Hey guys-- Is this a Nigerian scammer?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Hey guys-- Is this a Nigerian scammer?

Postby pooteeweet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

I just woke up and I haven't had my coffee yet and is this a scam? Grrrmmbllll coffeeeeee...

Anyways. Yesterday I replied to a bunch of craigslist ads from people looking for rooms or roommates because I want to recruit a roommate to expand the price range of potential apartments we can look at. I got this e-mail in response and it sounds Nigerian-prince-ish to me. Then again, I do live in an area with lots of foreign refugees, so I don't want to ignore this person just because their English sounds funny.

**********@aol.com wrote:Hi ,

Thanks so much for replying my add,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have a lot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you,as my uncle is presently sick and i have to go see him,but really want to hold a place down...

More about me :My name is Florina Orth,am Nurse with humanitarian assistance,I will be 28 by the 25th of next month,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in France as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there,but i am presently in south Dakota(U.s)

I lived all my life way in Paris before coming down to SD,I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle after my mum died...I ve also wanted to be in the medical way since i was born,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children between the ages of 4-10 yrs .

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state because i understand that I'll be doing good over there as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live over there..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires about that now...

Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now. I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furniture,please let me know if there will be room for them..

With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me...Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in by the first week in next month,but want to secured it now

Thanks..

Florina..

Attorney[firstname]@yahoo.com--My uncle email address for reference...

Is "Florina" going to try to send me too much money for the deposit, then ask me to wire the excess funds back? All this shit with orphans and a sick uncle seems a little off. The vagueness ("moving to my state"...?), the fact that she is replying as if I'd e-mailed her with a room ready to rent... URRGH I hate the internets!
pooteeweet

Re: Hey guys-- Is this a Nigerian scammer?

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

I've found that one strong indicator of spam is consistently improperly placed commas:

like ,this. or,this.

Craigslist spammers are damn creative, though.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire
saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby JoeKhol » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

It does have lots of suspicious in it so I understand your concern. I'd say you're justified in turning them down guilt free on the basis of them not having a job and relying on their uncle for money (if I read that right).

I guess you could e-mail the "uncle" for the reference which would give you more to go on without any risk (though that e-mail address is the most suspicious part IMO).
Therefore, I think I am.
JoeKhol

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

yea, anyone(at)aol.com is not to be trusted.

seriously.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

The entire life story sounds a little too much like it's made up - honestly, who emails a person with that much information right off the bat? Did they really need to specify that they're living in "south Dakota(U.s)"?

This as well:
let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit
What ad needs to be taken off the site if she sends a deposit? Weren't you the one that replied to their ad?

Even if this wasn't entirely fishy, I'd hold out for someone that you can meet in person. Even if this person is real and you get a deposit, they could still never show up and leave you with an apartment you can't afford.
I don't know what to do for you
uncivlengr

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

I'd say It's a crook. Don't even play footsie with it (i.e. don't send it an email). Just ignore it.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.
Dave_Wise

Postby olcaddy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

Well my wife and I are looking to fill some extra space we have in our house. In manchester NH. We got the same email from 'Florina' after replying to her add on CL. I think its a farce but my wife is planning on trying to get a phone call from her.
olcaddy

Postby uncivlengr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

uncivlengr

Postby an9elo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Yes "she" is. I tried contacting her and her "uncle." Here is her uncle's response to me when I asked about her:

Ronald Harris to me
show details 9:12 PM (11 hours ago)

Hello ,

My niece,Florina is Just a wonderful lady that you can ever think off,She helps with the General house cleaning,She is so special,Having her is like having the whole world in My house,It is sadden when she told me that she wanted to leave because of her work
I Can't write much,because of my illness will be back next weekend when i am back at home,will write more later
You can as well drop me email.

Thanks

Ronald

I've never met such an articulate lawyer! ;)

I live in San Diego btw, and had to join just to share my situation that we all seem to be going through. Trying to fill a room in our houses, only to be disappointed with a fake candidate. Best of luck on your roommate/tenant searches, everyone!
an9elo

Postby pooteeweet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

This stuff makes me LOL...

I think I've actually found a solid roomie via craigslist (not the one who sent this e-mail obviously).

