Cosplaying etc

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cosplaying

Cool
49%
Meh
30%
Lame as all hell
15%
Otuck
5%

Total votes: 92

Joeldi

Cosplaying etc

Postby Joeldi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am UTC

Cosplay general thread.
Going by the results of my search, it doesn't seem to be a very popular topic in the fora, and throughout my single up to this point life, I've pretty much derided it, but having a girlfriend who wants to do it has kinda ... increased my interest.

So what do you think of the practice? What really impressive costumes have you seen?

My actual reason for making this thread follows
Spoiler:
She wants to go as Bowser, and following a brief conversation, and ruling out Mario as too overdone, we (kinda) settled on Peach - Which certainly fits with my particular set of kinks. I know you guys here are far more open-minded than where I originally asked (/cgl/) So I thought you could maybe offer some sort of advice or support. I'm of below average but not particularly short height, of incredibly light build and have a slightly girly face. For some reason , I think with a corset and stuffed bra, and under a huge wig and with masses of make-up I could pull it off. Thoughts on M->F Cross-playing?
Gawd, I didn't realise I was so kinky. Maybe there's a better place for this whole thread in LSR
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Fossa

Re: Cosplaying etc

Postby Fossa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:55 am UTC

I worked press coverage at last years Anime Expo and Comic Con and my main job was to find cosplayers to be interviewed. Some of the costumes are truly amazing. The amount of work and detail that went into it along with how well they pull off the character... it's impressive as hell to say the least. Then of course, some are a little "meh". The thing is, even the "bad" cosplayers are still having a great time. I was a little jealous, to be honest, being an outside observer and watching so many people have such simple, unadulterated fun.

boviex

Postby boviex » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 am UTC

I think this warrants a new version of the Hot/Crazy scale (where it's okay for a woman to be crazy as long as she has a hotness level that is greater than or equal to the crazy level).

In this case, how hot she is determines how crazy a thing you are willing to do to score/maintain a relationship with her.

Kidding aside, cosplaying (even cross) seems fairly tame compared to certain other pastimes that people take part in, so go look up stuff on teh internets, and make up your mind then.

Remember that what random strangers on forums (fora?) think doesn't actually affect you. So feel free to ignore this post (at your own peril).

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 am UTC

Cosplay looks like fun, the closest I have come to it is living history groups of which I am a member and there is not much difference to that except your recreating games / tv shows etc.

I'll have to dig out some pic's of me from the last event i was involved in dressed as a Viking berserker (wolf pelt an all *fake*) there is one my dad took of me doing a axe display where I have a authentic shield and I am cutting it in half with a single swipe that was fun :D

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am UTC

Go for it. Have fun.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:My actual reason for making this thread follows
Spoiler:
She wants to go as Bowser, and following a brief conversation, and ruling out Mario as too overdone, we (kinda) settled on Peach - Which certainly fits with my particular set of kinks. I know you guys here are far more open-minded than where I originally asked (/cgl/) So I thought you could maybe offer some sort of advice or support. I'm of below average but not particularly short height, of incredibly light build and have a slightly girly face. For some reason , I think with a corset and stuffed bra, and under a huge wig and with masses of make-up I could pull it off. Thoughts on M->F Cross-playing?
Gawd, I didn't realise I was so kinky. Maybe there's a better place for this whole thread in LSR
That's... not kinky. Breaking out the costumes in the bedroom and figuring out how to work racoon tails and turtle shells into it... still isn't all that kinky either. For the record, your honor. Also, unless you're simulating a different skin coloration or some sort of gaping wound, makeup probably shouldn't be massed. /Just sayin'.

I don't know how well male-dressed-as-female cosplayers are accepted in the community, however. I can't see it being that unacceptable but.. like I said, I really have no idea.

boviex wrote:I think this warrants a new version of the Hot/Crazy scale (where it's okay for a woman to be crazy as long as she has a hotness level that is greater than or equal to the crazy level).

In this case, how hot she is determines how crazy a thing you are willing to do to score/maintain a relationship with her.
No. Just.... no.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

I'd just like to lend a vote of support to dressing up.
I haven't dressed up as characters (that requires too much specific stuff) but I do love dressing up as things.

