deleted

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Paranoid__Android

Re: So what do most of you guys do when not on the internet?

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

CueBall wrote:I'm studying maths, further maths, and physics. I also practise/teach Tae Kwon Do, and I freerun.

Ah, the joys of A-levels.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:
CueBall wrote:I'm studying maths, further maths, and physics. I also practise/teach Tae Kwon Do, and I freerun.

I've always wondered: is maths required to take further maths? The latter seems to make the former redundant, at least from my perspective.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Velict wrote:
Paranoid__Android wrote:

I've always wondered: is maths required to take further maths? The latter seems to make the former redundant, at least from my perspective.

It doesn't, it adds to it. You need maths to do further, it forms a basis.
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

-"So Jimmy, what are you taking in college my dear?"
-"More math!"
-"More math than what?"

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

That’s a great combination if you have a real interest in mathematics and are keen to pursue a degree where mathematical theory is at the core of the subject, rather than one of the tools of the trade. It’s the combination that I did and I think it let me get past ‘learning maths’ and into ‘understanding maths’. Then I ran up against the appalling quality of maths–for-physics lectures at Oxford and it all went a bit runny. Good luck CueBall!
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:That’s a great combination if you have a real interest in mathematics and are keen to pursue a degree where mathematical theory is at the core of the subject, rather than one of the tools of the trade. It’s the combination that I did and I think it let me get past ‘learning maths’ and into ‘understanding maths’. Then I ran up against the appalling quality of maths–for-physics lectures at Oxford and it all went a bit runny. Good luck CueBall!

Thanks. :D
Spoiler:
<3

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

No problem. Any idea what you want to do as a degree?

I'm deeply impressed by the Tae Kwon Do. Always wanted to try it but I really don't have time. And I'm in awe of the free running!
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:No problem. Any idea what you want to do as a degree?

I'm deeply impressed by the Tae Kwon Do. Always wanted to try it but I really don't have time. And I'm in awe of the free running!

Both are great fun, and not as hard as they look, just require practice and determination. I've always loved exercise, and those are ways I can keep fit and show off at the same time! :D And I think just pure mathematics, it appeals to me most.
Spoiler:
<3

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 am UTC

I sleep. And sometimes go to school and shop for groceries. Not much else to do in a small town, especially when it's insanely cold out.
Sungura wrote:Take care of my mom
Do housework
You do not want to know how I misread that.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 am UTC

I'm in high school, and I tend to either be at school, be dealing with horses, be at a friends house, or be online, be it talking with friends or playing games.
Omni.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Right now I'm a journalism student at the University of Missouri, senior, about to graduate. I've been working in newsrooms since freshman year, so I call myself a journalist too. I tried to double major in IT, failed, scaled back to a minor, and am now also writing copy for the college of engineering's website and shooting PR-ish type videos for them. I travel, either to Texas or elsewhere with my family, usually Taiwan or various national parks around the US. I went to the Beijing 2008 Olympics as an English volunteer and worked at several different venues.

When explicitly not on the internet (a difficult proposition, as my laptop is practically attached to my hip and I've been spoiled by widespread wi-fi all over campus and most of downtown), I write fanfiction, dabble in tabletop, watch my boyfriend play video games, avoid cleaning my apartment, have sex, play DDR, sometimes hang out with friends.

Wow, thinking about my typical day really put into perspective how much of my life is tied up in the intertubes.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 am UTC

danniebenedi wrote:You guys all seem to live in suburban or rural little places, I feel so out of place; my whole life, I've lived in a rather large city (Miami, Florida) and I can't imagine what it's like to be somewhere that people DON'T go on vacation.

How many of you find your towns or cities boring?

[/quote]I live in the nineth biggest metropolitan areas in the country and grew up outside Ft. Lauderdale. During the brief period I lived in a small town, I was bored senseless. Here, there's always things to do, stuff to see, and places to go. And it's almost all accessible by public transit. I love it.[/quote]How small? The "Town of 50,000" line that people from large metropolitan areas consider a small town, or an actual small town with a population that couldn't fill the House of Representative's floor?

Me, I grew up in a town of 7000 (county of 15,000 - surrounding towns were all smaller. The nearest town that was larger (32,000) was a half-hour away.) and moved to a similar town near Louisville before finally moving to Louisville. Frankly, I'm just as capable of being bored here as I was in my hometown. The problem wasn't stuff to do, the problem was and continues to be me not finding any of it entertaining enough to do.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:22 am UTC

Sleep. Yeah, mostly that.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Cold

Postby Cold » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 am UTC

I have target practice with whatever bow/crossbow/gun(In this case, I take it and a box of bullets to the firing range we have here) I can find laying around. Which is a disturbingly common occurrence at my house.
Or I go walk/jog/run at whatever pace suits the weather. Or my mood, which doesn't change more than once a day.
I honestly can't think of anything else.
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

On rural/urban: I find living in Cornwall (which comprises most of my life thus far) very boring and tedious. Life in the big bright city of Sheffield, however, is much more exciting.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Buddha with a bra on wrote:On rural/urban: I find living in Cornwall (which comprises most of my life thus far) very boring and tedious. Life in the big bright city of Sheffield, however, is much more exciting.

