Brain 'Malfunctioning' and Age

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BabyfootAssassin

Brain 'Malfunctioning' and Age

Postby BabyfootAssassin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

I remember when I was younger I was like a little dictionary/thesaurus. I remembered nearly everything I was taught and rarely had to look up things. I even won my school's spelling bee, etc.

I know the old saying is "use it or lose it", but how true is this? I'm on the internet reading and writing a lot, yet since I've exited my teens I've been having brain farts and forgetting words and synonyms that I used to frequently use. When I mean to look up something I forget it seconds later. When is it normal for these sorts of things to happen?
1. Receive beating until opponent falls asleep.
2. Maul opponent’s unconscious body.
3. Realize that the celebration banana was a trick and that you’ve once again been led into a cage for safe transport.

JBJ

Re: Brain 'Malfunctioning' and Age

Postby JBJ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 am UTC

When is it normal? Hopefully fairly soon in childhood. Good memory isn't just for children. Not too long ago, it was demonstrated that chimpanzees routinely outscored humans on a simple memory test. The ability to quickly memorize in humans is displaced as we mature for the ability to create abstract concepts and other more advanced cognitive abilities.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 am UTC

If it makes you feel any better my memory has always been crap but i've got along ok, so when you do finally lose it all I'm sure you'll be fine
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm UTC

I used to be like the OP with spelling and word use, not mention how comfortable I was with doing complex mathematical operations in my head. Unfortunately, since I've left Uni I seem to be getting worse and worse, which I attribute to two things primarily: 1) lack of use of these skills since leaving an academic environment, and 2) the side effects of smoking weed on a regular basis. However, I have found that it is counterbalanced by my increased general knowledge and experience of the world, which can only go on increasing throughout life. I have been getting better again recently since I've started reading a lot more again, which is reassuring.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “General”