A friend of mine does it quite often, he goes to various cons and expos and makes a costume each time.

The way I see it having an amazing costume isn't that hugely important, it's having fun in it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon graciously informed me that there was a cosplaying thread that started. I kind of wish I could do cosplaying for a living, but I've somehow settled for the less-than-spectacular political journalism. I do still cosplay though. I'm really excited, since I've finally "finalized" the list of cons I'm attending. The costumes... are still very much in the work. As a hobby, I really enjoy it (at times, I feel it's even more challenging than designing clothing/costumes), but it gets crazy expensive. And you meet a lot of interesting people (ask me about the double-my-size-glomp-me-to-death incident. I dare you). There are some pictures of me in cosplay somewhere in this fora (probably pictures).

--

The most fantastic cosplay I've ever personally seen were a trio from Trinity Blood at Otakon 2009. They (as a group) won one of the awards for Hall Competition (which is skill based. Masquerade, the other type of cosplay competition, is skit/performance based) Spoiler'ed for picture size:

Spoiler:

--

As far as cross-cosplay, I've never been a fan of it, but I know a fantastic couple that cross cosplays all the time (the dude cosplays a chick, like Zelda, and the girl cosplays a dude, like Link). They're pretty awesome.

Anyway, if you want to cosplay Peach, save money @.@ That dress is fabric-heavy. And here is a really awesome guide to hoop skirts (because you'll need one).
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Pit wrote:(ask me about the double-my-size-glomp-me-to-death incident. I dare you)
... Okay. What about the double-your-size-glomp-you-to-death incident?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Gee why thanks for asking.

It was Otakon 2008. I remember it as clear as day...

I was cosplaying Shiva from FFXII:RW.Picture here. As you can see, my body was painted pale blue/white and, as you can imagine, that took a very long time (6-10 AM). When I got to the con, I was already having a lot of trouble maneuvering around people, because I wanted to make sure my body paint didn't get on anything and (more importantly at the time) get off me.

However, there was a situation where I was standing around, waiting for a couple friends, when a rather large chick decided to RUN at me and then HUG me while shrieking. She practically jumped on me, and I was terrified, half because of the paint and half because a nearly naked girl twice my size just jumped on me. She was cosplaying Naruto Sexy-no-jutsu, which looks something like this. To imitate the "clouds" she had simply wrapped a piece of white fabric around her boobs (and used white underwear) and pasted a bunch of cotton balls to these thin pieces of fabric. And, topping it off, I couldn't see the top band of her underwear, because it was being covered by, well, her gut, which was pressed up against me for a good 5 seconds.

She then proceeded to shriek (yes, continual shrieking) about how it was amazing that I was cosplaying Shiva and that she hadn't found anyone EVER who cosplayed her and that she was so impressed that I went through the effort of painting my whole body. I would have been flattered, were I still not horrified from her previous action.

When it comes to cosplay, it's a lot of fun, but there are a lot of awkward situations. People forget that cosplayers have personal space, and that (sometimes) cosplayers do need to get from point a to point b. We are people too =/
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

Were you cosplaying at AX last year? You (though not that particular costume) look really familiar...

Oh snap, registration for this years AX is finally open. I should probably get around to that...

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:Were you cosplaying at AX last year? You (though not that particular costume) look really familiar...

Oh snap, registration for this years AX is finally open. I should probably get around to that...

I wish, I mostly do east coast conventions (so Otakon, AnimeNext, Animazement, NYAF, and others). I want to go to Anime Expo but, flight + hotel + cosplay = expensive. =(

Xoco Mint / Pit

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 am UTC

I joined my school's anime club this year, which apparently goes out to AnimeIowa every summer. Hopefully, time/money permitting, I'll be able to go! I already plan to go as Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist, just because on my giantness. Okay, I don't have the muscles (I'm closer to Gluttony), but I can make it up as I go.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 am UTC

OP, cross-playing as Peach sounds like a lot of fun. If you want some advice on making the costume there is a lot of general cross-dressing tutorials on the inter-butts, but I would stay away from just stuffing a corset to achieve a chest. It wouldn't look realistic, and Peach is pretty flat chested anyway. If you're naturally slender I think you'd look fine if you just put on the big poofy dress.

boviex wrote:I think this warrants a new version of the Hot/Crazy scale (where it's okay for a woman to be crazy as long as she has a hotness level that is greater than or equal to the crazy level).

