Is anyone else really annoyed that *other people* read xkcd?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pavja2

Postby pavja2 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

I don't know, I always like to imagine that xkcd comics are some kind of private joke that only I "get" and the ignorant masses can't quite manage to understand. But whenever I go onto these boards I am reminded that I am in fact not unique in my xkcd reading and it makes me sad :( Does anyone else suffer from this "lack of individuality syndrome" or can I at least be unique in my caring about not being unique?

ftarp

Re: Is anyone else really annoyed that *other people* read x

Postby ftarp » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I don't fall into this "syndrome". I am reminded of one of the posters from dispair.com, "Remember, you are unique. Just like everybody else." While I don't get all of the comics, I do enjoy finding other people that read xkcd and discussing the latest comic with them. Unfortunately, I only know a couple of people in real-life that read xkcd.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

I don't feel this way, I'm usually pleased whenever I discover another person who likes xkcd. I'm all the more pleased if someone who I'd otherwise thought had little in common with me reads and enjoys xkcd.

Sorry to break it to you, however, you aren't unique in your desire to be unique. That's become pretty well established thanks to, among other fads, the whole pretentious indie/underground scene. (Nor are you unique in your assessment that those around you are the "ignorant masses", as the xckd that ftarp posted reminds us.)

Personally, I recommend against snobbery and elitism in general; the gain in feeling superior isn't worth the loss in decent behavior, and it usually reflects a lack of security about one's own abilities. Then again, I may only say that because I'm one of those ignorant sheep who try to make themselves feel better by spouting aphorisms like that.

Either way, if you persist in your desire to be recognized as unique, I seriously suggest you don't try to base it on what media you consume and enjoy. That just ends up being problematic. Find some other way of distinguishing yourself--perhaps through accomplishments or achievements?
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Why would I be when I can spend 15 minutes confusing the hell out of all the American Idol obsessed people with my buddies?
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

Cecily

Postby Cecily » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

I know what you mean, though I experience it more with books and films. There have been several that I enjoyed and thought obscure till they were shortlisted for awards and everyone knew about them. Although part of me was glad they'd reached a wider audience, part of me regretted that I was no longer part of a secret clique.

Regarding xkcd, I'm pleased that I introduced my son to it - something for which he is very grateful (as am I, because it's a shared interest). As for other people, although it's widely known in the geek community, I don't think it's as widely known elsewhere, at least not in England.
Cultivate discernment and know your audience; context is all.
Those are rules.
Most of the others are guidelines.

SomeFloridaKid

Postby SomeFloridaKid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 am UTC

ftarp wrote:Image

WARNING! TOTALLY IRRELEVANT POST AHEAD.

I have always thought it's the guy in the middle thinking and everyone else is just following.
EXPAND: (a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n

GENERATION 191,184,382 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:41 am UTC

I... disagree. The whole point of that comic is to show that everybody thinks they're special, everybody thinks they are the only one to like little-known X. Hence why it applies rather neatly to this thread.
Ⓞⓞ◯

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 am UTC

There are those guys who don't feel unique, but actually they are monsters of epicness, getting all their exams perfect, managing a fully erratic party and being epic in playing games. Those who feel unique, they are just pushing themselves in sheepliness.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 am UTC

pavja2 wrote:I don't know, I always like to imagine that xkcd comics are some kind of private joke that only I "get" and the ignorant masses can't quite manage to understand. But whenever I go onto these boards I am reminded that I am in fact not unique in my xkcd reading and it makes me sad :( Does anyone else suffer from this "lack of individuality syndrome" or can I at least be unique in my caring about not being unique?

No, sorry. I'm fairly obsessed with being original/unique in every way possible. Serious. It makes me want to hate pop music and those who like it, for example, even though I recognize that things such as that are just preferences.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:I don't feel this way, I'm usually pleased whenever I discover another person who likes xkcd. I'm all the more pleased if someone who I'd otherwise thought had little in common with me reads and enjoys xkcd.

