How do we know you have a face unless you post it?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Back to post yo' face

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:04 am UTC

I was talking to Rachel earlier about facial hair (and how she likes beards, but not goatees, and how certain other people ::coughRencough:: don't like facial hair of any kind), and decided to go onto my back deck and take a current picture of myself. The muttonchops in the avatar, as some of you know (anyone who's been paying attention to this thread, I believe) are from a complete beard-shaving session I had the night before the meetup. I shaved every day for, well, only about 5 days after that, and then went back to the goatee. So, this is what I looked like earlier this afternoon.
meoutside.jpg
meoutside.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 4626 times

Edit: Wow, I think this is about the third or fourth page I've started in this topic. Which is strange, since I really don't post here all that much, compared to some other threads.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 am UTC

You look rather melancholic there. Scenery is rather stunning, though.

I am rather divided on my opinion re facial hair. On an aesthetic level I think a light stubble can be incredibly sexy on a man, how and ever, it is absolute hell on his lady. So, the only way to rectify this is to keep clean shaven, or beardy enough to be soft rather than sharp. As long as my poor face doesn't have to suffer, I'm easy as to which option is chosen. Of course, though, some men will look better one way or another, but the sheer aesthetics of such don't matter too much to me.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:14 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I was talking to Rachel earlier about facial hair (and how she likes beards, but not goatees, and how certain other people ::coughRencough:: don't like facial hair of any kind), and decided to go onto my back deck and take a current picture of myself.

Awww, man. I am not good enough. Fuck you! See if I come to Michigan and shave it off, NOW, buddy.

Actually, scratch that. I am *definitely* coming and shaving it off now. :twisted:

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:31 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
22/7 wrote:Well, it's not really a matter of life or death, it's more a matter of twisted ankles or broken necks.

But were I spotting you, I'd do my best to not let you die.

You say the sweetest things...and can't someone die of a broken neck?

Well, yes. Broken back then? The point being, we're really just there to prevent *major*/serious injury. And the guy that I wasn't really spotting was only like a foot and a half off the ground.

Oh, and I thought you meant the McKinney up in Dallas. So unfortunately, it's not very near me. Spoiled Austinites and your close-by climbing.

Oh, and Reimer's is awesome.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:39 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:You look rather melancholic there. Scenery is rather stunning, though.

I am rather divided on my opinion re facial hair. On an aesthetic level I think a light stubble can be incredibly sexy on a man, how and ever, it is absolute hell on his lady. So, the only way to rectify this is to keep clean shaven, or beardy enough to be soft rather than sharp. As long as my poor face doesn't have to suffer, I'm easy as to which option is chosen. Of course, though, some men will look better one way or another, but the sheer aesthetics of such don't matter too much to me.

The thing with being clean-shaven is that, if I shave in the morning, then my skin is sandpapery by that very night. And sandpapery isn't fun for either me or anyone kissing me. Right now, because I hate shaving, I've been trimming the rest of my face as close as the trimmer will go, and leaving it at that. I know that leaves the hair at about its sharpest, though it starts getting soft after another day or so, but at the moment, I'm just doing it for the appearance, since no one is kissing me regularly. (I've said before that basically the only person whose opinion would matter enough to get me back into shaving regularly is someone who does kiss me periodically, and who could therefore withhold said kissing if my face isn't as she likes it.) I used to have the full beard going, and never got any female complaints about how it felt (some even commented on how soft it was), which leads me to suspect that this silly anti-beard lobby a couple of the mods have going is based more on looks and fear than on actual experience.

Honestly, the chops may make a reappearance at some point. Whatever one might say about how they look, muttonchops do have certain advantages. Most importantly, they still allow me to not have to shave my entire face. Also, with the lack of hair in the immediate mouth area, things like heady beer, foamy cappuccino, and cunnilingus are going to be way less messy than with either a full beard or just a goatee.

thefiddler wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:I was talking to Rachel earlier about facial hair (and how she likes beards, but not goatees, and how certain other people ::coughRencough:: don't like facial hair of any kind), and decided to go onto my back deck and take a current picture of myself.

Awww, man. I am not good enough. Fuck you! See if I come to Michigan and shave it off, NOW, buddy.

Actually, scratch that. I am *definitely* coming and shaving it off now.

Well, with her (obviously mistaken) claims that ladies in general don't like kissing guys with beards, Ren was more adamantly opposing the very idea of beards than you seemed to be, and it would have been awkward to try and fit multiple names into one cough like that. If you'd like, though, I'll make a point to include your name the next time I refer to the anti beard camp. :-)≡
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:45 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
thefiddler wrote:

Actually, scratch that. I am *definitely* coming and shaving it off now.

