I can't donate blood

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jplus

Re: I can't donate blood

Postby Jplus » Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 am UTC

It surprised me that you can get paid for donating plasma at SummerGlauFan's location. Here in the Netherlands you'll never get paid for donating blood because they think it'll attract donors for the wrong reasons.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Woo, donated for the first time today, managed to pump it out 9 minutes flat, unfortunately they weren't keeping score, however the eighty year old woman in the chair next to me was on her 125th donation, so I figure four donations a year until I'm fifty and I should be able to beat her record provided she dies before me.

One thing that I've always wondered though; Are those people who are barred from donating blood here because they have lived in the UK for more than six months between (1980 and 1996?) able to donate blood in the UK, or do they have to import nearly all of the country's blood products?

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 am UTC

People in the UK can donate blood (I'm going to be donating next week, as a matter of fact) , I assume it's something to do with the fact that we're all at risk of having vCJD/BSE in our blood, so it's not as much of a worry.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Fume Troll wrote:BSE I guess.

Yep.

Ah. And yikes. Hopefully, after x amount of time without symptoms you can donate again?

Jplus wrote:It surprised me that you can get paid for donating plasma at SummerGlauFan's location. Here in the Netherlands you'll never get paid for donating blood because they think it'll attract donors for the wrong reasons.

Oh, you can't get paid for donating blood, but you can for plasma. It's not quite as simple as a walk-in though; your blood is tested first, and then you go in for your appointment at a later date.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 05, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

From what I understand, when you donate plasma they suck out a pint or whatever of blood, get the plasma out, then put the plasma-free blood back. Donating blood involves them taking a pint of blood and keeping it for a game of bloodbag hockey in the basement later. Or, you know, using it for it's intended purpose of giving it to people who need it or else they'll die. Either or.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Ah. And yikes. Hopefully, after x amount of time without symptoms you can donate again?

Unless they change the requirements, no. My time in the UK happened to be between 1980 and 1996.

The funny thing is that being from a Hindu family, I didn't eat much beef back then. Possibly the occasional school lunch; I don't know. My family's never been anti-beef, but we didn't go out of our way for it.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

I'm ineligible due to Mad Cow Disease.

The Red Cross wrote:You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed May 05, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Just booked myself in to donate blood the day after my last exam. Let's hope I don't drop below the 50Kg limit due to exam stress.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:
Nath wrote:

Yep.

Ah. And yikes. Hopefully, after x amount of time without symptoms you can donate again?

The thing about BSE is how little is known about it. They don't know the incubation period, they don't know how many people have been infected, they don't know if it's transmissible through blood, and so on. The lack of information is why the bans are so broad -- they don't want a repeat of the early AIDS epidemic, where for at least a decade contaminated blood was being sent out.

AJR

Postby AJR » Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:
Nath wrote:

Yep.

The thing about BSE is how little is known about it. They don't know the incubation period, they don't know how many people have been infected, they don't know if it's transmissible through blood, and so on. The lack of information is why the bans are so broad -- they don't want a repeat of the early AIDS epidemic, where for at least a decade contaminated blood was being sent out.

According to the explanation of the UK rules, there have been vCJD ("the human form of BSE") cases where transmission is thought to have been via blood transfusions. As you say, they don't know how many people are infected or what the incubation period is (although the falling numbers of vCJD cases might suggest something), and also that there is no way to test donated blood for it.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 am UTC

AJR wrote:
Carnildo wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:
Nath wrote:

Yep.

According to the explanation of the UK rules, there have been vCJD ("the human form of BSE") cases where transmission is thought to have been via blood transfusions. As you say, they don't know how many people are infected or what the incubation period is (although the falling numbers of vCJD cases might suggest something), and also that there is no way to test donated blood for it.

Ah, fair enough. Like I said before, you have to be very careful when dealing with blood. Hence the seemingly harsh regulations on blood donation.

SecondTalon wrote:From what I understand, when you donate plasma they suck out a pint or whatever of blood, get the plasma out, then put the plasma-free blood back. Donating blood involves them taking a pint of blood and keeping it for a game of bloodbag hockey in the basement later. Or, you know, using it for it's intended purpose of giving it to people who need it or else they'll die. Either or.

