Rent in your area

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Endless Mike

Rent in your area

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

I read a local forum where people moving to the area will fairly regularly post threads asking for help finding an apartment to rent. Since this is a fairly major metropolitan area, renting is more common than buying for single people under, say, 30 (and buyers are usually out in the suburbs) since it's cheaper (as an aside, I think I read that people will typically pay up to 10% more for the luxury of owning a home similar to a rental). The thing is, these people seem to generally significantly underestimate rental. This popped up today:
I'm considering accepting a job offer in DC that would have me moving down from NYC area in a month. I don't even know where to begin!
What I'm looking for:

1) a very nice "luxury" rental building or a condo building where I rent from the owner. Specifically I'd like the place I live in to have a full service gym, a pool, nice interiours, washer dryer in the apartment, a balcony option. Something on the water/river would be nice though not required (I'm semi-spoiled living off of the Hudson river now with a nice doorman building and i love being on the water). Really clean, well maintained building. I never want to see a roach :)
2) Ideally renting a 1 bedroom in the $1100 -1500 range. (cost of living in DC area should be cheaper right?)
3) A nice neighbourhood, on the metro line. Job is at Dupont Circle, so red line or an easily connecting line is needed as I won't regularly have a car. I'm open to living outside of DC in VA or MD, if that's what it takes to get a nice neighbourhood, and the kind of place I'm looking for within my price range.

To get everything she wants, she would pretty much have to double her budget. For instance, my friend lives in a small studio in Dupont Circle (which means nothing to most people here, but it's a nice neighborhood in DC, but not the nicest) and pays something like $1200/month which would be higher if he moved in today (due to DC's laws that cap rent increase at something like 8% per year). I'm not 100% sure of what amenities he has, but I don't think he has a gym. So this got me thinking about what people around the country and world pay.

I rent half of a two bedroom, one bathroom apartment in a neighborhood about eight minutes from the nearest Metro stop. No gym, no pool, and a washer and dryer shared among two of the three units, although we do have off-street parking and a small back yard. The total for my unit is $1950/month with no included utilities.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Rent in your area

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Back when I rented, in a nearby town (about a 30 minute drive from the outskirts of Louisville), rent was $450ish for a two bedroom apartment with a dishwasher, I forget the square footage but probably around 1000, complex had a pool and a laundry room (though the laundry area was kinda small.)

In Louisville proper, we lucked in to our rental, but a similar 2 bedroom apartment, complex with a similar pool plus an added gym (big enough for about three people at a time), washer&Drier hookups, and dishwasher would have run on the upper end of 500 to the low end of 600. We lucked in to some deal they had on townhouses, so had a bit more square footage for the same price and had that locked in as they could only raise the rent a certain percentage a year, which they did to the fullest extent they could every year.

But that's not in the trendy, happening areas of town. Those, for similar square footage and so forth, you're looking at +$300-600 which is getting to the point where you might as well just rent a house.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

I guess I should have added some more places I've lived. When I was in Scranton, PA, I paid $625/month for a 1-bedroom "luxury" apartment, although I don't really believe that having lived (and living) in nicer places. Had I time to actually look, I probably could have saved $100-200 per month without much effort.

In college in Gainesville, FL, the condo I lived in was $900/month for a 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom townhouse. (We also had four or five people living there depending on year which helped a lot.) I miss that apartment.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

Rent is 600$ for me in a nice single bedroom apartment in the suburbs of Little Rock (small city). Gym, pool, washer/dryer shared by 5 others.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

When I lived in Fayetteville Arkansas, I was paying $495 for a 2-story townhome. About 1200 sq feet, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath.

Where I'm at now in Olathe Kansas (KC metro area), I'm living in something similar, maybe a little smaller, but with a garage. Paying $875 (that includes extra pet rent for 2 cats).
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

I will be paying $530/month for a subarb area (and that's on the cheep side...) it would be $600 if I wanted a washer/dryer in unit but I decided I'd rather go to the laundrymat 2x/month or so (I have clothes I could last 2 weeks) and save the $70/month. One bedroom, 800 sq ft.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

I live in a tiny university town in Wales, UK. My and SO pay £250 rent each, electric and internet is on top of that. We have two bedrooms (one with a king bed, one with a double bed), bathroom, kitchen. There's no bad areas of the town I live in (its too small), but it's conveniently placed for uni and town.

