UK election- GREAT SCOTT, IS THAT AN ELEPHANT?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nebuduck

Re: UK election- GREAT SCOTT, IS THAT AN ELEPHANT?

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

I don't think this has been posted yet...

http://slapometer.com/

Best site to come out of the election so far, in my opinion.

acb

Postby acb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

I just wrote a long post about the Green manifesto that was released today and then got logged out and lost it.

In short, everything that crowey and cypherspace said upthread is still in there, so if you are planning to vote for them have a look and see what you think (in particular the sections on health, energy, and farming, food and animal protection).

Manifesto (pdf)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

Debate just started - Brown's doing better than I thought he might so far, but is going to look bad next to Cameron and Clegg, who both look far more polished. Clegg seems to be doing ok, though... time will tell.

acb

Postby acb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

I don't think Brown was happy when Cameron called him Gordon. And now he's just gone with "Nick". Bit too familiar perhaps!

I agree that Brown is doing better than expected so far.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I'm quite enjoying the debate, but I wish Cameron would stop with the anecdotes. It's getting fecking annoying.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Cameron doesn't seem to be doing too well. Well, this has reaffirmed my decision to vote LibDem.

Also, they only get 1 minute to say their piece, so wtf is the deal with wasting time saying "what a brilliant question, I'm so glad you asked it"?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

the tree

Postby the tree » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

My favourite of the gajjilion tweets I've read this evening:
@haroon7: wrote: Hi, call me Dave. I went to Afghanistan to talk to a Northern black one-legged Jewish lesbian soldier nurse teaching kids...'

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

the tree wrote:My favourite of the gajjilion tweets I've read this evening:
@haroon7: wrote: Hi, call me Dave. I went to Afghanistan to talk to a Northern black one-legged Jewish lesbian soldier nurse teaching kids...'
That's fantastic.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I just read a comment that said
Mr Brown is very honest I respect him

WHAT?!?

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I think you need to add the word cancer about 20 times to that statement after the healthcare question...I lost track of how many times Cameron said it. He also seemed to be suggesting that there was some sort of wonderdrug to cure all cancers that Labour just won't pay for cause they're stubborn.
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Some of my favourite tweets:

@maslett wrote:So, to summarise: Cameron - "jobs tax", Clegg - "something new", Brown - "I agree with Nick"
@bloggerheads wrote:"Let's make Cameron PM, so we can see some real fireworks next time he says on live TV that we might need to nuke China
@higgis wrote:Please, someone ask a question about prostitution. Dave: "I actually went to a brothel the other day"
@domjoly wrote:Clegg obsessed with "black holes" gets sci-fi vote
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Off the current topic but very relevant: The debate:
Just off first impressions from an amateur:

Clegg: I actually thought he did pretty well, he seemed quite brushed up on a lot of the issues and I found his policies most agreeable and their manifesto did seem to have a lot of consideration to it, whether they're credible is hard to say but I'm in principle agreement and I thought he did pretty well especially at being passionate about his cause. 8/10

Cameron: I'll be honest, I was biased against him from the start, I tried to put that aside but with all of his shity idealogy and his "charisma" missing he kind of fucked up. He didn't seem particularly composed although he wasn't particularly "conservativ-ey conservative" but it came through anyway. I like how at the end he was all "I know these two have tried to scare you away from the idea of a conservative government but have HOPE not fear!". To be fair, he did have some good points and seemed engaged whatever that's worth. 4/10

Brown: I actually laughed at this comment about him smiling on the posters, and he made that jibe about X Factor which makes me think he was told to be a little more human which probably worked in his favour. He did have some good points, and he seemed to put forward reasonable solutions but it's like "Why haven't you done a lot of these already?" and I felt like he was too certain about how the future was going to pan out. Not particularly great but he seemed with it mostly. 6/10.

I'm pretty surprised by how well Clegg seemed to do, after a bit more reading I might be converted to Lib Dem properly now. Pity I can't vote though...

cypherspace wrote:Some of my favourite tweets:

@higgis wrote:Please, someone ask a question about prostitution. Dave: "I actually went to a brothel the other day"

I laughed maniacally.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

the tree

Postby the tree » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

just-mark wrote:

I think you need to add the word cancer about 20 times to that statement after the healthcare question...I lost track of how many times Cameron said it. He also seemed to be suggesting that there was some sort of wonderdrug to cure all cancers that Labour just won't pay for cause they're stubborn.
Good thing that there aren't any other medical issues in the world apart from cancer that the NHS might want to be dealing with.

casiguapa

Postby casiguapa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:04 am UTC

I would actually like to start a poll of people and places Dave C didn't visit the other day.

