UK election- GREAT SCOTT, IS THAT AN ELEPHANT?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dave_Wise

UK election- GREAT SCOTT, IS THAT AN ELEPHANT?

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Well, it's been called. That means a month of listening to the man in the street being interviewed and coming over as a right prick. I thought this one on radio 4 was particularly funny:
"I'm not voting for any of the main parties. I think they're just out to feather their nests. I don't have any confidence in them any more, not with all the things they've done, like all the illegal immigration"
A nihilistic complaint that I find it difficult to disagree with, a valid if prosaic comment on the recent corruption scandals, and then BAM! straight in with the racism. God love the great british public, everyone else thinks they're twats.

Now to the point. Again, an extract from radio 4. The interviewer asks a labour politician about Brown's decision to censor the reason for his decision to sell gold at the bottom of the market. The politician says 'oh come now, let's talk about the real issues'. The real issues? What's more real than the national debt and the gold reserves? It'd have to be something massive, something in the order of a war....
GREAT SCOTT! IS THAT AN ELEPHANT? GET THE SMELLY BEAST OUT OF THE LIVING ROOM THIS INSTANT!

Why is nobody talking about the war? The one thing that Clegg can really score on is that his was the only major party to be mostly opposed to the war from the very beginning, and he's not even mentioning it. Why is this?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

You, sir, name?

Re: UK election- GREAT SCOTT, IS THAT AN ELEPHANT?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

I don't really know much about UK politics, but I saw a poster that said something like "Vote conservative for change" and went o_O
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

I know. Politicians seem to have developed either a shaky grasp of the english language or a taste for surrealism recently. Like this phrase 'neo liberal'. What it actually seems to mean is increasing inequality and worsening living conditions by allowing the rich to steal public services and run them into the ground.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

My question for the Brits: What's the deal with not having elections? From the way the articles were written, it sounds like once you get to be PM, you choose when the next election is. I'd get elected and be like "Bugger all you, I'm on vacation for the rest of my life. PM forever!"
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

Not quite- the PM can call the election whenever he likes, but he has to do so within 5 years. We're actually within a few months of the last legal date this time round. All that stuff about asking her majesty to dissolve parliament is really just a formality. Or, put another way for no better reason than that I feel like it, parliaments are not majesty-soluble.

This one is even weirder than usual, though, with the tories proposing to keep taxes the same by pulling savings out of their ass, a party that has done nothing to close the loopholes for non-doms talking about social justice, etc. etc.
-a friend.

Welsh Mullet

Postby Welsh Mullet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Remember how the conservatives got us out of the last recession?
I don't want to go back to that.
(Maggie Thatcher)

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

I'm just old enough to remember Margaret Thatcher. Which means, unlike younger people and those without a memory/spine/conscience I know that the only good thing she ever did was to swell the membership of the North of England ballroom dancing association. They're getting plenty of practice in for when she finally kicks the bucket. I am not having those bastards back if I can possibly avoid it.
-a friend.

Welsh Mullet

Postby Welsh Mullet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

my l33t paint skill :3

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

Should this not be in SB?

But anyway, it's going to be an interesting election. I'm in a marginal Labour-Conservative seat (actually, the most marginal seat in the country), but I'm a card carrying Lib Dem, so I have a tough decision to make on who I vote for... I'll probably vote Lib Dem, but I'll still be kicking myself if the Tories win by a handful of votes.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 am UTC

I'm voting in a constituency where there's a non-trivial chance of a Green MP being elected for the first time ever, which makes me pretty lucky. If either that or a coalition of Lib Dems + ??? resulting in electoral reform happens, I'll be happy (well, as happy as you can be with one of New Labour and the fucking Tories getting back in).
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:BAM! straight in with the racism.
You do realize that illegal immigration isn't always about racism don't you? Many times it's about economics and taxes.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 am UTC

Sure it is. And sometimes it's about global warming. That brown skin just doesn't reflect enough sunlight back into space.

I'd like to see the Greens get in but, on a more realistic note, I promised a guy on these forums I'd vote for the Lib Dems. Not because he's paying me off, I hasten to add. Technically, I promised I'd vote for them if he did, but that doesn't make sense.