Sorry to break it to you, however, you aren't unique in your desire to be unique. That's become pretty well established thanks to, among other fads, the whole pretentious indie/underground scene. (Nor are you unique in your assessment that those around you are the "ignorant masses", as the xckd that ftarp posted reminds us.)

Personally, I recommend against snobbery and elitism in general; the gain in feeling superior isn't worth the loss in decent behavior, and it usually reflects a lack of security about one's own abilities. Then again, I may only say that because I'm one of those ignorant sheep who try to make themselves feel better by spouting aphorisms like that.

Either way, if you persist in your desire to be recognized as unique, I seriously suggest you don't try to base it on what media you consume and enjoy. That just ends up being problematic. Find some other way of distinguishing yourself--perhaps through accomplishments or achievements?

i feel unique enough. I use a 53 character password because I can (and get annoyed when I can't), am random in a different than my friend, prefers cloud based, and I decided at the last moment not to post this, but did so anyway...

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 am UTC

the.coding.eye wrote:I don't fall into this "syndrome". I am reminded of one of the posters from dispair.com, "Remember, you are unique. Just like everybody else." While I don't get all of the comics, I do enjoy finding other people that read xkcd and discussing the latest comic with them. Unfortunately, I only know a couple of people in real-life that read xkcd.
That fucking poster! Notify me when technology will let me transmit physical force over the electron stream so I can slap some sense into whoever fucked up those frigging snowflakes.

As for some kind of rational response to the OP's query: No, I don't think I have encountered disappointment that others read xkcd. My disappointments are usually more that no one understands what I'm on about when I chuckle at some instance of life imitating xkcd. I've resorted to posting comics above my little area of benchspace. And they enjoy them! I've caught quotes being used during the normal work-day.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am UTC

Nah. I'm at ease with my tastes being mainstream within the geek community.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 am UTC

I'd be glad if more people liked XKCD because it means wider culture represents, vaguely, what I think, and I happen to hold what I think in high esteem so if more people follow those values, then I'm happier for it. Besides, more readers helps out Randall...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

dragon wrote:That fucking poster! Notify me when technology will let me transmit physical force over the electron stream so I can slap some sense into whoever fucked up those frigging snowflakes.

This made me go and look that poster up again. Since when did snowflakes have five sides? :x
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

themonk

Postby themonk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

I like to find people who enjoy pseudo-nerdy things, since sometimes the comics are over my head - specifically programming related ones.

I do go to a technically college, so a lot of people know it and read it here, but my "regular" (?) friends and a lot of my art buddies don't know/appreciate it.
- click for the One Sentence Project (OSP). (Nothing to do with Oral Sodium Phospate)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

I like clouds too. I was an elitist in high school, then gained opportunities to surround myself with many more elitists insanely smart people. And life became more fun, actually.

If significantly more people in the world were like me, then the world would have...
(1) no more overpopulation
(2) less trash
(3) slow economy from lack of consumer activities
(4) lower incidence of obesity and related illnesses
(5) lower incidence of testosterone-induced accidents
(6) higher incidence of depression-related illnesses
(7) more trees and wildlife
(8) more craziness

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

pavja2 wrote:I don't know, I always like to imagine that xkcd comics are some kind of private joke that only I "get" and the ignorant masses can't quite manage to understand.

Fields of knowledge xkcd fans think you need to be an expert in to understand xkcd:
    Linux
    Programming
    Science
    Mathematics
    Chemistry
    Linguistics
    Existentialism

Fields of knowledge you actually need to be an expert in to understand xkcd:
    Internet memes
    Movies from your childhood

Don't talk about the "ignorant masses". xkcd has never been an obscure comic, and I understand virtually every comic even though I stopped studying math, and hard science in high school, know very little of programming, and am barely adequate with Linux. It's not a difficult comic to get, it's just a comic geared towards geeky people. Non-geeky people get these comics just fine, they're just less likely to find them funny,
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

nebula_coloma

Postby nebula_coloma » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:50 am UTC

I used to feel the same way between the ages of 15-21 when every change/addition I made in my interests and wardrobe became a fad. I'm 24, and I know now that everyone lives in their own little universe unfathomable to even their comrades. EVERYONE IS UNIQUE! It's the definition of the word. So it's not far-fetched that someone that you might not usually hang out with happens to have the same thought processes, sense of humor, and interests. Sure, they may mainly love things you hate and vice versa, but why should that matter as long as you have an awesome time?

