With passion...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

themonk

With passion...

Postby themonk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

So do you have a passion? What do you love to do in your free time? Or maybe it's your job, i.e. you do not do it in your "free time"? How did you find passion?

Music, athletics, writing or art, coding, debate? List could on, but is there a certain niche you love? :lol:

I for one do a lot of photography and art related to it. Now, I can't afford a fancy camera, but I still [try to] get some nice photographs (you don't always need the most expensive equipment). I travel a lot and take a lot of photographs from that, which usually inspire me later. I also use photoshop a lot which ties into the photography - mainly for photomanipulation. Won't plug my site photography/art here

I love it, but for now it's more of a hobby, rather than a passion. I want to discover a talent that I have or a passion that I can develop and pursue which I can maybe tie into engineering (more specifically chemical engineering - long shot, eh?). So, I post this here to see what other peoples' passions were as well as to see if anything inspires me. I've been going through sites and pages similar to this one to see if I come with ideas mainly because I believe I could be starting a job that I could later hate and may need to find something different to do.
- click for the One Sentence Project (OSP). (Nothing to do with Oral Sodium Phospate)

Fossa

Re: With passion...

Postby Fossa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

Growing up, I was always a pretty active kid. My parents had a habit of scolding me by saying that "the world isn't a jungle gym". It seems I had a habit of climbing anything and everything, though frankly they're partially to blame. I remember swinging from a halyard halfway up the mast of a sailboat, moving from stanchion to stanchion to shouts of encouragement from below without a care in the world.

It's funny really; looking back a lot of my memories of my childhood and my hometown are pretty muddled, but I can remember every branch of the old tree in my backyard as clear as if I was climbing it now.

Of course, I grew up much like you'd expect. I put away childish things and moved on. I went to a private high school. I went to a public university. I got a degree in engineering and an unrelated job for a huge corporation. Along the way, though, something happened.

It was a few weeks after graduation from university. I'm still not entirely sure what possessed me, but I opened up Google and searched for "parkour" and "los angeles". Of course, the first entry was a group called "parkour los angeles" and three days later I was driving to Downtown LA to meet up with a group of strangers.

That was almost two years ago.

Parkour is my one passion in life these days. When I'm not training or absurdly sore from training, I'm usually thinking about it. It's more than just exercise, it's more than just fun. I'm getting in touch with a baser yet innocent part of my nature, and day by day rediscovering what I am capable of.

It's shifted my whole perspective. The word "obstacle" has taken on new meaning. Moreover, it has put me in touch with some of the most amazing people I count myself lucky to know. It has done more to define who I am than any individual or institution in the 22 years before I discovered it. And to think, it all started with a click.

MidsizeBlowfish

Postby MidsizeBlowfish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 am UTC

Skiing. My aunt took me regularly starting at 6 and I love it. I love my skis more than I love most people, unfortunately I'm in grad school in Illinois now--also known as the flattest place on Earth, but I take every opportunity I can to ski when visiting my family. In my mind nothing beats carving...riding one edge as long as possible and then hopping over to the other one. Its a hell of a workout for the thighs but a really amazing thing to be able to do.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Music. Without question, this is that one thing in my life without which I wouldn't be me. When I don't have my iPod with me, I feel like someone chopped off my right hand. I write songs, I sing and sometimes play my keyboard. I've done a couple of shows with my band but I never want to turn this into a profession. I don't want anything monetary out of my music. I've heard a lot about turning your passion into your profession but I don't really agree with that school of thought. I sing because it makes me happy. I sing because of that feeling I get when I sing. My maa tells me that I started to sing even before I began to speak too many words. If I'd hear something play on the radio, I'd try to sing it in exactly like how it was sung. Even now, I sing more than I talk I guess. And not a day goes by where I don't listen to music. Each time I listen, I hear something different, yet deep.

Sigh. I wonder if love is better than music :P
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Amie wrote:Music. Without question, this is that one thing in my life without which I wouldn't be me.

I can relate to this.
Cycling is another one of my passions, although not cycling for the sake of cycling.
I've developed an obsession of travelling to different countries by bike, it's one of the best feelings in the world to wake up in your tent one morning, crawl outside and be hit with an incredible sunrise, hundreds of miles from civilisation.

now it's 5AM so back to my coursework :(
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:39 am UTC

I wish I could say science, and probably one day I will, but I feel like as a student I just haven't done enough on my own to qualify it as a passion proper.