You seem like kind of an ass.

Pit wrote:I wish, I mostly do east coast conventions (so Otakon, AnimeNext, Animazement, NYAF, and others). I want to go to Anime Expo but, flight + hotel + cosplay = expensive. =(

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be at Katsucon? I can't make it this year, but a couple of really good friends of mine help run the thing, so I can usually get in for free. =p
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Pit

Postby Pit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 am UTC

Pit wrote:I wish, I mostly do east coast conventions (so Otakon, AnimeNext, Animazement, NYAF, and others). I want to go to Anime Expo but, flight + hotel + cosplay = expensive. =(

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be at Katsucon? I can't make it this year, but a couple of really good friends of mine help run the thing, so I can usually get in for free. =p[/quote]

I wish. xD It's far too early in the year to start my "con season." Plus, I have a state/regional board meeting for an international community service club I'm also in. Which is meh, because it's going to be on Valentine's Day AND Chinese New Year.

From what it looks like, these'll be the cons I'm attending (for what it's worth):

Toracon (April 24-25), Animazement (May 28-30), AnimeNext (June 18-20), Otakon (July 30-1), NYAF (Oct 8-10) and a tentative Youmacon (Oct 28-31). I'm trying to cut back going to cons... not sure I'm doing a very good job (haha).

--

Edit: I did attend Katsucon last year. =( It was a lot of fun. It's a pretty big con for all the "regulars."

Xoco Mint / Pit

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 am UTC

If you want to know my attitude towards cosplaying, look at my avatar. :mrgreen:

Took that bad boy out to Ayacon last year with a group of girls who had all put far more effort and detail into their costumes than I. Even though I had the shabbiest costume in the group, it was still a brilliant time.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:If you want to know my attitude towards cosplaying, look at my avatar. :mrgreen:

Took that bad boy out to Ayacon last year with a group of girls who had all put far more effort and detail into their costumes than I. Even though I had the shabbiest costume in the group, it was still a brilliant time.

Stil can't believe I didn't spot you :( - any chance of a repeat at Amecon this summer?

I don't cosplay, but know plenty of people who do. It is fun seeing so many costumes, and coventions are great for seeing people.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:If you want to know my attitude towards cosplaying, look at my avatar. :mrgreen:

Stil can't believe I didn't spot you :( - any chance of a repeat at Amecon this summer?

I don't cosplay, but know plenty of people who do. It is fun seeing so many costumes, and coventions are great for seeing people.

Yeah I'll be going to Amecon. This time, I might make a costume of the Shinigami from Soul Eater. If not (I haven't even started looking for materials yet), I'll definitely bring the zoidberg costume.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

I don't look down on it, but I don't find it particularly appealing either. My opinion is thus a mixture of "meh" and "whatever rocks your boat."
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

I actually met Pit at Otakon 2009. She was dressed as Lulu from FFX and it was pretty impressive. A number of the xkcd forumites I met up with there were dressed up as well. One was Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender and one was from Left 4 Dead (don't know the character).

On whole, if you're going to a convention and you're dressed up, you're probably going to be in the majority, but be prepared to have people ask for your picture. I wouldn't worry about the gender-bending/crossplaying/(is there a technical term for this?) There's actually a phenomenon at conventions called 'Man Faye' (go forth and google it!) where they don't bother trying to look feminine at all and boldly bear body hair. It's rather awesome.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

Last I checked Man-Faye was banned from AX and SDCC among other conventions. I think that was more because of the crowds he drew and for his safety rather than people objecting to his costume, though...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

meridian wrote:I actually met Pit at Otakon 2009. She was dressed as Lulu from FFX and it was pretty impressive. A number of the xkcd forumites I met up with there were dressed up as well. One was Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender and one was from Left 4 Dead (don't know the character).