Funny you should say that. As a fellow Cornishman, not that I'm arguing with you: a lot of my friends found growing up in an isolated rural environment quite dull. I wasn't one of them, but then I loved the isolation, the freedom to walk all day alone from the age of 6, the raw beauty and, well, basically, I was an introverted nerd.

However, since I've moved to London (and it's satellite dormitory towns that orbit like parasitic flies), I've discovered a few things:
- It's far lonelier and more dull to be surrounded by 5 million people who don't give a toss about you.
- The pursuit of wealth does not buy you freedom. In fact it buys you a prison of your own making.
- The on-the-edge, it's us (the community) against the environment, the sea, the lack of work, opportunity, etc. in an isolated rural environment is REAL. The desire to own a sharper suit, a shinier fake 4x4, a more expensive gucci briefcase, or a bigger mock-Tudor house in the suburbs is an illusion. It's fairy dust.
- Cities smell! Particularly in the summer. How many dead creatures are in those drains?

Just saying.....
Spoiler:

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

I'm in my final year of high school and trying to get better at maths :(

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

The smallest community I've lived in is this town I'm in now, Columbia: recently passed 100,000. I keep saying it's a small town and my more rural-hailing friends correcting me on my misconceptions. Sorry, but when you hail from Seattle, Washington, and your family now lives in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, anything less than 200,000 is gonna seem small...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

The town I was raised in has a population of around 6k. Where I went to college had a population of about 50,000. Probably another 8k for students. Now I'm living in KC. I think the entire KC metro area has a population of around 2 million?

It's kind of sad how accustomed to living in a larger area I've become. When I first moved here, my wife & I did a lot more things. Concerts, musicals, comedy clubs, etc. We seem to do less now even though we know about lots more things to do.

Although we are going out to a nice Argentinian restaurant tonight, so that's exciting.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Postby Special Agent Dale Cooper » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 am UTC

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Er, I:

*Attempt to keep up with my Physics degree course
*Draw
*Read
*Pace back and forth in my room like a bear in a zoo enclosure

Such is the glamorous life of EthZee.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

@ Jumble: the main thing I find liberating about living in a busy area is that you don't need to drive to the pub. This whole city business cuts down my carbon footprint so much, I feel like a proper eco-warrior. :P
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I mainly grew up in a county with a population of under 23,000. Boring as hell, but there's something nice about living on 4 acres and having friends that live on 50 that means you can do a lot of wandering... I alternate between a town of about 68,000 (Crewe) and one (well, technically a city...) of about, using the largest possible number wikipedia gives me, 88,000. But don't think that includes students, and it's very much a student town.

I don't really do cities. Everything is in walking distance for me in Crewe or Durham, and anything I can't get here I can get easily enough after a reasonably short and cheap train journey (more so in Durham, where it's 15 minutes and about £4 return to Newcastle). Durham is much prettier and generally a nicer place than Crewe of course...

In terms of the original question, I'm in my second year of a philosophy and psychology BA. What I'll do with it at the end is anyone's guess... I also row for my college, though at the lower scale of competitiveness, and do ballet. Other than that, it's a lot of spending too much time on the internet...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Er, I:

*Draw
*Read

Wow, you're basically me.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

I'm a Nuclear Medicine Technician, so my job consists of making radioactive pharmaceuticals, getting them into patients (normally by intravenous injection), running scans on said patients, and a bunch of other stuff that needs to be done (quality assurance on pretty much everything, being health and safety guy, sorting stuff out on the computer systems...). I got this job on the basis of a BSc in the highly impressive sounding subject of Physics with Nuclear and Particle Physics and have since done loads of training, including a Masters-level course in human anatomy and physiology, I'm also currently in the middle of a postgraduate qualification / Masters degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology.

