Am I crazy? OR How do you imagine others on the fora?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Re: Am I crazy or do others do this?

Postby grythyttan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Due to the strawberries, you're the young Asian lady version of Kaylee.

Although I often connect forumites with their avatars, I mostly "hear" their posts in either a voice I like to call "me, if i would be narrating my own life." or in a calm, soothing, slightly british female voice that sounds a lot like something that would be found in a futuristic setting telling people how much time is left on the self destruct sequence.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 am UTC

Briareos wrote:EDIT: this should be a general thread for "How do you imagine others on the fora?"

Good idea. I'll add that to the OP, if that's alright with everyone.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

podbaydoor

Re: Am I crazy? OR How do you imagine others on the fora?

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 am UTC

@grythyttan: That's...pretty much how I hear the forum. Maybe not British female, but probably nondescript American female, sounding suspiciously like me.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:32 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Maybe not British female, but probably nondescript American female, sounding suspiciously like me.
It is odd to hear that description in my nondescript American male voice.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 am UTC

Decker wrote:Ah. Now I'm wondering how people imagine me.
This. I always feel like I'm the person that's always around, but never noticed.

As far as everyone else, if I know what they look like, then that's one thing, otherwise it's generic (Canadian (No I don't say aboot) Great Lakes) accent. Androgynous usually, though if I know the gender of the person then the vice shifts in pitch up or down. Tone is set by the avatar.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
Decker wrote:Ah. Now I'm wondering how people imagine me.
This. I always feel like I'm the person that's always around, but never noticed.

I always feel like this too. Do people notice me?

/insecure
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 am UTC

I've never really done this. Avatars are useful to keep users differentiated from one another, but I've never tried to attach a face or voice to any poster.

themonk

Postby themonk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Well I'm a little new to the fora, so I would not expect anyone to have an idea about what I sound like or any other characteristic, for that matter.

Generally, I put the avatar with the person - usually memorising the avatar, rather than the name. So once you change your avatar, you are a new person to me. Well, unless you make a strong impression on me. I do make quick judgments of people.... not the best thing to do. Before I know you, you look like this to me. It's just to make me feel better about myself :cry: .

I hear everyone in my own "head voice", even the women, though sometimes my "head voice" gets bored and it changes its accent or intelligence level.
- click for the One Sentence Project (OSP). (Nothing to do with Oral Sodium Phospate)

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Most avatars are just a minor aid in remembering people, except Housevatars. All I can hear in my head when I see one of those is Hugh Laurie being annoying in an American ascent; you have been warned.

Some avatars are special however: Belial never was, nor ever will be a raptor (I mean look at his hat), SexyTalon is his avatar for me and I wouldn't recognise him without it, There are the shrooms, smw543 and bigglesworth fighter aces (who are always British regardless of accuracy), a certain awesome puppy and many others who I associate their avatar strongly with both personality (perhaps unjustly) and posts.

I usually don't build views based, one iota, on people's names because they are all so weird (what the hell kind of personality would people associate Kulantan with). However, titles form a big part of my prejudice of people on the forum (for example I'm, to this day, slightly weirded out by your title Zohar.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Dream mentioned injuring his arm somehow, sometime, so I see him in a sling.

They wouldn't let me have a sling, they said it was bad for my recovery. I do, however, have a huge scar.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

If I didn't know how Dashing dreams actually looks, I'd imagine him as a pirate now.
But generally, people that don't have face, or face inspired avatars, my mental image of them is their avatar loaded with emotions about shit they've written.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:I always feel like I'm the person that's always around, but never noticed.

/insecure
I've noticed and remember you both, if that's worth anything :P

Personally I lurk way too much to be noticed, hehe.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

I imagine personalities and vague faces, unless you were part of the avatarmy in which case I know your face, or have met IRL. The faces I imagine are usually spot on or prettymuch their anti-face, never in-between. I read posts with people's voices when I know the person's voice, or if I know the accent from the area it will be a male or female (depending) with appropriate accent. For example, before I skyped with Zohar I still read his posts in a voice pretty much his own. I don't make personalities and looks and voices for people who I don't read many posts of though. It develops over time, and the more I chat with/skype with/etc with someone the more developed it gets, but then again, it's not really made-up at that point, it is quite based in reality.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Well, up until recently I didn't pay much attention to who posted what and it was just a bunch of faceless shadows. Now, everyone's still zee same, but they all speak with a hilariously outrageous accent because I recently used Greasemonkey to change zee word "zee" to "zee".