Also, for those playing The Daily Mail bingo, David Cameron ticked every key phrase except Princess Di. Immigration? check. Druggies? Check. Black people? check, children? check. Seriously, all I needed was a sly Princess Di mention and I'd have been quids in
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 am UTC

casiguapa wrote:I would actually like to start a poll of people and places Dave C didn't visit the other day.
Reality? Check....

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

I did find it funny after all those times Gordon said "I think Nick agrees with me on this one...", and Nick finally got a chance to say "actually Gordon no I don't". I suspect Gordon was hoping to get Nick on-side so they could gang up on Dave. Presuming to speak for him was not a wise way to go about it. :lol:

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

from twitter via B3ta:
worst Kraftwerk gig ever

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:58 am UTC

http://www.fridgemagnet.org.uk/toys/dave-met.php

"Last week, I met an Afghan pensioner, who told me that binge drinkers just can't be trusted."

"Last week, I met a Caribbean reformed paedophile, who told me that climate change hysteria should be stopped before things get any worse."

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

You can't escape the election anywhere it seems, there are now at least 2 politics-themed orgies in London, one on election night and one the night after!?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:http://www.fridgemagnet.org.uk/toys/dave-met.php

"Last week, I met an Afghan pensioner, who told me that binge drinkers just can't be trusted."

"Last week, I met a Caribbean reformed paedophile, who told me that climate change hysteria should be stopped before things get any worse."

"Last week, I met a gay woman, who told me that terrorists killed Diana."
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 am UTC

EmilyR wrote:You can't escape the election anywhere it seems, there are now at least 2 politics-themed orgies in London, one on election night and one the night after!?

I have this horrible image in my head of people turning up to an orgy wearing a Gordon Brown or David Cameron mask.

TNorthover

Postby TNorthover » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have this horrible image in my head of people turning up to an orgy wearing a Gordon Brown or David Cameron mask.

I have two words to send you over the edge: Anne Widdecombe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 am UTC

TNorthover wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I have this horrible image in my head of people turning up to an orgy wearing a Gordon Brown or David Cameron mask.

I have two words to send you over the edge: Anne Widdecombe.

Maggie Thatcher. John Prescott.

Enjoy the mental images.

Edit: looks like the Tories and Labour are finally treating the LibDems as a serious concern.

hoot the mottle

Postby hoot the mottle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Maybe the LibDems will use the opportunity to take themselves a bit more seriously too. I haven't found that their approach of attacking both sides makes them any more plausible in a real govermental role, though clearly since the loss of Charles Kennedy they are a bit more lucid.
dandelionburner wrote:Governments exist so people don't beat you up and take your stuff. Democracy exists so the government doesn't beat YOU up and take YOUR stuff.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 am UTC

hoot the mottle wrote:Maybe the LibDems will use the opportunity to take themselves a bit more seriously too. I haven't found that their approach of attacking both sides makes them any more plausible in a real govermental role, though clearly since the loss of Charles Kennedy they are a bit more lucid.

Attacking the other sides is what political parties do. You can't really blame them for that, especially when they are legitimate gripes. The only reason they're not being attacked back is because both Dave and Gordon know they'll need Nick's support if they get a hung parliament. They're in the fantastic position of being able to sit back and watch the other two rip each other to pieces.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

From the news today it looks like the Tories, at least, are now seeing the Lib Dems as a credible threat. The next debate I think Cameron and Brown are going to attack Clegg a lot more, as well as going at each other. The second debate is international relations, if that translates into issues like Europe and Immigration, the Lib Dems have a lot of policies which are not universally popular with the electorate on those themes (possibly an understatement, that). I'm all in favour of them, but I know I'm in the minority. That should give Brown and Cameron some ammunition to try and stop the Lib Dems momentum.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
cypherspace wrote:http://www.fridgemagnet.org.uk/toys/dave-met.php

"Last week, I met a gay woman, who told me that terrorists killed Diana."

"Last week, I met an Indian seaman, who told me that hoodies killed Jesus."
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Apparently YouGov have been up to shenannigans with some involvement of Murdoch:
http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/ ... och_d.html

:shock:

hoot the mottle

Postby hoot the mottle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The only reason they're not being attacked back is because both Dave and Gordon know they'll need Nick's support if they get a hung parliament. They're in the fantastic position of being able to sit back and watch the other two rip each other to pieces.

Agreed. My point really is that they have done nothing special themselves to make gains, all they have done is sitk and watch as the public lose interest in the others. they haven't done anything wonderful or new, or even solved the problems in their own party.