On whole, if you're going to a convention and you're dressed up, you're probably going to be in the majority, but be prepared to have people ask for your picture. I wouldn't worry about the gender-bending/crossplaying/(is there a technical term for this?) There's actually a phenomenon at conventions called 'Man Faye' (go forth and google it!) where they don't bother trying to look feminine at all and boldly bear body hair. It's rather awesome.

But Faye is hardly the only character that has hairy men dress up as her in conventions. One of the guys I knew at last Ayacon went as Haruhi, and he has enough hair to put a yeti to shame. Complete with big bushy beard. I thought it was the standard default costume for men of the hirsute persuasion.

Pit

Postby Pit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

meridian wrote:I actually met Pit at Otakon 2009. She was dressed as Lulu from FFX and it was pretty impressive. A number of the xkcd forumites I met up with there were dressed up as well. One was Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender and one was from Left 4 Dead (don't know the character).

!!! Meridian! Are you going to Otakon this year?

meridian wrote:On whole, if you're going to a convention and you're dressed up, you're probably going to be in the majority, but be prepared to have people ask for your picture. I wouldn't worry about the gender-bending/crossplaying/(is there a technical term for this?) There's actually a phenomenon at conventions called 'Man Faye' (go forth and google it!) where they don't bother trying to look feminine at all and boldly bear body hair. It's rather awesome.
The term is crossplay (or cross cosplay), and it is pretty common. Man Faye, isn't a phenomenon so much as a man who decided he really wanted to crossplay Faye and a lot of other people decided to follow it. There is also a Man Chii that roams around (he actually attended Otakon last year) and a Sailor Man (Sailor Scout but a dude?) at Youmacon. I think it's just become a "thing" for people to dress up like characters they really don't look like. The difference with that situation and cross cosplay is that in cross cosplay, you're STILL trying to look like the character (which means you're actually trying to look like the opposite gender), whereas in Man Faye/Man Chii/Man *whatever*, it's a lot of "let's give people a good laugh" or "let's see how many people we can horrify within the next hour."

Fossa wrote:Last I checked Man-Faye was banned from AX and SDCC among other conventions. I think that was more because of the crowds he drew and for his safety rather than people objecting to his costume, though...

I thought May-Faye was banned for public indecency at a family event, which I don't see as a problem with a costume like Peach. I know there are some AX pictures where his butt is way on display.

But there are a lot of people who object to certain types of costumes. For example, a girl in my Anime Club (she dresses up EGL/Sweet Lolita) doesn't get along well with me because I don't regard EGL as on-par with cosplay (I believe EGL is in a whole different section of its own that shouldn't be associated with cosplay) while she doesn't believe cosplay is worthwhile period). In another example, there was an incident at Otakon 2007 where a group of individuals threw a furry off the skywalk (which is about a story off the ground). And there are a lot of people who arn't so keen on cross cosplay. I guess the big thing is just being careful, ignoring harassments and learning whether to say yes and no when someone asks for your picture.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

EGL is not Cosplay. EGL is well and good but is distinct from and (in the context of conventions) inferior to Cosplay.

You should totally compliment her on her awesome Black Butler cosplay next time you see her, just to rile her up. XD

meridian

Postby meridian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Pit wrote:meridian wrote:
I actually met Pit at Otakon 2009. She was dressed as Lulu from FFX and it was pretty impressive. A number of the xkcd forumites I met up with there were dressed up as well. One was Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender and one was from Left 4 Dead (don't know the character).

More than likely! It seems so far away right now. We'll likely get a hotel this year, on account of the weirdness with our ride last year. And, after all those expenses are accounted for, I'll figure out what costume(s) I'm wearing!

Oh, and Man-Faye was just a reference point, really.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Pit wrote:Gee why thanks for asking....

When it comes to cosplay, it's a lot of fun, but there are a lot of awkward situations. People forget that cosplayers have personal space, and that (sometimes) cosplayers do need to get from point a to point b. We are people too =/
You can't provide a lead-in like that and not expect someone to rise to the bait.

