Poll: What do you use to shave?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What do you use to shave body hair (from face, legs, and/or any other body part)?

Cartridge safety razor
71
28%
Blade safety razor (the kind that use standard steel razor blades, not cartridges)
15
6%
Disposable safety razor
41
16%
Straight razor without replaceable blades (i.e., must be honed and stropped)
4
2%
Straight razor with replaceable blades
9
4%
Rotary electric
38
15%
Foil electric
23
9%
Knife
7
3%
Pfft, I don't remove body hair, it's unnatural to do so!
9
4%
Permanent hair removal of some sort
2
1%
Wax
5
2%
Otter
27
11%
 
Total votes: 251

User avatar
drewster1829
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby drewster1829 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 am UTC

I couldn't find a poll or thread that addressed this question on xkcd forums, so I figure I'd start one. I have a lot of trouble shaving, as my facial hair is very dark and thick, and it grows extremely fast (two days without shaving and I look like a homeless slob). I've tried cartridge razors, electric rotary, and disposables. I find that cartridge razors are expensive and clog quickly, disposables are cheap if bought in a large enough batch, clog quickly, and dull quickly, and electrics don't shave closely, get dull after about a year, and replacing the heads cost as much as a new razor (but I buy cheap electrics).

I've tried a straight razor with disposable blades in the past, but I never could get the hang of it (I'd nick myself and miss large areas of my face). Well, my electric finally got dull, so I decided to try a straight razor again. I bought one that uses standard half double-edged blades (the one I had before used propietary blades that were expensive to replace and dulled quickly...usually after one shave), but more importantly, I bought a brush and soap set. I was using that cheap Gillette cream in an orange can, and it works for disposables and cartridge razors, but it doesn't lubricate enough for a straight razor, so I'd constantly nick myself.

Using shave soap and a brush, though, has proven extremely effective. I've been doing it for about a week, and today I only had one small nick (compared to two days ago, where it looked like someone attacked me with a box of razor blades). Learning how to properly build up soap lather, and keeping the face wet and lathered has helped significantly. If I miss small areas that I don't notice until after rinsing off my face, I can grab a disposable and clean up the spots I missed.

I've notice that the closeness of the shave with a straight razor gives much shorter hair in the days following, and I could probably get away with shaving every other day, though that's still pushing it for me. I was just curious as to the shaving habits of xkcd forumites, so please, let me know your experiences.

Thanks, and have a nice day. ::rubs smooth chin in satisfaction:: :D
Last edited by drewster1829 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Low Caliber
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 am UTC
Location: Wolfville, N.S.

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Low Caliber » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:46 am UTC

when travelling I try to do my best with a knife. otherwise a use an electric,too lazy to use an actual razor.

User avatar
Daojia
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 am UTC
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Daojia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Coming from someone who just recently ended his (bitter failure of a) beard experiment, I have to express my jealousy. Cartridge razors work just fine for me, and I usually shave (if being something of a slob) once every five days, or thereabouts. Beards and I do not get along.
Sapere aude.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:20 am UTC

A proper brush and soap does wonders indeed. I'm still using cartridges, at least until someone gets me the classic double-edged safety razor on my wish list. Once I develop some aptitude for that, I'll consider taking a straight razor for a test run some time. Really I'd just like to be able to get a decent shave in one pass rather than two.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

jerome_bc
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:12 pm UTC
Location: above
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:10 am UTC

My beard is lame. I don't really get stubble. It's just soft and pale and blonde - almost transparent. Even if I let it grow indefinitely it's barely noticeable, so I tend to only shave when I know someone will see my face up close (i.e. when I'm dating, which hasn't been happening much) or when I feel like it.