Outside of work, I read, play computer games, board games, Magic cards and normal card games. I like to cook, I spend time with my girlfriend, visit my family and run the door for a local acoustic music night.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

Buddha with a bra on wrote:@ Jumble: the main thing I find liberating about living in a busy area is that you don't need to drive to the pub. This whole city business cuts down my carbon footprint so much, I feel like a proper eco-warrior. :P

Yeah, OK. You got me there. My carbon transport footprint is pretty low living here, but that's partly because (unlike most of my neighbours) I don't believe I need to own a 3.5L Range Rover to run the kids the 150 yards to school, just because the road may have some puddles and it snowed once. It's also because my poor, 35-year-old, British Leyland-built MGB doesn't actually work most of the time, making it a very environmentally friendly car as I'm forced to ride a bike! In fact I'm considering re-defining my car as street furniture and planting a tree in it. Sorry, I've wandered off-topic....
Spoiler:

dawg1232

Postby dawg1232 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

I go to school in Carrollton, Ga. It's boring, has a drug problem, and there's not much fun there. Until Thursday-Sunday hit. Those are the party days. Georgia's dry Sunday law doesn't affect us much either. We take regular road trips to Alabama. So, I do theatre stuff, go to class, party, and that's about it.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:if you cannot choose, flip a coin
Spoiler:
If you then go "nooo not that side" you know which path you actually want

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 am UTC

Woofsie wrote:

*Draw
*Read

I'm... you're not... SHUT UP I'M ME
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I'm a Nuclear Medicine Technician, so my job consists of making radioactive pharmaceuticals, getting them into patients (normally by intravenous injection), running scans on said patients, and a bunch of other stuff that needs to be done (quality assurance on pretty much everything, being health and safety guy, sorting stuff out on the computer systems...). I got this job on the basis of a BSc in the highly impressive sounding subject of Physics with Nuclear and Particle Physics and have since done loads of training, including a Masters-level course in human anatomy and physiology, I'm also currently in the middle of a postgraduate qualification / Masters degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology.

Your job sounds awesome!

When I am not creeping around the interwebs, I do the following:

Attend University for my Bachelors of Science in Nursing (I'll have a BSN & RN designation when I'm finished).
Attend clinical practice as part of my training (usually at the hospital).
Study for something or other.
Drink beer or coffee with friends.
Go to the gym and run till I almost lose a kidney.
Play with the best dog ever, Maggie [insert heart here]
Hang with my significant other and do fun and exciting thing [insert heart here]
Yoga/Gymnastics

My life is exciting..sortof.

Durin

Postby Durin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

When not on the internet.

-I am a high school Senior (7/8 semesters done, woohoo).
-I plan on going to University of Illinois, unless MIT somehow magically works out, to study Physics.
-I do homework. Or just kind of relax.
-I sing in Choir.
-Occasionally hang out with my friends.
-Mess with my dog, JB.

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Durin wrote:-Mess with my dog, JB.

That could have been phrased a little different.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Electrical Engineering Junior, Soccer, Free diving, Parkour
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:How small? The "Town of 50,000" line that people from large metropolitan areas consider a small town, or an actual small town with a population that couldn't fill the House of Representative's floor?

Me, I grew up in a town of 7000 (county of 15,000 - surrounding towns were all smaller. The nearest town that was larger (32,000) was a half-hour away.) and moved to a similar town near Louisville before finally moving to Louisville. Frankly, I'm just as capable of being bored here as I was in my hometown. The problem wasn't stuff to do, the problem was and continues to be me not finding any of it entertaining enough to do.

Definitely the latter. But...moving from a fairly major metropolitan area to a depressed former mining town where anyone with half a brain goes to college and never comes back was a huge change. Needless to say, I left at the first opportunity.

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

I think about the websites I'm going to visit when i get on the internet.

Im doing a masters degree in chemical engineering, hoping to do an PhD next year once I graduate.
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

Jos

Postby Jos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

CueBall, ITF or WTF? Also, how long have you been training?
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:
Woofsie wrote:

*Draw
*Read

I'm... you're not... SHUT UP I'M ME

That's what YOU think.. dun dun dun!

Jos wrote:WTF

Best acronym for a martial arts organisation ever.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

Jos wrote:CueBall, ITF or WTF? Also, how long have you been training?

ITF. About 7 years. :D
Spoiler:
<3

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 am UTC

Buddha with a bra on wrote:On rural/urban: I find living in Cornwall (which comprises most of my life thus far) very boring and tedious. Life in the big bright city of Sheffield, however, is much more exciting.

I like it here :P I grew up in a small town, lived in a city for a few years for uni, then moved down to cornish south coast for more uni. I much prefer it here than in a big town. I like big skies that you only get when there aren't buildings everywhere.
Mind you, a lot of my hobbies require the outdoors to not be made of concrete, and I live within staggering distance of most of my favourite pubs.

Back on topic: I'm finishing off a PhD in biology (more specifically evolution/genetics of social behaviour and parental care in burying beetles). So currently most of my time is spent in the lab or at my computer writing up my thesis. When I have more spare time I like to play in the sea, I surf, sea swim, freedive and spearfish. In the summer I'm going to finally learn how to do SCUBA. I also do kung fu, ju jitsu and MMA and I like to cook, particularly sweet things.

danniebenedi

deleted

Postby danniebenedi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:04 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by danniebenedi on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Baby, I know.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Yep, that pretty much sums up the British culture. Except that we'd ask for paracetamol.
Spoiler:

Return to “General”