"What should you major in?" discussion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

amirkraus

"What should you major in?" discussion

Postby amirkraus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 am UTC

Alt text:
Physics and Engineering not included because I don't even know enough about them to fake my way through a joke.

http://loldwell.com/?p=471
(I know, I know, but doesn't the class-hole reference justifies a thread? Also, I love the way it is shaded.)

CortoPasta

Re: "What should you major in?" discussion

Postby CortoPasta » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:35 am UTC

No, it doesn't. That's what http://forums.xkcd.com/viewforum.php?f=2 is for

-Pasta

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Uh, is any of this funny? And why would an economist want a shotgun?

I was hoping that this thread would be a discussion of the question "what should you major in", and how it's a question that leads to the wrong kind of thinking about our lives. But no.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:Uh, is any of this funny?

I didn't think so :(
Elvish Pillager wrote:And why would an economist want to shotgun?

I believe is what you should be asking, and I have no idea.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:And why would an economist want to shotgun?

I believe is what you should be asking, and I have no idea.

This must be correct. The original question made no sense, as everybody wants a shotgun. Even people who have shotguns want more shotguns. Shotguns are awesome.

Also, I laughed a bit.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

I like money but I don't think flowcharts are gay.

I'm so confused... :cry:
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I loved the flowchart, and am thankful it led me to the webcomic, which I also found quite funny. And it's pretty new, so it didn't take long to work through the archive. Yay!

Seriously, though, choosing a major sucks.

MidsizeBlowfish

Postby MidsizeBlowfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:48 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I like money but I don't think flowcharts are gay.

If a flowchart is gay, who is it attracted to anyway? Other flowcharts of the same gender? Do flowcharts even have genders? :P
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:

If a flowchart is gay, who is it attracted to anyway? Other flowcharts of the same gender? Do flowcharts even have genders? :P

Given that flowcharts have arrows all over the place and absolutely no crosses at all anywhere (typically), I'm going to proclaim all flowcharts male. So there. Now all flowcharts which are not asexual are gay. Er. I suspect most flowcharts are asexual, though.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 am UTC

I don't know about you, but I haven't ever seen a flowchart reproduce on its own, or as a pair or as part of a greater congregation of flowcharts. So asexual isn't really the issue. It's more "not living", I'd suspect.

Unless you can point to a living flowchart made of people wearing signs and carrying arrows marked yes and no. In that case, the sexuality of the flowchart would probably depend on the route you take through it * sexuality of the people in that route % number of those people willing to sleep with you.

So, yeah. Or no, as the case may be.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 am UTC

poxic wrote:Unless you can point to a living flowchart made of people wearing signs and carrying arrows marked yes and no. In that case, the sexuality of the flowchart would probably depend on the route you take through it * sexuality of the people in that route % number of those people willing to sleep with you.

Hey guys! Flowchart orgy at my place! For SCIENCE! :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Is communications actually a good major if you like money? I thought it was mostly useful for getting a university degree without the messy ordeal of actually gaining any sort of skill or knowledge.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:Is communications actually a good major if you like money? I thought it was mostly useful for getting a university degree without the messy ordeal of actually gaining any sort of skill or knowledge.
And further, comp sci isn't really a good major if you like free time or having a social life. Probably less so than pre-med but still ...
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Here's the shotgunning joke, explained but not necessarily condoned (i.e., don't get pissy at me, just because I understand it doesn't mean I support it):

1. Fraternities are often accused of catering to rich white guys.
2. Rich white guys are often the result of rich white parents.
3. Rich white parents often are thought to have made money in banking...and to be Jewish, which is further propagated by the relative size and success of traditionally Jewish fraternities (AEPi, etc).
4. Rich white guys want to follow in their parents' footsteps, work in their parents' firms, etc. and thus often end up going into banking.
5. Banking generally requires an Econ degree.
6. Fraternities are known for shotgunning beers.

That's "the big joke" about econ majors being successful but somewhat alcoholic.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:Here's the shotgunning joke, explained but not necessarily condoned (i.e., don't get pissy at me, just because I understand it doesn't mean I support it):

3. Rich white parents often are thought to have made money in banking...and to be Jewish, which is further propagated by the relative size and success of traditionally Jewish fraternities (AEPi, etc).
4. Rich white guys want to follow in their parents' footsteps, work in their parents' firms, etc. and thus often end up going into banking.

That's "the big joke" about econ majors being successful but somewhat alcoholic.

You're making this way too complicated:

1. Economics is often taken by people looking for an "easy" degree to go into buisness with. (Whether they're right or not is not the point, the point is that this is a very common reason to take economics)
2. People looking for an easy slide through university are interested more in the "party" aspect of university then the "academic" aspect
3. Therefore Econ majors are often interested in the "party" aspect of university

There's no Jewish stereotype involved. Or really any racial sterotype (at least not where I'm from). It's just well known that Econ majors are frat boys (of any race or creed).
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 am UTC

There is no path to physics. Clearly, would-be physicists wouldn't ask themselves this questions.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:Here's the shotgunning joke, explained but not necessarily condoned (i.e., don't get pissy at me, just because I understand it doesn't mean I support it):

You're making this way too complicated:

1. Economics is often taken by people looking for an "easy" degree to go into buisness with. (Whether they're right or not is not the point, the point is that this is a very common reason to take economics)
2. People looking for an easy slide through university are interested more in the "party" aspect of university then the "academic" aspect
3. Therefore Econ majors are often interested in the "party" aspect of university

There's no Jewish stereotype involved. Or really any racial sterotype (at least not where I'm from). It's just well known that Econ majors are frat boys (of any race or creed).
Econ is one of the more difficult majors, here. And Econ majors are not frat boys here...they're members of very specific fraternities, with very specific histories.

There's definitely the racial stereotype where I come from. I'm not a fan of it, but it's there.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Where I'm studying, economics is seen as a bit of a joke, a subject for failed mathmaticans, and boring sociologists... then again; there is a big bias against anything other than the Physical and Applied Sciences (Phys, Chem, Eng, Med, Bio-Med); even the Biologists, Zoologists, Geologists and Oceanographers get ribbed for doing a "fake degree"... Not that it means much beyond harsh teasing;
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 am UTC

I'm so confused... :cry:

I'm creative and I like money, so I'm REALLY all over the place according to this crappy chart.

Return to “General”