I use disposable safety razors. I havn't put that much thought into it. I've been shaving for three years and I'm on my second package.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby JayDee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:A proper brush and soap does wonders indeed. I'm still using cartridges, at least until someone gets me the classic double-edged safety razor on my wish list. Once I develop some aptitude for that, I'll consider taking a straight razor for a test run some time. Really I'd just like to be able to get a decent shave in one pass rather than two.
I haven't looked back since someone gave be a double-edged safety razor. Started with a brush and soap at the same time (which was how I was taught to shave when I was a kid, but I switched to foam / cream through laziness) and that makes so much difference. I'd love to move onto a straight razor someday, but my next step will be to experiment with different blades for the safety razor.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8573
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Zohar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 am UTC

I use a Philips electric shaver thingy for my beard and a 4-bladed Quatro cartridge razor for the unbearded areas (neck and cheeks)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

The risk of getting cut is not that high, provided you shave with the grain rather than against it. You'll probably still end up with a closer shave with an actual razor and with the grain than you're getting from your rotary shaver. Yeah, you'll nick yourself as you get used to the process, but that's not really a big deal.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Lazar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

I go for the permastubble look, so I just use a beard trimmer.
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

I've had a beard for about a year and a half now, but take care of my neck with a Mach 3. I recently started shaving the rest of my head bald which I got a HeadBlade razor for which uses some specific type of cartridge that I need to find out since buying their rebranded ones will not be cheap.

User avatar
toletum91zgz
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 pm UTC
Location: Zaragoza, Spain

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby toletum91zgz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

Right now I'm using a rotary electric, but when I travel, I use an actual razor like "Gillete fusion" :wink:

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

I'd like to extol the virtues of the schick intuition razor for women. It has 4 blades so it works pretty much perfectly on a single stroke, and it has a soap ridge around it so you don't need to use shaving cream or lotion. high five!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

The number of blades on a cartridge is pretty much 100% a marketing strategy, and has nothing to do with the closeness of your shave. Cartridges are designed to be convenient, and in doing so they sacrifice the quality of the shave; since people still value a close shave, the principal point that needs to be made when marketing a cartridge is that it doesn't sacrifice quality and is still convenient. Which, in a nutshell, is bullshit.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby brakos82 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Lazar wrote:I go for the permastubble look, so I just use a beard trimmer.


Same here, when I don't decide to grow it out. Although when I do that it still tries to grow up into a non-existent mustache, and end up trimming that out.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:The number of blades on a cartridge is pretty much 100% a marketing strategy, and has nothing to do with the closeness of your shave. Cartridges are designed to be convenient, and in doing so they sacrifice the quality of the shave; since people still value a close shave, the principal point that needs to be made when marketing a cartridge is that it doesn't sacrifice quality and is still convenient. Which, in a nutshell, is bullshit.

I grew up using single blade disposables and the 3/4-blade makes a difference to me. It's the difference between having to basically scrub my legs with the single, or smoothly going over once with the triple or quadruple.

I dunno. I like it :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6291
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 am UTC

I did once flirt with permanent hair removal. My only regret is that I did not get slightly more removed, but as I lay there in anguish after the operation I found I could not acquiesce when the technician asked me.

I recently found this lovely fluid called Lectric Shave, a "pre-shave balm" which really does make using my rotary shaver much more smooth and effective. I think.

User avatar
drewster1829
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby drewster1829 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:42 am UTC

Low Caliber wrote:when travelling I try to do my best with a knife. otherwise a use an electric,too lazy to use an actual razor.


lol, I considered adding a "knife" option when making the poll...I'll edit it in, thanks to your post. :D

Daojia wrote:Coming from someone who just recently ended his (bitter failure of a) beard experiment, I have to express my jealousy.


I've tried growing a beard, but after about 3 days, I can't stand the feeling of having hair on my face, and the inconvenience of getting food and stuff in it. Maybe I'll give it another go, but I'm waiting until I'm a graduate student...or maybe I'll wait until I'm an Associate Professor or something.

Bakemaster wrote:Once I develop some aptitude for that, I'll consider taking a straight razor for a test run some time. Really I'd just like to be able to get a decent shave in one pass rather than two.


I'm absolutely in love with the soap and brush...it's such a great ritual, and I just started doing it!