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I figure at least most people would remember the young Asian lady, nerds being what they are. Is this true or do I actually come off as a bunch of strawberries?

Actually, this is kind of a creepy confession, but we once bantered about you being an open source kind of girl, and you responded by saying "you can read my code any day" and since then I've seen you as the woman in the red dress from the Matrix, but Asian because of a few pictures you posted, which is a circuitous way of saying I think you're pretty ::scurries away::

Dream wrote:They wouldn't let me have a sling, they said it was bad for my recovery. I do, however, have a huge scar.

Yeah, that's what I said, I see you standing in a tree with a bandolier of severed lion paws, howling your rage at the sky, myriad battle scars rippling. Pssht, duh.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 am UTC

I just have this weird person in my head that kinda adjusts depending on initial impressions and late information. Even if I've seen the person's face, even if I've seen it very often, I still use the vague being in my head for the most part.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 am UTC

I don't hear a voice when I read, and I don't really imagine others on the fora. I'm boring, I guess.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 am UTC

I'll admit to envisioning forum members based on their avatars. PBD's was particulalrly jarring, as you don't look anything like strawberries, or most of the mental connotations of strawberries I have. Graphite Girl's was bad, too, since her old avatar was, IIRC, actually of a female sitting at a computer.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:03 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've posted my facerity in zee forums, but my avatar has always been strawberries in some form. I figure at least most people would remember zee young Asian lady, nerds being what they are. Is this true or do I actually come off as a bunch of strawberries?

I have actually thought of you as a bunch of strawberries. Now that I think about it, it was a weird thing to do.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:I figure at least most people would remember the young Asian lady, nerds being what they are. Is this true or do I actually come off as a bunch of strawberries?

Actually, this is kind of a creepy confession, but we once bantered about you being an open source kind of girl, and you responded by saying "you can read my code any day" and since then I've seen you as the woman in the red dress from the Matrix, but Asian because of a few pictures you posted, which is a circuitous way of saying I think you're pretty ::scurries away::

Baby, you're still welcome to read my code. Creepiness factor upped by 10%!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:

Baby, you're still welcome to read my code. Creepiness factor upped by 10%!

The distictly red subject of your avatar is not helping (hurting?) your case here, you know . . .
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:18 am UTC

All the better to compile your code with, my dear.

I can't help but feel flattered that the thread has turned into discussing me and my strawberries somehow.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 am UTC

Blinke wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:I always feel like I'm the person that's always around, but never noticed.

/insecure
I've noticed and remember you both, if that's worth anything :P

I suffer from both sides of this. I always worry that my posts go totally unnoticed and so I make a point to read what others write and wish I could comment on everyone's posts.

Also, I just changed my avatar (used to be me with fuzzy black hair and holding a big toy rifle) so it will be interesting to see if it alters anyone's perception of me.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 am UTC

Mostly, I think of people as being what their avatars look like. For example, I think of Fjanfjan as this crazy European guy who always runs around shouting and jumping and waving his arms a lot. Since the recent mass destruction of avatars, I think of most of you as faceless strangers right now.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:33 am UTC

I think of fjafjan as kyle (from southpark). Or some painting I can't remember exactly. People I saw a lot of pictures of ages ago when I still followed the face thread, I remember as a face, but then half of them aren't here any more, or don't post in areas I read. So I generally think of people by their avatars.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:Although I often connect forumites with their avatars, I mostly "hear" their posts in either a voice I like to call "me, if i would be narrating my own life." or in a calm, soothing, slightly british female voice that sounds a lot like something that would be found in a futuristic setting telling people how much time is left on the self destruct sequence.