So how common is the lack-of-personal-space problem? Granted,bad incidents are going to stick out in your mind far more than a person who yells "Nice costume" from 10 feet away as they're passing by. Do certain fandoms/costumes seem to attract more of it, or is it a fairly universal reaction to well done outfits?

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 am UTC

You can try and copy the original but they always look better.

So meh. :|

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:52 am UTC

Keeping in mind "the original" is often an animated or book character and so seeing a real lif interpretation of it is aaawesome.
Ⓞⓞ◯

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 am UTC

I used to think that cosplaying was weird, but then I was reminded at what my mom and a lot of her friends used to do: She was once a member of the SCA, but the only difference is that with cosplaying, you're merely emulating a favorite character from some TV show, movie, or comic book, usually animated, and mostly anime or manga. With the SCA, you're dressing up as someone who would have lived in the Middle Ages, and you pretty much have to come up with your own character.

You also have DragonCon and other similar gatherings, where people dress as a character from some sci-fi, horror, or fantasy movie. In most cases of those, or cosplaying, the people who dress as a character from any form of entertainment tends to act out scenes from the source of entertainment, or they might just hang out dressed as that character. Sort of like it being Halloween year-round.
PRG

An important message for you:

Pit

Postby Pit » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

meridian wrote:
Pit wrote:meridian wrote:

More than likely! It seems so far away right now. We'll likely get a hotel this year, on account of the weirdness with our ride last year. And, after all those expenses are accounted for, I'll figure out what costume(s) I'm wearing!

Oh, and Man-Faye was just a reference point, really.

:O Get a room soon, because I know they're going out fast. I have 2 rooms books... but I may get rid of one. It's a block away from the con, so let me know if you're interested!

SecondTalon wrote:
Pit wrote:Gee why thanks for asking....

You can't provide a lead-in like that and not expect someone to rise to the bait.

So how common is the lack-of-personal-space problem? Granted,bad incidents are going to stick out in your mind far more than a person who yells "Nice costume" from 10 feet away as they're passing by. Do certain fandoms/costumes seem to attract more of it, or is it a fairly universal reaction to well done outfits?

The lack-of-personal-space problem is really dependent on the person cosplaying and the popularity of the costume. Even out of costume, people tend to forget about personal space. I personally think that if you're Asian, you're simply going to get more attention. People at cons will take pictures of Asian people because they are Asian (I have not been singled out in this experience, and it has not been isolated to a single con). I would say that the problem is biggest on Saturdays, when cons get their heaviest influx of attendants, and the larger the con (irrelevant of the actual size of the con center), the more creepy people you get. I have yet to go to a con where I did not have at least 3-5 memorably creepy experiences. Ass grabbing, trying to pull my dress down, bitter people trying to rip my skirt as I'm walking, someone crying (in happiness) at my costume. I've had a lot more good experiences, but the bad ones (sadly) become more memorable because of their creepiness.

As far as attracting attention, there are several things that will draw attention:
    - Lack of clothing: The fewer pieces covering your body, the more likely you'll draw attention.
    - Race (if face can be seen) "accuracy": Being the race of the person you're cosplaying attracts attention. One of the most popular cosplays at Otakon 2009 was this spectacular Mad Eye Moody and equally spectacular Jack Sparrow. Asian people cospaying Anime characters get more attention than people in the same costume of another race (as racist as that is)
    - Popularity of character/costume: The more popular your character is, the more likely you'll get pictures taken of you... (ex: a well done Plugsuit Rei)
    - Popularity of the cosplay itself: ... unless 10 other people are wearing the same costume. (ex: Naruto)
    - Group (or not): If you're in a group, you're more likely to get recognized (as a collective group)
    - Difficulty of costume: Difficult costumes will garner more attention. This means full body paint, large wings, lots of armor, doing all of Auron's swords, crazy good designed wig, ect. Usually, people who will do difficult costumes are also people who actually compete at anime convention, so it's something that people will look out for.

If a costume is particularly difficult (large wing, 7 feet high, blue paint... to some extent), people will pay more attention but will be more aware of personal space (there are plenty of exceptions).