Seems counter-intuitive, but I can get a closer shave with a single pass with a straight razor than with a two-bladed disposable or a Mach III (3 bladed cartridge), no matter how many passes I take with the multi-blade razor. There is a learning curve, however, and I still have to touch up with a disposable sometimes on the small areas I miss. It's still a closer shave with the straight, even with my inexperience, as I've only been shaving every other day. In the past, I'd look like Sasquatch if I skipped a day shaving.

jerome_bc wrote:My beard is lame. I don't really get stubble. It's just soft and pale and blonde - almost transparent.


I'll trade ya!! j/k, now that I finally figured out how to shave. I've known people like this in the past, though--I was so jealous.

JayDee wrote:I haven't looked back since someone gave be a double-edged safety razor. Started with a brush and soap at the same time (which was how I was taught to shave when I was a kid, but I switched to foam / cream through laziness) and that makes so much difference. I'd love to move onto a straight razor someday, but my next step will be to experiment with different blades for the safety razor.


I've never tried a double-edged safety razor. Are they better than cartridges/disposables? I'll bet the blades are cheaper than those cartridges... :wink:

Zohar wrote:I use a Philips electric shaver thingy for my beard and a 4-bladed Quatro cartridge razor for the unbearded areas (neck and cheeks)


That's a good idea...my neck and under my chin and jawbone are the hardest places for me to shave, whatever the method. When I used a rotary electric, it would miss so much around my Adam's apply and under my jawbone, and it would be long enough to bother me (I'd unconsciously tug at it with my fingernails when nervous...). That's the other reason I'm not sure about growing a beard...I have so much facial hair (it almost grows up to my eyes), I'd still have to shave the edges to not look like a hermit. I'm not growing a beard if I still have to shave! :P

[Redacted] wrote:I use one of those electric razors with 3 circles (rotary?). It's what I was given as a teenager and I still use it. Arguably, I should use something for a closer shave, but it doesn't matter too much to me and I'm not sure I'd sacrifice the risk of getting cut to get a slightly better shave.
'

Yeah, that's a rotary, as opposed to a foil razor. If it's close enough for you, it's hard to argue trying to shave closer, especially if you're worried about nicks. It's all about personal preference (and maybe that of one's significant other/family/workplace/school).

Bakemaster wrote:The risk of getting cut is not that high, provided you shave with the grain rather than against it. You'll probably still end up with a closer shave with an actual razor and with the grain than you're getting from your rotary shaver. Yeah, you'll nick yourself as you get used to the process, but that's not really a big deal.


I have to shave across the grain or angled against it (not directly) to get a really close shave sometimes. Ironically, I don't have problems with ingrown hairs, except with an electric sometimes, which makes no sense, since it shaves the least close of all methods. I've shaved against the grain before (usually after making a pass with the grain first) with a straight razor, a long time ago, but I've found that it leads to lots of little nicks sometimes, and it also leads to ingrown hairs. I find that across the grain (roughly perpendicular to it) works best for me, as with the grain tends to "float" over the hair. But yeah, for [redacted], I'd recommend with the grain at first, definitely.

Lazar wrote:I go for the permastubble look, so I just use a beard trimmer.


I HAVE the permastubble look, at least when not using a straight razor (or maybe the perma-5 o'clock shadow look). Even with the straight, I still have a pretty dark face. After one day, though, it could definitely be called stubble.

Endless Mike wrote:I've had a beard for about a year and a half now, but take care of my neck with a Mach 3. I recently started shaving the rest of my head bald which I got a HeadBlade razor for which uses some specific type of cartridge that I need to find out since buying their rebranded ones will not be cheap.