I do like reading though. I was reading at a really young age, and was always (it seemed) ahead of my classmates with literature and the like, large books in elementary school, stuff like that. In the past month, I think I've read on average two novels a week on top of schoolwork. That being said, I'd hesitate to call it a passion, because it isn't something I do with reckless abandon, nor do I go crazy without; I just ain't much of a passionate person, I suppose, but then maybe moderation is my passion. ("Moderation itself can be a kind of extreme...")

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 am UTC

Reading, video games , fishing, browsing the internet, I'm pretty passionate about all of those.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

MidsizeBlowfish wrote:I love my skis more than I love most people, unfortunately I'm in grad school in Illinois now--also known as the flattest place on Earth,

But, but...we have hills that are several dozen feet high! That's gotta count for something!
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:
Amie wrote:Music. Without question, this is that one thing in my life without which I wouldn't be me.

I can relate to this.
Cycling is another one of my passions, although not cycling for the sake of cycling.
I've developed an obsession of travelling to different countries by bike, it's one of the best feelings in the world to wake up in your tent one morning, crawl outside and be hit with an incredible sunrise, hundreds of miles from civilisation.

now it's 5AM so back to my coursework :(

I'm a cyclist! My power bike broke down a while ago, sadly. Sigh.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Procrastinating. No kidding.

Nah, I think that I like to plan. I like to say "Hum, the best way to do this is X and Y". I like to solve problems down to the smallest issue as a mental exercise. Unfortunatedly I dislike operating and things like "I need to design a sensor" because they do not offer any kind of challenge,

This sucks because I would be a very good engineer if I got myself to do that integral instead of thinking "You do this and you get the results". Similarly it also means I get bored quickly as most problems aren't deep enough so as not be able to work on them for months. Creating the strategy for every TF2 map? Already done. Designing a Tesla coil? Done in two days.

I hope to find something I can work on for far more time because lately I haven't had mucho luck aside from Team Fortress 2. I quit Magic The Gathering after the realization that my budget didn't give me the freedom I wanted when it came to making decks and I stopped playing Pump it Up because it all came down to stamina and little else.

Parkour seems cool. I would try it but I think I would get bored of it quickly.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Amie wrote:When I don't have my iPod with me, I feel like someone chopped off my right hand.

You should try leaving it at home once in a while. Sometimes giving music a rest makes it better when you go back to it. Also, you may find you notice more things around you (because you aren't concentrating on the music).

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Amie wrote:When I don't have my iPod with me, I feel like someone chopped off my right hand.

You should try leaving it at home once in a while. Sometimes giving music a rest makes it better when you go back to it. Also, you may find you notice more things around you (because you aren't concentrating on the music).

I notice a lot of things. They're much better when music's playing. If not on the iPod, then in my head. Always.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
dubsola wrote:

I notice a lot of things. They're much better when music's playing. If not on the iPod, then in my head. Always.

You are correct. Music =/= something you take a break from.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Soccer, parkour, skim boarding, freediving, scubadiving, reading, solving problems, brainstorming/prototyping robots or other things, umm thats what comes to the top of my brain. There is alot more Im sure. After soccer though it is in no particular order.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Flying and music are mine. As soon as I was big enough to sit at the Piano, I started playing it. Picked up a guitar about 3 years ago, been playing that since too.

As far as flying goes, I still have yet to get my Pilot's license. I'm done with ground school though, and I should be able to make a big step towards getting my actual license this year.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Stories. Writing them, or creating them otherwise.

Also, I listen to maybe 10 songs a day? (to counter the people with music as passion)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 am UTC

I have a couple of sporting passions; but making things is a favourate of mine, I have a strange conviction that with the enough time and application I can make almost anything not requiring knitting.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

solarion

Postby solarion » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 am UTC

I can't predict where I'll go but for me right now it's singing. It's been growing on me for a while and I'm pretty much singing all the time when I'm outside, and half the time inside. I find extended vocal techniques and the strange noises intensely fascinating; the whistle tone, throat singing, glottals, gasps, etc.

It may be a subsidiary of music but while I love music I don't know if I'll ever be much of a musician. Songwriting is not something I've tried, and while I'd like to learn an instrument the same passion never strikes me.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 am UTC

Amie wrote:I notice a lot of things. They're much better when music's playing. If not on the iPod, then in my head. Always.

