Do you make up stories in your head?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Do you make up stories in your head?

Postby setzer777 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:00 am UTC

Do you ever make up fantasies or stories in your head that you do not take part in?

It seems like a lot of people don't after childhood (or maybe they just don't admit it, I don't know). It seems like once you have grown up, it is not considered "normal" to make up stories in your head (unless they are about yourself) if you do not plan on sharing them with other people.

Personally, I have always been and still am a big day-dreamer. I like making up whole worlds and histories and then thinking about individual characters and stories that are only a tiny part of a larger setting.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Re: Do you make up stories in your head?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 am UTC

i believe this means you should grow up to be a writer of some sort.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Promicin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Of course I do, and I write stories, too. Sometimes I have whole conversations in my head with strangers I pass on the street.
Promicin

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Yep, in several ways. There's the things I write down, and there's times when I decide the backstory for people on the streets, imagining why they got there etc, and sometimes I zone out and let people have strange conversations with each other.
http://zombiesintelligently.com : blogful of words and flash fiction. Now also music? Broadcast from the Tundra.
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Yarn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

Why yes I do, but it's never anything interesting, but I guess it's better than nothing.
*cough*
Yarn

Postby beyondweird » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

All the time. It can vary from narrating the scene in front of me (but adding backstories to the people whose lives I don't know!) to entire worlds, populated with characters.

Of what I daydream about, about...50% is written down, the other half is just my daydream space :)
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.
beyondweird

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Well, I carry on whole conversations with people in my head, but I suppose these don't qualify for the thread because they're about myself. I also do daydreams starring characters in whatever book/movie/TV show I happen to be absorbing at that time.

I guess I haven't actually constructed a whole fantasyland the way I used to with my sister on the playground. But I do world-build quite a bit with my best friend whenever we talk about fanfiction.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby ipreferpi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 am UTC

I do this and have all my life. I have a lot of them, and they are really intricate and long. I usually just use them to fill time while I'm waiting for something. Usually they're about me, but a different version of me (not what I would say or do in real life), but plenty of time they're about other people. Whenever it's about other people it's about people I make up, not people I've met/see around me, because pretending someone you know/see is someone else or has some history or would do a certain thing in your fantasy situation just feels kinda wrong to me. I'll often do this as a continuation of my dreams too. Everyone I've talked to about this doesn't have stories, though, so I think it's a little out of the ordinary but not weird weird.
Message me if you feel like talking. I like to talk, but prefer messages to posts.

"You never give me your distance, you only give me acceleration, and in the middle of the integration, I break down."
ipreferpi

Postby BigBoss » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 am UTC

I do all the time. I've never been able to transfer my thoughts onto paper. My day-dreams are usually episodic. I come up with an idea, and whenever I day-dream, I add onto the story untill it ends. They usually occur in the same world, and sometimes I'll have crossovers between storylines.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian
BigBoss

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:52 am UTC

It just occurred to me that what might qualify for this thread is that I have some pretty...uh...creative, detailed, and complex sexual fantasy scenarios. Generally starring characters who are not me, with backstories and everything. Which, yes, I will bring out and daydream about in public sometimes to pass the time.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby setzer777 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:10 am UTC

ipreferpi wrote:Whenever it's about other people it's about people I make up, not people I've met/see around me, because pretending someone you know/see is someone else or has some history or would do a certain thing in your fantasy situation just feels kinda wrong to me.

I get a very similar feeling! Not necessarily for how someone could act (I don't have trouble having sexual fantasies about people, or imagining how conversations with them would go), but if I try to make up backstories about people, I'm always overwhelmed by the feeling of wrongness, knowing that the story I'm creating about them is false.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 am UTC

All the time. It's just something I've always done. Some of them are incredibly intricate and I've had them in my head for 9-10 years or so. At one point, I tried turning one into a comic strip, but my artistic skills were too weak at the time. Besides, I'm so pathologically insecure I doubt anyone would actually want to read them.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.
Dave_Wise

Postby tin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 am UTC

I'm constantly thinking of stories in my head which I can bring out in my work as an animator and filmmaker. I am away with the fairies and daydream quite a bit, thinking about lots of tiny bits of ideas and scenes and scenarios and characters. The tricky part is making them fully formed and powerful enough, emotionally, so that I can share them with the world and they can understand the meaning behind the story.
i dare you to take me on...
tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am UTC

I seem to think of ideas for stories fairly often, but they often lack detail. The premise often seems to come to me as a flash of inspiration, but fleshing that out into a full-fledged story is much rarer. The weird thing is that if I think it would make a good comic / graphic novel, I think it out visually, but if it seems more like a normal story I don't.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Tiglette » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 am UTC

I do this too. Most of the time it's me, but with a characteristic or two stronger/different, though sometimes I give the character a different name if it seems awkward, placed in a completely improbable situation, not only in a I-wouldn't-put-myself there way, but also a where-in-existence-is-that-possible way. I go through times when I hardly make up stories, and others when I do all the time. I will continue dreams, but mostly its just based on a random thought. I often go to bed furthering the story.
I also have problems putting other real people in the story. I can never think of how they'd react, so they quickly turn into straw versions of themselves and I move onto another playground.
Tiglette

Location: physically: DC, USA. my mind? Tell you when it finds me

Postby Obby » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

I wouldn't necessarily call them stories... More like scenarios. Usually they're short little scenes that I play out in my head after my imagination runs wild with something I've seen or overheard. I never write them down, however. Usually they're not very detailed and are pretty difficult to recall hours later when I'm actually in a position to write them down.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby Josephine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call them stories... More like scenarios. Usually they're short little scenes that I play out in my head after my imagination runs wild with something I've seen or overheard. I never write them down, however. Usually they're not very detailed and are pretty difficult to recall hours later when I'm actually in a position to write them down.