Is the HeadBlade designed for shaving the scalp? I used to do that when I was a truck driver, as my scalp would get super itchy if I didn't shower EVERY day (yes, some days I had to skip a shower :oops: ). I used to use a Mach 3 as my cartridge razor, before I switched to electric and now straight.

toletum91zgz wrote:Right now I'm using a rotary electric, but when I travel, I use an actual razor like "Gillete fusion" :wink:


Is the Fusion the 4-bladed one? How do you like it? Do you use foam or gel, or shave with it dry? :shock:

meatyochre wrote:I'd like to extol the virtues of the schick intuition razor for women. It has 4 blades so it works pretty much perfectly on a single stroke, and it has a soap ridge around it so you don't need to use shaving cream or lotion. high five!


Cool! That's handy...that's one reason I disliked cartridges, was fiddling around with shaving cream, but now that I have a brush and soap, it's a lot more enjoyable than squirting some cheap foam from an aerosol can.

Bakemaster wrote:The number of blades on a cartridge is pretty much 100% a marketing strategy, and has nothing to do with the closeness of your shave.


Sure it does...it's just that the relationship is reversed from how it's marketed, at least for me. The more blades, the less close the shave is (and the more quickly it clogs). I actually get a closer shave from a cheap 2 bladed disposable than a Mach 3. (I know, a disposable isn't a cartridge razor, but the head is similarly designed).

brakos82 wrote:Same here, when I don't decide to grow it out. Although when I do that it still tries to grow up into a non-existent mustache, and end up trimming that out.


Interesting...have you every tried to grow a mustache, out of curiosity?

meatyochre wrote:I grew up using single blade disposables and the 3/4-blade makes a difference to me. It's the difference between having to basically scrub my legs with the single, or smoothly going over once with the triple or quadruple.

I dunno. I like it


If it works, go with it! Multi-blade razors work for some, and it's great that you've found something that works well.

Thanks for all your replies, and have a great day!

[Edit:] Ack! I didn't know editing polls reset the results! :oops:

Sorry, folks...
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:00 am UTC

It's cool. I totally re-voted!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:30 am UTC

drewster1829 wrote:I'm absolutely in love with the soap and brush...it's such a great ritual, and I just started doing it!

Seems counter-intuitive, but I can get a closer shave with a single pass with a straight razor than with a two-bladed disposable or a Mach III (3 bladed cartridge), no matter how many passes I take with the multi-blade razor. There is a learning curve, however, and I still have to touch up with a disposable sometimes on the small areas I miss. It's still a closer shave with the straight, even with my inexperience, as I've only been shaving every other day. In the past, I'd look like Sasquatch if I skipped a day shaving.

I like the brush and soap for a lot of reasons. It works a lot better for my shave than foam or gel. I can get way better-smelling shave soaps than I can find foams or gels. I don't have to smear it on with my hands. I don't have to have a thick layer of industrial goop on my face. And it just feels better.

As far as the closeness of the shave goes, modern safety razors just aren't made for a close shave. The plastic on either end interferes with your ability to make good contact with flat skin. The fact that it's easy to use discourages people from shaving slowly, as they should. The secondary blades go across your skin after most of the soap, foam or gel has already been scraped off, and the predetermined angle of the blades in the cartridge makes it impossible to adjust for tricky spots. A well-stropped straight razor gives the best shave of any razor, period. It just happens to also be really difficult and really dangerous in an accident.

Double-edged safety razors are better than cartridges mainly because they give you more control. You can adjust the angle of the shave, you don't have plastic parts interfering with even contact with the skin, and you just have one blade so it's gentler on your skin if you use it right. With a cartridge you have to apply some pressure just to get good contact. That can be a dangerous impulse with a double-edge or straight razor, with which you should be applying only enough pressure to keep contact with the skin.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

icanus
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 pm UTC
Location: in England now abed

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby icanus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:21 am UTC

I tried a couple of types of electric shaver when I first stared, but gave up on them because as far as I could tell they all worked by completely missing the stubble, and by catching any longer hairs in the moving parts and ripping them out by the root. (I might have to try again now that I can grow something that could charitably be called a beard instead of downy face-fluff)

Since then it's been whatever 3/5/37 blade cartridge thing is on special offer.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:43 am UTC

I use a piece of the hull of the Titanic which I personally retrieved while free-diving.