Well, with her (obviously mistaken) claims that ladies in general don't like kissing guys with beards, Ren was more adamantly opposing the very idea of beards than you seemed to be, and it would have been awkward to try and fit multiple names into one cough like that. If you'd like, though, I'll make a point to include your name the next time I refer to the anti beard camp. :-)

And just how many ladies have you been kissing lately, with that beard? HMMM?

Shave it all off. NOW!

'Sides, you're smarter with less beard. :D

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:55 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:And just how many ladies have you been kissing lately, with that beard? HMMM?

Over the course of my lifetime, I kissed way, way more ladies with the beard than without it. I haven't been kissed by one single lady since shaving it off a couple weeks ago. So unless you're prepared to buck that trend yourself, I'm going to stick to believing that having the beard is better.
---

(he/him/his)

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Beardiness is all manly and snuggly, and soft and strokable and most importantly does now tear Cara's face to bits. Does a stubbly face really affect the man as well, though?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:26 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Does a stubbly face really affect the man as well, though?

It can, yeah, depending on how stubbly. I imagine it's akin to what it feels like for a woman to have her legs at that prickly hair's-short-but-still-present stage. Worse for the partner, perhaps, but uncomfortable for oneself, too.
---

(he/him/his)

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:27 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

It can, yeah, depending on how stubbly. I imagine it's akin to what it feels like for a woman to have her legs at that prickly hair's-short-but-still-present stage. Worse for the partner, perhaps, but uncomfortable for oneself, too.

My friend's say it's itchy and it drives them nuts.

My brain has been broken enough for tonight.

I'll concede that maybe beards aren't so bad, but I'm still going to shave yours.

EDIT: My mind breaks again every time I read that. Ugh. :P

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:31 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

Well a stubbly leg, in itself, doesn't really feel like anything, there's only an issue with close fitting trousers/stockings or brushing one up against the other, the friction is firestarter worthy...but neither of these really apply to the face. Anyway, I think we can all agree on the heinous nature of beard burn.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:I'll concede that maybe beards aren't so bad, but I'm still going to shave yours.

And I'll let you, if you're willing to prove that you really do prefer kissing someone without a beard. (This means before *and* after kisses, btw.)
---

(he/him/his)

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:36 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
thefiddler wrote:I'll concede that maybe beards aren't so bad, but I'm still going to shave yours.

And I'll let you, if you're willing to prove that you really do prefer kissing someone without a beard. (This means before *and* after kisses, btw.)

Deal. Are we supposed to, uh, seal it with a kiss? That seems to take the fun out of the whole thing.

So. Either whenever I am in Michigan or Ohio, we are going to have a Greg-Beard-Shaving-Party!

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Than the link, yes. I assumed you were talking about the linked one, since it's where I'm giving a *very bad* spot. The picture in question is

*bad spot image*

Now *that's* what I call a spot.

My sister broke her ankle falling while her spotter looked like that. It wasn't really his fault, but he didn't even really attempt to break her fall. I ripped into him a bit. Hehe, one of the guys I used to climb with taught me to spot properly by trying to cop a feel when they were climbing, then supporting their head if they come off. Unfortunately, when he said that I was spotting my cousin at the time. I wish I could climb more...

@Cara: your hair is looking pretty similar to mine.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:49 am UTC

I really can't wait till I can grow a full beard, it would be soo cool!
Uhm yes well I really do want pictures up here, I have no reasonable means as it seems though, sorry.
And 'for the record' Mr. Orange is plenty attractive!
=]

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:53 am UTC

I keep forgetting which old photos I have posted and which old ones I haven't. This is me with my friend Ruby.

Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:14 am UTC

(4:04:43 AM) Gordon: In other news
(4:04:47 AM) ***Gordon pokes jmrz
(4:05:09 AM) damienthebloody: there is other news?
(4:05:28 AM) Gordon: It's not really new, but I was looking through that there picture thread we have
(4:05:38 AM) Gordon: And jesus is Jamie cute
(4:05:52 AM) ***Jmrz pokes Gordon back
(4:06:01 AM) ***Gordon goes back to making sure things in General are somewhat in order
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:30 am UTC

jmrz wrote:I keep forgetting which old photos I have posted and which old ones I haven't.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6318&p=194238#p194238
That's one of the ones you have, apparently. :-)
---

(he/him/his)

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:03 am UTC

Hmm, nevermind, I am going to leave it up anyway. I like the photo.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

@jmrz

Is your skin really that perfect? Every picture I see, you're all dewy and even-toned.

*jealous*
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

I've posted this before, but I can't be bothered getting new pics and I don't think it's on this thread...