Adacore wrote:From the news today it looks like the Tories, at least, are now seeing the Lib Dems as a credible threat. The next debate I think Cameron and Brown are going to attack Clegg a lot more, as well as going at each other. The second debate is international relations, if that translates into issues like Europe and Immigration, the Lib Dems have a lot of policies which are not universally popular with the electorate on those themes (possibly an understatement, that). I'm all in favour of them, but I know I'm in the minority. That should give Brown and Cameron some ammunition to try and stop the Lib Dems momentum.

I think both parties have always been aware the LibDems can cost them seats, the concern now is that swings in certain areas might be more unpredictable. Clegg's done himself a good turn, but it will be interesting to see if he has substance to back it up when he is under concerted attack. After all, he's just made himself a target.
I don't think Clegg has any "momentum" at this stage, debate polls aren't a good indicator. I'm looking forward to a question on the EU though.
dandelionburner wrote:Governments exist so people don't beat you up and take your stuff. Democracy exists so the government doesn't beat YOU up and take YOUR stuff.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 am UTC

Vote for life.
Vote for a job.
Vote for a career.
Vote for a family.
Vote for a fucking big television, Vote for washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers.
Vote for good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance.
Vote for fixed- interest mortgage repayments.
Vote for a starter home.
Vote for your friends.
Vote for leisure wear and matching luggage.
Vote for a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics.
Vote for DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning.
Vote for sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Vote for rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself.
Vote for your future.
Vote for life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Because the alternative is unlife, and that just ain't no good thang?
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Vote for life.
Vote for a job.
Vote for a career.
Vote for a family.
Vote for a fucking big television, Vote for washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers.
Vote for good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance.
Vote for fixed- interest mortgage repayments.
Vote for a starter home.
Vote for your friends.
Vote for leisure wear and matching luggage.
Vote for a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics.
Vote for DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning.
Vote for sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Vote for rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself.
Vote for your future.
Vote for life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?
You've been trainspotting again.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

So whoever didn't know, ahead of tonight's debate every Murdoch-owned paper has attacked Nick Clegg in some way, blaming him for many things. Of course, this resulted in much Twitterlarity and is the reason #nickcleggsfault is trending worldwide. I friggin' love it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/bl ... aper-swipe

hoot the mottle

Postby hoot the mottle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

It's not just Murdoch you know. Clegg put himsel fin the firing line and now he has to prove he can stand up to the same scrutiny that the major parties have been withstanding.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Well yeah but that's kind of a good thing. No one knew his policies and now they do.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

hoot the mottle

Postby hoot the mottle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Do they really? I've watched several interviews with him and read the manifesto, but I'm still no clearer on where they stand. Wishy-washy indecisive prevarication does seem to be their strength.

As an example I've seen several of their MPs disagree about the party stance on the EU, once of them promising a referendum and the other very clear that they are not going any further in nor coming any further out (which is exactly the kind of weak indecisive middle road that gets us no-where). Yet their website says, "Britain must lead in Europe, not snipe from the sidelines like the Conservatives would wish." Who knows frankly.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Well yeah, their policies are vague, but you can't really expect definite answers on everything in this life. And knowing that their on every fence in the country is better than knowing nothing except that they're yellow coloured.
Weeks wrote:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

hoot the mottle wrote:As an example I've seen several of their MPs disagree about the party stance on the EU, once of them promising a referendum and the other very clear that they are not going any further in nor coming any further out (which is exactly the kind of weak indecisive middle road that gets us no-where). Yet their website says, "Britain must lead in Europe, not snipe from the sidelines like the Conservatives would wish." Who knows frankly.

Are there any parties that don't have MPs which disagree with the party line on Europe? I know the Tories have several MPs who are very pro-Europe and I imagine Labour have their fair mix of both camps. It's one area where the split is less along party lines than the parties (and their manifestos) may have you believe.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

I didn't enjoy this debate as much as the first one. I expected more on foreign policy, and there were lots of questions repeated from the first debate.
I think Brown did a lot better tonight, he seemed more decisive-the "You don't have to like me, I'm not about PR, I'm about action." was quite good. Cameron only offered a couple of anecdotes. Clegg seemed quite laid back. Interesting how the moderator mentioned the accusations on the front of the Telegraph as all the papers smearing Clegg today and Sky are owned by News Corp and Murdoch.

So. Twitter

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Sky reckons Cameron won. What a load of rubbish. Clegg pwned again, especially when demanding the numbers on the immigration cap. Some fairly hilarious commentary at http://twitter.com/aiannucci.

EDIT: Also hilarious, Conservapedia's article on Clegg.

Return to “General”