I do something similar. Usually demonstrating some kind of technology. Often to people from some point in the past.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

I have a tendency to slip into booking imaginary wrestling angles in my head from time to time. Mainly though, I get the tendency to invent sports in my head, and work out histories of competition formats and stuff, as an odd fictional non-fiction narrative. Usually its yet another derivative from the football family.
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever
a_fuzzyduck

Postby Sarr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

All the freaking time. I try to write it down, but once I start it just doesn't flow as well as it did on my head, so the furthest I've gotten is a couple chapters into a story that was far longer in my head.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.
Sarr

Postby Tiem » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:All the freaking time. I try to write it down, but once I start it just doesn't flow as well as it did on my head, so the furthest I've gotten is a couple chapters into a story that was far longer in my head.

I know, I just can't bring myself to write my fantasies down, no matter how much I try. :(

Thank god, I thought I was alone on this. I've always lacked the ability to focus, and daydreaming has filled the void where focusing should be. I add on to the same recurring daydream for days, months, or even years if it's interesting enough. Sometimes I watch it like a movie in my head, other times I narrate it and then see whatever I'm narrating.

Anyone else narrate their daydreams?
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos
Tiem

Postby beyondweird » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Tiem wrote:Anyone else narrate their daydreams?

I narrate everything.
I have, on occasion been known to end a sentence with 'she said'. This is rare, but usually happens if I've been daydreaming and get interuppted. There have been occasions where it's been:
"Hey, you look distracted?"
"Oh, just thinking, she sai-just thinking."
"What did you say?"
"Nothing!"

It's a terrible habit.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.
beyondweird

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

I rather frequently indulge in flights of fancy, but they generally construct themselves with the understanding that they are a creative process for my stories, and thus are composed of the relevant characters, setting, and plot.

I suppose it is the reverse of going 'that was cool, I'll use it in my story'.

Of course, on rare occasions, I have more genuine daydreams, even of the Heroic kind. In these Hero fantasies, though, I am neither our knight in gleaming white (who is a lady, generally) or our damsel of the vapours, but instead a bystander. A bystander who thinks it's really cool and wants to be involved :|
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby olubunmi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

I do this all the time.
I've created a complete universe where plenty stuff I made up fits in someway or another.
Or sometimes it's just a real dream I had which I then develop further, or a highly improbable scenario analyse to ridiculous levels. (lately, about me loosing my left leg in a car crash and later becoming prime minister. Then stepping down after a year to raise a godson. I said highly improbably right :p
I'm doing this for as long as I can remember.

I think I started what is now the main story about 10 years ago, and recently I started clearing up inconsistencies and retelling stuff I made up years ago. And I also pay more attention to details in the environment and appearance of the characters.
All in all, it's rather time consuming...

I've never tried to write it down by the way. If I'm ever going to do that, I should probably start with a character sheet and a timeline.
But noone would want to read it anyways, so why bother.
olubunmi

Postby NotGrouchy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

The key is to remember to make everything seem as outlandish and unbelievable as possible. Then you can finish it off with "and it was all a dream !" It's like adding fairy dust to cake that compliments your dress sense with every bite.

I should take my idea to Mr. Christopher Nolan, and see if he shares this vision, and may incorporate it into his future works !

-NG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., hugs!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to SPREAD LOVE AMONG HIS FELLOW MAN....
Sungura wrote:I really miss him. Every day. He was pretty snuggly.
NotGrouchy

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Do I make up stories in my head?
Yes, always.
Brainssss
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

:shock: That angry squirrel is wearing Mad Hettie's hat.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

That angry squirrel was at Woodstock.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

I get distracted and off track pretty quickly if I try to think of a story and dialogue in fantasy settings (imagining dialogues between me and someone else is pretty easy) but if I try to explain an imaginary world as a history book or imagine a fight scene with armies or demigods, or try to explain made up technology in my head (I switch time periods depending on what I've been into recently. I've done mana based jets and spaceships in my head). Only time I ever write it is for when I have to write stories for school or when I try to get the imaginary worlds set in stone for once, at which case I get bored, leave them half-written, and lose the papers.
Canineteeth

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

When I grow up, I want to be a writer.

Or a Jeep.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Luonnos » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:42 am UTC

I constantly narrate my life. It's rare that there's a legitimate conversation going on up there, but thoughts and observations are always turned into complete sentences (in Morgan Freeman's voice if I'm lucky).

