Pipe Smoking forumites?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheKrikkitWars

Pipe Smoking forumites?

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

The fora seems slightly anti-smoking biased; but I know that I'm increasing my risk of mouth cancer and all the other nasty effects so leave it out guys.

Right that aside, about a six months ago I started smoking a pipe, I'd bought one for a fancy dress costume and then someone gave me some caramel coffee flavoured tobacco... So i figured what the heck, I'll just use this up; in the process i became determined to learn how to blow smoke rings and so about 2 times a week would light up a bowl and have a nice relaxing 45 minutes of puffing pleasantly fragranced smoke into the shape of rings; kinda like a hobby.

I can't say I've noticed the agressive phsiological effects I've had when I tried a friends cigarette before (though as one doesn't inhale pipe smoke, I wouldn't really expect it), Nor have I felt a *need* to smoke, often going several weeks without it at the behest of my girlfriend or parents; which makes me feel that it's a compartively harmless hobby.

Are there other pipe smokers out there on the forum? I'm sure some of you must have tried it for novelty value alone; or indeed choose a pipe (though probably not a traditional briar pipe) for the consumption of non-tobacco smoking preparations.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

You, sir, name?

Re: Pipe Smoking forumites?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

There's like a pipe smoking cult on youtube. With videos of a guy sitting around smoking his pipe and talking about pipe-smoking.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

I actually have a friend who is really against smoking. But he would like to smoke a pipe just because it's classy.
When it comes to me i think of the pipe as something homie and warm
Trying is the first step towards failure

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

I would absolutely love to smoke a pipe. Though knowing me I probably would inhale the smoke, out of habit. I do with cigars >.<

I'm glad it hasn't led you to being addicted. Being addicted to tobacco is not fun, especially when you run out and find yourself sinking to new lows just to smoke.

Seriously, finding ancient cigarettes in the sofa and being happy about it is not something I'm proud of.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 am UTC

I've enjoy a good pipe every now and then. I only really ever starting smoking pipes and cigars because my dad would when I was a child, when we'd go camping or when we'd barbecue in the backyard, it always smelt really good, and thus when I smoke, the smell is like a trip down memory lane.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am UTC

Correct me if I'm wrong(because I probably am), but I always thought pipe-smokers tobacco had a lot less of the addictive/toxic chemicals than cigarettes?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 am UTC

It might well do, I remember that ciggarettes used to be treated with extra nicotine...

I do know that if you inhale the smoke, it will have you on the floor coughing and spluttering, so clearly unfiltered smoke is still not good news.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 am UTC

One of my old friend's father used to smoke and it always smelled sweet, I've mused about smoking a pipe; but I'm 16 so it really isn't a posbility. It just seems right, and homie(?) to me.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

one of my favorite childhood smells was that of Sr. Walter Raleigh (sp?) Aromatic pipe tobacco (one of my grandpa's best friends used to smoke it)...it's got a great smell to it and is really enjoyable.

pipe smoking can have the same effect as wearing glasses. people automatically assume you're smarter than the average bear, which can have it's advantages (now, wear some horn rimmed glasses and smoke a nice calabash pipe and you've basically got an honorary degree from Harvard).

pipe smoking and cigar smoking are MUCH more relaxing ventures than cigarette smoking. with cigarette smoking (even if you roll your own) it's a pretty quick affair, you pull one out, light it up, and puff away. then you're done within 5-10 minutes.

with a pipe or a cigar it's a commitment. you've got to put in a decent amount of effort to make sure that the item you're about to smoke is going to be enjoyable (i.e. doing the research to find a pipe tobacco and pipe that you're going to enjoy, as well as finding a cigar that you will enjoy). and then you've got to go through the proper "light up" procedure (roasting the end for a cigar, with a pipe you've got to get the perfect pinch, then get the perfect tamp, then roast and light on the perfect puff). then there's the whole smoking ethos (long drags, short puffs, inhale/don't inhale/inhale some but not all, roll on the tongue, no roll, etc.. etc.. etc..)...this all adds up to 30 minutes or more for an average relaxing smoke. it can get quite entertaining just going through all these steps.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

I picked up pipe smoking around a year ago. It was always something that I wanted to try (take that high school anti-smoking campaigns) and so when I was of age I did.

Here is a picture of my equipment:
Spoiler:

From Top, clockwise: Filters, pipe tool, Stanwell Vanilla tobacco, corn cob pipe, briar pipe, plastic baggie used to hold it all.