When I lived in Loughborough I shared a 6 bedroom house with 5 other people, we paid £330 a month each, that was all bills inclusive. Four double bed rooms, 2 singles, 2 bathrooms, with a washer.

Admittedly these are both landlords that cater almost entirely to students so 'proper' houses may be more expensive :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

When I look at these rent prices above, I have to remind myself that they probably aren't in Canadian dollars, as those always seem to be larger for some reason (minimum wage is $8 or more depending on province, so I guess that's something).

I'm trying to find a new place on Vancouver Island, BC, and the rents are $700 and up. This is usually a one bedroom, or at most two bedroom deal, and most often something's included in the rent, like heat or electricity or whatever, but sometimes not. I'm starting to feel like being a unpaid undergrad student isn't the best paying position.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:When I lived in Fayetteville Arkansas, I was paying $495 for a 2-story townhome. About 1200 sq feet, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I've lived in both the San Francisco Bay Area & Los Angeles Area, so this left me completely MINDBLOWN. My friend is renting a glorified basement in a town some ~20 miles away from San Francisco. It's ~200 sq. feet with little wall insulation, thin carpet layered on cold concrete floor, and no windows. On top of that, others need to go into her room to do their laundry. And that's ~$600 a month.

...Mindblown.
...It made more sense in my head.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am UTC

I think you can rent a decent (~500 sq ft) apartment here for $600-700, but hardly anyone lives in apartments - I'm in the 'burbs.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am UTC

I'm in a shitty studio (heat, water and gas included: pay for electricity) in Northern Chicago (on a transit line) for $550 a month. There is a laundry room, but it's such a mess that we carry our laundry to a nearby coin laundry. There is no gym, pool, or balcony.

About 6 years ago, I was paying $475 for a one bedroom with wooden floors (water included: pay for electricity) in Jacksonville, FL. It was old and not in the greatest repair, but it was in better repair than my current studio.

In the interim, I was in student housing at UCI in Irvine, California (Orange County, in Southern California, south of LA) paying $980 a month (water and internet included; pay for electricity) for a one bedroom. It was a brand new complex, so it was a lot safer for the cats than other two apartments (both of which had places I had to repair to keep the cats out of the walls).

The poster you quoted does appear to have an unrealistic expectation of how cheap DC is, but if she's living in New York and fulfilling her stated needs, I expect she'll go up the rent scale to have her needs met instead of going down the rent scale to lower her rent.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:The poster you quoted does appear to have an unrealistic expectation of how cheap DC is, but if she's living in New York and fulfilling her stated needs, I expect she'll go up the rent scale to have her needs met instead of going down the rent scale to lower her rent.

As the thread went on, there came a lot of thoughts about the two cities. For instance, while NYC has been hit somewhat hard by the recession, the DC area has weathered it pretty well since the biggest employers here are the federal government and federal contractors. Outside of the District proper, the unemployment rate is well below the national average (although it's higher in the District). Not to mention some of the wealthiest counties in the country are around DC. On top of that, DC has building height restrictions that NYC is lacking (at least to the same extent), meaning space is going to be at a premium. This is somewhat helped by the fact that surrounding areas do not have these. For instance, in Arlington, VA, directly across the river from DC, are many tall buildings (tall in comparison to DC, anyway). There's also the fact that while Manhattan may be expensive, the other four boroughs aren't quite so much. Ultimately, if DC is cheaper, it's not significantly so.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

I have the impression that, if you're willing to live in a poor neighborhood in an apartment in bad repair, you can live much more cheaply in DC than in NYC. In NYC, you still have to pay through the nose for a bedroom with no electricity and a shared bathroom for 20+ people, with rats and cockroaches everywhere. (I get this idea from my spouse's description of his living situation in NYC in 2001.) I think that the extremely high end housing also goes higher in NYC than in DC. But for run-of-the-mill "luxury" apartment living, I suspect that NYC and DC are pretty simliar.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

In a bad neighborhood in LA I rented a studio for $950 a month. Street parking only, trash pickup included but nothing else. Laundromat in building (4 washers, 8 dryers for something on the order of 48 units).

