Am I crazy? OR How do you imagine others on the fora?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Many of you lovely fora goers have avatars, and eyes with which to see others avatars.
These avatars may be of you, or your favourite picture, or just something unexpected.

My questions to you are, do the avatar's of others affect how you perceive them and their posts to a high degree?
Or do you visualise the avatar (or a mental reconstruction of the avatar) when reading the person's posts?

Personally, I imagine the person with the avatar 'talking' when reading the posts, and I suppose this affects my perception, for example when reading a post by Zohar (Who has an avatar of a keyhole looking monument with energy around it?) it makes me perceive him/the post as more mystic, compared to Meaux_Pas (Who has that small mushroom thing) where I perceive them as cute and small and a mushroom.

JayDee

Re: Avatars and Perception

Postby JayDee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Sometimes a persons avatar warps my perception of someones posts a little. Really annoying ones do this.

More often, though, it's a convenient focus for whatever impression of someone that I get from their posts.

If someone has no avatar, I tend to have trouble associating them with their posts.
Last edited by JayDee on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

don't be fooled by my avatar; i do not have a bunny.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

@Jaydee: Yeh I find it harder to associate people without avatars and their post, as I presumeably tie post style and avatar into the one joint perception, without the avatar the process is harder, maybe.

@parkaboy: But it is a cute bunny, do you have two hats at least?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

Avatars shape my perception of someone in only really two ways:

-If they don't have one, I'm more likely to forget who they are.

-If they have an exceptionally annoying one, I'm more likely to perceive them as annoying.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Avatars shape my perception of someone in only really two ways:

-If they have an exceptionally annoying one, I'm more likely to perceive them as annoying.

Same here. The avatars give me an idea as to what the person is like.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

I love my avatar because it is an image for me to aspire to. It reminds my of a Stephen Fry book "The Hippopotamus", which has the following blurb line:
Ted Wallace is an old, sour, womanising, cantankerous, whisky-sodden beast of a failed poet and drama critic, but he has his faults too.

I hope that by constant drinking I one day become this man. He is truly a grizzled legend.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

I've had a harder time than usual learning who people are in this forum because I keep avatars turned off. I mostly read the forum when I'm at school, so I turn off avatars to avoid attracting attention.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

One effect that I'm aware of is that I sometimes find out a poster's gender. While I don't consciously let a person's gender determine how I act towards em, I suspect that my actions do depend on it somewhat.

Also, an avatar that demonstrates knowledge of mathematics will generally tend to make me respect the poster's mathematical ability more, and analogously for other things.

I'm sure there are also countless effects that I'm simply not aware of.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I experience an improved memorability of users with avatars as well.
My perception of posts isn't too much affected by the impression a user's avatar makes.
I still feel a little (initial) cognitive dissonance, though, when there's a huge discrepancy between the style of a person's post and what I'd expect after having seen their avatar.
But the post's impact on me overweighs that of the avatar.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Avatars have a lot more effect on me when I don't have a good mental image of what the person actually looks like. And of course they do feed into first impressions, since it is a picture that a person has chosen to represent some aspect of themself.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

I miss my old avatar. I'm always surprised to see Ms Harvey's portrait in its place.

I'm going to echo previous sentiments and say that avatars only really affect my perception of a person if they're
1. Horribly annoying and so the person is thus working at an instant disadvantage or
2. Relevant to something I love and thus the person is working at instant advantage.

Otherwise, they bother me little except to help me keep track of the more regular posters.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce.....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Oh me yarm! (Sorry for that) Thta is indeed exactly how I read it! When I read a post of SecondTalon, I always keep in the back of my mind "Words of a 25-30 year old girl who's pretty attractive and has an IQ of between 115-120" although he's male...

Also: @SecondTalon, couldn't you at least go through the trouble of using only ONE capitol "B" for bounce. So It wouldn't be "Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce ...etc" But something like "Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce ... etc." :?:

AGAIN @SecondTalon: What the fuckadoodledoo is your avatar?!
Ptolom wrote:penis

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

I don't make a conscious decision about most people based on their avatars (although I guess that there is some subliminal 'first impression' thing going on), and generally just associate each avatar with the person posting. I still notice people without avatars, and don't think I forget these people any more than those with them.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

It appears to be a live version of Sailor Moon -- also, whenever I look at SecondTalon's avatar, I invariably hear music in time with the Bounce, Bounce, Bounce.... ^^x

Also, in terms of gender, I feel like my avatar makes it reasonably obvious that I'm a girl, but then, I'm at the distinct advantage of knowing for sure. <3
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

I am, in fact, David Hasselhoff. I enjoy swimming with my arms to my side, and bobbing.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

My avatar is accurate. I do not exist. I am a figment of the imagination.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I like your avatar. Its my favourite.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Okay, as a few other people have clarified whether or not their avatars are truly representative of their RL selves:
My avatar is of me. I am really a wheel of cheese balanced on top of a body (also made of cheese). I would like to confess, though, that I have never worn the santa hat in the picture; it was painted* on.