I recorded myself doing a posh, British self-destruction voice like that for my student film. No-one believes it's me. Le sigh.

I've always had my face as some sort of avatar for this forum. I'm not very good at doing the whole 'anonymous user' thing. For some reason I seem to be drawn to posts from people who have face avatars too. I don't know, it seems to make things a bit more personal.
i dare you to take me on...

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'll admit to envisioning forum members based on their avatars. PBD's was particulalrly jarring, as you don't look anything like strawberries, or most of the mental connotations of strawberries I have. Graphite Girl's was bad, too, since her old avatar was, IIRC, actually of a female sitting at a computer.

Wait, was it? I had Faye from Questionable Content, and then Data from Star Trek as Sherlock Holmes, and then a portrait of me in Diesel Sweeties style, and then the same portrait modified to look like Granny Weatherwax. Hmm...

Also, facevatars and Hazel portrait avatars are my favourites, because they make me feel like I'm imagining the person correctly. Zeroignite's makes me read most of his posts slightly more quizzically than I would otherwise. No specific vocal tone ever though, unless someone uses caps lock cheerfully, in which case I imagine their post the same way I imagine the voice of T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics.

Edit: it is possible that I referenced too many webcomics in this post.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:Mostly, I think of people as being what their avatars look like. For example, I think of Fjanfjan as this crazy European guy who always runs around shouting and jumping and waving his arms a lot. Since the recent mass destruction of avatars, I think of most of you as faceless strangers right now.

Having met him, I can in fact confirm this is exactly what he's like. In fact, he caught my attention that day because the police were trying to coax him out of a tree he had climbed and was shooting pedestrians with marshmallows from. Upon seeing that I thought to myself "Yep, this guy definitely came for the XKCD meetup".

I'll let you all work out how much of that was true.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'll admit to envisioning forum members based on their avatars. PBD's was particulalrly jarring, as you don't look anything like strawberries, or most of the mental connotations of strawberries I have. Graphite Girl's was bad, too, since her old avatar was, IIRC, actually of a female sitting at a computer.

Wait, was it? I had Faye from Questionable Content, and then Data from Star Trek as Sherlock Holmes, and then a portrait of me in Diesel Sweeties style, and then the same portrait modified to look like Granny Weatherwax. Hmm...

I believe it must have been one/both of the latter two, and I filled in the rest in my minds eye? I'm kind of at a loss to explain this . . .

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:33 am UTC

oddly enough, it feels weird to see myself with a different avatar.

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Ah, so there really was a mass avatar destruction.

I approve of this thread, and will add that I always think of sje43 as Ringo Starr.

EDIT: My avatar is back from the netherworld in new-and-improved Technicolor (used to be black and white, as you may or may not recall).

EDIT EDIT: Is it annoying?
Last edited by Forum Viking on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:47 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 am UTC

I've been told that people think of me as Summer Glau or mistook my avatar for a facevatar of someone who looked a lot like Summer Glau.

I get very strong avatar-poster associations, to the point that I actually trust someone less after they change their avatar ("You? <poster>? You don't look like them at all! You're an IMPOSTER!).
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 am UTC

I totally do this, even with my own avatar. I wonder if changing avatars can actually impact someone's writing style - I suspect that's happened to me at least once.

Also, you all write with South African accents.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 am UTC

Vieto wrote:oddly enough, it feels weird to see myself with a different avatar.

I know, it's like "Hey, I've never seen that person around, wait, that's me...*"

I have to wonder what my current avatar is doing to people's heads...

* Yes, I've managed to not even recognize my own posts by their content.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I think of fjafjan as kyle (from southpark). Or some painting I can't remember exactly. People I saw a lot of pictures of ages ago when I still followed the face thread, I remember as a face, but then half of them aren't here any more, or don't post in areas I read. So I generally think of people by their avatars.

Kyle? ^^
I used to have an abstract painting by Kandinsky, then "Skalman" and then me. But yeah, I mostly have a "real" image of people that have either been here ages, or that have a face avatar.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Return to “General”