The thing about googling a phrase to see if others have posted about a scam is a good idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that first.
pooteeweet

Postby uncivlengr » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

That's one thing to your advantage - 419ers are not very original. The reason the flow and grammar of their emails seem so random is because they just copy/paste chunks of emails that were used at some point and mix them together.

I played along with one for a while for fun, letting him think I wanted to be his distributor for Chinese steel exports. By the time I was finished, I'd convinced him that I was a custodian at an igloo factory that had burnt down the igloo factory, and was presently on the run from the authorities. I also told him that "keep on truckin" was the standard formal valediction in Canada, and had him signing all his emails with it.

Over the course of two weeks or so that this occured, I received an identical email about Chinese steel exports, presumably from someone else using the same story.
uncivlengr

Postby hintss » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

remember that craigslist troll on art of trolling?

I'm wondering if the disguisable weapons one and the electrified crib ones were done by the same person.
"s/god/flying spaghetti monster/"
hintss

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Craigslist is great for shits and giggles. It's a little less fun when you're trying to wade through the bullshit and actually find a home/job/etc.

I've been incredibly lucky so far, it looks like we've (me and my SO) found not one but TWO awesome roommates who we seem to get along with and won't be too messy/crazy. Plus a really great little apartment that I'm really in love with-- I stumbled on that ad just when I was getting ready to call it quits (I'm quite sick of browsing CL at this point) and we scheduled a viewing at the last minute. Final decisions and lease-signing, etc, happen today (hopefully).

No further e-mails from "Florina", thankfully.

I'm pretty goddamn proud of myself, we only started looking for a place a week ago. We started out looking at some really gross places because we couldn't afford much on our own. Then we found the first CL roomie and I scheduled about a billion viewings Saturday and Sunday after melting my brain looking at CL and other listings for 2 days straight prior. Man, getting ahold of landlords/realtors on Friday and Saturday is difficult.
pooteeweet

Postby MovieGirl1985 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

I also found this post on a listing for housing in Wyoming and replied to it, and got the same exact e-mail:

Spoiler:
Thanks so much for replying my add,I really do appreciate it,. I would have loved us to see before making any plan but i really have a lot of things to do right now,But will be okay if you can tell me more about the place and you,as my uncle is presently sick and i have to go see him,but really want to hold a place down...

More about me :My name is Florina Orth,am Nurse with humanitarian assistance,I will be 28 by the 25th of next month,i love to live with clean people,caring,responsible,neat type. I'm 5"7' straight,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in France as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there,but i am presently in south Dakota(U.s)

I lived all my life way in Paris before coming down to SD,I was in my final year when my mum died,i lost my dad before i was born,I grew up with my uncle after my mum died...I ve also wanted to be in the medical way since i was born,I served in the Paris Red Cross for 8 months,we have involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children between the ages of 4-10 yrs .

Ambition and Work:

I was looking to move over to your state because i understand that I'll be doing good over there as i ve been told by my uncle's friend who ones live over there..And i will be working with any hospital around as i am also making enquires about that now...

Am sure You 'll really like the person that i am ,because i will also do the dishing if you like,I work when i am to and relax when i am to,I also like sharing my thoughts also....paying rent on time will not be a problem as i will also be making the rent fee before the month ends....
Right now. I ve the support of my uncle about my well being,so you shouldn't be bothered about if i am competent of paying the rent

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furniture,please let me know if there will be room for them..

With all that i ve said above,I have told you more about me...Let me also know how i can go about securing the place down before my arrival as i will also be busy from next week preparing to come over and let me know if you can take off the ad off the site as i am going to secure the place with a deposit

Feel free to ask me any question and as i ve said,i am looking to move in by the first week in next month,but want to secured it now

Thanks..
Florina..

