Official Kids Thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kids!

Got em!
3%
Want em!
30%
Hate em!
8%
Never!
19%
Sex makes babies?!
25%
Am em!
15%

Total votes: 88

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Official Kids Thread

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

There's gotta be some forumites like me, for better or worse, accidentally or (snort) purposefully, who have reproduced. I figured this would be a good place for us all to talk about how awesome our kids are, and how much other kids (and parents) suck. That does seem to be, after all, what all my parental-type friends do in their spare time.... if they aren't lauding their own offspring, they're deriding everyone elses.

On the other hand, maybe some people here genuinely like kids :) I hope they talk.

I have two kids, five and one. I will use their forum-names (for the record, on another forum, I am Zalgon and my wife is Throkmorton). Five year old (Zalgite) and one year old (Throkette) spend their days driving my wife nuts, and their nights driving ME nuts. I mentioned my son in the Death thread, so I won't repeat all that stuff here, except what he said last night.

"I'm never dying, right?" He said it with this superhero resolve, it was so tragically cute.

Ok, who else here has unholy spawn?

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

i don't want them now, but when i'm in a more stable financial situation, and i hope to have a girlfriend/wife that isn't batshit crazy(i think it might be me), then sure.

so maybe 4 to 6 years from now.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Where's the option that say
"Sure, but not at this time"

At the moment i think kids are great, as long as I can hand them back when they need proper raising.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Why did I have to choose between Never! and Hate em!?

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Because there are people like me who don't hate kids, but would never, never, never want to reproduce. Ever.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:Where's the option that say
"Sure, but not at this time"

That would be "Want em!"

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

I find they taste best with potatoes and chili, and not older than nine, then they start getting stringy.

I don't plan on growing my own any time soon though, for practical, economical, romantical and development reasons.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!

Postby Thunderbird4! » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

Wheres the "I'm still a kid physically not just mentally and emotionally" choice?
d33p wrote:xkcd: We keep people from jumping off of shit

mudge wrote:Taking cat-proximity laws out of lolcats is like taking friction out of sex.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Thunderbird4! wrote:Wheres the "I'm still a kid physically not just mentally and emotionally" choice?

EDIT: Apologies, seriously misread that. I hate Mondays.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!

Postby Thunderbird4! » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Stress was on physically there, as I am asssuming someone who has kids isn't still a kid.
d33p wrote:xkcd: We keep people from jumping off of shit

mudge wrote:Taking cat-proximity laws out of lolcats is like taking friction out of sex.

hencethus

Postby hencethus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Here's my kids 6 months ago. The boy is now almost one year old, and the girl is almost two.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

hencethus wrote:Image

Braaaaaiiiiiins!

And mine :) Fairly recent (last 3 months). Daughter eating asparagus, son eating pizza. Then daughter eating camera.

Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

cute kids, they have the same cheeks!
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

I am definitely having kids. Because I love kids. I also kinda love the idea of being preggers. But right now I'm 20 and not nearly emotionally, financially, or romantically ready for that. I think I want to wait until I'm 30 or so.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

I totally want me a brood one day, I'm convinced I can raise them to be awesome in every way possible. As an Englishman living in foreign lands I've taught kids of a pretty decent variety of ages (seriously, if you need easy money, go to any foreign country and just walk into language schools, they will throw jobs at you if you don't just go to the capital city), so I'm thinking i could handle them. I just have to hope this orchitis doesn't leave me sterile, otherwise i'm gonna have to become a teacher full time, that or a celebrity, they love adopting kids.
Heaven is for the hedonist

Melissa63l

Postby Melissa63l » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

I love kids. I want to have some at some point.

As soon as I find a man whose genes I feel are worthy of progenation. (Suddenly not sure if that's a word...)

Also, he'd have to be someone I'd want to be around for a while... so... yeah.

On the other hand, if I get to... oh... say... 30... and haven't found him yet, I'll just do it myself.

It can't possibly be *that* hard to get pregnant, people do it all the time, right?

:D

In the meantime, I keep borrowing other peoples' kids to practice on. I've taught my friends' six-year-old to play chess and fold basic origami, and I'm cultivating their ten-year-old's book-lust.

I'll be a *good* mom someday... I bake excellent cookies.

Melissa
Sometimes it's love, sometimes it's lust... sometimes it's Tuesday.

Aaahhh... a month of Tuesdays.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

[predictable]

::clicks "never"::

I will enjoy my money and free time and consequence-free sex, thanks.

Kids are very occasionally worth being around, and that's about all I can say for them.

[/predictable]
Last edited by Belial on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

I'm weird. I don't like kids most of the time, an extension of not liking adults most of the time either. Despite that, I want to have kids someday. I have this image of success being like that. Also I'd want to try being a good father. I'd probably worry over it incessantly though.