That is the first tin of tobacco I bought,with about 1/3rd left. Shows you how much I smoke it. The briar pipe sucks (or I suck, either way it was fairly cheap), but the corn cob one is fun. I bought most of it in Germany (hence the German), but now I'm back in Canada.

I have one friend that I smoke with whenever I see him, usually over drinks. I don't think my parents would be too pumped about me smoking at the house, and my little brother doesn't need to be influenced by my habits, so my skills and experiences are fairly limited.

I second the fact that pipe smoking does not bring about addictive habits. It may be habit forming in the way that I have a habit of browsing these forums every day, but not in the "I NEED A PIPE!!" way.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

I have smoked a pipe in the past and didn't really enjoy it that much. I think this may have been due to it being a poor quality pipe and poor quality smoking materials. I do like the idea of it, though, so I may invest in a better pipe in the future. I like the idea of, in the summer, sitting around in the sun in a pub garden or somewhere else pleasant and puffing away happily for a good while.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:[the reason pipes were invented]

Yes.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Wow, I feel like a low tech pipe smoker now, I just have a briar pipe (just replaced, I got drunk, fell over, snapped my old one, duct taped it together and used it until the adhesive started to affect the smoke.), Zippo (i know matches and butane lighters are better, but i've had it ages), and a plastic bag of baccy (I normally buy a different blend each time, usually in half ounces), also pipe cleaners but I never carry them; if it gets bad when I'm out I can order a cheap shot of vodka and squirt it through the detached stem from my mouth and let it dry naturally...

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong(because I probably am), but I always thought pipe-smokers tobacco had a lot less of the addictive/toxic chemicals than cigarettes?

Generally plain tobacco will not mess with you on the level that most cigarettes do. It's still /smoke/ and unfiltered smoke nearly always has some kind of bad effects no matter what's burning, but besides that as far as I know it's mostly okay.

Nicotine being present in the tobacco does still lead to addictiveness, but if you *start* on a low dosage you are less likely to get addicted, thus why pipe smoking doesn't seem to be that addictive (since you're not inhaling a whole lot of it). Low-nicotine cigarettes/"light" cigarettes are actually useful, but only if you're smoking them to start with, since if you normally have a regular dosage and you switch, you'll end up smoking multiple "light" ones to get the right dosage.

Hooray for obligatory health classes.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Found this with a quick Google search:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_pipe_tob ... gararettes

I maintain my position that I'm probably more likely to die in a car crash than from cancer relating to my tobacco smoking. That's based on my usage though, which is almost none :P

The only negative effect I notice is that I'm a little bit shorter of breath than normal the day after (I usually inhale 1/6 puffs).

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 am UTC

I used to work in a hookah cafe and had to test the hookahs before I served them to the customers. I've had about every flavour you can imagine. I also used to smoke out of a pipe for about 2 years or so. After I kicked that I smoked cigarettes lightly for about 3 weeks before stopping. I think twice a week is generally harmless and does sound rather relaxing.

Ahh, you're making me remember what it's like!

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

now...if i could find a way to carry a high quality hookah around with me everywhere i go....nothing better (plus it makes you look exotic)
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Backpack?

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Like a camelbak, but less healthy!

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 am UTC

So, experts, if I should decide to take up pipe smoking, what would be your advice for a newcomer? I know where I can buy a pipe and hopefully the same shop should sell pipe tobacco. Would anyone care to recommend a variety of tobacco? How does one pack it into the pipe? I presume one can light it with a match. Is there anything else I should know, or any other top tips for technique?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

skipper5

Postby skipper5 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:So, experts, if I should decide to take up pipe smoking, what would be your advice for a newcomer? I know where I can buy a pipe and hopefully the same shop should sell pipe tobacco. Would anyone care to recommend a variety of tobacco? How does one pack it into the pipe? I presume one can light it with a match. Is there anything else I should know, or any other top tips for technique?

I bought myself a pipe on my birthday eight years ago and have been pipe smoking ever since. Many friends try it, but most cannot handle the commitment and strength of the unfiltered smoke. On the other hand, almost everyone loves the aroma created by the smoke as long as it's not directly in their face.

My advice to a newcomer would be to go a cigar/tobacco shop (not a hookah/glass pipe shop) and talk to the people that work there. They will offer to show you how to pack the bowl, light, smoke, and care for your pipe. They will even allow you to sample their blended tobaccos to find something you like. At least this has been my experience at the handful of full service shops I use.