How about sounds? And yeah, I know what you mean about music in your head, that's another reason to not take the iPod once in a while. Let your own mind do some playback.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 am UTC

It occurs to me that I forgot to mention fire. Yay, fire!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Peter Galbavy

Postby Peter Galbavy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Mine are a lot of things already mentioned; Photography (and because it's a real passion I can afford the right toys :) ), cycling, music (listening - can't play for toffee), films (but im my own environment) and BOOKS! Actually, looking back on that reading is probably my single favorites, but combining the right kind of music and book is a special treat.

Another one is the toys that go with all those apart from the reading, unless you count the lights to read by. I am passionate about the kit - cameras and lenses, AV and stereo equipment but maybe I am quite utilitarian about my bikes. Hmm. Oh, and philately, but not had the time to indulge for a while.

OK, that's quite a long list. Maybe I have emotions after all. 8)

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Amie wrote:I notice a lot of things. They're much better when music's playing. If not on the iPod, then in my head. Always.

How about sounds? And yeah, I know what you mean about music in your head, that's another reason to not take the iPod once in a while. Let your own mind do some playback.

OK I took your advice. Stars are awesome and so are parrots when they're not imitating anyone xD

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am UTC

This is something that worried me for a long time. I hadn't found anything I felt I enjoyed or was particularly good at.

But, looking back, I noticed a pattern to my scholastic career. I received accolades and kudos from people. People that I hated. But it was always for the same thing: My writing.

Then, thinking about it, it occurred to me that the reason I'm so good at writing is because I do enjoy it. Also, OCD. In particular, I enjoy the act of coming up with a world that is internally and logically consistent, and populating it with people who interest me, and seeing where this goes.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:This is something that worried me for a long time. I hadn't found anything I felt I enjoyed or was particularly good at.

But, looking back, I noticed a pattern to my scholastic career. I received accolades and kudos from people. People that I hated. But it was always for the same thing: My writing.

Then, thinking about it, it occurred to me that the reason I'm so good at writing is because I do enjoy it. Also, OCD. In particular, I enjoy the act of coming up with a world that is internally and logically consistent, and populating it with people who interest me, and seeing where this goes.

I think I need to read more things that you've written, if you don't mind.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:How about sounds? And yeah, I know what you mean about music in your head, that's another reason to not take the iPod once in a while. Let your own mind do some playback.

I am in complete agreement with this. I live and breathe for music, but the natural and not so natural sounds around you can be wonderful and inspiring.

My passion is what I (try to) do for a living, which is animation and film-making. Nothing makes me happier.
i dare you to take me on...

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

My piano is my passion. I can create a new song everyday that I think truly makes me happy.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:51 am UTC

@Fossa: Granted.

@Anyone else: My signature holds a clue to how to snag some.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

I daresay passion might be overrated. Or perhaps it is simply a tricky word.

I'ma going to go with group fitness classes, which I suppose is an odd thing to be passionate about, given that it's such an egalitarian pursuit - anyone who is so inclined can do it, and beyond a certain point that can be reached all too quickly, there's no way to really improve your "skill", and even if there is, there's no competition of some kind whereby you can somehow prove some cumulative result of the time you've invested. But then, maybe that's what makes it so great.

Jubi

Postby Jubi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

My passion's seem to change so often that it is difficult to create any progress in one area.

However for the moment I am currently interested in:

Writing
Drawing
Creating/Designing things
Solving problems that create some sort of benefit
Ég vild...Ég vildi að einhver myndi bara skipta mér burt og...festa mig

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 am UTC

Music.

there's other, lesser passions... I'm still passionate about theatre, Top Gear, and the impressionist movement.
uhhhh fuck.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

Does a passion for driving count?

My hobby, ever since buying my first car last year, has been to hop into the car, pick a direction, keep driving until I get tired, get out, and see where I've ended up. This is how interesting places can be found. This is also how some fantastic roads can be found. This Sunday, I did a solid 200 miles of mostly country lanes before stopping.

I also have a passion for drinking real ale. I realise this is somewhat incompatible with the driving thing, so I obviously keep them separate.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Once you're off your probationary period, you could certainly have one pint of ale (one that's around 4%). After a long drive it is very relaxing. I'd also imagine you could make your way to some excellent country pubs in your own vehicle - I have to rely on public transport and taxis, which makes things difficult.