I was pretty surprised to read that UKIP want a flat tax, too. I guess they're the party of choice for those who like the BNP's style but not their economic policy.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 am UTC

Ultimately nobody is talking about the war, because it's not a major issue for voters who are strapped for cash and, we're just quitely plodding away at it, and probably will be for another 20 years till we achieve our aims.

I'd like to see Labour get in over the Tories, and the Lib-Dems in over Labour, and the BNP held over a spikey pit.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am UTC

In that case the Liberal Democrats should talk up Vince Cable's economic credentials. He seems to have come out of the recession row with the best reputation.

I haven't decided how I'm voting yet, I'm going to analyse the manifestos and make up my mind from them. I have to say that I feel a lot less engaged by this campaign than by any of the previous ones, and I feel that casting my vote will be supporting the lesser of competing evils rather than voting for something positive.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am UTC

For me this is the first election that I feel my vote will count and that change will actually happen. I had the same feeling around 97 when Nu Labour came round but we all know how that turned out. Personally I'm voting Lib Dem. I think the shake up of the parties if they were to come into power would be great for the UK.

This is going to be an exciting month. :D
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am UTC

The news reports the night before the Tuesday that Gordon went to meet Her Majesty, were the pinnacle of all I see wrong with the journalism media today. All evening I just heard definite statements that a) Gordon Brown would ask for dissolution tomorrow, b) it will be May 6th, c) the Labour campaign starter speech will be X, d) the Tories will say Y, and e) the LibDems will say Z. Are all three political parties just filled with publicity leaks nowadays. I really don't see the point in this foreplay of news reporting of definite events in political/business sector the evening beforehand, then a day later when it blows over, the discussion that it was 'new' and unexpected. Grr.

Voting in the Cambridge constituency might get a bit interesting, since this chap's standing: http://www.oldholborn.net/, some random anti-establishment libertarian blogger with a penchant for V For Vendetta Guy Fawkes masks, who promises gunpowder punting on the Cam.

I'll probably be putting an X against Conservative for both my home and university constituency [students get to vote both ways, it's tremendous!]. Labour seem to be going the wrong way about the budget deficit, the Greens are the LibDems without actual politics and policies tacked on, and the LibDems themselves, have an interesting desire to get Britain carbon neutral with no energy crisis, via total decommissioning of the nuclear power industry.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 am UTC

I will yet again be voting LibDem. By my understanding, they actually stand a chance in my constituency. The only reason people don't vote for them is because they think nobody else will vote for them and it will result in a wasted vote. I know I'd much rather have them than the Labservatives.

Well let's see. In 1997, the Tories had made such a god-awful mess of things that people were too terrified to vote for them, and turned to Labour with their charismatic young party leader. Now in 2010, Labour have made such a god-awful mess of things that people are terrified to vote for them and are turning to the Tories with their charismatic young party leader. At least there is symmetry.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 am UTC

Anyone see the televised debate? I'd have much preferred a less civilised version to be screened after the main event, where, for example, Brown turns to face Cameron and says "Oh, just piss off you chinless wonder", and Nick Clegg says "This is what you two have been doing to the country. You see that studio floor? that's the country" before taking an enormously long shit on the studio floor for the benefit of the cameras. Maybe if I find some lookalikes I can mock it up and sell it...

You do realize that illegal immigration isn't always about racism don't you? Many times it's about economics and taxes.

Yes, about economics and taxes and how they relate to racism. Which is what arbitrarily rejecting economic migrants amounts to.
-a friend.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I'd like to see Labour get in over the Tories, and the Lib-Dems in over Labour, and the BNP held over a spikey pit.

You want someone to keep hold of them? Interesting. :P

I'll probably go libdem, mainly because where I live Labour ain't got a hope in hell, and Conservatives? Oh hell no. Cameron's a slimy bastard who says nothing of substance, IMO.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

JazzPenguin

Postby JazzPenguin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

Apparently I now live in a currently Lib Dem seat, which is high on Labour's list of targets and has no chance of going to the Tories, which makes a nice change from what I was expecting for my first election; the vote wasting pointlessness of south Cheshire's safe conservative seats, though thankfully the Winterton's are retiring.

I'm heading lib-dem at the moment, I'm unhappy about their rather daft energy policy, but I much prefer them over the big two, and the chances are they'd be part of a coalition, hopefully one which would create electoral reform. Also the anti-nuclear part might go away if they actually have to do something, especially since they seem to have the best policies on science overall.