*As in, I used MSpaint. I considered saying 'photoshopped', then realised that that would be inaccurate.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

i remember the avatar more than names. like just now i had no clue who the person that made this was then i saw the pink cowboy hat and knew who it was

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I am, in fact, David Hasselhoff. I enjoy swimming with my arms to my side, and bobbing.

You know, for a moment I believed you! :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

Belial wrote:-If they have an exceptionally annoying one, I'm more likely to perceive them as annoying.

Oddly enough it happens in reverse. If I find the person annoying I find the avatar annoying.

Sometimes.

Also, I find that in avatars, bigger is better.

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

WHY HELLO THAR EARTHIANS, care to join me in this quadrant of the galaxy? We have cardassianscookies.

But yes, absolutely. Avatars have a huuuuuuuge influence on perception, and I dare say you associate the avatar more than the name. That being said, I need to change my avatar. Preferably to something less abstract, and more wacky.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:AGAIN @SecondTalon: What the fuckadoodledoo is your avatar?!

It reminds me of something from http://engrish.com/ -- translation faux pas combined with ignorance of terms: A sweatshirt with a rainbow on it and the words "I hate myself and want to die."

.....If we don't read kanji, how do we know they're not doing the same thing to us??

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Yes, I remember who people are by their avatar first and their name second. Visual, then intellectual recognition. And I use the mana screw avatar because I use it on a couple forums and it makes it easy to find my posts when I'm looking for replies :)

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Echodork wrote:Yes, I remember who people are by their avatar first and their name second. Visual, then intellectual recognition. And I use the mana screw avatar because I use it on a couple forums and it makes it easy to find my posts when I'm looking for replies :)

You know. Now that I know what your avatar stands for, it's almost unbearably funny to me. :) I get the feeling that I should have picked up on it somehow or another, but ah well.

As far as avatars go for me, I tend determine whether a user is annoying or not by post content, and then have the positive or negative connotation tacked on to their respective avatars. I'm a little guilty of losing track of people who don't have avatars. :(

I'm relatively hard to piss off, though. As a general rule, you probably have to make a conscious effort to make me regard you as annoying.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Avatars help me sort out who's who. I could remember without them, but that little square of visualization lends itself to closer-to-instant recognition.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

I don't have an avatar. I tend to think of people without avatars as either my blood brothers/sisters (although it seems like nearly all the avatarless are men), or as spambots.

I react in very unpredictable ways to avatars (which may be why I have none). For example, ST's, despite being an animated gif, is only slightly annoying (actually, the fact that it's pink is more annoying than the fact that it's moving). Ian's, though pink, is not annoying. The most annoying avatar of an active poster on the fora belongs to Anpheus (no offense meant).

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I rely on the avatars to know who is who, I have even noticed that I will recognize someone from many posts, only to realize that I have never actually read their name. (I am like this in real life as well, it is irritating.)

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Also, I have always come off as indecisive with constantly changing my avatar/signature/wallpaper etcetc.

It's not my fault, there are just too many good ones out there!

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Also, I have always come off as indecisive with constantly changing my avatar/signature/wallpaper etcetc.
No. No. No. Don't ever do it again. Gah!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:I don't have an avatar.

Your "username" has a recognizable shape that pretty much acts as an avatar by itself.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:

Your "username" has a recognizable shape that pretty much acts as an avatar by itself.

I always saw it as a name for an Aphex twin or Radiohead song.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Regardless of what you may believe, I am actually posting from Mars. Its sort of lonely.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:

My name doesn't act as my avatar.. your crazy
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I like to use my banksy made avatar as a sociopolitical release.

Plus one of these days someone is going to actually think I am a crossdressing monkey.
To exist is to resist.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Avatars shape my perception of someone in only really two ways:

Add my vote for this feeling on avatars and posts.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:
VTHodge wrote:

How did you possibly construe that I was refering to you when I quoted ++$_?

Also: My crazy what? Finish your sentance.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:
VTHodge wrote:

How did you possibly construe that I was refering to you when I quoted ++$_?

I didn't I found it funny? Were your referring to me.?

Edit:
You're**
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Return to “General”