Songs that you get 'obsessed' with.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ferretbot

Postby ferretbot » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:16 am UTC

I did this with "The Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton" by The Mountain Goats. It got something like 60 plays in my itunes playlist over a course of 2 days.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... tain+goats

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:36 am UTC

ferretbot wrote:I did this with "The Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton" by The Mountain Goats. It got something like 60 plays in my itunes playlist over a course of 2 days.

Is that supposed to be some spoof or something?

ferretbot

Postby ferretbot » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
ferretbot wrote:I did this with "The Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton" by The Mountain Goats. It got something like 60 plays in my itunes playlist over a course of 2 days.

no, its just the mountain goats. That was the first track on a concept album about west Texas.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:59 am UTC

ferretbot wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

no, its just the mountain goats. That was the first track on a concept album about west Texas.

Okay I watched it again just to make sure that I watched the right video

And...... to me it still sounded like a spoof of death metal and how some bands are Satanic. If that was the case they were misinterperating satanism and also Death metal (considering if a death metal-esque band claims to be satanic then they're usually Black Metal and not Death Metal).

But then again I couldn't really hear what he was saying.

ferretbot

Postby ferretbot » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 am UTC

lyrics- http://www.themountaingoats.net/lyrics/ahwtx_lyr.html

I've always interpreted it as sort of a portrait of a naive couple of kids.

but then I'm often wrong about things.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC

Well it may not be a spoof but it seems as though it's getting a bit mixed up about satanism but who doesn't make mistakes about things.

frymaster

Postby frymaster » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:14 am UTC

apologies for the content delivery system, but this:

http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/se ... FORMANCES2

has been playing constantly on my computer.

If anyone knows how to record the sound off that, or even how to (gasp) buy it, I'd be grateful :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:02 pm UTC

Holy shit bots can talk on topic now?

Edit: You're not a bot are you?

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:Wave of Mutliation's not an album, dude, it's a song, and then later a compilation!

I should get a copy of Come on Pilgrim. Is that the one with Caribou on it? I've only heard that song on a "live" DVD.

erm, no. Thats on Surfer Rosa. But some versions of Surfer Rosa have Come On Pilgrim on them. (I guess it's actually Surfer Rosa/ Come On Pilgrim, w/ever).

Also I'm hooked on Sufjan Stevens now :?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:04 pm UTC

as far as i know, in the uk you can only get 'come on pilgrim' on the same cd as 'surfer rosa', but i think in other parts of the world you can get them separately. i just checked the orignal tracklists on wikipedia though and then put it as 2 different albums on my mp3 player, becase that number of songs is a bit much to be listening to in one go, and i like to be thorough and listen to an album properly.

caribou is the first song on 'come on pilgrim' i believe, it is amazing. i only ever had it on the at the bbc album before, but yeah, that was stuck in my head for a few days then.

and i believe the pet shop boys were mentioned earlier in this thread? i had thought that the pet shop boys were the ultimate beautiful cheesy pop, until i found... ELO. i may just be on my first ELO wave though and will realise the ultimate superiority of the pet shop boys in this category again soon.
slow down, you move too fast

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:40 pm UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:caribou is the first song on 'come on pilgrim' i believe, it is amazing. i only ever had it on the at the bbc album before, but yeah, that was stuck in my head for a few days then.

Damn, I thought cos it went to another line on the tracklisting.... well I knew it was on the Purple Tape cos the trackilisting's in the Pixies DVD. Now I listen to it again, I can tell that the drums are too crap and the production generally bad that it must be on Come On Pilgrim. Well I think it works quite well as a whole album :P Edit: well, if you buy them seperately, you pay more money?

So the song I'm currently obsessed with is Ratts Of The Capital by Mogwai. I have a really cool peel session of that

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:38 pm UTC

yeah... for some reason they put 'come on pilgrim' after 'surfer rosa' on the combined cd, even though it came first...

and yeah, i probably did save money, especially since i got it from avalanche for a fiver :D do you get avalanche outside scotland? it is a great independent record shop which is very cheap and sometimes even give you free cds if you spend a lot. kind of like everything you want fopp to be but it actually isn't.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:28 am UTC

Whats wrong with Fopp?

Actually I got it in an HMV sale for £6. But the last time there was a sale there it was £3. and it skips on Gigantic cos i lent it to someone, and it came back a-skippin'. Still, dl'd Gigantic so that s ok :P

Edit: can people use [URL=http://url]text for long URLs, so that the pages still fit.

Just finishing listening to () by Sigur rós.

Mister 4

Postby Mister 4 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:35 am UTC

() is a brilliant album.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:37 am UTC

Yeah. Listening to Tegan and Sarah - So Jealous (the album). But I was listening to the song just now - its currently Speak Slow.

And its all Hermaj's fault :D

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:58 am UTC

Ah, my copy of Surfer Rosa is a really old one without any bonus stuff on it. The way it should be. All hail second-hand CDs.

Gelsamel: I have not heard the particular Mountain Goats song in question. But what you have to realize about the Mountain Goats is that they (he, really, but the band name is plural) don't really write songs about things in the general sense, they write songs about the experiences of people. If the song misunderstands metal it's because either its characters misunderstand metal or because the misunderstanding is what you would simply see looking at the story from anyone else's perspective. That the characters of the song are in a metal band is just a way for Darnielle to access them. I've listened to a few Goats albums, and they frequently place their characters' vulnerabilities, embarassments and failures at the forefront of their songs, but never intending to slight them. It's easy to put on a Goats album and laugh derisively at the characters in it, because they are put up there like that, but it really pisses me off when people do that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Goats' music is a telling. It's often more like literature than it is like song.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:01 am UTC

aldimond wrote:Ah, my copy of Surfer Rosa is a really old one without any bonus stuff on it. The way it should be. All hail second-hand CDs.

Actually no. There was a different label in the US so it was released separately there. 4AD released it in the UK, always with Come On Pilgrim. At some point they got the American rights, but they kept the CDs separate there. So if you're in the US, you probably won't find Surfer Rosa/ Come On Pilgrim.

Happiness in Magazines by Graham Coxon :P

Edit: Our Kid A by the Shirehorses

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:51 am UTC

lately ive been waking up and starting my playlist at different tracks depending on my mood... when the songs start getting boring i start a new album... songs have usually been

combichrist-enjoy the abuse(for when im feeling not nice)
dir en grey-berry(something i can pilot a gundam to)
mind.in.a.box-lost alone and dreamweb[albums](playing through both albums is a must for this band)
pink floyd-dark side of the moon and the wall, a bit of meddle and wish you were here[albums](usually under the influence while listening to this)
psyclon nine-inri(i like the intro)
angelspit-vena cava(powerfully anger inducing)
and one-military fashion show(happier, sexy, bodypop.)
sang.rael-inside of you(for when i want to seem creepy to girls)
velvet acid christ-lust, for, blood(three songs, great piano in blood, i listen to this while writing angry emails)
rage against the machine-bullet in the head(for when the machine gets me down)
conetik-daydream(theres this ringing in this song that drives me nuts, but its addicting)

and finally, this
and if youre persistent enough to go find the lyrics theyre actually pretty good..
i mustve looped that animation at least fiddy times
infact im going to go watch it right now.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:29 pm UTC

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Since You've Been Gone.

Fantastic.

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 pm UTC

mother-danzig
guitar hero II has totally rekindled my love with this song
after gta:sa i was like this song rocks
but its so much better to play guitar hero to it
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:45 pm UTC

My brother sent me a CD so after I finish ripping that I'll be listening to it for the next 4 hours or so...

AwesomesauceOnCeilingfish

Postby AwesomesauceOnCeilingfish » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:03 pm UTC

All Hail West Texas seems to be my favourite Mountain Goats Album.

Current Obessions:
Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton, Knives Don't have your back, paticularly the track Doctor Blind.
Yo-Yo Ma, Six unaccompanied cello suites, Bach (I heart cello, and I heart bach)

Long term Obessions - Architecture in Helsinki- Fingers Crossed, Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

I am a giant music geek.
whatwhat

fb0t

Postby fb0t » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:27 pm UTC

The Grey Album - DJ Danger Mouse

Also, i saw Kashmir somewhere in this thread, a foreign exchange student in my school from Denmark loves that band. its quite hardcore.
2A
R.I.P. Junkmachine -- You Are Missed

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Whats wrong with Fopp?

nothing's really wrong with fopp, it's a brilliant shop compared to most of the big chain music shops... just my friend works there, and says that underneath the 'alternative, independent' facade it actually is pretty regulated and chain-y. fopp is great, don't get me wrong, it's just that avalanche is actually a fairly ideal music shop as far as i'm concerned, for the time being at least.

today i listened to 'fly' by nick drake a fair few times.

also a recent obsession was the beatles - honey pie. i absolutely loved that song for a while.

