Nice ways to decorate (ideas wanted)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Clumpy

Nice ways to decorate (ideas wanted)

Postby Clumpy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 am UTC

I'm a college student who is in kind of a malaise with my room and looking for nice ways to decorate and simplify. I'll make this short so I can hopefully get some nice suggestions from everybody else. Here is what I'm doing now:

- Worked the cables for my phone, my scanner and the USB slot for my iPod into an unused sock drawer in my dresser by drilling holes and taping the connectors down. I can charge the phone or iPod in my drawer with enough room to open and close the drawer and still have space on top of my desk to set up the scanner when I'm using it and plug it in.

- Put CD jackets up on the walls with wall putty. They're organized nicely: (Pic) This is my favorite and I feel has made my room feel a lot more personal.

- I built a small bookshelf and put the books I'm not reading in boxes in the hall closet. The bookshelf sits on the shelf in my closet at chest level so I can access the fifty or so books that I more frequently access.

Smaller things, too: Finally picked up a cheap guitar stand for my acoustic, tried to move the computer away from the bed so that I can compartmentalize sleep and dicking around on the internet, and I'm starting to put speakers up around the walls for my iPod speaker so that I can get something of a sound system going.

Does anybody else have any neat ways to make a college apartment something approaching a home? Single occupancy is great but I'd like to put my print on more things, even if it's from ideas from fellow XKCD'ers :). I'm thinking of making an exercise ball chair now...

Clumpy

Re: Nice ways to decorate (ideas wanted)

Postby Clumpy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:47 am UTC

This may not be the easiest thread to participate in...

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:00 am UTC

You have good taste in music.

I can't think of any terribly creative ideas at the moment. My room (until I moved) was decorated mainly with concert posters and other random junk. Probably one of my favorite bits was the set of concert photos I took, framed, and hung in a collage-ish way. I was really pleased with the way it turned out.
Attachments
photocollage.jpg

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 am UTC

Thanks, and I really do think that adding some small frames might help my decoration to look much better.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

You should get a ball pit.
Do they allow painting? Even a fresh coat of paint on walls can look nice. You could always do a palate look for more colour (a colour on each wall but ones that look good together!).
Even hanging mounted photos you've taken can look cool. If done right, b&w images with primary colour mattes look awesome and can brighten up spaces especially where you can't paint.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

- some new, brightly coloured sheets/blankets/misc manchester
- a larger piece of art for one wall - a poster, or a wall hanging or something
- a stuffed toy or toy dinosaur companion or two
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

My land lord wouldn't allow any nails in the wall so I got one of those bars you hang shower curtains on and put up a wall hanging.
I basically got a nice piece of cloth with a cool print on and stuck it up in the same way you would a shower curtain, using loops with clips to hold it up.
It also helps dampen the accoustics of a room a great deal.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Hide a treasure map in the walls before you leave.

Peter Galbavy

Postby Peter Galbavy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Lighting. It makes a big difference to the feel of a room and can be very cheap to play with. If money is a constraint, get some cheap desk lamps (IKEA etc.) as up-lighters/spots, point them at strategic things, play with light and dark regions and shadows. If you have good daylight through windows, use it - and visually appealing curtains / blinds for night time.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

We just got some new blinds which is helping, and I just ordered a large print of the Great Wave off Kanagawa for the empty wall. I'll see about that other stuff once I clean out some unnecessary stuff from my room.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Posters depicting ancient maps are one of my favorite things. If you can find old oak, cherry or mahogany frames for them, that would be perfect.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Buy some tapestries from here and hang them up. I've got 4 currently hanging around my house. I'll post pics later if you want. They're easily secured with thumbtacks.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Vicbowling

Postby Vicbowling » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Vintage prints are nice. I really like old Asian images of woodcuts etc. You can get a nice framed poster[/url] or two here. I have a few in my dining room and it has really improved the atmosphere of the room. If you get nice large ones in the order of 20x30" you can hide ugly walls pretty well too.

Troz

Postby Troz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

If you get blinds, make sure they aren't the ones that just bend and still let light through. Those are torribly annoying.

Please Recycle.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “General”