However, I've found that transporting a hunk of sharpened ship-hull in this modern age can be somewhat troublesome, so in order to maintain my mane while traveling I've found that the schick quattro is quite adequate.

I also discovered once, when the store was out of regular cartridges, that the 'titanium' ones, while considerably more expensive, last a lot longer, and are well worth the price, I get easily two or three times as many shaves out of a titanium cartridge than a normal one.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:09 am UTC

I use a standard foil electric shaver, when I don't just let it grow (which is too often, I'm lazy when it comes to shaving). I've never used a 'proper' razor though - my father uses an electric shaver, so that's how I was taught to shave... razors seem sharp and scary :roll:

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I use a standard foil electric shaver, when I don't just let it grow (which is too often, I'm lazy when it comes to shaving). I've never used a 'proper' razor though - my father uses an electric shaver, so that's how I was taught to shave... razors seem sharp and scary :roll:


I am in literally the exact same situation, and this thread has just inspired me to go shave some of my huge hobo/university student beard, instead of being lazy and just letting it grow.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
TheKrikkitWars
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:08 pm UTC
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd, Gogledd Cymru
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Gillette Blue II, I've tried all kinds of more expensive razors, and lots of 50p for ten specials and the Blue II's are the cheapest razors that won't hurt my face.

I only have to shave something like once every 3 days currently mind, maybe if I had to daily, I'd see the benefit of expensive (branded) cartridge razors.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby brakos82 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

drewster1829 wrote:
brakos82 wrote:Same here, when I don't decide to grow it out. Although when I do that it still tries to grow up into a non-existent mustache, and end up trimming that out.


Interesting...have you every tried to grow a mustache, out of curiosity?


Yes, and it failed miserably.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:11 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:
Adacore wrote:I use a standard foil electric shaver, when I don't just let it grow (which is too often, I'm lazy when it comes to shaving). I've never used a 'proper' razor though - my father uses an electric shaver, so that's how I was taught to shave... razors seem sharp and scary :roll:

I am in literally the exact same situation, and this thread has just inspired me to go shave some of my huge hobo/university student beard, instead of being lazy and just letting it grow.

Once upon a time, a young man decided not to shave his beard ever, and also to make lots of cake. One day when the man was in his early twenties, he allowed his face to be smoothly shaved by a friend and her friend who was more an acquaintance of his at the time. Then they started dating and then they got married and by the way she's an incredible friggin' hottie. True story - the end.

The moral of the story is: CORRELATION STILL DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
drewster1829
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby drewster1829 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:
Adacore wrote:I use a standard foil electric shaver, when I don't just let it grow (which is too often, I'm lazy when it comes to shaving). I've never used a 'proper' razor though - my father uses an electric shaver, so that's how I was taught to shave... razors seem sharp and scary :roll:


I am in literally the exact same situation, and this thread has just inspired me to go shave some of my huge hobo/university student beard, instead of being lazy and just letting it grow.



I read this as "...this thread just inspired me to go shave some of my huge hobo." I was thinking "How big is this hobo, and how long will it take to shave some of him?" 8)

icanus wrote:I tried a couple of types of electric shaver when I first stared, but gave up on them because as far as I could tell they all worked by completely missing the stubble, and by catching any longer hairs in the moving parts and ripping them out by the root. (I might have to try again now that I can grow something that could charitably be called a beard instead of downy face-fluff)

Since then it's been whatever 3/5/37 blade cartridge thing is on special offer.