Just think it is really weird that in one weekend, three people have contacted her and gotten the same e-mail. I haven't received an e-mail from her uncle, but asked for a picture and it came back looking extremely fake as well. I am no longer pursuing her as an option to being my roommate, and just wanted to let you know what she had sent me.
MovieGirl1985

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

When looking to sublet my old apartment we got hit with a number of scammers. My favorite was when a man wrote that his daughter was going to sublet the place, and he was going to wire us roughly 3x the amount of rent and we were to wire his wife back the difference for a months rent. The check arrived (from a bank in Ohio), and I tore it up (after having repeated suspicious interactions with the man, his daughter, and the wife), and about a week later started getting phone calls from the a woman asking where the money was.
I told her I made a mistake and sent it to her husband. With any luck, they suspect each other of withholding money from one another.

Unless you speak to someone on the phone in detail and they sign a renters agreement and send you a check that clears, I would just assume that everyone you speak with is lying to you.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:When looking to sublet my old apartment we got hit with a number of scammers. My favorite was when a man wrote that his daughter was going to sublet the place, and he was going to wire us roughly 3x the amount of rent and we were to wire his wife back the difference for a months rent. The check arrived (from a bank in Ohio), and I tore it up (after having repeated suspicious interactions with the man, his daughter, and the wife), and about a week later started getting phone calls from the a woman asking where the money was.
I told her I made a mistake and sent it to her husband. With any luck, they suspect each other of withholding money from one another.
"Well, my dad worked for the FBI for a while, and because of that he passed his paranoia on to me, so I never cash a check or anything like that until I've had his old buddies thoroughly investigate it. Shouldn't be much longer now, I mean, it's not like the check was a phony, right?"
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:"Well, my dad worked for the FBI for a while, and because of that he passed his paranoia on to me, so I never cash a check or anything like that until I've had his old buddies thoroughly investigate it. Shouldn't be much longer now, I mean, it's not like the check was a phony, right?"
If I deposit someone's check then wait to make sure it clears before withdrawing the money how can they scam me? What do you and your father know that I should know?

Izawwlgood wrote:When looking to sublet my old apartment we got hit with a number of scammers. My favorite was when a man wrote that his daughter was going to sublet the place, and he was going to wire us roughly 3x the amount of rent and we were to wire his wife back the difference for a months rent. The check arrived (from a bank in Ohio), and I tore it up (after having repeated suspicious interactions with the man, his daughter, and the wife), and about a week later started getting phone calls from the a woman asking where the money was.
What's the scam here? They are paying you to launder money?
If your afraid of the terrorists winning then the terrorists win.

Silas wrote:Nobody who gets paid by the hour invents a cotton gin.
BoomFrog

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:"Well, my dad worked for the FBI for a while, and because of that he passed his paranoia on to me, so I never cash a check or anything like that until I've had his old buddies thoroughly investigate it. Shouldn't be much longer now, I mean, it's not like the check was a phony, right?"
If I deposit someone's check then wait to make sure it clears before withdrawing the money how can they scam me? What do you and your father know that I should know?
Well, I was meaning say that sentence or a variant thereof simply to terrify the person, not that I had any family in law enforcement.

As for how the scam works, the money comes in via a cashier's check or a money order, and the bank usually takes a couple of weeks to get that cleared away. The scammer is working on that angle, and the hope that their forgery won't be discovered in that time. During the wait, where everything looks A-OK to you, they'll demand their product or money or whatever... a typical scam being a check that's got an extra 0 in it (the mentioned 3,000 instead of 300) and they ask for the difference to be wired back to them or whatever.

A month later, the bank says "Wait, that was a phony!" and takes 3000 out of your account. Since you've sent 2700 out, that leaves you in a position known as "Screwed"

Boomfrog wrote:
What's the scam here? They are paying you to launder money?
The scam is... well, let's see... wiring money and getting a check are two different things. The check was most assuredly a forged check, something that may not be determined for an alarming amount of time - and the idea being that whatever the forged amount was, they were getting 66% of it.

Wiring money is not the same as sending a check - with a check there's a paper trail and a chance for the person sending the money to cancel the check before it's cashed. With wiring, once you send it, it's gone. Poof.

But yeah.. any time someone online tries to pay for something and overpays grossly and expects you to send the difference back... it's a scam.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:"Well, my dad worked for the FBI for a while, and because of that he passed his paranoia on to me, so I never cash a check or anything like that until I've had his old buddies thoroughly investigate it. Shouldn't be much longer now, I mean, it's not like the check was a phony, right?"