They're from, Paris, Rome, and Hong Kong, respectively.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:My sister broke her ankle falling while her spotter looked like that. It wasn't really his fault, but he didn't even really attempt to break her fall. I ripped into him a bit. Hehe, one of the guys I used to climb with taught me to spot properly by trying to cop a feel when they were climbing, then supporting their head if they come off. Unfortunately, when he said that I was spotting my cousin at the time. I wish I could climb more...

Yeah, like I said, it's a shit spot. But in my defense, he was all of 18 inches up and directly over a massive pad, and very, very upright. I'm a lot more lax in a gym, too, than I am outdoors.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

I haven't posted a pic for a while, so I started messing around with my iPhone. This one came out pretty good.

HodgeAtWork.jpg
HodgeAtWork.jpg (84.69 KiB) Viewed 4258 times

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

awww so daydreamy
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I hadn't cut my hair since before the summer and my beloved regular hairlady was on a sabbatical and I couldn't wait for her return, so I took a chance with her stand in. I was butchered. My poor beautiful hair.

This picture of you looks suspiciously demure. I don't trust it.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

d33p wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:I hadn't cut my hair since before the summer and my beloved regular hairlady was on a sabbatical and I couldn't wait for her return, so I took a chance with her stand in. I was butchered. My poor beautiful hair.

Never trust a picture of Cara. They've been known to bring down bull elephants in packs of as little as 5!

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:awww so dreamy

fix'd

To stay on-topic:

That is my face. When my hair was longer.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

I don't know if I'd prefer all the fora girls to be cute, like Rachel, and thus result in my wondering why I can't find a cute, compatible geeky girl or ugly and thus result in my wondering why the geeky girls aren't cute.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

Deal. Are we supposed to, uh, seal it with a kiss? That seems to take the fun out of the whole thing.

So. Either whenever I am in Michigan or Ohio, we are going to have a Greg-Beard-Shaving-Party!

I better be invited! I will be the voice of reason, because I actually like stubble and facial hair isn't that bad. Okay, I'll admit it, I <3 stubble on my boy.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:I don't know if I'd prefer all the fora girls to be cute, like Rachel, and thus result in my wondering why I can't find a cute, compatible geeky girl or ugly and thus result in my wondering why the geeky girls aren't cute.

QFTruthiness
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:@jmrz

Is your skin really that perfect? Every picture I see, you're all dewy and even-toned.

*jealous*

I'm almost certain that being good at photography helps, and from what I've seen, jmrz is certaintly good at photography. Who do you direct a question not directed at you to anyway, the one who asked it, I suppose?

I have very little else to input, other than crappy different but actually practically the same webcam pictures as always, so I'll skip for now.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
d33p wrote:

Never trust a picture of Cara. They've been known to bring down bull elephants in packs of as little as 5!

I've read this half a dozen times and still can't make sense of it.

pollywog...your revelation is not helping my devastation...I have hair like a boy! *sobs*

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I've read this half a dozen times and still can't make sense of it.

From what I can tell, it means that your innocent countenance belies the fact that there's a lethal, stealthy jungle creature lurking beneath.

Either that, or you're being compared to influenza. It's a toss-up.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

rachel wrote:
Clerria wrote:awww so dreamy

fix'd

To stay on-topic:

That is my face. When my hair was longer.

Rachel, I swear I have seen that picture of you before.

So I am going to do what you did to me. I demand fresh, new pictures of Rachel! Ones I haven't already seen!

(So take *that*.)

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:
22/7 wrote:Never trust a picture of Cara. They've been known to bring down bull elephants in packs of as little as 5!

I've read this half a dozen times and still can't make sense of it.

Damn, I hate it when these things fail. Packs of as little as five of (pictures of you) have been known to bring down bull elephants.

<--full of lose and fail.

Edited to reduce the massive quote pyramid.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Pssst. I totally got it.

After a few reads.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Wow, I uberfail, then. It really wasn't meant to be that hard to discern or eat up this much space. So for reparations (or rice crispy treats) here is a pic of me with a couple of friends at the belay ledge at the top of the first pitch of my first lead/trad climb ever, up at Red River Gorge in Kentucky.
^^I'm this one.^^

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

I want your friend's hat!

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

d33p wrote:I want your friend's hat!

the gap sells hats like that in wintertime
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Ah, that's a cute picture, and 22/7 really is quite pretty.

See, my confusion lay in the 'packs of five' element...I thought you were talking about packs of five elephants...and then the 'as little as' bit, well it was all just confusing. I'd not take too much responsibility for it if I were you, though...I am impossibly slow at time, I swear I'm blonde underneath all this brunette.

Return to “General”