Amount of Sleep each Night

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How many hours of sleep do you get each night?

No votes
2%
No votes
5%
8%
20%
37%
19%
6%
more
1%

Total votes: 83

lu6cifer

Amount of Sleep each Night

Postby lu6cifer » Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 am UTC

Interval notation FTW!!!

I was interested so I made a poll. And here's a bonus question---does the amount of sleep you get actually have a noticeable effect on your performance?

EDIT: changed the hours to intervals of one
Last edited by lu6cifer on Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Amount of Sleep each Night

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 am UTC

I voted, but I think your poll needs much finer divisions. There's a huge difference between the two ends of any of those ranges in terms of feeling rested and quality of performance.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I voted, but I think your poll needs much finer divisions. There's a huge difference between the two ends of any of those ranges in terms of feeling rested and quality of performance.

You speak truth.

And yeah, I see a huge difference in performance depending on amount of sleep. It's also cumulative - if I'm underslept multiple days in a row, I get less and less coherent while still thinking my ideas are all sound.

It's uh. Not good.

Sadly, "underslept" in my world is just about anything less than eight hours, so tomorrow is going to be one of those days!
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Anyone else on the uberman?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue May 04, 2010 11:12 am UTC

It varies wildly from five to ten hours, with the norm being 7 or 8, for me. Also, I'm sure I've seen this topic here before somewhere, but I might be imagining things.

icanus

Postby icanus » Tue May 04, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Six. Specifically 6 hours 15 minutes.

Anything less than six or more than six and half, and I'll feel like crap all day. Anything more than 8 and I'll get a 48 hour migraine.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue May 04, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Between 6 and 8 depending on when I get to sleep and when I actually start listening to my alarm. On weekdays anyway. Weekends is closer to 12 hours.
Most annoyingly, I'm most productive at about 11pm, which is when I need to be getting to bed if I want to wake up in time for school.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Anywhere between three and 12 for me...depends on the day of the week, what I have to do, and so forth...

I can function pretty comparably with either amount though...

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Like the previous poster, anywhere between three and twelve, but usually between six and seven on weekdays and about eight in the weekends. If I've slept less than six hours for many days or weeks in a row, I might get headaches and/or find it harder to concentrate on things.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

I can survive on < 6 hours for a day or so, but any more than that and I'm a zombie.
I can sustain 7 hours a night for a long period, but it does affect my performance. With 7h, I'm struggling to maintain focus during longer lectures.
I can go indefinitely on 8 hours and fly out of bed in the morning with energy and will to live.
I can also sleep 9-11 hours if I'm sleep deprived.

I usually end up getting 6-8 hours.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Syntax_Error

Postby Syntax_Error » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Usually between 5 and 6, depends on my work load.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

I'm highly variable - 4 hours on some nights, 10 hours on others.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Litof

Postby Litof » Tue May 04, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Generally between seven and eight hours.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 am UTC

Would be interesting to see what sort of activities people do during their days as well. Like, cerebral work? Manual labor? Paper shoveling?

You, sir, name? wrote:I usually end up getting 6-8 hours.

^-- is a full time student.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I usually get eight, but sometimes less. My attentiveness does vary with amount of sleep, but it scales weirdly. I feel almost normal if I get 4 or 5 hours one night, yet 6-7 and I feel a bit tired.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Insomnia grants me 6 if I'm lucky... otherwise about 3 :|
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 am UTC

I usually get around 6-8 hours of sleep each night. For every thirty minutes below that target, I require an additional shot of espresso to achieve sanity.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 am UTC

I also get 6-8 hours of sleep a night, generally. On weekdays anyway. On weekends it's closer to 10. My problem is getting enough consecutive hours of sleep. I wake up a lot. A LOT. I am a pretty restless sleeper, and when I wake up, I don't always feel like I've gotten any sleep at all. I also have anxiety about being late to work, so I tend to wake up at least half an hour before the alarm clock goes off, and then keep checking it until it finally goes.

Recently, I've been sleepwalking (?), and getting up in the middle of the night, showering, brushing my teeth, and sometimes doing my hair and makeup before I realize that it's actually 1 in the morning, and not time to go to work at all. It makes me a very sad (and tired the next day) panda.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Recently, I've been sleepwalking (?), and getting up in the middle of the night, showering, brushing my teeth, and sometimes doing my hair and makeup before I realize that it's actually 1 in the morning, and not time to go to work at all. It makes me a very sad (and tired the next day) panda.

This is exactly what happens to me (minus the part about makeup). Unfortunately, my semi-somnambulistic self doesn't know how to adjust the water temperature in my shower. Waking up in the middle of a frigid shower feeling disorientated is not the best way to begin a day.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed May 05, 2010 3:44 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I also get 6-8 hours of sleep a night, generally. On weekdays anyway. On weekends it's closer to 10. My problem is getting enough consecutive hours of sleep. I wake up a lot. A LOT. I am a pretty restless sleeper, and when I wake up, I don't always feel like I've gotten any sleep at all.

A lot of this for me, as well.

My optimum is eight or nine hours without interruption. Either is pretty okay, though nine is better. Six I can function on for a day or so, but seven leaves me weirdly groggy. Less than six hours means it feels like my eyes are burning for a non-trivial portion of the day.

In general I seldom manage to get to sleep quickly - a good night is a half hour until I fall asleep. A bad night is 3+ hours. And like Sarah, getting to sleep doesn't always mean staying asleep. I have a complex and suboptimal relationship with sleep. /:

I do generally manage to catch up for at least one day on the weekend, though.

My daytime activity is IT work, where I am supposed to be coherently writing functional docs, doing test cases and troubleshooting issues with the software development project I work on.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed May 05, 2010 3:59 am UTC

Interestingly, BBC just published an articleon the correlation between sleep and death rates.

I'm a part time student, part time call center worker, and I get about 7 hours a night. I can function on 6 hours indefinately, but with degraded performance. I can work off of even less for periods of time (down to no sleep for a couple of days), but I can't keep it up. With no outside influences (ie, on vacation with nothing to do), I'll eventually settle into 8 hours a night after repaying my sleep debt.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:Interval notation FTW!!!

I was interested so I made a poll. And here's a bonus question---does the amount of sleep you get actually have a noticeable effect on your performance?

EDIT: changed the hours to intervals of one

Sleep deprivation noticeably increases my self-esteem while shortening my attention span and decreasing my ability to think critically. You could almost call it a mind-altering drug.

I sleep eight hours when there is no set schedule, but have to cope with far less under pressure: I try to get a minimum of four hours, but sometimes work through the night when something is due in the morning. Once worked through two consecutive nights and then slept most of the third day.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “General”