My electric misses stubble, and the longer-hair-catching-and-ripping-out feature seems to affect me once the heads get dull. I hate how my electric (A Philips Norelco Reflex Plus 6940C) cost about $33, and the replacement heads cost $27. That's almost the cost of the razor! I can't bring myself to pay that much for razor heads once a year when I can buy 120 blades for my straight razor for $9 (it equals the cost if I use a new blade every day, but I don't...one blade lasts about 3 shaves, and sometimes I skip days shaving).
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Weeks » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

I always always ALWAYS nick myself with disposables, so I stick to cartridge safety razors. I usually just clean shave my beard, so it doesn't really matter.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

User avatar
Odd_nonposter
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:44 am UTC
Location: Ohio

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Odd_nonposter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:27 am UTC

My facial hair is nearly transparent and still sort of in the peach fuzz stage yet. So, shaving only happens about every fortnight when I have to steal dad's rotary.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 am UTC

I generally use a cartridge razor, sometimes a disposable one, and have a rotary electric razor with a long hair trimmer that I use to prune my moustache / beard. I find that I get about five uses out of a disposable razor and more from a cartridge. I also get a lot less irritation than when I was using the rotary electric shaver all the time.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Coin
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Uppsala
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Coin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

I use a sharpened piece of obsidian previously used for sacrificial duty.
There is a certain quality in knowing that your shaving gear has ended the life of thousands for the greater glory of Temazcalteci, goddess of bathing and sweatbaths!

Spoiler:
I use a regular Gilette Mach 3, but it could have been true
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 am UTC

Obsidian blades are still used in some surgery because they can be made sharper than steel. Your choice of shaving equipment sounds sensible to me.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

shieldforyoureyes
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:05 am UTC

I have a standard homeless/BSD beard, but I like to keep my cheeks shaved.

I use disposable safety razors, dry. I have a nice old blade-style safety razor (70s?) but I never remember to buy blades for it.

User avatar
kingofdreams
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm UTC
Location: An avatar making factory

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 am UTC

knife and hot water, I was deeply wounded when I first started shaving and asked my dad for some shaving cream and some dispoasbles, the cold cutting laughter...

My hair seems far too powerful for an electric razor, it must be fought by hand.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

User avatar
Internetmeme
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Rotary Electric. I've never been cut with it.
Spoiler:

User avatar
Kolko
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Belgium/België/Belgique/Belgien

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Kolko » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Rotary Electric. I've never been cut with it.

Yup, same here.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

User avatar
Jacque
a member of shro's band
Posts: 870
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Jacque » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I got a pretty nice double-edged safety razor a while back and really like shaving with that, it's very smooth. But when I'm in a rush - or just don't care - I'll use a standard cartridge razor.

User avatar
the_stabbage
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby the_stabbage » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Obsidian blades are still used in some surgery because they can be made sharper than steel. Your choice of shaving equipment sounds sensible to me.


That reminds me of the pocketknife I saw online that had a handle made of fossilized mammoth bone. Imagine if they made a straight razor with mammoth handles and obsidian blades. Ultimate badass.

I shaved with a straight razor that takes disposable blades, but I ran out and couldn't find any replacement blades, so it's back to the Mach 3. I'm kinda used to the triple bladed mediocrity now but initially it was quite annoying how un-close it shaved.

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby Ulc » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:00 am UTC

I really want to switch to straight razor after I just had to buy new cartridges. But that will have to wait until after my friends wedding (I'm not going to turn up looking like I lost a fight with a drunk Sweeney Todd)

$25 for four cartridges, I'm well aware that it's probably relatively expensive to make such sharp blades - but this is ridiculous!

Ohh well, I'm going to need one anyway - there's certain places I do try with a straight razor.

What? I mean my armpits, get your mind out of the gutter.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
drewster1829
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Poll: What do you use to shave?

Postby drewster1829 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:$25 for four cartridges, I'm well aware that it's probably relatively expensive to make such sharp blades - but this is ridiculous!

Ohh well, I'm going to need one anyway - there's certain places I do try with a straight razor.

What? I mean my armpits, get your mind out of the gutter.


I'm willing to bet a large chunk of that $25 is profit. I'm just guessing based on the fact that I can get 120 blades for my straight razor for $9. Oh yeah, they're sharp. 8)

You'd have to have some balls of steel to bring that steel near your... :D I generally put on a cup and steel-toed boots before shaving with a straight razor, just in case I drop it (not really, but now that I think about it, maybe that's not a bad idea...)
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests