Worst Dreams Ever

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Re: Worst Dreams Ever

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 am UTC

I've had dreams of sleep paralysis. I don't mean that I have sleep paralysis, but that I actually have dreams of being sleep-paralysed. It was weird when I realised I had the same dream at least a dozen times in two seconds--I'd wake up sleep-paralysed, and the numbers on my alarm clock were jumbled nonsense, and I'd fall back asleep and dream I was on a polar icebreaker ship in the middle of night, repeating itself, over the course of a couple seconds.

That was when I realised I didn't actually have sleep paralysis, but merely dreamt it.

Such dreams are more common when I am sleeping facedown and my sinuses are filled with snot, because then I am paralysed and suffocating. Highly uncomfortable.

HarmoniousMembrane

Postby HarmoniousMembrane » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

I had a dream yesterday. I was waking up, as usual, looking forward to a long, free day of doing nothing much, when I'm called by my friends, who exclaim something similar to "Dude, where are you, the exam's about to start!" Instantly, I jump up in bed, think "Oh God, I've forgotten it", etc. I've had worse dreams, but that Oh shit moment is hard to beat.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

I had this one dream that would repeatedly haunt me as a little kid (approximately from age 6 to 12) and had actually affected me for a long time.

It started with the family out somewhere where the car would be left in a fairly large parking lot, usually like a shopping mall or an amusement park... The dream never dwelled on that bit for too long. Then we would be leaving and getting into the car and buckling up (there were a few more children than is usual for our family, but dream thought process ignores this) when we would hear a whirring noise and see a multi-colored light head towards the car. We would stare at it in wonder for a second, and then there would be a flash followed by a dramatic pan out through the windshield and over our skeletons, now emancipated of skin and clothing, which would either be sitting horrified in the seats or be suddenly on the hood of the car.

This caused me to just wake up many times late at night (or not be able to sleep) and be convinced that something would hover up to my window and kill me up until I was around 15.

I had a really unsettling one after my friend Catherine disappeared. In the dream we found him, but his head just ended in a gory mess above the jaw. What was really weird is that everyone, including the cat, acted as if this was normal. By the end of the dream he had started to rot and I finally had to alliw myself to accept that he was dead/dying instead of ignoring such a silly thought.

Another one I don't exactly remember, but I remember it was strange. I was not having a lucid dream, but within that dream there were several layers of lucid and non-lucid dreams and at times they would just sorta get torn apart and collapse looking something like that bit in Howl's Moving Castle where (Spoiler!) Sophie is witnessing Howl catch a star and that falls apart.
Waking up from that was confusing because I had already "woken" four or five times.

And of course the ones where my gf would leave me or I would leave her indream and wake up feeling terrible. I once got as far as writing out an apology text in my half-awake stupor and be about to hit send when I realized what was going on.

the_mean_marine

Postby the_mean_marine » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 am UTC

I had one at the age of about 8 or so where I dreamed I was away at a summer camp and in the middle of the night everyone grew really dense octopus style suckers all over their skin and when disturbed it peeled off in clumps and left horribly raw and pinkish skin underneath. The most disturbing thing about it was not the content but how real it felt. I can usually distinguish my dreams from reality but it was so vivid in this case that I had no clue until I woke up.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Three different dreams I can think of could qualify for my worst ever:

The dream I remember most vividly is a recurring straight-up nightmare I had when I was a kid. I would be doing something vaguely normal, then suddenly a wolf would appear and chase me. I always ended up running around a maze-like dream version of my childhood home, except it was much bigger and none of the doors/corridors went where I expected them to. This normally ended either with the wolf cornering me, or with me shutting myself in a room, turning around and discovering that I'd locked myself in with another wolf. Seriously, as a kid I was terrified of wolves - I blame fairy tales.

When I was near the end of secondary school, something like 15-17 years old, I had a major crush on a girl who used to get the same bus (and later taxi, when the number of people at the school from our village fell to 4) as me. I had a few dreams which were ultra-realistic and deceptively plausible where I got together with her. It was so depressing when I realised one of these wasn't real - that normally took a few minutes, but at least once it was days before I was sure it hadn't actually happened.

On a similar note, more recently - a few months ago, I guess - I had a dream where I went to a friend's house party, met an awesome girl, had a great time, fell in love, then woke up. She was absolutely perfect (but then what do you expect, she was literally my 'dream girl'). Waking up and realising I was single and would probably never meet a girl as awesome as her was really depressing.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:56 am UTC

The worst ones are ones that you don't know if they are real or not for several days. I jave had a few mundane versions of those.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Here is one of my worst nightmares, which I started having when I was 8 or so and has recurred every so often (largely without any link to events in my life):

I wake up in my room, wherever it is. My dream starts as your typical "Go through morning routine while dreaming" deal - I walk downstairs, get some food, and all the while there's no one around. Nothing. Worse still, none of the lights work, but it's neglible because there are windows and sun. I start looking around for my family and neighbors, but everyone is gone. Suddenly spiderwebs are everywhere, but I'm still the only person around. No electronics are working at all, and every method of transport I have is either not working or wrapped up in the spiderwebs, which I know I shouldn't touch.

