam -G
Heaven is for the hedonist

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue May 22, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

I...that's the longest, most bizarre spam message I've seen in a long time. Excellent disguise until this point, though it feels as if you let yourself down by not putting any links in...

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 22, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

What in the world?
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

daedelus

Postby daedelus » Tue May 22, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Hey, I was born in '90, and I'm sort of a college sophomore :) That does make me feel happy, to know I've got about a 1-2 year head start on my fellows of the year 1990. I'll be done with my masters by the time they finish their bachelors. Plus, college has been free so far (and hopefully will continue to be).
Dr. Gregory House: You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Return to “General”