Le sigh... when I find the right lady, and when I'm out of school for good.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:[predictable]

::clicks "never"::

I will enjoy my money and free time and consequence-free sex, thanks.

Kids are very occasionally worth being around, and that's about all I can say for them.

[/predictable]

What he said.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

hencethus

Postby hencethus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:00 am UTC

Don't you guys want to make copies of your genes?

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 am UTC

Vandole wrote:I don't like kids most of the time, an extension of not liking adults most of the time either. Despite that, I want to have kids someday. I have this image of success being like that. Also I'd want to try being a good father.

No offense, but when people say things like this, it worries me. A lot.

Kids are not a capstone or a trophy for your successful life. And they aren't something you "try out". They *are* your life, for a large part of it. They require a heinous amount of effort, a huge investment of time, and a gigantic chunk of money. They require you to be emotionally available and stable at times when you don't want to be either. They do not hold, you can't take a vacation from them, and they won't go away when you don't want them anymore.

I would beg you *not* to have kids if you aren't sure you want to, or that you can do it. Don't do it because you think you're "supposed" to, and don't do it because you want to see what it's like. Do it because you're *sure* that it's what you *want* to do, and because you're *sure* that you're *ready*. Or don't do it at all.

In short, would you rather regret not having kids, or regret *having* them?

hencethus wrote:Don't you guys want to make copies of your genes?

Nope. Not unless I get to pilot the copy.

They/them

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:08 am UTC

Well that's the thing. We're programmed to do just that, but we've also evolved a consciousness that allows us to identify that desire and not act on it if we see fit. I know that I can't support a child, for a number of financial and emotional reasons, so even though I'm at the age where I *should* be reproducing like wildfire, I don't.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

hencethus

Postby hencethus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:09 am UTC

Belial wrote:Kids are not a capstone or a trophy for your successful life. And they aren't something you "try out". They *are* your life, for a large part of it. They require a heinous amount of effort, a huge investment of time, and a gigantic chunk of money. They require you to be emotionally available and stable at times when you don't want to be either. They do not hold, you can't take a vacation from them, and they won't go away when you don't want them anymore.

Unfortunately it seems like it's more often the conscientious people like you that choose not to have children.

davef wrote:

Well that's the thing. We're programmed to do just that, but we've also evolved a consciousness that allows us to identify that desire and not act on it if we see fit. I know that I can't support a child, for a number of financial and emotional reasons, so even though I'm at the age where I *should* be reproducing like wildfire, I don't.

Yeah, I was sort of being facetious. You're not having any kids for the same reason that I'm not having 16 of them. It does seem sort of anti-Darwinian, but being human is quite a unique thing.

electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby electoralfraud » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:22 am UTC

I don't think I'm anywhere ready for kids; but after I hit 32, maybe, or not; but I'd like to have some. At some point.

I guess when you manage to meet someone who is ready to have your kids and you're ready to father their kids (or vice-versa), you're ready for the blighters. It'd be cool though.
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:26 am UTC

Being an uncle is great. I get to have all the fun and buy the cool presents and leave after three hours. I'll probably cave in soon enough though.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:35 am UTC

Sometimes kids scare me in large groups and with the exception of the awesome 6 or 7 year old daughter of a friend/acquaintance that comes to town a couple times a year I haven't really interacted closely with any since my occasional babysitting/hanging out with older friends and their kids days in Florida 5 years ago.

That said, I like 'em! Perhaps more accurately, once they've got a few years under the belt I treat them like adults, meaning if they're cool I wanna hang out with them even when I don't have to and if they're not I don't.

I really want to have kids, but I probably won't be able to. It turns out that when you get enough chemo to kill off your bone marrow pre-transplant it's enough to kill off other things too. *Sigh* I was just thinking about this before I got up today. It kills me. I almost decided to go with a 15% chance of cure (no-transplant) than with the 40%-60% chance that I have now, but came to the conclusion that even though I might, might get through alright (and have everything be perfect) I probably wouldn't and I can't raise a baby if I'm dead anyway. *Smirk*

I have a better chance than most since I'm younger (ovaries can repair much of their damage though obviously can't replace the many eggs that were destroyed), but it's nothing to count on. I haven't had a period in 6 months (it usually takes between 6 months and 4 years to start working again after all that trauma.) *Shrug* I'll try later on, but I'll probably end up adopting. I planned to adopt even if I did have a couple of my own.

It's so funny (not really) how so many people don't want kids (including several of my good friends) and can and so many who do, can't.

Sorry, that was long and boohooy, but it's been bugging me again. I do like to hear about kids though. Carry on.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Jauss wrote:It's so funny (not really) how so many people don't want kids (including several of my good friends) and can and so many who do, can't.