I leave my house and walk down the streets. At this point, everything is covered in this thick, silky cobweb material, like the fake stuff in halloween but more transparent, real. I walk the three miles to the hospital, and there's signs of life - the windows are all luminescent and yellow. Everything is gray at this point, either because of the cobwebs or this ashy stuff that was spreading everywhere.

When I walk into the hospital, everyone is there, moving about as if they were waiting for someone to start talking at a town meeting. There are hundreds of people - those I know, those I don't know, faces I've seen once or twice, all just standing around bored. I walk up to people to try and figure out what's going on, and they start screaming. Not a high-pitched scream, not ear-splittingly loud screams, but just shrieks of abject terror that chill you to the bone. Everyone I approached would scream, and then whither away.

Have you seen pictures of holocaust victims, the shirvelled, taut-skin sacks of bones? Imagine someone you know going from perfectly fine to that state in ten seconds, screaming all the while. Their skin paled and sank, their eyes drew back into their sockets, their hair fell out as they ripped at it in agony. Then, they're done, gone. Everyone in that hospital - through the corridors, in the rooms, even a cafeteria, everyone screamed and whithered as I approached; and I kept going up to people.

Finally, everyone was gone, husks of themselves. I just sat there for awhile, among the corpses, unable to move or breath. Then, as I get up to walk away, the husks get up with me. I run through the corridors, trying to get to a door or a decently low-level window, but I'm suddenly on the fourth floor of my maze-like school. The husks are all grabbing me, ripping at my clothes and skin, and just absolutely flooding my path with bodies. It's like that one scene out of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," when the chick stumbles through the snake-wall into the room where the corpses just keep flinging themselves at her.

Finally, I'll come to an open hallway - the husks behind me and a door in front of me. Then, out of nowhere, a woman appears, like a husk, but worse. Her eyes and mouth are just ragged holes of black - there's no end or beginning of them. Her mouth is slack, as wide as that one Halloween mask (The Scream, I think). Lining her maw are singular, pearl-white shark teeth. Her body is as bony as a skeleton, but is obscured by time-stained white rags that were perhaps a robe in some age past. She is fear in-fucking-carnate.

I can't move as she approaches me, and the husks leave me alone. The Woman stops one foot from my face, opens up her mouth (which, up to this point, was closed and looked normal), and tackles me to the floor.

She rips out my eyes and tears into my torso with her hands and mouth. Even though I'm "blind," I can see everything happening in 3rd person as my limbs are sheared off and mauled. When she gets off of me, I look exactly like her, but in male form.

All of this is incredibly vivid and, despite my growing lucidity when this occurs (once I remember thinking "This is a dream!"), I can't wake up before the end. The end always happens - sometimes the waking up bit is skipped, sometimes I just pop up with the husks chasing me, but the woman is always the final part.

I just had the dream again. I haven't slept in three days. I really wish it would just stop.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 am UTC

My goodness, thorgold, that is a brutal dream. And I thought I had a bad dream. I sincerely hope it goes away.

I can only remember the end of my dream vividly because it was the most graphic. I was decapitated by a some sort of wide-blade falchion or machete in my kitchen. The entity that did this to me then picked my head up and tossed me into the microwave and turned it on. The light came on and the microwave started whirring, but my head was too large/heavy to let the tray spin. I was mouthing "No" over and over again. unable to vocalize due to my obvious lack of lungs. A pressure and heat started building up in my head, and I felt my brain rupturing from the inside outwards. All the while I was screaming in what's left of my head in agony. At this point I lost vision and everything turned to white as my eyes exploded out of my skull.

I woke up to find copious amounts of blood pouring out of my nose, which thankfully subsided after a while.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 am UTC

Gypped wrote:I woke up to find copious amounts of blood pouring out of my nose, which thankfully subsided after a while.

Eurgh, that's almost as bad as a lucid nightmare - having your dream physically effect your body.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 am UTC

Everyone's genitals were replaced with dried jerky.

Someone pass me the brain-bleach?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Everyone's genitals were replaced with dried jerky.

Someone pass me the brain-bleach?

People weren't eating the jerky, were they? Pass the bleach.