When I'm bored I do occasionally create little snapshots of universes with new technology/history/wars. I've expanded a couple of these into what I hope could be comics, but I too lack art ability. If I'm really bored I'll just start explaining stuff I see to historical figures, usually ones which I later realize never spoke English.
Luonnos

Postby Kaelri » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:57 am UTC

I've done this all the time, for as long as I can remember. Most of my writing ideas come from improvised, stream-of-consciousness scenarios that I not only visualize, but act out. I pace around my room mumbling dialogue, mimicking body language and choreographing action sequences with my fingers. If anyone ever saw me, they'd think I was a lunatic.

My most consistent head-world is an absurd mashup of the Star Trek, West Wing and Myst settings, borrowing from several others, and is constantly evolving. Its protagonist is a woman who does not belong to any of those franchises, but whose appearance was originally based on Amy Jo Johnson, the pink Power Ranger. You are much better off knowing nothing more about this.

For whatever reason, I am never an occupant of my head-worlds. I'm always an omniscient observer of my own thoughts.
Kaelri

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Kaelri wrote:I'm always an omniscient observer of my own thoughts.

That... is a pretty good description of my consciousness in general, actually. Yeah, I do the explaining technology to historical figures thing, I also daydream frequently about what I would do if i had superpowers (mainly telekinesis).
BlazeOrangeDeer

Postby Woopate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I do this all the time, and all of my worlds are VERY intricate, from architecture styles to how civilizations therein are percieved versus their actual code of ethics, histories spanning from the beginning of the world to the end. I have been told I'm more-than-competant at writing, but I can only get a few chapters into a story before I look at it, realize how tiny a fraction of what I want to convey that I managed to get across. Then I realize that without making the project my life's work, I'd never be able to complete it without making it feel horribly rushed. When I DM for D&D, I usually use one of my fantasized worlds, which allows me a way of "publishing" to my players a complete world, without it being complete yet. I just flesh everything out a few steps ahead of where they are.

Also, yeah, omniscient observer here. Even in dreams where my persona is a character.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:22 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Well, I carry on whole conversations with people in my head, but I suppose these don't qualify for the thread because they're about myself.

Yeah, I do this one all the time.

I suppose I also come up with a bunch of stories in my head, but they're generally not that interesting and usually swiftly discarded. But occasionally I keep some around.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

I often come up with stories, or characters. Playing tabletop RPGs makes this handy, so I try to store them away for later use if I need to pull one out at the table. Sometimes I have long epics running through my head for a while, where I'll think about them for a few minutes a day--a few weeks ago I went through one about how a man's near godlike power conflicted with society.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.
Sir_Elderberry

Postby illford » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

i do this when i am bored, i am usually a starship captain, sometimes a ninja, and one time i was both. then i get a little sad because that will never happen.
illford

Postby Roberthree » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

I do the thing where you explain technologies to people from the past in my head. I constantly have conversations with myself. (Normally three people, the devils advocate, the rash emotional guy, and the levelheaded guy. They take these characteristics to extremes and actively discuss things in my head constantly. Like, with words. I literally spend a bunch of time arguing with myself.) I like to imagine myself with superpowers throughout the day also.

And when I have time to just sit and think, I often go back to one of two really cool ideas that I really should write down and sell as a book one of these days. One is about a guy who finds a device that allows massive amounts of people to share their thoughts, memories, experiences, etc. in a constant stream of information. I call it the thought-pool and it basically means that everyone has everyone's knowledge and thoughts. The antagonist is trying to implement the device and get everyone in the world to be a part of it in an attempt to end all conflict and jump-start the advancement of the human race. (imagine if instead of needing to go to school for two decades, you could just plug into a computer and become an expert in pretty much every subject. Or instead of reading journals and repeating experiments, everyone automatically observed the actual experiment and saw the results themselves.) Naturally this inspires fear in people because they see it as a loss of freedom, and some even see it as the antagonist just using a mind control device. I often portray the antagonist sympathetically, since I really believe that more efficient communication and understanding would end most of our problems. One key point in the story is that the first few applications had some adverse effects, namely driving one character insane and making another completely devoid of individuality. These kinks are worked out by the time everyday people are being added to the thought-pool but because the pro-thought-pool faction has wildly advanced technology, the insane individuals are pretty much invulnerable. They go around "converting" people by force and in some cases euthanizing those that they see as "irredeemable". They often get grouped in with the thought-pool's creator and the thought-pool itself, but they are mostly acting on their own.

The other idea I have isn't really as interesting and sounds more like an RPG plot so I'll just leave it out of this post for now.
Roberthree

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Roberthree wrote:I do the thing where you explain technologies to people from the past in my head.

I do this with Thomas Jefferson.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.
Sir_Elderberry

Postby DerVorleser » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

I do this all the time when I'm moving from place to place. I.e. on the subway, while walking etc. The real world never seems to live up to my fictional one's :cry:
Image <3
DerVorleser

Postby Kaelri » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Roberthree wrote:I do the thing where you explain technologies to people from the past in my head.

I do this with Thomas Jefferson.

I tell Martin Luther King, Jr. about the first black president.
Kaelri

Next

Return to General