Isn't it just enough to make you wish reproductive systems were modular and interchangeable? I know plenty of people who would be *very* interested in trading their operative ones for your inoperative one.

They/them

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:54 am UTC

I dont mind kids, except when they're little but big enough to be mobile, if theres more than one, they can get very hard to handle...

Maybe a while in the future.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:54 am UTC

Belial wrote:Kids are not a capstone or a trophy for your successful life. And they aren't something you "try out". They *are* your life, for a large part of it.

I can see how you read that, although I didn't mean it. I really need to proofread sometimes. I mean that I would consider my life a waste if I didn't produce intelligent, thoughtful spawn of my own. That said, I have no idea what the "right" way to raise a kid is (after determining that my parents' way was decent, but wasn't great) and I would try my best (but probably stress out and have breakdowns about it anyway).
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:08 am UTC

Belial wrote:Isn't it just enough to make you wish reproductive systems were modular and interchangeable? I know plenty of people who would be *very* interested in trading their operative ones for your inoperative one.

*Grin* I knew you'd say that. QFT.

I've had friends who don't want kids (or perhaps lean that way more than not) offer to give me eggs if I don't start functioning again. That would definitely be interesting!

I'm not generally a huge stickler for genes, but now that I'm kinda the last of my line that's part of what bothers me. If my wonderful brother/best friend was still around I would feel better, but he had to be an ass and die in a car crash at 17 ten years ago. It would be nice to have kids that looked something like him to give his name to; my father's eyes and my mother's smile. Not to mention the whole being able to make a child with the person you love thing, combining your blood.

I love meeting members of families (sometimes at different times) and knowing that they go together because they have the same hands or cheek bones or whatever. Of course I imagine it's not nearly as cool if your family sucks. But hey, either way I still get to pass on my weirdness. Maybe even my amusing frequently somewhat Jamaicany "accent". :)

enchantress of numbers

Postby enchantress of numbers » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 am UTC

Yes. But I most certainly do not want them contaminated with somebody else's!

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:34 am UTC

I can see how you read that, although I didn't mean it. I really need to proofread sometimes. I mean that I would consider my life a waste if I didn't produce intelligent, thoughtful spawn of my own.

Okay. If you really think so. I'm just saying, think about it. A lot. And consider the alternatives. Because it's not something you can go back on, once it's done.

Not without being a huge ass, anyway.

They/them

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Someday, probably. The plan is to have one zergli- hatchli- er, offspring of our own and adopt one a little bit later. Thus we are replacing ourselves and giving a kid a future they otherwise wouldn't have had while not contributing to an overpopulation problem.

That said, I'm not even remotely ready so it's not happening for a while. The concept both terrifies and excites me.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:46 am UTC

I voted "Hate 'em" but not never. I'm a mere sixteen, so if my (ex)girlfriend were pregnant i'd probably punch her in the stomach until she miscarried.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dead baby joke kinda guy, but...yeah, that's not funny.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:55 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I voted "Hate 'em" but not never. I'm a mere sixteen, so if my (ex)girlfriend were pregnant i'd probably punch her in the stomach until she miscarried.

Okay...so you hate kids, but might wanna have one and you think (hopefully jokingly) that punching a girl in the stomach (which is not the uterus) is a good way to end a pregnancy that you're partially responsible for...

*Loads sterilization gun*

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:58 am UTC

::looks at sterilization gun with envy:: I could have so much fun with that at work.....

They/them

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 am UTC

Belial wrote:::looks at sterilization gun with envy:: I could have so much fun with that at work.....

*Looks at Belial warily and then decides to lend him said sterilization gun and hopes he uses it wisely*

Not everyone now!

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:04 am UTC

I really don't think I want to have kids. I don't think I like kids either.

The time, money, and everything else seems like a waste.

HOWEVER, if I was with someone and they really wanted them, I'm sure they could talk me into having one because I loved that person with all my heart and such.

I really hope I don't though; I think life would be really cool that way.

I'm curious how many of the women here really want kids and don't. Ren seems like she has her head on straight! :-)

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I voted "Hate 'em" but not never. I'm a mere sixteen, so if my (ex)girlfriend were pregnant i'd probably punch her in the stomach until she miscarried.
Yeah, though I'm male, I'm going to go ahead and speak for probably every female on the board, in addition to at least a handful of guys with *some* sense of empathy or, god forbid, decency, and say:
"Shut the fuck up you miserable excuse for a man."

Seriously, if you value yourself or anyone else at all, you will never say that again, and if that was serious you will remove your testicles *now* and place them somewhere where they will never be used to such a poor end.

If, and hopefully this will not happen for a number of years (I too am 16), my girlfriend ever got pregnant, I would do the honorable thing and marry her, and make every effort possible to bring the child I helped create into a good life.
[/end rant]
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “General”