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Buddha with a bra on wrote:Cameron's a slimy bastard who says nothing of substance, IMO.

He was also a chief advisor to both Norman Lamont and Michael Howard in the Thatcher government. I'm mystified as to why either of these weren't enough to finish him in British politics for good -sigh- seems people have short enough memories these days that having been influential in TBW's government is no longer a political death sentence :(

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

And we shouldn't forget that the reason he's on all the posters is because he's the only electable part of the conservative party. Somebody who hung around with thickie Lamont (as I'm reliably informed he was referred to by his own staff) and the houses of parliament's only vampire. Imagine what the rest of them are like. Then stop whimpering, and when you're no longer actually too frightened to scream, get out from under the duvet and vote labour (I think we have a slogan...). Or lib dem.
-a friend.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:

Yes, about economics and taxes and how they relate to racism. Which is what arbitrarily rejecting economic migrants amounts to.
Or about people using public services that haven't helped pay for them. I don't know, maybe England is more racist than America, so for you it is all about racism.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

But if they weren't being rejected for racist reasons, they'd probably be perfectly happy to pay for them, given that they would then have to be payed the minimum wage. Besides, none of the arguments are ever couched in those terms. It's always a knee-jerk reaction that equates to 'foreigners bad'.
-a friend.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

I'm in a LibDem constituency, and I'll be voting LibDems this year. Assuming I'm registered...I think I am, but haven't got a polling card through yet...hmm...I'll try and check.
I'd rather Labour get in over Tories, because Cameron seems to be a bit too idealistic and hand-wavy for my liking.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

wst

Postby wst » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

I quite fancy OMRLP - http://www.omrlp.com/

Their manifesto -

Spoiler:
Healthy Drinking
Health Matters: show by example.
To stop young people's excessive drinking and having a good time the politicians should convert all their 30 or 40 bars at Westminster into milk bars. Their restaurants should be converted into salad bars to show solidarity with school children, how to improve their health and fitness.

Shout it out
The speaker in the house of commons will be replaced by the latest audio equipment

Balanced View
All politicians should be made to stand continually on one leg while making speeches to check how balanced their arguments are. It should also reduce political flatulence and soothe the listeners ears

PeacePlan
To help the Israel/palestine problems, we should get rid of the old fashioned road map, and give them a sat nav instead.

Purple Haze
It is proposed the party adopts the Paint It Purple Policy(PIPP) In order to solve the problem of depressed areas,unemployment and youth disaffection, Every third building in the country should be painted purple. There'll be lots of jobs created either making purple paint, or doing the painting, these jobs can be done by young people, who'll be too busy washing purple paint off themselves to get into trouble.

Beat Them at their own game
It is proposed that the government should set up a terrorist training camp and that all prospective suicide bombers should have to blow themselves up as there final licensing test, with points added for mass destruction of the test range, but deducted for survival. this would undoubtedly reduce acts of terror.

Ex pat proposal
On a recent visit back to Blighty, I was concerned to hear of Labour's financial contrubutions scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donorgate). Knowing the Monster Raving Loony Party would never accept "under the table" donations, I propose a strictly "on top of the table" alternative, to be delivered in manilla envelopes to all Labour Party offices... The DonorGate Commemorative Cookie - brown on the outside, flakey on the inside, and sprinkled with nuts.
If you wanted to further feed general public interest, you would "knead" millions... The first batch could be of, say, 548,850, the next 320,000, and so forth. While unable to match Labour's foreign receipts, each of us ex-patriot Brits could then send you a big batch of cookie dough, roughly moulded into the shape of the countries in which we presently reside. This would provide your party with its fair share of offshore "dodgy dough nations"....

Politicians are Shocked
Politicians to be fitted with electric shock collars, the type used to stop dogs barking, and shocked every time they lie.

And The Winners of Next weeks Lottery Are?
Psychics should be made to prove themselves by winning both the National Lottery and the Euromillions, having correctly predicted the winning numbers.

Never mind the money
Every year the Prime Minister should be tarred and feathered, this will make the job much less appealing and will hopefully lead to short term office for power-hungry PMs.

Monarchy
A lot of people believe that we should no longer have a Monarchy as they serve no purpose. However the Monarchy through tourism bring alot of money to Britain. It is proposed that we hold a jousting competion, with the winner becoming Monarch for the year. Reprint the coins with a picture of a knight joustin on them. We would never have to reprint the coins from then on and at least people would feel the then current Monarch earned thier position. Keeping the Monarchy would allow us still to reap the benifits of tourism.

Football
All football team's should wear the same coloured shirts , shorts and boots , wear big red noses and bright green wigs, as this will lead to a more exciting and interesting game.

Immigration
i) The government's plans on restricting immigration does not go far enough. To fully protect our nation's values, we should ensure nobody can get into Britain at all. We shall burn all airports & harbours, establish anti-aircraft guns and sea mines across every inch of coast, and erect a vast forcefield around Great Britain.
ii) Anyone who is abroad shall only be let back in after 40 days of quarantine, where they will be made to listen to the national anthem 24/7 to prevent any contamination by foreign thinking.

University Fees
It is proposed to raise the cost of an university education to the point where nobody can afford to go, thus ending the scourge of drunk students.

Fishy Sounding
All tins of tuna to be sold with a FREE peg or a gas mask for the higher quality tuna.

A drink in your Honour
There should be two plaques in every pub, one to Alan "Howlin Laud" Hope and one to Screamin Lord Sutch, possibly the greatest man who ever lived (sent in by wijajo)

Livestock Buffet
Why not rear cattle in restaurants? There will no need to distribute meat all over the country creating pollution and kids will have fun petting the fat cows and snorting pigs.

The OAP jetset.
It is proposed to supply jetpacks for the elderly. This way they don't block the pavements and roads with those slow little machines that they have. This will reduce congestion so will be good for the environment. The elderly may have more fun in their life, more fun than bingo, and as there are no cars in the sky it will be much safer. Soon everyone will want jetpacks and the world will be a better place.

This one was sent in by Garry. Personally we think this policy is a sticky proposition.
I think MRLP should table a motion for the preservation of Hot Treacle Pudding. That this great British delicacy should remain on our shop shelves and in our restaurants. Moreover the public should even be allowed to bath in it, if they so desire, but not in hot water but tepid deluxe thick creamy custard. I also insist that the European commune be converted to Hot Treacle pudding by August 2013.

Commas with dots
Semicolons should be banned; No-one knows when to use one anyway.

Transport Politicians to Hospital
Politicians will be made to use public transport, this will have many benefits, the saved money could be invested into hospitals, which could then be used to treat said politicians after having used said public transport.

Political Mascots
During an election campaign, all political partes in the UK must spend at least 1% of their expenses on the maintenance and upkeep of a mascot and costume. This would serve to boost popularity in voting and encourage more
public participation in politics.

It is... some of it would actually be quite useful.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:And we shouldn't forget that the reason he's on all the posters is because he's the only electable part of the conservative party.
You forget the awesomeness that is Boris Johnson.

My current feelings about the parties are:
Labour - Illegally invaded Iraq, forever losing my vote. They also fail to listen to their own scientific advisers and make policy based on knee-jerk reactions to headlines, rather than by thinking about them.
Conservatives - Supported the Iraq war, are Europhobic and generally xenophobic. It'd have to come down to Tories vs BNP for me to consider voting for them. They seem to lack policies and to be relying on Cameron being exactly like Blair, a big argument against them.
Liberal Democrats - More promising, and received my vote at the last election. The trouble is that they seem to have turned away from policies that are good but unpopular and lurched wildly towards populism. I'm not sure they're coherent enough to earn my vote.
Greens - I think that the environment is one of the most important issues facing the world at the minute, so I'm going to give them some serious consideration. I'm not sure if they've thought enough about the other parts of government, though.
UKIP, BNP, other lunatics - Raving lunatics that only exist to show that a) there are a large number of idiots in the UK, and b) that freedom of expression, no matter how foolish, is still alive in the UK.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

I think that's a pretty fair summary. How could I have forgotten our dear Boris? Another thing nobody's talking about is the colossal failure that is PFI (a scheme seeming intended to enable the private sector to profit from funds intended for the public sector, in return for lowering the quality of public services.)
-a friend.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

If Boris ever becomes party leader, I am definitely voting Tory. :mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I'll probably be putting an X against Conservative for both my home and university constituency [students get to vote both ways, it's tremendous!]. Labour seem to be going the wrong way about the budget deficit, the Greens are the LibDems without actual politics and policies tacked on, and the LibDems themselves, have an interesting desire to get Britain carbon neutral with no energy crisis, via total decommissioning of the nuclear power industry.

You sure we're allowed to vote in both constituencies? I wasn't aware of that...

From what I've heard, Cambridge is pretty much a Lib Dem safe seat IF elections are held during term time, Tory otherwise.

Also, Caius?

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

I think you only get to vote once in the general election, but twice if the two places are holding local elections (for county council), but I don't have a link to prove that, yet.

Edit: Voting Twice

Also, apparently where I live is a safe seat for conservatives (ewww), despite the controversy over the previous MPs duck island. I'm thinking I might vote Lib Dem, but I guess I'm undecided as of yet.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

Of Negligible Mass

Postby Of Negligible Mass » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

JazzPenguin wrote:Apparently I now live in a currently Lib Dem seat, which is high on Labour's list of targets and has no chance of going to the Tories, which makes a nice change from what I was expecting for my first election; the vote wasting pointlessness of south Cheshire's safe conservative seats, though thankfully the Winterton's are retiring.

Amen to that. As a resident of dear-old Nick's constituency, may I be the first to say good-riddance. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but a change of candidate might loosen the Tory stranglehold on Macclesfield (he's been MP since 1971, for God's sake...).
Dobblesworth wrote:I'll probably be putting an X against Conservative for both my home and university constituency [students get to vote both ways, it's tremendous!]

Really? As I understood it we were allowed to register in both places, but only vote in one of them? I could easily be wrong. Speaking of registering I should really get round to that.
Don't like it?

... Neither did I

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Greens - I think that the environment is one of the most important issues facing the world at the minute, so I'm going to give them some serious consideration. I'm not sure if they've thought enough about the other parts of government, though.

What makes you say that? I thought their ideas about 'the other parts of government' were their best assets. It'd be so hardcore.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

JoeKhol

Postby JoeKhol » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:If Boris ever becomes party leader, I am definitely voting Tory. :mrgreen:
I really hope that smilie indicates you're joking but even then it is really beyond a joke if you live in London.

Boris Johnson is either an incompotent dolt or an amazing actor and pathological liar. Either way his is totally inappropriate for political office, an opening for power behind the throne and terrifying prospect that he could be in position to make life-or-death decisions.

A sad example of celebrity culture and if he gets anywhere near Number 10, justifcation for a bloddless coup.
Therefore, I think I am.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

'bloodless'?
-a friend.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:You sure we're allowed to vote in both constituencies? I wasn't aware of that...

Apparently we are. You can elect for your vote in your home constituency to be mailed as a postal vote to your university residence, and the college sends your details as signup to the city electoral register. Something went tits-up in last year's local/MEP elections where mine didn't come through to such a local office for me to vote on polling day, but peeps I saw around college a) were voting in the Cambridge content, and b) checking out home postal vote forms.
Nebuduck wrote:Also, Caius?
Yes.

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:You sure we're allowed to vote in both constituencies? I wasn't aware of that...

Apparently we are. You can elect for your vote in your home constituency to be mailed as a postal vote to your university residence, and the college sends your details as signup to the city electoral register. Something went tits-up in last year's local/MEP elections where mine didn't come through to such a local office for me to vote on polling day, but peeps I saw around college a) were voting in the Cambridge content, and b) checking out home postal vote forms.
Yes.

I would like to reiterate this link

Can I vote twice, at home and at uni?

You can’t vote twice in:

a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary election.

But you can vote in local government elections at home and at your term-time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area.

In short, you cannot (according to this source) vote twice in the general election.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Apparently we are.

See, I know people who did that too. I just wasn't entirely sure if we were strictly allowed to, if it was some clerical error/loophole that people were exploiting, or if people were voting in both and then just one of the votes ended up not counted. I'm tempted to buy the whole 'Can vote in both for council elections', but I'm quite confident it wouldn't be allowed in general elections.
Dobblesworth wrote:
Yes.

I'm sorry for your loss...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

My understanding from looking up the rules in my student days was that you can only vote once in the general elections, but can vote in both term-time and home constituencies for local elections. I chose to vote in my term-time constituency, which was Hammersmith & Fulham, because my parents' house is in one of the safest Tory seats in the country.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

Ah all right then. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for clearing it up guys.

Return to “General”