I currently rent a two bedroom, two bath for $3250 a month in a nicer (but not really that nice) neighborhood in West LA. Water and trash included at this one, one washer/dryer shared between 5 units and 3 parking spaces.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:43 am UTC

I remember when my ex-roommate and I rented our apartment back in 2002, the average price in Georgia was $600-700 for a 2-bedroom/2-bath, with washer/dryer hook-ups, auto dishwasher, and garbage disposal, which were all standard. Amenities included a swimming pool, on-site laundry facility (with only 4 washers and 8 dryers), and gym (had only an exercise bike and a weight-lifting machine). For a more luxurious apartment than what we had, it would have run between $800 to $1,000 a month, probably even more now.
PRG

An important message for you:

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 am UTC

I live in Brooklyn, NYC, pretty damn far out of Manhattan. I pay $875 for a 3 room studio (separate kitchen). However, NY (city? state?) law is that heat and hot water have to be included in the rent, so I'm sure that pushes it a little higher. I pay for electricity and cooking gas separately. Those plus internet are just about $100/month.

When I was living in Manhattan, I shared a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 other girls. Yeah. 3 in one room, 2 in the other. And it was something like $775/month each, though electricity and cooking gas were included.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

I'm in a student house, so pricing probably doesn't reflect anything that's not student housing...but in a 7 bedroom house, I pay about £350/month, all bills included. We live on the outer edge of town -- would have been a bit more expensive to live properly in town. (Next year we're living back in college, and it will be more like £400 or £450 a month, I think. Which is kind of extortionate and we aren't looking forward to that cost, but we didn't get very far with house hunting. En-suite bedrooms, kitchen shared between a flat of 6.)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

DeathIsTheEnd

Postby DeathIsTheEnd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Well, I can only talk as a student so that might not fully represent rent in my area, but I'll give it a go anyway. Me and 5 others are going to be paying £400 inc. water/electricity/etc for a 6 bedroom house - 2 singles, 4 doubles - sitting room, kitchen and 2 bathrooms. It's a shame being a student costs so much...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

24 m^2 (250 ft^2) apartment. Single bedroom. Pretty scant on the luxuries. Power and water included in the rent. ~$200 a month.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:When I look at these rent prices above, I have to remind myself that they probably aren't in Canadian dollars, as those always seem to be larger for some reason (minimum wage is $8 or more depending on province, so I guess that's something).

I'm trying to find a new place on Vancouver Island, BC, and the rents are $700 and up. This is usually a one bedroom, or at most two bedroom deal, and most often something's included in the rent, like heat or electricity or whatever, but sometimes not. I'm starting to feel like being a unpaid undergrad student isn't the best paying position.

From what I've heard Vancouver is quite pricey in terms of rent if you want to be on the island.

When I was in University I had a small 4 1/2 (2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom) place about 5 min walk from McGill University in Montreal (pretty much right in the middle of the downtown core) and it was $840/month all utilities included. I'm currently living about a 15 min bus ride from downtown in Montreal in 3 1/2 which is probably bigger than my old 4 1/2 was and am paying $600/month + electricity (~$35/month).

Some of the 1 1/2 places (more or less a studio) in Montreal were ~$500/month if they were right downtown. As you get further away from downtown the price drops pretty dramatically both in terms of rental and buying.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

$400 all in, each, for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse (with 3 of us here). Nice area, but new, on the edge of town, and not close to much. It's also a pretty good deal - looking today it would probably be about $550 each. Housing prices here haven't fallen a whole lot here in Saskatoon.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:I currently rent a two bedroom, two bath for $3250 a month in a nicer (but not really that nice) neighborhood in West LA. Water and trash included at this one, one washer/dryer shared between 5 units and 3 parking spaces.

Just out of curiosity, are other expenses in your area cheaper to make up for those prices, or is LA just that much more than my little town?

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

LA has several gajillion people, and there is no room for urban sprawl, given its location between mountains and the Pacific Ocean.

In other words, yes, housing costs are going to be mind-boggling high there.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:
Fossa wrote:I currently rent a two bedroom, two bath for $3250 a month in a nicer (but not really that nice) neighborhood in West LA. Water and trash included at this one, one washer/dryer shared between 5 units and 3 parking spaces.

Just out of curiosity, are other expenses in your area cheaper to make up for those prices, or is LA just that much more than my little town?

