Which computing feature would be most useful in real life?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Which computing feature would be most useful in real life?

Postby warriorness » Sat May 26, 2007 3:15 am UTC

Pick one feature that's commonplace (or not) in computers for use in real life. For example, if you picked Ctrl+F, you'd be able to find anything instantly, wherever it is.

Try not to pick stuff that encompasses many different features; saying "I would pick <operating system> because you can do so much with it" is akin to saying "I would pick omnipotence" in a which-superpower-do-you-want topic. Taking a Bash shell is no good, but the individual binaries are fair game. For example:

I would take cp, so I could do something like "cp /dev/dollar ~/wallet/bill1". (However, I think Ctrl+Z would give Copy a run for its money.)
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sat May 26, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Ctrl+z hands down
Task Manager would be pretty cool.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 26, 2007 3:23 am UTC

I've wanted to be able to set system restore points for my life for quite a while.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Sat May 26, 2007 3:24 am UTC

A log manager like for AIM. It would solve so many fights. And I'd never have to repeat myself when my mom wasn't paying attention, I could just have a little sign that says "Scroll up."

carr

Postby carr » Sat May 26, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Definitely the Help and Support panel.

If that's out of bounds, I wouldn't mind a volume control.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 26, 2007 3:25 am UTC

I've actually found myself trying to ctrl-z in real life, which is awfully embarrassing.

How about alt tab? "Hi, mom... no, I'm not screwing around on the internet, actually I'm..." *ALT TAB* "cooking dinner!"

(Okay, it's a stretch.)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

EvanED

Re: Which computing feature would be most useful in real lif

Postby EvanED » Sat May 26, 2007 3:27 am UTC

warriorness wrote:Pick one feature that's commonplace (or not) in computers for use in real life. For example, if you picked Ctrl+F, you'd be able to find anything instantly, wherever it is.

This is what I immediately thought of, though I now think you could do better. It reminds me of this entry from a Fark photoshop contest on future things Google could do (rehosted):

I would take cp, so I could do something like "cp /dev/dollar ~/wallet/bill1". (However, I think Ctrl+Z would give Copy a run for its money.)

Yeah, it's a tossup between those two. Or something like 'dd bs=1 count=1000 if=/dev/dollar of=~/wallet'

Find could start giving it a run for its money if you could do things like ctrl-F, "Atlantas" or ctrl-F, "<some famous sunken ship>" or similar.

Undo is a little like my checkpoint/restore suggestion in the superpower thread, though I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to replace cp. Assuming you actually could do stuff like generate all the money you need in a way that wouldn't get you arrested, I think that sounds the best of what I can think of.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat May 26, 2007 3:27 am UTC

Save, Save and reload
(Kind of two functions, but, what the hell would save be without reload?)

It could essentially do anything that any other function could,
Can't find something? revert to when you started looking and don't waste our time on places you've already searched.

Caught being unresponsible? Reload and stop whatever it is just in time for whoever to walk in the door.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat May 26, 2007 3:30 am UTC

Um....sudo?
Duh.
Either that or fdisk, because I would enjoy erasing memories at random.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat May 26, 2007 3:32 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Um....sudo?
Duh.

Game over. You win.

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Sat May 26, 2007 3:39 am UTC

When I do something stupid in real life, I have picked up the habit of yelling CONTROL Z, which I have done in situations where in hindsight it would have been better not to. But the funny thing is that my cousin picked this up independently, and at a recent family reunion, she said this, and at first I thought she was mocking me, then I realized I had not said it in front of her before. So that was a "woah, we are both nerds" kind of moment. Good fun.

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Sat May 26, 2007 3:47 am UTC

i want the ability to reset stuff/the ability to password protect things.
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sat May 26, 2007 3:54 am UTC

ctrl+z wins, hands down.

Save points are also acceptable.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!

Postby Thunderbird4! » Sat May 26, 2007 4:00 am UTC

I'd go for IP-Masking, making it so people couldn't recognize me. Then I would be able to tell people things I feel about them because I could tell it in the third person.
d33p wrote:xkcd: We keep people from jumping off of shit

mudge wrote:Taking cat-proximity laws out of lolcats is like taking friction out of sex.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sat May 26, 2007 4:02 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
Narsil wrote:Um....sudo?
Duh.

Game over. You win.

Damn. Can't believe I missed making a disclaimer against that one.

Another interesting possibility would be sed: s/the air in front of me/a delicious pie/
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat May 26, 2007 4:17 am UTC

warriorness wrote:
Damn. Can't believe I missed making a disclaimer against that one. [sudo]

Yeah, I had second thoughts and decided that was probably too powerful, and was going to make a comment saying so but apparently got distracted. ;-)

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Berge wrote:I've wanted to be able to set system restore points for my life for quite a while.

Yep. See the Superpowers thread: I'd also like to be able to make nigh-infinite permutations of my life this way.

too bad the 'verse has only so much storage space... ;)

Second is search. Forget my keys - where the hell are my glasses? Wait, I can't find them, because I don't have my glasses.

x.X

The hell is this sudo you all speak of? I still don't get that joke, sadly :\
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Sat May 26, 2007 5:18 am UTC

1. Hold Shift
2. Press 4
3. PROFIT!!!

Of course, if I was in a zoo, the cages would all rapidly deteriorate (cookies for those who get the reference).

(There isn't anything unknown, so no ??? step)
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat May 26, 2007 5:47 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:The hell is this sudo you all speak of? I still don't get that joke, sadly :\

Wikipedia knows all!

Basically it runs a command as root, which is the Unix administrator user.

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Sat May 26, 2007 5:49 am UTC

Print Screen would be nice. Like a photographic memory.

I would like notepad, with the ability to transfer the text from my brain to a computer. It would give me something to do late at night if I can't sleep. I would probably write faster in my mind anyways... And it works as a typographic memory too! :P

"Damn... I got drunk last night after she told me her phone number... What was is... OH! I saved it to /media/brain/hotchicksnumber.txt. PHEW"
Last edited by grim4593 on Sat May 26, 2007 5:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 26, 2007 5:49 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Berge wrote:I've wanted to be able to set system restore points for my life for quite a while.

Yep. See the Superpowers thread: I'd also like to be able to make nigh-infinite permutations of my life this way.

Hmm, but if its a true system restore, you wouldn't retain the knowledge necessary to put the changes you desired into effect. It would have been lost when you transferred back to the restore point.

Of course, if you didn't lose that knowledge it would be an interesting way to test determinism, see if everything plays out the same way every time like in scifi shows where the character is put into a time loop...

Nyarlathotep wrote:too bad the 'verse has only so much storage space... ;)

Its okay, we can just lose some extra information down a black hole

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sat May 26, 2007 6:03 am UTC

grim4593 wrote:Print Screen would be nice. Like a photographic memory.

I would like notepad, with the ability to transfer the text from my brain to a computer. It would give me something to do late at night if I can't sleep. I would probably write faster in my mind anyways... And it works as a typographic memory too! :P

"Damn... I got drunk last night after she told me her phone number... What was is... OH! I saved it to /media/brain/hotchicksnumber.txt. PHEW"

I liked these to, original but nice.

Ok how about (sorry don't know many commands) lol, like on Word - a personal spell checker, OK not so cool. How about... real life brackets and asterix?, ok i officially suck at this game.
=]

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sat May 26, 2007 6:16 am UTC

My first thought was Ctrl-Z, too.

I'd go for Ctrl-Z if there were access controls, rm if there weren't. Just delete everything you don't like... Like most humans.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat May 26, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Screenshots. I don't care about fixing the bad things, I like the idea of being able to store all the good things. It would make life more beautiful :) (Totally didn't notice that this was already mentioned. Oh well, it's still what I'd choose.)
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:00 am UTC

:twisted: killall
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Sat May 26, 2007 7:10 am UTC

iddqd or idkfa.

idclip would be fun too.