"Hello? Hello? You still on the line?"
SecondTalon wrote:But yeah.. any time someone online tries to pay for something and overpays grossly and expects you to send the difference back... it's a scam.

And to clarify, I'm aware that there was likely not in fact a husband, wife, or daughter involved. My guess is they simply had a friend who was sitting at the other address, ready to cash the checks that arrived. Or even yes, no one at all, simply a dummy mailbox set to forward mail. It's still fun to think about though, and because I received a phone call, I simply HAD to try fucking with them.
But yes, scam is 'Send check/money order/wire for x+y dollars, and demand I send back x or y dollars. I do so before check clears, leaving me out x or y dollars'.
There's no reason whatsoever that someone would ever legitimately send you a check for 800 dollars and want 500 back when you were owed 300. If you feel their legit, just tell them to cancel the check and send you 300 dollars.
Apparently in some states (in Illinois anyway) it's illegal to cash a check that you know is fraudulent. If you go into a bank and say that you fear the check is fraudulent, I have no idea how they unravel the mess that occurs if it turns out to be.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby ladixon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

Almost definitely!! Does anyone ever actually reply I wonder...
ladixon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

ladixon wrote:Almost definitely!! Does anyone ever actually reply I wonder...
It only takes one.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby pooteeweet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
ladixon wrote:Almost definitely!! Does anyone ever actually reply I wonder...
It only takes one.

Yeah, I remember when I got my first Nigerian prince spam at age 10 or so, back when the internet was still pretty young, and a small part of me thought that maybe it was for real... Although even at that innocent age I knew enough to be a little suspicious, so it really makes me wonder about the people who fall for this stuff. I guess this example, and other techniques that spammers employ these days, are a bit less obvious than the original Nigerian prince thing, but still.
pooteeweet

Postby thc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 am UTC

I sometimes wonder if some of these so-called 419 scammers are just people who are bored and lonely, know that people will try troll them to death, and just play along anyway, because they are just THAT bored and lonely. A sort of mutual trolling.
thc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:Yeah, I remember when I got my first Nigerian prince spam at age 10 or so, back when the internet was still pretty young, and a small part of me thought that maybe it was for real... Although even at that innocent age I knew enough to be a little suspicious, so it really makes me wonder about the people who fall for this stuff. I guess this example, and other techniques that spammers employ these days, are a bit less obvious than the original Nigerian prince thing, but still.

Actually, yesterday I got a good old fashioned "there's this rich uncle that you've never heard of, and he's kinda dead, and I'm his lawyer" spam - I noticed it because somehow it got through googles spam filter.

And that one is just as obvious as the Nigerian prince really.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:30 am UTC

This seems pretty sketch. I wouldn't believe it.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Pkrknight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

I received the same email and I live in Denver. I googled "Florina Orth" and she has sent this exact email to people in Georia and Milwaukee. I also never submitted a Craigslist ad but "she" asked me to remove my ad.

Scammer for sure.
Pkrknight

Postby tmart2008 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Had my hopes up for a roommate, until I googled her name and this thread came up. Bitch (probably a dude) has an uncle here in Idaho also :lol:

Identical email as some of you have received.
tmart2008

Postby hintss » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:41 am UTC

a phishing email I once got, I replied with suggestions on making the email more realistic.

apparently, he was 12, male, and uses yahoo.

and I just now got a 419 email. I replied, telling his spambots to gather more data
hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:53 am UTC

was this an attempted hack?
Hey, man, wanna get some action? You’ll Get Your Baby Blasted!matlvi
oqetix

inthe inthy intid intil intim intinzsiuok
fqrkje

intio intis intjs intmm intnl $(macros2)tmfkzb
abgdpc

$(macros2) $(macros2) $(macros

and finally, some truth:
Hello

Hey am Betty,i came across your email now when i was brousing the
internet, and you really got me intrested, My dear, i decided to contact you.
i really want to have a good friendship with you. I will be very happy,
If you can get back to me with my e-mail address so we can get to know each other
better,and i well give you my pictures and also tell you more about me
ok, maybe we can start from there,Beside i have something i want to discuse with you,
that i can write and send it to you. Have a nice day
Best Regards
Yours Betty.

above was from hotmail

ya, sure, like a government email comes from hotmail
This missive is to inform you that WEST AFRICA in conjunction with Oxfam GB has awarded you a cash grant of £ 850,000.00 (Eight Hundred and Fifty Thousand Pounds) in

our Rural Development Programme. For further details reply ASAP.

Name:John Erere
E-mail:oxfam_01@yahoo.gr

Thank You,
John Erere
Vice President
Oxfam GB-West Africa
hintss

Postby charlee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

Yes. It is a scam. I am going through that right now. Her name is Florina Orth. I didn't catch on until now and I have been in contact with "her" for about a month or so. I posted an ad on craigslist for a room for rent in Hawaii. I only asked for $500, but she sent me $2,950. I was very confused. She wanted me to wire money from western union to Ukraine for the name ODENS MARTINS. I deposited the check into my account and LUCKILY the check was put on HOLD. My bank account was fairly new and I never had large checks deposited before. When the check cleared, I wired only about $450 from the ATM. My boyfriend kept telling me that it didn't seem right, that I should stop and not send the money. I was so naive. I kept telling him, it's not my money so I'm not losing anything. Anyways, the person kept rushing me, "HELLO CHARLEE. WHERE ARE YOU? CAN YOU SEND THE MONEY TODAY" I gave so many excuses like, "my dad is in the hospital, please leave me alone. its a family emergency". They kept asking questions, kept talking to me. Finally, I told them I needed to speak with them and she said that she was in France for an audition and wasn't going to be here until her stuff was here. I was actually at the western union about to wire the rest of the money. The system went down and I got real nervous. I looked over and saw a flyer, "don't fall victim to fraud". I thought these were all omens. I took the flyer and the money transfer was sent. I didn't tell the person that it was sent until I looked into it more. I googled the name ODENS MARTINS and saw a bunch of links saying "fraud" and "scammers". I was pissed! I googled the name "Florina Orth" and all of these scammer forums came up. I immediately had the transfer canceled. I definitely took this one way further than most of you.
They act to be really concerned about you and your life. They act like they really care, that you can trust them. My boyfriend caught on real quick, and I didn't reason it until just now. She was very hostile. Scary thing is that the person "Florina", called me this morning from an unknown number. At first, she said she couldn't call and all of a sudden they are calling from an unknown number. I didn't answer. She left a voicemail, that I accidentally deleted. It was a girl - with a Ukraine accent. I recognized it because I had a friend from Ukraine. She definitely was not from the United States or from France, like she said. Also, I googled it, and she sent the same email to me as she had to lots and lots of different people. BE CAREFUL! Don't be stupid like I was. Know the signs before it happens to you.
charlee

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 am UTC

These scammers really piss me off. My friend's grandparents got taken for their whole life savings because they were conned into thinking they were paying for legal representation for their granddaughter in a DUI case. They posed as their granddaughter, her friend and her lawyer... it took place mostly over the phone, not the internet, but the bottom line is that if you're ever suspicious, listen to your instinct and check out EVERYTHING before taking any action that seems odd and bottom line, never do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. I have my own internet version of the null hypothesis, I assume everything is a fraud and every person is fake until I find tangible evidence to the contrary.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Metaphysician

Postby chritra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

The most awful thing is that scammers become more and more inventive. Sometimes when you see that you've another lottery it's really easy to believe it with all those signatures and data and so on.
Read cell phone signal booster review.
Use spy headphones Pay Attention To Avoid Car Accidents
chritra

Postby philsov » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

charlee wrote: BE CAREFUL! Don't be stupid like I was. Know the signs before it happens to you.

So... they attempted to launder money through you and you made ~$2500?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby Yakk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

No. They attempted to scam her, and she lost 450$ (or, hopefully, by "wired" she means "withdrew from the bank", and not "wired back" or whatever).

The cheque that they send is never, in the end, valid. It might take months for it to be proven invalid, but they aren't actually going to give you money, because it is a numbers game. And they won't have the bankroll to send real money to dozens of people.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Return to General