I can only speak for DC but hahahahahaha NO. Seriously, as I was thinking on this subject, I realized that one my last trip to NYC I spent *less* to eat and drink than I do here.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
psychosomaticism wrote:When I look at these rent prices above, I have to remind myself that they probably aren't in Canadian dollars, as those always seem to be larger for some reason (minimum wage is $8 or more depending on province, so I guess that's something).

From what I've heard Vancouver is quite pricey in terms of rent if you want to be on the island.

Yeah, Vancouver is pricey, but Vancouver Island is a bit removed from Vancouver (related in name only, basically). Still, I guess I'm paying for the location too: we had one single bout of snow of less than a foot the entire winter, and that was chaos.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Ann Arbor, MI: $675, apartment complex, 800 sq. ft., one bed, one bath, coin laundry in the basement.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 am UTC

I'm in Arlington, VA, and commute into DC for work (our DC office is actually near Dupont Circle). I live about a block away from the Crystal City stop, in an efficiency, and my rent is around $1400 (not including utilities or parking).

1) a very nice "luxury" rental building or a condo building where I rent from the owner. Specifically I'd like the place I live in to have a full service gym, a pool, nice interiours, washer dryer in the apartment, a balcony option. Something on the water/river would be nice though not required (I'm semi-spoiled living off of the Hudson river now with a nice doorman building and i love being on the water). Really clean, well maintained building. I never want to see a roach
2) Ideally renting a 1 bedroom in the $1100 -1500 range. (cost of living in DC area should be cheaper right?)
3) A nice neighbourhood, on the metro line. Job is at Dupont Circle, so red line or an easily connecting line is needed as I won't regularly have a car. I'm open to living outside of DC in VA or MD, if that's what it takes to get a nice neighbourhood, and the kind of place I'm looking for within my price range.

Given condition (1) and (3), you're looking at anywhere from $1800 to $3500. The price in (2) is wholly unrealistic for this area, given what she wants.

If you want a cheap 1-bedroom apartment with all those amenities, look in areas that are harder to commute to/from... Shirlington, Chantilly, Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, may have something that fits that budget (that's all Northern VA; I'm not as familiar with Maryland).

My suggestion would be for her to (a) drop her expectation of luxury, and then she could find an efficiency under $1500 that's walking/biking distance from a Metro, or (b) find 1-3 roommates. KF
~Kizyr

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 am UTC

I share rent on a (Big) five person house by the sea (fully furnished and maintained) for around £200 a month. If I was to rent or lease the same house as a single unit unfurnished I'd be looking at £580-700 a month.

This is the view from the hill behind my house, I feel lucky to have it.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
rigwarl wrote:

I can only speak for DC but hahahahahaha NO. Seriously, as I was thinking on this subject, I realized that one my last trip to NYC I spent *less* to eat and drink than I do here.

DC restaurant tax being crazy high does not help. It's another good reason I don't live in that area anymore.

I'm in Boston - I've variously had places that were from $575/mo to $700/mo, but in all cases I was splitting a multi-room apartment with roommates. The $700/mo was a full floor of a house with two bedrooms (and a full living room and dining room) about a 15-20 minute walk from one of the good mass transit stations.

When I lived in Chicago I was in a comparable place, but with one added (smaller) bedroom - that cost me $500/mo. Granted that was 5 years ago, though.

When I lived in Arlington, VA, I paid $700/mo for a third of a two bedroom apartment that was not particularly nice, but was directly across the bridge from Georgetown, and was right near Rosslyn on the blue/orange line. That was 6 years ago.

So yeah. DC housing does seem comparatively expensive from my experience, as well.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:46 am UTC

2400. :|

Temp housing.... but good grief!

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Yeah, Vancouver is pricey, but Vancouver Island is a bit removed from Vancouver (related in name only, basically). Still, I guess I'm paying for the location too: we had one single bout of snow of less than a foot the entire winter, and that was chaos.

Hmm yeah was confusing Vancouver and Victoria. I was fairly sure Victoria was expensive to live in. Then again, almost any bigger city will be expensive, compared to something smaller, for the most part.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

I'm renting a medium size (by UK standards, which means tiny by US standards) 3 bed 1.5 bath detached house in Crawley (about 45 mins by train from London, right next to Gatwick Airport) for £800, unfurnished, not including any bills. And that's a complete bargain, if you ask me - I'd expect to be paying at least £100 more per month for what we've got, but don't tell my landlord that. Anyway, that works out at about $1200 dollars, I guess.

