Why isn't buying food online popular?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gbagcn2

Why isn't buying food online popular?

Postby gbagcn2 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:35 am UTC

For some reason people would rather go to the grocery store

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Why isn't buying food online popular?

Postby Kewangji » Sun May 02, 2010 1:46 am UTC

you get to choose things and not just from a list, you get exposed to things. this makes you feel a bit more human even though it might be an ordeal.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 am UTC

I can see the package, check the best-before date, and read the ingredients. (I'm allergic to hella stuff.) If we're talking produce, I can pick it up and decide whether it'll last one day or five in my fridge.

If it's all standard stuff that I already know, like Campbell's anything or little coloured marshmellows, sure I'll order that online if the price + delivery charge is competitive. That's such a small volume of goods, though, that it will rarely be worth any company's time to cater specifically to me. They'll be set up for volume, or for niche markets that I don't find useful (exotic meats just don't appeal to this vegetarian, ya know?).
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun May 02, 2010 3:08 am UTC

You want something, you can do down to the store and buy it right away, or you can order it online and no longer be hungry by the time it arrives, and pay extra for delivery.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Going to the grocery is also a good excuse to get out of the house for a bit when you've spent the past eight hours on projects and various other soul/time sucking ordeals.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:you get to choose things and not just from a list, you get exposed to things.

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:You want something, you can do down to the store and buy it right away, or you can order it online and no longer be hungry by the time it arrives, and pay extra for delivery.

I like to pick and choose my food hands-on, same as clothing items. Basically anything I ingest or wear. I want to make sure they are what I think they are before buying them :P

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Going to the grocery is also a good excuse to get out of the house for a bit when you've spent the past eight hours on projects and various other soul/time sucking ordeals.

Bingo. I enjoy getting the out of the house as much as possible, even if it is just buying groceries.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

I still buy from my local butcher (who can tell me what individual animal and from what farm my meat comes from), local grocer, and local bakery; They all give me discount for being a regular customer, and if I go in can get me specific orders (want an uncut beef fillet to make beef wellington, no problem; want a victora sponge to serve 30 people, come back wednesday) as a nice plus the food is generally of a higher quality than supermarket food.

TL-DR: By forming personal relationships with the people supplying my food, I get exactly the food I want.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 02, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Few people buy food online => Few stores offer the service
Few stores offer the service => Few people can buy food online

Rinse & repeat.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

I don't have an online payment method, so that decides my options for me.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

I do my normal big food shop online. I'm a student, don't have a car and the only way to the supermarket from my house is two buses or a very long walk. It's cheaper for me and my housemates to club together and get a big order every so often then it is to get the bus. Instead, the Tesco van pulls up to my door and unloads various green trays full of all my shopping. Much easier and cheaper, even if I don't get to poke the fruit and veg myself.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun May 02, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

I don't do a weekly shop, so buying online seems pointless I just buy what I need when I need it (yay for being a student and living in a small town). I also have reservations about timing of delivery. I go shopping because I have time to go shopping (and I need stuff). If I ordered online, there's no guarantee it'd come exactly when it was convinient.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I still buy from my local butcher (who can tell me what individual animal and from what farm my meat comes from), local grocer, and local bakery; They all give me discount for being a regular customer, and if I go in can get me specific orders (want an uncut beef fillet to make beef wellington, no problem; want a victora sponge to serve 30 people, come back wednesday) as a nice plus the food is generally of a higher quality than supermarket food.

TL-DR: By forming personal relationships with the people supplying my food, I get exactly the food I want.

this.

Though where I live there aren't any shops that sell some of the more obscure ingredients for chinese/japanese/indian/thai/whatever cooking, so I get those things online. My housemates find it amusing that I get bags of spices and weird flour in the post.

Certhas

Postby Certhas » Sun May 02, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:I do my normal big food shop online. I'm a student, don't have a car and the only way to the supermarket from my house is two buses or a very long walk. It's cheaper for me and my housemates to club together and get a big order every so often then it is to get the bus. Instead, the Tesco van pulls up to my door and unloads various green trays full of all my shopping. Much easier and cheaper, even if I don't get to poke the fruit and veg myself.

I used to do the same when I was living in the UK. I think it is reasonably popular in the UK actually (maybe a higher number of people without a car?).

I was a bit sceptical at first, especially worrying that they would pick out the most dodgy produce, closest to end of shelf life stuff, but that has turned out to actually not be the case.
"I conclude that all is well," says Edipus, and that remark is sacred.
- Camus, The Myth of Sysiphus

Mental Health Break

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun May 02, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:I still buy from my local butcher (who can tell me what individual animal and from what farm my meat comes from), local grocer, and local bakery; They all give me discount for being a regular customer, and if I go in can get me specific orders (want an uncut beef fillet to make beef wellington, no problem; want a victora sponge to serve 30 people, come back wednesday) as a nice plus the food is generally of a higher quality than supermarket food.

this.

Though where I live there aren't any shops that sell some of the more obscure ingredients for chinese/japanese/indian/thai/whatever cooking, so I get those things online. My housemates find it amusing that I get bags of spices and weird flour in the post.

I'm really lucky in that respect, my grocer is actually a muslim grocer (it has a Halal meat counter too, but the local butcher has better meat) so I can get ingredients for most of the northern indian/pakistani dishes there, and as far as I'm concerned world foods means curries (so many different curries), meatballs, goulash and borscht.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

I guess food would also be hard to ship through the mail. Many things would need to be in a durable package and kept upright at all times, and no guarantees can be made about temperature. Then, if the box is too large to fit in your mailbox and has to be left at your door when you're not home, animals might find it.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue May 04, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

The issue, as others have said, is that people like to examine food up close and personal. While I'm actually happy to shop online, with fruit and vegetables you're kind of rolling the dice and hoping that its going to be the best kind. I find I need to look at apples, for example, to assess whether they're actually going to taste nice or not.

That said, i'm not convinced its THAT unpopular, and I expect it will only grow in popularity as time goes by.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

It's not really unpopular, certainly not in the UK. I don't do it these days because my house is literally 90 seconds walk from a huge supermarket, but 18 months ago, before I moved there, I used to shop online every week. I think pretty much all my relatives do as well (parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles). Online shopping is extremely helpful if you don't have a car, which I guess is far more common for Brits than it is for Americans.

There used to be significant problems with poor substitutions and quality for online shopping here (the UK), but that's got an awful lot better in the last couple of years. The main disadvantage, for me right now, is a cost/space problem - it's a £3+ delivery charge, which means it's probably only worthwhile if I do a full week's worth of shopping at once, and I don't always have enough fridge/freezer space (I share it with two housemates) for that.

EDIT: Ooh, my posts-per-day count is finally up to 1.00, groovy!

Return to “General”