See, usually I get your sense of humor. But here I can't tell what you are responding to.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 10, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:From what I understand, when you donate plasma they suck out a pint or whatever of blood, get the plasma out, then put the plasma-free blood back. Donating blood involves them taking a pint of blood and keeping it for a game of bloodbag hockey in the basement later. Or, you know, using it for it's intended purpose of giving it to people who need it or else they'll die. Either or.
See, usually I get your sense of humor. But here I can't tell what you are responding to.
The difference between donating plasma and donating blood, and why (in this country, at least) you can get paid for one and not the other. Just neglecting the part of what they actually use the plasma for.

Bloodbag Hockey is SRS BSNZ.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ntietz

Postby ntietz » Mon May 10, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I technically can donate blood, but the third (and last) time I tried donating, I was deferred for a few days, because they couldn't find a vein. I have a bad history with donations, so I'm waiting for a while before I try again, so I don't waste their time. My first donation attempt went best: in 21 minutes, they filled almost half of the minimum donation amount, and half the time, their flow meter registered no blood flow. Surprisingly, despite them wiggling the needle in and out and around to get it going, I had virtually no bruising. The second time, I drank enough water over the week before it, and they couldn't even find a vein they could use. Same with the third time.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:From what I understand, when you donate plasma they suck out a pint or whatever of blood, get the plasma out, then put the plasma-free blood back. Donating blood involves them taking a pint of blood and keeping it for a game of bloodbag hockey in the basement later. Or, you know, using it for it's intended purpose of giving it to people who need it or else they'll die. Either or.
The difference between donating plasma and donating blood, and why (in this country, at least) you can get paid for one and not the other. Just neglecting the part of what they actually use the plasma for.

Bloodbag Hockey is SRS BSNZ.

Oh, you mean using it to make Plasma Grenades? ;)

In stores now.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Last time I went, my brother and I raced. His piddling 9:00 was flattened by my 7:50. And get to donate this week!One pint of O+ for a sausage roll and a chocolate milkshake. Aww, yeah.
Sapere aude.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 am UTC

Man, I remember those sausage rolls. But I used to get a vanilla milkshake :)

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Man, I remember those sausage rolls. But I used to get a vanilla milkshake :)

Dude. They make the whole thing worthwhile. Once I donated purely because I didn't have money for lunch.
Sapere aude.

AJR

Postby AJR » Tue May 11, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

You clearly get a better class of post-donation snack down under than we get here in old Blighty - we get the universal British solution to any problem: a cup of tea. (And some biscuits, but then, what kind of people would the National Blood Service be if they didn't provide biscuits with tea?)

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue May 11, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

Daojia wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Man, I remember those sausage rolls. But I used to get a vanilla milkshake :)

Dude. They make the whole thing worthwhile. Once I donated purely because I didn't have money for lunch.

We get either sloppy joes or ham and cheese sandwiches (I don't know if they rotate or what, but I have seen both but not at the same time), and actually get several drinks to choose from.

In stores now.

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

:(

I am not allowed to give blood. You must be 50kg. I am just over 40kg. Thus, I am not allowed.

This is good, as it means I can blame this instead of my fear of needles :P
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:04 am UTC

I'm giving blood pretty soon. The 19th, I think. First time. Also, I think all we get is some crappy sugary cookie and juice of some sort. I suppose it's about saving lives and all, but I can't help but feel a bit gipped.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Wed May 12, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

At my school blood drive we got stuff like Oreos and other similar packaged snacks, a PB&J, and as much Powerade or Water as you can handle (I had to waddle off to the restroom before I was really steady on my feet).

I gave double blood though, which was pretty neat, but I've been able to go for a few months but haven't had the chance. I really want to give blood, but I am kind of afraid of going in alone, though this is mostly due to my general shyness. I'm trying to get a bunch of friend together to so we can all go together, but it doesn't seem to be panning out so well.

oagersnap

Postby oagersnap » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

I've donated blood once, about a week ago. There was an entire lunch buffet with all kinds of delicious food, and even a freezer filled with diferent kinds of ice ceam to choose from. :D

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Wed May 26, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Canadian MD's say we should think about changing our blood donation policies with respect to gay men:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... exual.html

zlreitz

Postby zlreitz » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 am UTC

Both times I've tried to give blood, they couldn't find a vein, even though I drank plenty of water beforehand. Also, I'm right above the weight limit.

The first time I tried to donate, the older lady that tried to find my vein gave me a spiel about how "everyone's body is different" and that I was still growing, and maybe someday I'll be able to donate. That was horrible. But I got out of English class and had pizza. So.

Return to “General”