I would also recommend a leather pouch to hold your pipe and tobacco for storage.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

I'm not old enough to smoke but if I did, it'd be a pipe or cigar. Hot smoke + lungs = bad >_<

My uncle smokes a pipe and has a really deformed bottom row of teeth from the pipe. That's one thing that puts me off the idea...

However, you can point at people with it.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thinks cigars smell like dirty, sweaty socks?

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Maybe if you're buying poor quality cigars.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Maybe you have awesome sweat.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:So, experts, if I should decide to take up pipe smoking, what would be your advice for a newcomer? I know where I can buy a pipe and hopefully the same shop should sell pipe tobacco. Would anyone care to recommend a variety of tobacco? How does one pack it into the pipe? I presume one can light it with a match. Is there anything else I should know, or any other top tips for technique?

http://www.pipesmokingguide.com/loading-your-pipe

Follow the other links; a lot of pipe smoking is personal preference anyway; you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 am UTC

wst wrote:However, you can point at people with it.

For this exact purpose, I now wish I smoked a pipe.

I have done so in the past, actually, since a friend of mine is a smoker of the pipe and he would often lend me his spare whenever the discussion developed so much to that level of intrigue and eloquence that does require the fine act of pipe-smoking to do it justice.

Now, however (and not by relation to having smoked a pipe, I must add), I smoke roll-up cigarettes regularly. Managed to stay away for five days last week but caved on the sixth. Shall attempt again from Monday, but I'm certainly in no position to go purchasing a pipe at the moment which is a shame.
So now I can only hope that I don't manage to quit... And that lent should come and I shall not manage then either... And then, upon my 21st birthday, a cigar! Another of life's marvels. Alas, I believe I will quit since I am strong of will and am putting a regime into place upon attempting, but cigars:
I could never handle them. They always made me feel that little bit sick since I could never break the habit of taking in the smoke. Pipes I could handle and would smoke properly but of cigars I could not puff without my lungs wanting to leap up my throat. Pipes certainly have a smoother texture if not a more satisfying taste (regardless of making me sick). It is that taste, though, and the fact that I believe I could nail the technique now, that make think I might just take of a cigar for my birthday. And because purchasing a pipe is a commitment and an expense I can't bring myself to. Perhaps when I've grown older and have a home of my own that isn't adorned with "No Smoking" signs, and when I have turned one room of my home into a study where I shall sit to write, perhaps then I will take to the idea of owning and smoking a pipe for it is certainly the smoke of fine and noble gentlemen.

I wish many pleasures to you all and to your pipes.

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am UTC

Don't breath in the smoke and it won't hurt your lungs Schmut.

I like the way matches light a pipe. They seem to perform better than Bic lighters. One doesn't have to purchase special "pipe" matches either. I just use regular strike anywhere matches and they're great. $2.50 for 500? OK.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

A Zippo used with the new low-odour fuel (Black Can), is THE way to light a pipe (and at as little as £5 for a basic one, you can hardly afford not to); The pipe lighting attachment is useful, but not neccesary at all just tip the pipe to one side!

I appreciate it over matches purely because it isn't affected by wind.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

LongLiveTheDutch wrote:Don't breath in the smoke and it won't hurt your lungs Schmut.

Should be easy, I know... But one little mistake out of habitual behaviours and the whole smoke is tainted.

Lighting methods:
My friend used a Zippo pipe-lighter. Effective in design but still taints the flavour. I'd always opt for a match where available. It's amazing how such a little decision makes such a large difference.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Krikkit, get windproof matches for outdoor use, and normal ones for indoor :D

Enderb

Postby Enderb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

I started smoking my first semester, ~5 months ago. Like most things I do its a solo thing, outside reading perhaps, and anywhere between 1-3 times a week. While I'm getting better at it now, less matches needed to smoke a bowl, etc, I found it tough to start. For me it was like juggling, everyone needs to learn it their own way, especially since I couldn't find a whole lot of help online, or even from my local tobacco shop owner (partially because I was embarrassed to ask questions.) But then again, this whole youtube subculture is news to me.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:about 2 times a week would light up a bowl and have a nice relaxing 45 minutes of puffing pleasantly fragranced smoke into the shape of rings; kinda like a hobby.

more like a hobbit
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Return to “General”