Now that I'm no longer bitter, my range of real-life (not online...I don't believe in the whole adding-people-who-don't-talk-to-you trend) friends has grown, because even if someone might not be interested in MOST of the things I am, they are still good people to hang out with while gaining perspective of the vast range of personalities that have been formed through individual and UNIQUE (there's that word again) experiences. You should be happy you can share your thoughts with others more readily now...since people are now more forward and accepting, rather than in the "olden days"...when they would be shunned.

Oh, and it's really hard to hold a grudge when your range of friends is eclectic. You probably wouldn't be so bitter if you weren't under such pressure to assume everyone's a dick that doesn't deserve your intellect.

-neb

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 am UTC

I actually enjoy finding other people who read xkcd, or involve themselves in other nerdy things that I like. (Tetris, other webcomics, Doctor Who and random sci-fi, Digg, etc) It makes me less unique, but I end up gaining a friend most of the time.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I actually enjoy finding other people who read xkcd, or involve themselves in other nerdy things that I like. (Tetris, other webcomics, Doctor Who and random sci-fi, Digg, etc) It makes me less unique, but I end up gaining a friend most of the time.

agreed. that, and ubuntu.

JonR

Postby JonR » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 am UTC

I like the fact that other people also read it - it means that I'm not a sad lonely fucker, and the only one who gets it.

I also like to feel like I'm unique and different, but this falls over so often - when I go round someones house, and realise that they too have a Billy Bookcase from IKEA, and 'that lamp' in the corner! doh!
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

nebula_coloma wrote:I used to feel the same way between the ages of 15-21 when every change/addition I made in my interests and wardrobe became a fad. I'm 24, and I know now that everyone lives in their own little universe unfathomable to even their comrades. EVERYONE IS UNIQUE! It's the definition of the word. So it's not far-fetched that someone that you might not usually hang out with happens to have the same thought processes, sense of humor, and interests. Sure, they may mainly love things you hate and vice versa, but why should that matter as long as you have an awesome time?

I dunno. I consider it a possibility that there exist one or more pairs/groups of people who have little to no characteristics distinguishing each other.

Needless to say, such pairings/groups would be extremely exceptional if you ever got them together.

Edit: And personally, the elitist in me is annoyed that there exist people who don't get the webcomic. >.> How dare people not be nerds!
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

We are all the protagonists of our own stories, and the rest of the planet is made up of secondary characters.

or

You are the only 'real' person.

Do either of those sound zen enough for you?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Only if their top-favorite list has 0 in common with mine.

8)
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

mross

Postby mross » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

If significantly more people in the world were like me, then the world would have...
(1) no parties that don't suck
(2) less casual sex
(3) slow economy from people expecting everything to be handed to them
(4) lower incidence of STDs due to everyone being fucking ugly
(5) lower incidence of injuries caused by the banning of sports, outdoor activities, and anything else that is fun but vaguely threatening to losers
(6) higher incidence of everyone killing themselves when they realize everyone around them is just as much of an insufferable prick as themselves
(7) more sexual wildlife abuse caused by a rise in the population of fursuiters
(8) more boring people who use words like "eclectic" to refer to themselves, their friends or their interests and believe that women will sleep with them, if only they could manage just a little more forced, fake quirkiness

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

nebula_coloma wrote:You probably wouldn't be so bitter if you weren't under such pressure to assume everyone's a dick that doesn't deserve your intellect.

What an awesome way to end an awesome first post. I fully endorse the above.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

Return to “General”