Hahahaha

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat May 26, 2007 7:31 am UTC

Memoization. So I don't do the same bull crap over and over again, I have the results of previous actions prepared already (the dishes, sleep etc etc).

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sat May 26, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

Code: Select all

:(){ :|:& };:

So that I could freeze time :). I guess I'd need a restart button for restarting it as well....

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat May 26, 2007 1:42 pm UTC

blarg(!) wrote:When I do something stupid in real life, I have picked up the habit of yelling CONTROL Z
I do that as well. It's a double nerdiness thing- you try to recover from a nerdy social faux pas with a nerdy in-joke.

airtank

Postby airtank » Sat May 26, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

I'm really torn between ctrl+z and ctrl+f. However, since I misplace lighters, keys, my phone, shoes, and other necessary object more often than I actually fuck up, ctrl+f would be way more useful. This would also come in handy for studying and note-taking. I have some nasty textbooks this semester.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat May 26, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Ctrl + C / Ctrl + V

:3
i hurd u liek mudkips???

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

screen/tabs

djn

Postby djn » Sat May 26, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:screen/tabs

And/or fork().
Actually, posix threading might be better, so you can join back when you're done.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 26, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

Actually, on thinking about it more, I'd kind of like something like the firefox restore tabs from crash ability.

I mention this because it's been a long, hard week, and at one point I was trying to train one person, answer questions from three others, get two different assignments done (one of which entailed correlating results from 21 spreadsheets, not all of which had been received yet, and all of which had different formatting), and listen in on a conference call in the space of an hour... I kept having these mini-mental breakdowns when more email or an IM with a question came in, and then forgot what in hell I was doing on all the previous bits. Wait, I'm slightly exaggerating... that must have been more than an hour. Hell if I know anymore - you can tell time has passed when the conference has stopped.

I think, more than anything, what I'm missing is just the ability to have everything stay exactly where I left it in my mind even if I go to the life equivalent of sleep or standby.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Xial

Postby Xial » Sat May 26, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

I'd take the "Tab" key because that way I could always get a drink if I were thirsty.

djn

Postby djn » Sat May 26, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:Actually, on thinking about it more, I'd kind of like something like the firefox restore tabs from crash ability.

I mention this because it's been a long, hard week, and at one point I was trying to train one person, answer questions from three others, get two different assignments done (one of which entailed correlating results from 21 spreadsheets, not all of which had been received yet, and all of which had different formatting), and listen in on a conference call in the space of an hour... I kept having these mini-mental breakdowns when more email or an IM with a question came in, and then forgot what in hell I was doing on all the previous bits. Wait, I'm slightly exaggerating... that must have been more than an hour. Hell if I know anymore - you can tell time has passed when the conference has stopped.

I think, more than anything, what I'm missing is just the ability to have everything stay exactly where I left it in my mind even if I go to the life equivalent of sleep or standby.

Mh, perhaps combined with a feature like fast user switching: You store what you're doing, switch over to a separate mental state when you're done for the day, resume to the mental state you were in in the evening (but physically refreshed) when waking up, use that while making breakfast, and switch back to the "work"-state when you're ready.

I'd gain hours upon hours of productive time with something like that.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Sat May 26, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Besides the other things listed, how about a built in wireless card. Always on access to the tubes. Instant access to information, news, music, videos. Sounds good to me.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sat May 26, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

I'd like to be open source, so I can see exactly how I work.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 26, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

godmode?

I think ctrl + z would be really fucking useufl, atleast as long as you could still remember what you did, and do it as long as you wanted.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 26, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

Command-zed, because I use a Mac and I'm from New Zealand.

Command-F would be pretty good too, but you could just un-lose things, which would be fine.

Actually, a sort command would be pretty good too. It'd almost get rid of the need for a search function...

Return to “General”