Also, yay sleeping pills.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Here's an extremely weird dream from a year ago:

It started out with me babysitting Oprah's kids. (I don't get it either; I don't even know if Oprah has kids.) I was looking out the front door when some guy in an black '80s luxury car slowed down in front of the house, pulled out a pistol, and stared at me straight in the eyes. I told the children to go into the kitchen and stay there. The guy continued down the road, still holding the pistol, but not pointing it at anything. I closed the front door and locked it. Later, a different (big) guy bashed in the door and started waving a gun around while the original (thin) guy put various not-particularly-valuable things into a tan pillowcase. The kids and I hid behind the couch. When the thin guy threatened the smallest kid, I got up and tried to punch him in the face, and he shot me in the arm. I didn't feel it at first, but when I looked at my arm, the skin was all ripped up and there was a green stripe on my arm, which soon became painful. I called Oprah to come and take the kids to someplace safe, which she did, and then I went around town asking for doctors to help with my arm. Everybody I talked to said it was just a flesh wound and to brush it off. The pain kept getting worse, and this was by no means a flesh wound. (It got quite graphic by the end.) By the time I felt that I was totally insignificant and would never get help even if my arm fell off, I woke up.

I couldn't move my arm. This is where I really freaked out. The cat had been sitting on it and had cut off the circulation. Every other part of my body was fine, just my arm was numb and unable to move. It took 5 minutes of massaging and shaking my arm to get things back to normal. It was sore in the same way a fallen-asleep leg is sore after unbending it. I checked the clock when I woke up, and I had only been asleep for an hour. No permanent damage was done.

It's surprising how external stimuli can affect dreams, but couldn't my body have just woken me up instead of putting me through this whacked-out nightmare? Why did the guys only steal non-valuable things? Why Oprah?

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

The night before a big test or an important trip, or even something I have to wake up early for, I will always dream that I missed it or otherwise screwed something up. The month before school starts was horrible.

Back in my days of really bad baseball obsession, I dreamed that my favorite player got demoted to double-A. It scared me so bad that I couldn't sleep because I wanted to know if it had actually happened (he had been doing pretty badly).

And I used to have dreams that one of my really close guy friends (whichever was closest to me at the time) would start dating one of my girl friends, and often he'd completely forget about me. Usually I'd ignore it. Then it actually happened. *sigh*
Chaoszerom wrote:Someone hit someone else in the face with a fire extinguisher in the first 100 words, I can't let that slide!

It's a good day to kick some ass.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

I think my latest nightmare can be summed up in three words:

Fucking. Slender. Man.

Pandorly

Postby Pandorly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

My God, Slender Man has to be one of the freakiest things in the world. My sympathies.

Last night I dreamed that I was raped by Gimli from LotR in my boyfriend's back garden which was also my local pub somehow. It was seen by the bar man and my boyfriend's mother and they told him before I did. Except they left out the part where it was non-consensual. When I went to tell him what had happened he believed me but seemed cynical. What a strange and disturbing dream.
'Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition(!!!).' - Adam Smith

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:I think my latest nightmare can be summed up in three words:

Fucking. Slender. Man.

Pleasant Dreams.
(oh god seriously thorgold you probably shouldn't open this)
Spoiler:
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thorgold wrote:I think my latest nightmare can be summed up in three words:

Fucking. Slender. Man.

Pleasant Dreams.
(oh god seriously thorgold you probably shouldn't open this)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I personally find the pictures of Slendy spider-climbing with extra tendril-limbs scarier than him stretching. It's easier to imagine him moving quickly without giggling.

I once dreamed everyone (everyone) died but me. It started with me walking out of my room one morning and finding my family's bodies sitting around the kitchen table and I didn't know what had happened....
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Alarm goes off at 6. It's across the room so I get up, hit the snooze button, and get back in bed. Goes off again at 6:10. I believe what happened is that I dreamed that I got up and hit the off button, and then I wondered why it hadn't stopped, then woke up and realized I had dreamed it.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:42 am UTC

I had a dream that my ex (who I still like a bit, and certainly admire and respect a great deal; we are on good terms in RL) who is in the military IRL, was killed. I was at the funeral, and woke myself up crying.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:32 am UTC

I can never really remember any of my dreams, but one thing I do know about my dreams is that I never wake up before I hit the ground. I can remember parts of dreams where I have been falling (the most vivid one is from a second floor window at my house) and crashing into the ground. The wind gets knocked from me and I lay there. Usually at that point I snap awake gasping for breath and sore all over. Though I will say that it probably isn't as bad as my cousin who used to dream that he got killed (he was killed quite often in his dreams)....
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

My worst dreams aren't things that happen to me, they're usually me doing terrible things to other people, things that are psychologically jarring to me. Usually I don't even dream, and when I do dream they're usually not bad dreams at all. But on the rare occasion they are, they really stick out. The earliest bad dream I can remember was me running some kind of dog fighting ring. Another involved me being some kind of torture chamber master or something. The most recent one was me cheating on my girlfriend.

Things I'd never do in real life, but somehow they crop up in my dreams, and they disturb me.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Return to “General”