Back when I lived in central London, I used to rent tiny box-rooms (literally big enough for a bed, tiny kitchenette and a desk, probably not much over 100 sqft) in apartment buildings with a shared bathroom for £100-120 a week, which is about £440 ($660) per month, and I think the small 2 bed 1 bath flat my sister and I shared for a year was about £260 a week, or ~£1100 (~$1650) a month. All excluding bills, of course.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

Yep, London is expensive. I live in a formerly very dodgy, currently slightly dodgy neighbourhood, on a nice street, in a nice 1 bedroom apartment. £1100 per month. That's about $1700 US. Previously, I've lived in a fairly crap studio apartment, that one cost £600 per month, and a lovely shared house for £680 per month.

JGefell

Postby JGefell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

Buffalo - 1 bdrm. 650 sq ft, water, garbage and 2 off street parking spots included - $500
great neighborhood, just north of the city
walking distance from library, middle & high schools
lots of little shops nearby
heat ~ $100 (and we keep it at about 16o)
Run fast, make them chase you.

Ave

Postby Ave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

I'd kill to have these rents. I live in Connecticut, and am trying to find an apartment on the NY line. Studio/efficiency is $750 at an absolute minimum (not including utilities, usually $100 more if W/D hookup), and knowing what the neighborhood (or more specifically the streets/traffic) is like is definitely not worth that much. I'm trying to find a non-studio 1-Bedroom (don't care much for community/amenities as long as it's clean and not about to fall apart) for myself and my boyfriend, and my budget is something like $800/mo or $950 if utilities are included. Pickings are slim. Funnily enough if I were to go right over the border into NY, rents are cheaper, but it would conflict with my boyfriend's job.

However in the middle of the state, where I currently am (about 20-30 mins from the state capitol) you can get an awesome apartment for much less. For instance I was living with my mom and sister in one half of a duplex--2bed, 2bath, kitchen, dining, living room seperate, new carpeting, basement, garage and a deck out back for $750/mo. And they let us bring our dog.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

Ave wrote:I'd kill to have these rents. I live in Connecticut, and am trying to find an apartment on the NY line. Studio/efficiency is $750 at an absolute minimum (not including utilities, usually $100 more if W/D hookup), and knowing what the neighborhood (or more specifically the streets/traffic) is like is definitely not worth that much. I'm trying to find a non-studio 1-Bedroom (don't care much for community/amenities as long as it's clean and not about to fall apart) for myself and my boyfriend, and my budget is something like $800/mo or $950 if utilities are included. Pickings are slim. Funnily enough if I were to go right over the border into NY, rents are cheaper, but it would conflict with my boyfriend's job.

However in the middle of the state, where I currently am (about 20-30 mins from the state capitol) you can get an awesome apartment for much less. For instance I was living with my mom and sister in one half of a duplex--2bed, 2bath, kitchen, dining, living room seperate, new carpeting, basement, garage and a deck out back for $750/mo. And they let us bring our dog.

Where in CT? I grew up in Norwalk, and yeah, I know how much rent there sucks. When my sister moved out she went north to Monroe since rent anywhere within 15 miles of the coast is stupid.

Things in LA are actually worse if you don't want to live in a neighborhood where police helicopters routinely shine their spotlight in your window at 2am (wish I was making this up). My old place was affordable, but so, so awful.

Van

Postby Van » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:36 am UTC

The first place I actually remember the rent of was a 3 bedroom condo on the Florida panhandle, which was ~$850ish? and directly on the beach. This was up until '03ish.

Then I shared an apartment in Golden CO, probably half a mile from the School of Mines, which was $700 for 1 bedroom, which was actually rather cheap for the area.

Right now, I'm living about about 15-20 minutes (via car) from the heart of Denver, and paying $435 for a one bedroom basement apartment. It's not part of a complex, so I don't get anything fancy, though water and trash are included in the rent. It's just about directly on a major street and bus lines, but at least 2 miles to anything major (colleges, highways, downtown, malls, etc). It's a pretty nice place, especially for the cost, though I wouldn't mind having some windows... and I'd kill to repaint the walls something other than green and brown.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Return to “General”