Kurasuke

Postby Kurasuke » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:49 am UTC

Lesse...
At the Drive-In-Schaffino
or Star Slight
The Clash- Train in Vain
Operation Ivy-Sound System
Tsunami Bomb-Lemonade
David Bowie- The Man Who Sold the World

More often than songs is albums though so I guess some albums I come back to very frequently would be:
ATDI-Acrobatic Tenement+Relationship of Command
The Clash-London Calling
Operation Ivy-Energy
And all of The Mars Volta's studio albums.

yy2bggggs

Postby yy2bggggs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:22 am UTC

For some reason, most songs I obsess over wind up on sound tracks

• Inner Universe (GITS:SAC)
  • Brothers (Hagaren)
  • Worthy of Your Soul (Reign the Conqueror)
    Others that unexplainably reach deep into my psyche...

• Going the distance (Cake)
  • Another Drinkin Song (Bosstones)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:41 am UTC

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Dead Cold Place <3

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 pm UTC

Currently listenign non-stop to two Aquabats albums

Fury Of The Aquabats, and Charge.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:43 pm UTC

Explosions in the Sky - Glittering Blackness (the other one was a CD)

and the next song is Time Stops. glorious!

which reminds me: Breeders - Glorious 8)

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm UTC

Double-post, sorry, but had to bump it

On the Surfer Rosa/ Come On Pilgrim thing, Caribou is on both CDs, but presumably the same version, else there would be 2 of them on my CD. As its last song on Surfer Rosa/ first song on Come On Pilgrim, I guess it makes sense that Surfer Rosa is before Come on Pilgrim on the combined CD.

So the song I am obsessed with now is Godspeed You Black Emperor. And I didnt realise you had to have the songs on repeat for it to count - I get obsessed with albums, and like to listen to them in order.

strangequarks

Postby strangequarks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:53 pm UTC

Buton wrote:I've been obsessed with Philip Glass's Metamorphosis (all 5 movements)

The other week I got sucked into 'Descent into the Maelstrom' by Philip Glass. It's groovy.

I have been obsessed with far too many songs to list them. Thankfully there are none that currently obsess me, but the most recently recurring ones are Heal me, I'm heartsick by No Vacancy on the School of Rock soundtrack, and Trashed and Scattered by Avenged Sevenfold.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:24 pm UTC

yy2bggggs wrote:Another Drinkin Song (Bosstones)

I skipped out on my senior prom to see Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the Offspring in concert. I stand by that decision. :)
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:20 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:On the Surfer Rosa/ Come On Pilgrim thing, Caribou is on both CDs, but presumably the same version, else there would be 2 of them on my CD. As its last song on Surfer Rosa/ first song on Come On Pilgrim, I guess it makes sense that Surfer Rosa is before Come on Pilgrim on the combined CD.

Must be a UK vs. US thing, because Caribou is for sure not the last song on my version of Surfer Rosa.

So y'guys across the pond didn't get Radio Radio on This Year's Model or What's so Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding on Armed Forces (Elvis Costello's first two albums with the Attractions). And the US version of The Clash is widely regarded as better than the UK version (some purists might argue that... whatever). But Caribou trumps all that. I've only heard the song once, and it gets stuck in my head all the time.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:Must be a UK vs. US thing, because Caribou is for sure not the last song on my version of Surfer Rosa
.... Caribou trumps all that. I've only heard the song once, and it gets stuck in my head all the time.

Well, its on Come On Pilgrim. Also that has Ed Is Dead, an amazing surf song, and I've Been Tired, which is very funny.
Frank Black wrote:I said losing my penis to a whore with disease, just kidding I said, losing my life to whore with disease... I'm a humble guy

Also, Levitate Me = wow!

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:36 am UTC

caribou and i've been tired are probably my favourite songs on that cd, they are brilliant. there's nothing like the pixies, i saw them in edinburgh last year and they were amazing.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:44 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:caribou and i've been tired are probably my favourite songs on that cd, they are brilliant. there's nothing like the pixies, i saw them in edinburgh last year and they were amazing.

Bastard!

Edit: Mogwai - New Paths To Helicon 1
Boards of Canada - Amo Bishop Roden

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am UTC

Max Romeo - I Chase The Devil :P

BaldAdonis

Postby BaldAdonis » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 am UTC

Well, a bit late, but hey, it got bumped, so:

Country Roads, Take Me Home.

Once I saw "Whisper of the Heart", I've listened to every version I have (John Denver, Me First and The Gimme Gimmes, a house/dance remix of John Denver's, and a local musician's version) and I've been looking for Olivia Newton John's since hearing it in the Ghibli film.

"Almost heaven, West Virginia..."

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 am UTC

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Dead Flag Blues (intro)

just got to a really cool bit 11 minutes in. the guitar is so awesome!!

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm UTC

i have listened to 'Initiation' by At The Drive In about 100 times in the last week...

Return to “General”