How long can you hold your breath?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

<30 sec
2%
31 sec-1min
26%
1:01-2min
35%
2.01-3min
26%
3:01-4min
3%
>4min
8%

Total votes: 65

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 am UTC

*kersploosh!* *GLUBGLUBglubglug* *bubbles*

Title sort of sums it up. I'm just curious. My personal record, set a few months ago, was exactly 3min30sec. Saw this video and it piqued my interest. (David Blaine on TEDtalks)
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Woofsie

Re: How long can you hold your breath?

Postby Woofsie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 am UTC

Cold

Postby Cold » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:12 am UTC

My record is one minute 30 seconds, even. It's my body's preposterous use of oxygen. Which is too much.
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 am UTC

It depends on what I'm doing. When swimming/diving, it's rather dangerous to push yourself and hold your breath too long (passing out and all), so I'll try to limit myself to one minute.

Sitting still and not doing much movement, I can hold my breath for about two minutes (hyperventilating first); about one minute if I don't hyperventilate. KF
~Kizyr

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:57 am UTC

Sheer will takes me to around 1:20. If in a competitive situation, I could probably push it to 1:40, but definitely not much longer.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Chris Dude70

Postby Chris Dude70 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 am UTC

About 1:20 seconds for me.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 am UTC

I wasn't sure so I just timed myself, got up to 2:02 :mrgreen:
I'm still shaking
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:It depends on what I'm doing. When swimming/diving, it's rather dangerous to push yourself and hold your breath too long (passing out and all), so I'll try to limit myself to one minute.

Yes, but if you make sure there's someone else around, floating facedown in a pool is probably the best way to hold your breath a long time. Because of how the human body automatically reacts to being submersed, pretty much everyone should be able to hold it longer that way than when completely dry.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Kizyr wrote:It depends on what I'm doing. When swimming/diving, it's rather dangerous to push yourself and hold your breath too long (passing out and all), so I'll try to limit myself to one minute.

Yes, but if you make sure there's someone else around, floating facedown in a pool is probably the best way to hold your breath a long time. Because of how the human body automatically reacts to being submersed, pretty much everyone should be able to hold it longer that way than when completely dry.

Would you mind elaborating on how the body reacts when submersed? Sounds interesting.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

As a youth, I could hold it for three and a half minutes. Drove my parents nuts at the pool.

Just hyperventilated and laid down horizontally. Over four minutes, close to four and a half.

Anybody else notice their diaphragm/chest muscles making involuntary feeble attempts to expand the chest and pull air in?
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:Would you mind elaborating on how the body reacts when submersed? Sounds interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

If I hyperventilate first, I can hold my breath for several minutes so long as I don't exert myself. But usually, the only reason I hold my breath is to get rid of hiccups, so I don't bother hyperventilating, and I can last about a minute.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
viscusanima wrote:Would you mind elaborating on how the body reacts when submersed? Sounds interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex
I'd never heard of that before. That's pretty awesome. Yay learning!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

Just pulled 2:05 at my desk without too much effort. I stopped when I did because I was slightly uncomfortable and because I relatively certain I wouldn't make it to the next category (3:01) without some serious discomfort. I didn't hyperventilate, but I did take three very deep breaths prior to my inhale.

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Just did 4:06 by first hyperventilating, but my personal best is 5 minutes. Also, I made this post just to show-off.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

The interesting thing about that diving reflex is that it seems to decrease in effectiveness as we age. There's numerous cases of small children under the age of six falling through ice on ponds or other things, and managing to survive even though they couldn't be rescued for twenty minutes or more. The remarkable thing is, they also had almost no physical damage whatsoever, and they had full brain function. This is thanks to their bodies going into that response and having blood flow limited to just the core and brain, with a very slow heartbeat. They usually look dead when they're rescued, as their skin is blue and their pulse and breathing is almost non-existent, but they can be resuscitated with warm blankets and some care.

We tend to lose our mammalian response as we age. For example, if you take a baby and put it in deep water, it will instinctively know how to hold its breath if its head goes under. The older a child gets, the less instinctive it is. My cousin's son is a good example of this, he was not taught how to swim as a really small child, and now he is terrified of going to deep and has no idea how to hold his breath underwater no matter how hard we try and teach him.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:I wouldn't make it to the next category (3:01) without some serious discomfort.

Or a pool.
---

(he/him/his)

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

I feel compelled to point out that when SCUBA diving, you should never hold your breath ever, but that's more due to the risk of expanding gas causing serious, serious lung damage.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 am UTC

My best is 5 minutes and 2 seconds.

I spent quite a while getting up to that standard though...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 am UTC

When I was younger, I could do 3:45 dry. Now I have to make an effort after 1:30. So is the poll personal best or right now?

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:44 am UTC

On land aprox 3:30 before i get board and start thinking to much about it. In the water, alot longer. I know its kinda mean but when in a pool with people i havent been in the pool or body of water before, I see how long it takes them to check if I am dead. I have freaked more than a few people out.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:44 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:

I feel compelled to point out that when SCUBA diving, you should never hold your breath ever, but that's more due to the risk of expanding gas causing serious, serious lung damage.

You shouldn't hold your breath on ascents/descents. But, there're several occasions where you do need to hold for a short while (the first that comes to mind are a couple of occasions where I've run out of air--though that was followed with a controlled ascent while exhaling). But yeah, it's worth mentioning that it's generally not a good idea to hold your breath while diving, since it's rarely necessary.

I'm certified for open water, though it's been a few years since I've dived (dove)? It was actually the PADI manual where I learned the hyperventilation trick. KF
~Kizyr

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 am UTC

Just to post for peoples safety. You should not, repeat NOT ever hyperventilate when doing shallow water diving with no SCUBA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_blackout

Several people have DIED in the location where I freedive due to this, so don't.

As another PSA involving underwater, no air you find under the surface is safe unless you brought it in your tank. NONE, EVER.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 am UTC

If you really want to see how long people hold there breath get them to hold down f* while they do it, the mor fs the bigger lung capacity

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

*note: it only works with f
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:27 am UTC

SimpleSimon wrote:If you really want to see how long people hold there breath get them to hold down f* while they do it, the mor fs the bigger lung capacity

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

*note: it only works with f

haha, Why just "f".

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Oh my god, my lungs are on fire.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 am UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:haha, Why just "f".

Well it does allow you to compare more easily than if it was a different letter. Of course, that's ignoring the fact that if we're not all doing it on the same computer, then we can't count on the repeat rate being the same, and so it's really just better to use a real time...
---

(he/him/his)

silly raptor

Postby silly raptor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 am UTC

as long as it takes.

Return to “General”