Xoco Mint / Pit

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:14 am UTC

What, are decapodians known for loving cosplay or something?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:

Of course, I thought this was a widely known fact?

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 am UTC

I kinda got into it by accident as I'm not really into any SF/anime/etc plus it dosn't seem to be as big over here as it is in the US or Japan. It was only at uni when I dated someone who was really into it that I started, I'd already been making fetish outfits for ages so got into it pretty quickly, I went through quite a few when I first started out, but the only ones I've still got are Chi and slave Leia, though I've been working (on and off, mostly off) on Darth Talon for ages.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
folkhero wrote:

Of course, I thought this was a widely known fact?

I'm just a simple hyper-chicken from a backwoods asteroid, news don't travel that fast 'round here. BWAAKAA! Sorry, I thought you was corn.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

Am currently putting together 3 versions of the Beauxbatons uniforms (the standard blazer uniform, formal dress, and a non-canon sexier version (miniskirt, shortened blazer, no blouse) from Harry Potter 5

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:15 am UTC

irislogic wrote:Do it. Cosplaying is fun. I did it when I was a teenager and it was still really dorky back then. Now it's a big time moneymaking machine and competitors win cash and other prizes. I've known people who have spent MORE on their costumes than the actual prize money.

And here was me thinking people do it because they enjoyed it.

EmilyR - do you ever go to stuff like MCM London Expo?

Kitacon for me in a few weeks, will be fun to see what gets cosplayed there. Not to mention how long before I start seeing FFXIII cosplay (Mind you, I probably already have and just havn't noticed).

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:EmilyR - do you ever go to stuff like MCM London Expo?

I've been to a few, generally large general purpose cons, as I'm not really into the actually stories/settings that much, so some of the niche ones are too focused on things I don't care about.

One problem I have with many cons is that the direction I'm coming from, that I got into cosplay from fetish, and that a key element for me is the exhibitionistic aspect, means that a lot of my costumes aren't very family friendly, so I'd likely get into trouble at an event with a lot of under-16s. So it's only really the slave Leia that I've worn at a few cons, plus when I finish it the vanilla version of Talon, which combine being acceptable enough for the public with being sexual enough for my tastes. My sexy Hermione (from HP) only got worn to Torture Garden, and an adult fancy dress party. When they're completed the sexy versions of Talon and Beauxbatons will be limited to late night parties at cons.

Once I've got the vanilla & sexy versions of Talon finished I'll probably go to one of the big US cons with them.

Some of the anime cons seem a lot better about this, as they seem far more accepting of tiny skirts & visible knickers, revealing tops, nipples visible through tight tops etc. But I've never really gotten into anime, and their cons seem to be pretty niche - plus I really don't have big enough boobs for it! :)

So that's a fairly long way to say - yes, but not often, and so far only really as slave leia.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

A few of the anime cons in the UK are now 18+ (Amecon is this year anyway), but yeah as you say, if you're not too into anime you're unlikely to go anyway! But we are a welcoming bunch honest (well, most of us) XD

Skewing off on a tangent, I am also going to London Expo in May, though it suffers from being absurdly crowded (and it gets worse every year) and the DLR deciding to shut down for engineering works on the weekend it's on occasionally.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 am UTC

EmilyR wrote:Am currently putting together 3 versions of the Beauxbatons uniforms (the standard blazer uniform, formal dress, and a non-canon sexier version (miniskirt, shortened blazer, no blouse) from Harry Potter 5

I think you meant Harry Potter 4? That's the one where they met the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.
PRG

An important message for you:

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
EmilyR wrote:Am currently putting together 3 versions of the Beauxbatons uniforms (the standard blazer uniform, formal dress, and a non-canon sexier version (miniskirt, shortened blazer, no blouse) from Harry Potter 5

I think you meant Harry Potter 4? That's the one where they met the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

Yeah, I suck, counting hard, HP4 not 5 :)

The standard blazer verion and the sexy version are both done, the formal dress is on hold. Having an easy costume to do successfully distracts me from the much harder Talon one, *must* stop putting off finishing that!

Return to “General”