I left my car in another country, so I can't do the 'random drives' any more, but they are quite enjoyable. I like the solitude, the chance to blast whatever music you choose, and being able to go wherever you like without having to worry if someone else is getting bored. I also think it's a very good way to get better at driving - you're focusing less on your destination, and more on the actual driving bit.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Once you're off your probationary period, you could certainly have one pint of ale (one that's around 4%). After a long drive it is very relaxing. I'd also imagine you could make your way to some excellent country pubs in your own vehicle - I have to rely on public transport and taxis, which makes things difficult.

I left my car in another country, so I can't do the 'random drives' any more, but they are quite enjoyable. I like the solitude, the chance to blast whatever music you choose, and being able to go wherever you like without having to worry if someone else is getting bored. I also think it's a very good way to get better at driving - you're focusing less on your destination, and more on the actual driving bit.

I said I have a passion for driving, not that I'm good at it. I have just about enough confidence that I can drive safely when completely sober. I do not want to try it with alcohol in my system.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I'd have to say biology and tying knots in things.

More specifically, I love studying genetics. Inheritance patterns, interesting mutations, the idea that an entire organism can be created and maintained by following a set of instructions made of only four distinct "letters" and a handful of regulatory proteins. That, and the way an individual instruction is located on the entire list effects the outcome of execution so greatly is amazing, especially if one believes that it all arose from chaos over the course of several billion years. The best part is, I'm still learning more about it every day.

The "tying knots in things" has made Christmas shopping much easier, at least for the friends of mine who like necklaces and jewelry.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I said I have a passion for driving, not that I'm good at it. I have just about enough confidence that I can drive safely when completely sober. I do not want to try it with alcohol in my system.

Ah, that's very sensible. That confidence will come in time although you certainly don't have to drink and drive if you don't want to.

Also, I think driving in the UK is a bit harder than in Australia (which is where I learned to drive) - the roads are smaller and there's more traffic.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

Seeing this thread, I can only think of this.

To stay with the spirit of things, though, I'm terribly fond of bouldering.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

My passion is definitely reptiles and amphibians (alive or extinct). Keeping them, learning about them, buying/preparing skeletons of them, everything.

I've been interested in them almost since I could speak, and I've been keeping them for almost 20 years now. In fact, I just realized today is my boa constrictor's 17th birthday. Over the years, I've kept or cared for hundreds of species, from tree monitors to 200+ lb tortoises, alligators to anoles.

I've been lucky enough to be able to pursue my passion in academia as well, studying the locomotion of snakes and frogs, and perhaps one day I'll manage to get a faculty position, allowing me to keep doing what I love 24/7 (until one of my beloved pets or study subjects decides to eat me).
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

I have a lot of really ... odd... passions considering my career.

I'm a computer engineer. And I love what I do. And i'm damned good at it.

And then I go home,

1) Feed my friend Catherine (I love cats... they're basically tiny ass versions of fierce predators)
2) Go check my hydroponic garden. And no, there's no pot. I grow hydroponic lettuce, and peppers, and tomatos. And i'm trying to get some basil going.
3) Go fire up the charcoal BBQ (HAS to be charcoal... something about the idea of cooking over an open flame burning a non-synthetic material)
4) Cook myself some dinner (I really enjoy cooking.. which is a new thing.. but it's not hard to do for me, and I get some fairly fantastic results)
5) Continue the planning of my Steam Launch. Example can be found here

I find it interesting that so many of the things I enjoy so much, have nothing to do with the career that I enjoy so much.
__Kit wrote:
Also, who the fuck wants to be normal? You got one lifetime, why be like everyone else?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 am UTC

stevey_frac wrote:2) Go check my hydroponic garden. And no, there's no pot. I grow hydroponic lettuce, and peppers, and tomatos. And i'm trying to get some basil going.

Coolest.thing.ever.

Skraxt

Postby Skraxt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Though it's not so specific as most passions on here, I have a passion for thinking, for learning, more specifically (but more generally) for obtaining procedural knowledge by pursuing it.

I think we've got something in our heads we haven't begun to fathom, and I also think if I really try, I can do things with it few people, or no people, have ever done before. And I'd like to keep myself naive enough to believe that for the rest of my life.
"Truth emerges more readily from error than from confusion" -Francis Bacon

Return to “General”